[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
What are some /k/ grade books you could recommend?

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia is hands down the best fictional series involving highly detailed and accurate firearm operation and useage. Larry was a dealer and competition shooter before writing professionally and it shows in his writing. Hell, one of the guns is practically a character (saiga 12 with a fun switch and a bunch of goodies).

What do you recommend?
>>
>>28275482

I like MHI a lot, and have read everything Larry has written, but it is going way too far to call it the best depiction of guns in written fiction. He wrote the guns more for "hey wouldn't this be cool" or "how would this work out in a fantasy setting" and to complement the characters more than to reflect an attempt at realism.

Sam Haven carries a Marlin 1895, which really I could only see having been put in to match the character and for cool factor. If he wanted big bore and capacity, there are a number of special snowflake AR calibers that he could have chosen from. .458 Socom is actually supposed to emulate 45-70 ballistically IIRC, and uses .458 cal bullets for that reason.

It is a fucking awesome series tho and they found a creative use for an Anzio 20mm.
>>
File: download (42).jpg (10 KB, 177x285) Image search: [Google]
download (42).jpg
10 KB, 177x285
I love weird war stuff, so the Bitter Seeds triptych is one of my favorites. (Especially with the yandere, future manipulating psychic nazi chick.)

1632 series is alright, but the repetitive formula really lost me after finishing the first book. Problem at home, then extremely one sided battle, then someone gets rewarded with a love interest for doing something good. Repeat for five hundred pages.

Destroyermen gets a lot of love on here. It's about a WWII destroyer group that gets sent into an alternate universe. Read the first, and its pacing is a bit odd, but it's definitely solid.

Lost Fleet series is Destroyermen in space, a fleet of spaceships trapped behind enemy lines trying to return home. Gets astrophysics down incredibly well, and it deals with interpersonal drama a lot in a democratically run military.

Shadow Ops is X-Men meets Black Hawk Down. Only real problem is that the first spends more time on training and world building than on actual conflict and combat, though the few combat scenes are good. First three are very good, but the third changes things up a lot and is pretty eh.

And then there's a slew of paranormal detectives that aren't quite /k/, but do have some detail on guns. Harry Dresden gets a bigger gun every other book, Mick Oberon loves the twenties, and I bet half of /k/ would marry Jane Yellowrock or Koko Martstellar.
>>
>>28275482
Another series by the same author, it's called Dead Six. It's a bit edgy at times but it's bretty good. Also, Starship Troopers
>>
>>28275898
I like Destroyermen but it drags on way too long for my tastes
>>
>>28275963

IIRC he wrote dead six with an army EOD guy.
>>
>>28275987
Something like that, yeah
>>
>>28275759
Realistic depiction and practical application should be viewed differently. Sam described as carrying the Marlin is much more pleasant then "Sam shoots a wild west gun because cowboy."
>>
>>28275482
My current reading stack is
>Barbed wire, barricades and bunkers
>Total resistance
>The terrorists dilemma
>From dictatorship to democracy
>Seeing like a state
I dont really enjoy fiction
>>
>>28277983

That's fair.
>>
Shoot a gargoyle in the fucking face with a garand! Monster Hunter books get me diamonds.
>>
>>28279186

Then there was the Redneck-aristocrat farmer who blasted one in the face with a .458 Winmag when it was going to dump half a van on Owen.
>>
John Conroe's The Demon Accords series is pretty good. Main characters are a bit Mary Sue/Marty Stu but the most recent (Black Frost - a one off same universe different characters) included some good guns stuff, and whenever guns are involved it's pretty clear he knows what he's talking about.

Plus let's be honest, sometimes it's fun to read a series about the good guys roflstomping the baddies. Nice clear cut black and white good vs evil stuff. Bit of governmental grey area for good form.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed them. Strong male character I can identify with (esp. after book... 5? 6? When the Warlock comes into play [not a spoiler]), strong female characters that are badass without being stupidly written (IE - this woman can totally take trained men 5 on 1 because heroine).
>>
>>28275482
Blind Man's Bluff
>>
Dresden files has a wizard with a gun.
>>
>>28275482
anyone recommend Space durkka durkka book? All i know is killing star.
>>
>>28275482

Larry is also a member of a secret forum where i used to post.

Cringe inducing place full of middle aged faggots that need to be validated
>>
>>28275987
Air Force EOD. Guy sold me a couple of his guns. Good guy
>>
>>28281748
Thehighroad aint that bad.
>>
>>28275482
Fucking loved MHI

>Silver tipped PowerBall .45 in a Thompson
>Full auto saiga 12 with a grenade launcher and folding silver edged bayonet
>The solution to monsters is more bullets
>Agent. Mother. Fucking. Franks.
>How do train for zombies and wear wolves? 3gun.

Series is /k/ as fuck, when is the next one coming out?
>>
Joe Ledger series is pretty good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Ledger_Series
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.