[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reconstruction of a 14~15th century Vietnamese blade. I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
Reconstruction of a 14~15th century Vietnamese blade.

I've never seen anything of this type before. Maybe you guys have? Any other example?
>>
The ruined, excavated blade.
>>
>>28269154
Isengard/10 would equip army of Uruks with.
>>
>>28269164

Looks pretty fucking thick. How long is this piece?
>>
I'll take one.
>>
>>28269376
Sorry, anon. I have no idea. Looks to be about 1 m?
>>
The gold leaf inlay tells me that it's largely ceremonial, and possibly exaggerated. Do you know the dimensions?
>>
>>28269164
No way is anything that thick meant for combat.

>>28269505
Looks way longer than 1 meter to me.
>>
>>28269515
>>28269559
I figured so too. It's either ceremonial, or meant as a strength training/testing sword.

But it'd still be based on some real type of swords, right?
>>
>>28269154
Heavy slashing sabers aren't too uncommon. I'd say likely ceremonial, but asia has produced some wacky, heavy things to be used for the wildcard effect.

Semi related, bronze age slashing saber.
>>
>>28269604
Blade shape reminds me of the Chinese dadao/"big sword" used in WW2 mainly iirc, but those are much shorter.
>>
>>28269376
>>28269559
Look at how steep the distal taper is. It looks perfectly usable. There's also no outside scale shown to make absolute judgements about.
>>
You know, now that I've noticed the door behind the table, I'd say this blade is't any longer than 1 m. Probably ~80 cm.
>>
>>28269727
Those arrowheads and knife on the table next to it give a pretty good sense of scale. And even with the distal taper, the base of the blade is way too thick and just adds massive amounts of unnecessary weight. Compare it to European two-handed swords for example, they're not really thick at the base of the blade at all.
>>
>>28269819

I'd still hate to get hit with it. It's like a fucking crowbar that tapers to a sword on the end.
>>
>>28270321
That's exactly why its a shit sword. If you haven't noticed, crowbars are slow as fuck and handle like shit.
>>
>>28269819
actually you're wrong.
European swords are comparatively thicker towards the base than they are at the tip.
It might help you to compare that to sabers that way it's easier to see and you don't have to guess at cross sectional thickness.
>>
>>28269154
Looks like a khemer executioners blade.
>>
>>28269154
if it had any real use, the design at least, it was probably made to clear brush as well as clear heads
>>
>>28269672
whats the point of keeping the curled tip at the end? why not just have it end like a latin machete
>>
Looks more like an art piece or a reconstructed exotic piece, definitely not an actual renaissance era weapon
>>
>>28271949
I'm guessing for more mass to do the choppy chop and reversing for an axe type effect or becasue it looks cool.
>>
>>28271928
It is very interesting. It shares a lot of the characteristics of other SE Asian execution swords.

It looks like a precursor to the Philippine one and very similar to some Chinese executioners blades but more elegant....

http://www.ashokaarts.com/shop/large-chinese-dao-sword-of-chopper-or-cleaver-type

The sword is also widely used as part of ritualised dance to this day throughout the region from Burma to Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACQIHJb3o4.

It is not for combat. It is a ritual weapon either for capital punishment or entertainment.

Very interesting. Good find OP.
>>
File: 1_dhalwe-specs.jpg (19 KB, 1400x324) Image search: [Google]
1_dhalwe-specs.jpg
19 KB, 1400x324
Like a stylish Dha-lwe
>>
>>28272098
>mixing cm and inches
>>
>>28272098
Do they usually use holes and pegs to hold the handle to the tangs? Has anyone seen a dha disassembled?
>>
>>28271836
Yes, swords are mostly thicker at the base of the blade, but not THAT much. Did you even look at >>28269164 ? Even at the part where the blade has broken, it is at least as thick as the HANDLE of the knife on the table, and even thicker at the base. It doesn't even look like it even has an edge until about halfway down the blade.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.