[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/ - Military Enlistment General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: whpoX5y.jpg (173 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
whpoX5y.jpg
173 KB, 800x533
Almost not a civilian edition

>IRC Channel

#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.con
For Ranger info, obviously.

>Specialtactics.com
For all AFSOC related info, but the site is currently down. Hoping it'll get back up soon.

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general
>>
>>28265596
>tfw no boots in the ground

I hope we get middle east 3: dindu boogaloo once I get out of Uni.
>>
>>28265752
Watch below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGugpmN_S8w

Does /k/ have any good military lectures?
>>
File: 1444541959885.jpg (155 KB, 652x784) Image search: [Google]
1444541959885.jpg
155 KB, 652x784
Hello fellow aspirants. I'm wanting to be a Royal Marines officer and need to be fit to pass the POC in approximately a year's time. I'm more or less sedentary currently although I do the occasional one mile jog or pullups in the door frame if I'm bored.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed about how to go about training/setting up a routine, any suggestions?
>>
When someone says "long distance running", what does one mean? I run 40 minutes aimlessly. I have no idea how close that is to "long distance".
>>
>>28265896
get a running app and track your mileage senpai

I usually think 10k+ when I think "long distance"
>>
What's the average age in booty camp? Especially curios about marine boot camp
>>
>>28265946
>curios
you'll fit right into the marines buddy
>>
I recently turned 25 and I've pretty much meaninglessly been flitting through life. Went to CC and got an associates degree. Moved on to university and am just a semester or two away from getting my bachelors, but totally lost interest in what I was doing and saw the whole thing as pointless. So I cut my loses and just stopped going. I've now about 20k in student loan debt, and have started to have the desire to go back and finish my degree. I work full time as a pharmacy technician and make not unlivable pay at 30K per year.

I realize that what I'm missing out on in life is a sense of accomplishment, discipline, and skill. I've been toying around with the idea of joining either the National Guard or the Reserves. Both are local and I would be able to keep my full time job and all that in addition to getting that supplemental pay which would be equivalent to a car payment or what have you. The main benefit I would be after would be student loan repayment. And since I'm so close to finishing my bachelor's degree the thought has crossed my mind that while enlisted I could get that tidied up, and apply to be an officer and get that pay increase.

Does anyone have an experience with being in the AR or NG? Are the benefits worth it? Obviously I don't expect to get turned into the perfect guy from the experience but I do expect to become a more well rounded citizen and person by atleast doing something that resembles duty.
>>
Loki, my man

When do you ship?
>>
>>28265960
>enlisted persons making light of other enlisted persons' intellect
How does this work? Is someone supposed to magically forget you flunked out of college?
>>
>>28265865

Crawsfit style metcons.

Keep the weight light so you don't injure yourself.
>>
File: 1434186336172.jpg (11 KB, 200x291) Image search: [Google]
1434186336172.jpg
11 KB, 200x291
>12 hours until my hour and a half drive to MEPS
Someone tell me this dermatologist consult will go okay and I won't wind up getting a medical disqualification before tomorrow is done. I don't care about getting some cool operator job, I'm after some Cyber Security related or Civil Engineering, surely bad skin doesn't matter for those, right?
>>
>>28265985
NG is really all over the place because its state by state. I'm active duty and I have NG friends that went to Basic/AIT with me that to this day haven't been able to even hit E5 because lol slots are full, let alone go green to gold. By the same token the opposite is possible. I'd say safest bet is tough out your degree as a civ, go straight for the commission for the sake of having it in your contract and avoid later shenanigans
>>
>>28266049
>mfw my meps place was 5 minutes away
>>
>>28265990
What makes you think I'm enlisted?
>>
File: 1439518428252.png (71 KB, 1240x1256) Image search: [Google]
1439518428252.png
71 KB, 1240x1256
>>28266075
i forgot a face
>>
>>28266000
nice trips my man, but what the shit is metcon? I don't know jack about crossfit.
>>
Anybody have theArmy MOS 35F, or know others who do? I would like to know more about what to expect and study up on. I ship fairly soon, just got out of MEPS a few days ago.
>>
If I walk into a recruiters office being able to max the PT and have a STEM degree how hard would it be to get a 68W+opt40 contract?
>>
>>28266116

Metcon = metabolic conditioning

It's a gay portmanteau for "cardio with weights"

Do stuff like cleans and power snatches with light weights for time. It's the kind of training rugby teams and increasingly police and military are using.

The trick is using light weight. You won't get strong, but who needs to snatch 100 in a warzone?
>>
>>28266116
Look up SS in /fit/. Or if you want to be really ambitious, research and train Hypertrophy.
>>
>>28266171
thanks mate, know any good programs I can look up?
>>28266180
Isn't SS the polar opposite of what that guy's talking about? SS is low reps, high weight.
>>
File: 1415725896615.jpg (26 KB, 697x640) Image search: [Google]
1415725896615.jpg
26 KB, 697x640
>>28265855
DOES /k/ HAVE ANY GOOD MILITARY LECTURES?

Posting click bait
>>
>>28266180

Yeah, because someone taking up a career in marching long distances and endurance shit really needs a high squat 1rm
>>
>>28266200

Try this:

http://competitorstraining.com

Good resource for workouts. Programming isn't that important for what you want because you're not looking to hit big maxes for competitions. Also try the Catalyst Athletics website.
>>
>>28266245
thanks mang.
>>
File: 2zstogi.jpg (116 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2zstogi.jpg
116 KB, 1024x768
>>28266154
To your recruiters all of that doesn't mean anything. All that matters really is your GT score when you take the ASVAB and if that contract is available at the moment. Having a 4 year degree will let you go to basic as an E4 I believe, but other than they wont really care.

All it took for my to get my 11x opt 40 contract was the 110 GT score and that it was luckily the last contract available to grab.

>>28265989
Hey man, my ship date got changed a day earlier for some reason, so instead on January 4th it's the 3rd now. You still good to ship in June/July?
>>
File: S3.webm (630 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
S3.webm
630 KB, 1280x720
So here is my plan

I want to become an officer via AFROTC. I was a complete high school fuck up, dropped out for one year. Realized I can't do anything without a HS diploma, came back in, and got my diploma at 19. Obviously my GPA is pathetic, like sub 2.0, not exactly sure but it's nothing. I also have not taken the SAT/ACT. So I'd imagine I have a 0% chance of being accepted at any school that offers AFROTC, or even the ROTC program itself.

So my goal is to attend a community college in the spring (Already enrolled), then transfer to a university that offers ROTC, and apply for the program once I am accepted to the school. Is this feasible? Does anyone know of people who are total fucks that have made it work?

Sorry for long blog post, have a webm
>>
>>28266420
Highschool shittery doesn't fuck you up nearly as bad as your HS teachers make you think it does.

I was a perfect 4.0 in high school. Went the CC route because it was no cost to me to get an associate's degree. Once you have an associates degree you're pretty much guaranteed entry into any state school as well as the added benefit of being able to skip pretty much all gen eds and not have to so dormitory housing.

When I applied at my state school after getting my associates they didn't even ask what high school I went to. They asked for my CC diploma pretty much and what major I was interested in.

Just about any state school should have a ROTC program.
>>
What are the chances of getting a pilot slot, if i'm not amazing at math? I'm in calc and making ~80
>>
Don't join the Navy if you can't swim.
>>
File: f35aeriallivefire.webm (599 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
f35aeriallivefire.webm
599 KB, 1920x1080
>>28266489
Yes, My state has a pretty good state school program, CUNY & SUNY. So it's pretty easy to get accepted into a 4 year if you do well at a CUNY 2 year. But the thing is the AFROTC can only be done it 3 years. So at maximum I could do one year at this CC, then have to go to a 4 year for AFROTC.

I wanted to get my associates, but then I wouldn't be able to complete the entire AFROTC program, which is a minimum of 3 years.
>>
>>28266490
As long as you do well on the AFQT, math doesn't matter at all. Non stem degrees pilots are also pretty common.
>>
>>28266535
Nothing it stopping you from doing five years of college. Very few people stick to a strictly 4 year route. 2 years at community then 3(+) years at university. It's not ideal, but most kids these days go longer than 4 years anyway.
>>
>>28266552
Oh, the AFQT works into the pilot slot acquisition? How well would an upper 80 put me?
>>
>>28266154
>>28266319
Exactly what he said. The Opt 40's are there, you just gotta hold out for one.

I got my 68w/Opt 40 after about a month of waiting. It's just patience and perseverance; meaning don't let your recruiter talk you into anything else other than what you want.

Yeah man, late June. Shit, you're almost up. You better report back here after and spread sweet knowledge to all us deppers
>>
>>28266589
http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/pilot-slot.html
>>
>>28266586
>Very few people stick to a strictly 4 year route
This is something that should be plastered on every wall of every building at every college. 4 year degrees ARE NOT strictly four year degrees. College Advisers lie as much as recruiters do, though in their case it is more because they don't know shit and just want you outta there. If they aren't part of the advising office, then they're just some professor that got stuck doing advising hours during their week. Either way a lot of people get fucked over in degree requirements and have to stay an extra semester or two.
Or they leave Calc 2 until the last semester of senior year, and get a 11 out of 150 on their first test, leaving them with no way to fulfill the rest of their math requirements, like I did.
>>
>>28266629
oh, that's the AFOQT, not the AFQT
>>
>>28266631
this happened to me too, i had to do an extra summer for 1 math class because i didnt complete the minor. fuck that noise
>>
>>28266643
Yeah, typo.

Anyways, that page has everything regarding an ROTC pilot slot. It has a section talking about OTS. Every question you could have regarding an Air Force pilot slot can be answered there, or on the forums. Use the search function.
>>
Should I join the National Guard?
>>
>>28266494
Thanks.
>>
>>28266494
oops
>>
>>28266709
You already have a ship date don't you?
>>
>>28266669
No
>>
>>28266669
Yes
>>
>>28266650
>>28266631
Yeah when I was going over stuff with my advisor he laid out a lesson plan for me that was basically non stop for 2 years with 2 semesters of summer courses to finish my degree on time.

This was in addition to working a full time job in order to minimize the amount of borrowing I had to do. This guy was actually advising me to pretty much do nothing but work, study, sleep for 2 years. I flat out told him no, that that wasn't going to work for me and it is nonsensical to think that someone in their early 20s should be expected to work 40 hours a week and take so many credit hours that'd I'd be in class atleast four hours a day five days a week in a program that was very research and writing oriented (history/anthropology) which would mean countless out of class hours spent studying and writing.

Reducing my work load in school and stretching it out over three years instead of two (in addition to my two years at cc) was way better in the end.
>>
>>28266669
Maybe
>>
>>28266669
I dont know
>>
>>28266762
That sounds like a nice way to destroy your GPA, or being incredibly overworked, and burnt out. Glad it worked out for you.
>>
>plan to enlist right after high school
>can't enlist because only 120lbs
>can't gain weight because I can only eat about 1000kcal/day without going broke, already in massive debt anyway because of my parents' medical issues
>can't get a job despite applying to over 300 places in 3 years, each of them at least twice, some up to 10 times
>don't even have a driver's license because no money to get one
>just slowly watching as my family sinks deeper into debt and approaches homelessness for the 4th time
what the fuck do I do?
>>
>>28265896
Thats fine as long as you can do it at an impressive pace without feeling dead
>>
>>28266844
Enlist, mentioning said reasons.
>>
>>28266844
>Apply at fast food place
>Get fat off of free food
>Get denied by military because can't do the push-up/situp/running adequately
>???
>profit

There are plenty of opportunities out there. You have to go after them. In the modern day and age it is nearly impossible for a family to not survive unless they're making increasingly bad choices and refuse to change their lifestyle.

Where do you live that you have to pay to get a driver's license?

1000kcal at taco bell costs like $3.50

Food pantries exist. Government food assistance exists.

What medical conditions does your family face the absolutely prevents then from working?
>>
>>28266971
OP likely has the same body structure as me. That means that he'll actually _lose_ weight from Taco Bell.
>>
>>28267010
that's literally, honest to god, scientifically, physically impossible

I can't stress enough that what you're saying is irrefutably false
>>
>>28267010
that's_not_possible_unless_you_lack_a_gi_tract
>>
>>28266844
So anon, tell me how bad of a fuck-up you have to be so that places like Walmart and MacDonalds won't hire you?
>>
>>28266844
Ask recruiter for help.
>>
>>28267030
I know what he's been through, I was a NEET for two years before I could find a job, and the work was at a place so easy to get into I saw people get fired and rehired multiple times. I honestly started to think I was on some sort of blacklist or something. Now I'm at college though so it's all good.
>>
>>28266844
There's a kid at my recruiters who is skinny as fuck and also needed to gain weight, one time one of the recruiters took him out to get a burger. Have you even talked to a recruiter yet?

>>28266615
Oh I certainly will. I'm ready to go, at this point I'm just counting down the days.
>>
Not like any of you kids will listen, but after getting out of the Marines after 8 years as a scout sniper during war time, and seeing it turn to shit, Im so fucking glad I got out before the integration of bitches in the infantry. Don't fucking join. It's a waste of time.
>>
>>28267154
I honestly doubt women are going to end up anywhere super high risk. At worse you'd have one or two to drag across on a patrol in an already somewhat pacified area, right?

>tfw British
>don't have to worry about vaginas ruining the marines

feels good
>>
>>28267154
>Marines
>It's a waste of time.
I agree.

sincerely,
the United States Army.
>>
>>28265596
Which branch has the best reputation?

Among civilians, military, or both.
>>
File: 1449881027056.jpg (40 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1449881027056.jpg
40 KB, 500x374
>>28267220

We already did this, they called it the lioness program, then the FET (female engagement team) it was an utter joke. The bitches were a liability every time they left the wire. Conceptually they were there to talk to the indigenous women. Their female officers in charge of them, naturally, lauded every one of them as brave heroes who helped shaped the battlefield. Because that's what officers do. They blow smoke up their own assholes in order to impress higher.

they. were. fucking. worthless.

You think an afghan bitch is going to tell a fucking Marine where her HUSBAND and SON are hiding their PKMs and HME? Fuck no!

Women should not be in ANY branch of Americas armed forces. Fuck equality, fuck your feelings, fuck a bleeding cunt. The military exists to murder people. If you aren't making the team more efficient in it's only task and purpose, get the fuck out. Fuck.
>>
>>28267311
this should not factor into your decision in the slightest
>>
File: 1450582212499.jpg (43 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1450582212499.jpg
43 KB, 720x720
>>28267298

Thank you for your cervix and regurgitated "hurr dur X service is better than Y service bekuz muh recruiter tolds me so hurhurhurhur"

thank you for your cervix
>>
>>28267325
Bong military has female engagement teams also.

>watching some footage of platoon chatting to locals innacompound
>cameraman pools FET grill aside to interview
>she says "if the bullets start flying I just get my head down and let the boys deal with it!"
>>
>>28267311
Among civilians,

the Air Force has a reputation for being high-tech, Cowboy mentality, but soft.

the Navy has the reputation of being high-tech, and rigidly traditional. They are probably the most respected.

the Army has a reputation for being the vanilla service. You do your four years, nothing special.

the Marines' reputation is of being excellent fighters, but collectively numb as a pounded thumb.
>>
>>28267345
Don't forget the Marines' reputation for getting off on themselves. As the old joke goes:
>How do you know someone is a former Marine?
>Just wait a few minutes, he'll tell you.
>>
>>28267335
God these threads have gone to shit lately.
>>
>>28266971
>Apply at fast food place
done it a few dozen times, m8.

>Government food assistance exists.
and we're on it.

>Where do you live that you have to pay to get a driver's license?
texas, requires an "application fee"

>In the modern day and age it is nearly impossible for a family to not survive
you've never lived in a ghetto, eh? 5 people under one roof, only one of which can work, and who barely makes any actual money. grandma's social security money (pittance) and some disability money (another pittance) plus me doing odd jobs like fixing people's computers or even mowing lawns off craigslist all put together doesn't cover electricity (really high because of trying to cool this shitty house with almost no insulation) and water and rent and food and medical bills and a car payment (can't really do anything without a car.) oh, and get this: since grandma's the cosigner for the vehicle, the state decided "oh she's got another asset, that means she deserves less money." they CUT her social security because of it, when we had taken the time to budget everything based on the money we were making at the time we were looking for a car in the first place. fucking ridiculous.

>What medical conditions does your family face the absolutely prevents then from working?
grandma's got an amputated leg and hasn't been able to walk since 2010 anyway, stepdad has both a herniated disc and is missing a good portion of his frontal lobe from a car accident when he was 16, and mom is a 60 year old diabetic with bad arthritis and has to stay home to take care of my grandma anyway.

>1000kcal at taco bell costs like $3.50
it's more like $7, which is a lot of money for a single meal, and also pretty damn unhealthy. we're fucking rationing our food like starving hikers, we survive on less than $500 a month for our food budget. that's ~$3.33 per person per day.
>>
>>28267030
I was about to get my high school diploma at 15 (bumped ahead one year in elementary, and got a lot of extra credits from testing out of a bunch of math and language classes) but then got some gastrointestinal disease from hell and missed like 100 days of school because most days my stomach felt like it was tearing itself in half and I could barely speak nonetheless get out of bed. this lasted for nearly 3 years on and off before I ended up getting my ged. places probably won't hire me because I'm a malnourished twig who's 23 years old and has never held a job before or even gotten his driver's license. combined with severe social anxiety making me a fucking sperg, basically fucking up every follow-up phone interview I've had - although there weren't many in the first place.

>>28267046
will he give me about $12,000?

>>28267298
oh, man. when I went in to see a marine recruiter at 17, after doing the physical test (really shitty requirements, like 40 pushups in a minute and maybe 5 pull-ups, really fucking basic) they gave me some 99 question test that I completed in about 15 minutes and got all of them correct. really simple fucking questions that I could have answered in 5th grade. when the guy told me he had never seen someone come in and answer all the questions that quickly or even get all the questions right in under 30 minutes, I was fucking astonished. there are actually people who FAIL that test.
>>
You know it's admirable that some females actually want to fight for their country, and 100% I believe that some will be absolutely great warfighters. I'm cool with females being in the military as long as standards are not skewed to fit the PC narrative. But of course they will be.

But do you really think SOF units will actually have females? Sure, it's /open/ to them, but that doesn't mean they'll see combat or even a deployment. And f they do end up doing a tour, their peers will ostracize them to the point of self-RFS.
>>
>>28266730
not yet but i only need to swim 50meters
>>
>>28267414
fuck taco bell, you get like 2000+ cal in a single jar of peanut butter
>>
>>28267424
>I was fucking astonished. there are actually people who FAIL that test.

This. lol. I enlisted after college. My grades weren't good enough for Navy OCS and I had a hard time getting a job with my non-STEM major.

When I went to the recruiter and took the preliminary tests, you could see his eyes light up. I thought they were pitifully easy. He acted like an astronaut had just walked through his door. I couldn't stop thinking
>I'm making a terrible mistake. I'm going to be surrounded by morons for five years.

Fortunately this wasn't the case and Nuke school made me feel really fucking stupid on the reg.
>>
>>28267424
You don't think that having a gastro-intestinal disease that was puts you completely out of commission for years at a time won't immediately disqualify you medically from enlistment?

Good luck explaining your medical history at MEPs
>>
>>28267311
The Coast Guard.
>>
>>28266535

Semi-relevant advice:

City College is a good school, it's real cheap and it's in a cool non-touristy area of the city. It's also the best deal on an Engineering Degree (Mechanical, Electrical or Biomedical) in the country IMO.

tl;dr City College is really cool and you'll enjoy it.

P.S. Take Biomedical Ethics while you're there, Professor Blustein runs a killer class.
>>
>>28267717
it was never documented, because they never took me to the doctor about it. it just gradually went away by the time I turned 20. so it won't be an issue :^)
>>
>>28267753
Alright, thanks. I'll look into that school. I was considering CUNY Lehman, since it's literally like a 10 minute walk away from me. But I'm still open to other options.

Are you currently attending City College?
>>
>>28267380
I sincerely believe it is just for the most part The Children in here now, who are so suddenly inspired to join because omg Paris turririst ataks! When I went to MEPS the first time I got pushed back because of all these new clueless fucks, and had to wait even longer; otherwise I'd have been in bct by October.
>>
>>28267582
Fuck peanut butter
>>
>>28267889
Yeah, not like you man. You're a TRUE wannabe operator.
>>
>>28265990
>Implying the most intelligent people in the service aren't enlisted.

None of the fratboy officers I met could hold a candle to the enlisted autists I met working crypto/programming jobs. Most LTs squeaked through their BA in Underwater Basketweaving, and most of them won't even go to grad school until they're well out of the military.
>>
>>28267905
>I want to gain weight but refuse to eat
>>
>>28266124

Not really much to "study up on". You'll learn a little bit about the intelligence community, how intelligence products are created and refined, some of the software used to do it (Powerpoint and GIS stuff), and how to conduct an intelligence briefing. 35F is mostly about critical thinking, which is something they can't really teach in a classroom, so they focus on presentation and methodology.
>>
File: tripfags.jpg (8 KB, 254x198) Image search: [Google]
tripfags.jpg
8 KB, 254x198
>>28267858

I was for the last year (two semesters).

Dropped out to go 18x and try and be an 18D though. (inb4 meme MOS)

If you're going for a pilot gig then you'd probably want a STEM degree. Let me know if you want to talk to anyone doing engineering there, I can get you in contact with my buds on the track team doing that.
>>
>>28266494

Exception: Jobs that don't go to sea.
>>
File: b2roll.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
b2roll.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>28267951
Appreciate it, but I'm not really interested in engineering. Not very good at math, haha.

I'm just a bio major, because I legitimately enjoy the course material. Good luck in selection, anon.
>>
>>28267915
mines in biochemistry
>>
>>28267907
I at least know WHERE I am going, what I need to do, and am ready. Can't say the same for all the dumb little special snowflakes I had to deal with; 3/4 of them didn't know what job they got, or what base they were going to by the time of swear-in. Jesus these idiots are going to get the people who matter killed because of how stupid they are.
>>
>>28267424
>will he give me about $12,000?

He'll give you about tree fiddy.
>>
>>28267984
>the people who matter

So what's the issue then? It's not like they're putting you at any risk.
>>
>>28266171
>only snatching 100lbs

weak, bro
>>
>>28267122
Sounds cool as fuck, considering some of the recruiters I have met where kind of assholes who clearly hated recruiting.
>>
>>28267994
I wish you could meet me in real life, so I could smash that smug face in. It would ALMOST be worth the jail time/death penalty to end you.
>>
>>28268038
Next you're going to tell me you have over 300 confirmed kills
>>
>>28267582
we eat a lot of peanut butter, actually.

>>28267985
goddamn loch ness recruiters.
>>
File: 1445157383037.gif (212 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
1445157383037.gif
212 KB, 921x155
im considering going into the army phams since i graduated HS 6 months ago and I'm 19. and i cant hold a job and i live alone(father pays the rent). I also have a friend from that went to highschool with me that is a 13B in the army. should i do it? i want to become a cop after i do my time in the army and i don't want to fall for the college meme. i also can't hold a job, because people say i move to slow. do you think i should give it a try?
>>
>>28267939
Thanks, I think that helps a little. it's just that the MOS I got was so far removed from what I was promised by my recruiter that I got caught unawares and now have to shift to a completely different mindset to compensate.
>>
File: 1313331.jpg (10 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1313331.jpg
10 KB, 320x320
>>28268038
>>
>>28267970

Thanks senpai. There's a place on 136th between Broadway and Amsterdam called "Mexican Food". Best 5$ burritos ever. Great for study calories. Best of luck in AFROTC.
>>
>>28267588
What is Nuclear School like? I want to do that.
>>
>>28268092
>people say i move to slow.
gotta learn how to hustle, man. it's real important to be able to do whatever it is you're doing in an acceptable time frame. it's part of work ethic.
>>
>>28268038

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>28268146
Wow, congratulations for using old copy pasta! Really creative, is that supposed to be ironic or is that just what your kind thinks is clever and amusing these days? You must really be a winner huh.
>>
>>28268112
Contrary to what many will tell you, your 15-18 months of schooling is not equivelent to a 4 year degree, it does put a lot into 15-18 months, but its more learning the retarded Navy way of doing it(as far as Heat Transfer-Fluid Flow and other mathematical shit goes). I am personally thankful for my nuclear training(MMN3(was MM2, eligible for MM1) here). It showed me what I can do when presented with a shitty situation and how to prevail if motivated to do so. Also, once in the fleet and an MM(surface) and you lose 2nd, your whole mind set will change, and you will give no fuck at all.
>>
What are some of the best jobs you can have aboard a ship in the Navy?
>>
>>28268112
Nuke School is insanely hard. It is high-stress, high-stakes, rote memorization. Suicide attempts are rampant, and yet they will not let you wash out. For people who want to quit, it feels like being trapped in hell.

But seriously folks...

Yeah, it's hard. It's one and a half years of school. Six months of A school (for EM and ET, three months for MM). Then six months of Power School, then another six months of training.

Life can be a little monastic. Muster at 0700, school all morning, then chow, then more school until 1600. In the evening, back at the barracks, you study. On the weekends, you study.

You are still expected to stay in shape, too, through all of this.
>>
>>28268316
Deck Swabber
>>
>>28268327
That is the fucking truth, I was on 30-4's/35-5's all of Power School, life fucking sucked, my class washed out around 35ish% of the people, which is a low number. I was in the Rickover(the school house from 0509-2059 every day Monday-Thurs, 0509-1659 Friday and then whatever hours I had to do Sat and Sun(at least 4 or 5 during Sun). I had to bust my ass to get my 2.53(2.5 is the minimum GPA to pass during the pipeline, then it is 2.8 in the fleet, tests are also easier, if you play the political game in the fleet).
>>
>>28268316
Gunner's Mate Missile. You do NOTHING.
>>
>>28267414
>texas, requires an "application fee"
Wow, that's some bullshit. That should be illegal.
>>
>>28267325
LOL
Are you me?
Went to afghan twice once with SF.
Female engagement teams are useless.
They would come out with us mill around and do nothing and when they had to talk to locals they would say a few things, get no where, gain no information and then cry because they "could've been killed".
And the one time we had a "contact" with them in the vehicle.
was some dick taking a potshot and running off.
They crumbled to the floor of the vehicle crying hysterically. I mean HYSTERICALLY, so fucking loud while we dismounted and went into all round defense for 5 mins.
was pathetic.
Although they loved being able to tell every one about "being in combat outside the wire".
It was a minute down the road to the nearest village...
>>
Anyone feel like they have given up on their dreams?

I've wanted to do 18x for a long..
I listened to my mother and went to school, I'm an engineering major, and I'm doing well, but I just never forget about the 18x dream. My mom's not totally wrong, me becoming an engineer is a lot more plausible/likely than me passing selection, but I still never forget about what could have been if I took the chance. Anyone else ever been in a situation like this?
>>
>>28266319
>>28266615
Even if I'm not physically ready(I want another 6 months of weights/running/rucking) should I go and talk to a recruiter tomorrow? I'm still in the process of getting a tattoo removed as well

I have no doubt I can easily get a 110 GT score
>>
>>28268452
If you still want to to do it, go do it. Probably smarter to finish college first though.
>>
>>28268452
Even if you don't end up as a Ranger, if you never serve, it will eat a hole in you for the rest of your life. Do SOMEthing. Even if you go into the Army and just drive trucks, you'll never be able to say, "I wish I would have given it a try."
>>
>>28267984

thank you for your service
>>
Any MOS 2821 here?

I've been assigned it by my recruiter but I have no idea what it is.
>>
>>28268446

SF support?
>>
>>28268452

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore—
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over—
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?
>>
>>28268484
Yeah it might be a good idea, but be weary. They will give you shit for wanting to wait and will try to convince you to ship out ASAP.
>>
>>28268484
Unless you're really out of shape don't worry about the physical shit. You will be able to get up to a 300+ APFT in OSUT if you give a shit and put in the training, and you will have 4-8 weeks in pre-RASP. Nothing you can do will really prepare you for that first ruck in RASP, it's beyond awful. If it's legitimately what you want go in and talk to your recruiter tomorrow, I first went in just after New Year's Day this year and now I'm at Batt. It's been a hard year but so fucking worth it.
>>
>>28268685
Hey you that guy that was on here a few months ago that graduated RASP?
>>
>>28268710
I don't recall posting ITT around the time I graduated. There was a guy posting as RASPAnon who would have been in the class before mine. I think he graduated, but I never found out who he was.
>>
>>28268792
Oh I see, well either way congrats on making it to batt, how's being the new guy? And can you really get good PT from basic? Everyone I talk to that says you will lose some of your fitness level while in basic
>>
>>28266420
>>28266489
So am literally the same as this guy. However, I'm 18 and looking at my super senior year next year. I was thinking rather than do another year of high school just get my GED and just go to community or hope the Navy will let me be the few who go in without a diploma (85 AFQT). I've been talking to my recruiter about a Seal contract and he's been more than helpful and sold me almost no bullshit. My question is would it be better to tough out another year after this one or take the GED route and attempt to enlist or rather GED then the 15 college credits if need be.
>>
>>28268685
Depends on what you call out of shape? I have a average BMI and can probably score around a 200-230 on the APFT. Pretty much my brains are the only thing I've got goin for me now, though I'm currently lifting 3x week, running 5 and making good gains. I was an athlete/doing manual labor in the past so it's coming back fairly quick
>>
>>28268832
Personally, if you can guarantee that you could get your diploma within the next year, I would do that. If you just get your HS diploma, you don't even have to worry about the 15 college credits needed.

Enlisting with ONLY a GED isn't that easy

p.s., graduating at 19 isn't even that late. A lot of people who were left back at an early age graduate at 18/19.
>>
>>28268678
Word. I went through two different recruiters.

The first talked shit for me wanting to stay here a while and get as ready as I possibly could. I told him see ya and saw another one who was more understanding of my perspective, but told me to call him when I felt I was ready.

Then a month of waiting, and boom an opt 40
>>
>>28268792
Do you get fucked with a lot in Batt considering you're a new guy?
>>
>>28268848
BMI means literally nothing in terms of fitness. body fat percentage and physical performance measurement are the only things you need to focus on. also, don't do too much cardio while bulking. cardio is for cutting. eat more carbs and fat, and take vitamins to make sure you get all your macros and micros. you'll likely be getting enough protein from whatever you're eating, but be sure anyway.

read the /fit/ sticky, if you haven't already. it's all basic required knowledge for getting and staying in shape. can't be sure you're progressing correctly if you don't know pretty much everything about what you're doing. a decent amount of micromanagement is involved for the first few months until you get a good sense for what you're doing, and then it's all second nature.
>>
>>28268826
They may have meant like your lifts? You definitely won't do any of that, but between PT, smoking, and doing a set of 50+ before bed each night my push ups and sit ups went up to about 100% by the end. We didn't run enough but if you push yourself on 30/60s and PT tests and volunteer for the fast group if you're not already in it, your run score should improve. It sucks being the new guy ofc but I actually have a relatively chill squad. A lot is expected of you but that burden only grows the longer you've been here.
>>
>>28268832
Don't I repeat DON'T get a GED unless you want to give them a reason to completely screen you out of Active Duty any way they can. I got extremely lucky to get in; you have to do better than all the other applicants on your ASVAB who also have a GED.
>>
>>28268863
I mean I plan on DEP anyway this summer. This GED thing was just something that popped into my head earlier today.
>>
>>28268952
I was in the same situation as you. Had to stay back one extra year, I'm glad I did it, and so will you.
>>
>>28268972
Alright, thanks for the encouragement man. I don't know about you but fucking around and taking a year and a half off is honestly one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
>>
>>28268904
I'm a 3rd year bio student and I've done a lot of independent research on nutrition, bodybuilding, calisthenics and cardio. I only gave BMI to give the guy I was replying to the idea I was on track for height/weight requirements just lacking in the physicality(though it's quickly returning).

Essentially I don't want to show up to a recruiter looking for a 68W+op40 contract without being about to at least meet the minimum PT reqs.
>>
>>28268985
Same man, my parents tried to tell me it was a mistake.. but you live and learn.
>>
>>28268848
Yeah it sounds like you will do well, if you are being honest about your estimated score. If I were you I would use that lifting effort to do push ups/sit ups right now instead, especially if you are starting the recruiting process soon.

>>28268881
Yes, but less than I had expected. It's maybe a little worse for me because I don't really have the same background as most guys here (didn't play sports or grow up with guns).
>>
>>28268994
Fuck, a 3rd year.

All I have is my shitty EMT-B cert. I hate even thinking about SOCM because it's so far out there, but damn. Maybe I should take some classes at my local CC before I ship out.
>>
>>28268994
just making sure. I'm glad you're on your way, stay motivated.
>>
>>28268918
They were talking PT score, their run times and push ups went down during basic because they didn't do enough PT is what they said. But I'm hoping that is wrong.

Good to hear, I ship out in a couple of weeks so I'm psyched to go.
>>
Alright, so I'm a junior, (18, don't be an ass), took my first ASVAB test this year. My score was 74 and I got a line score of 110. Is this good? I know that the scores for ASVAB's go up to 99... So does that mean I'm a fucking retard or what?
>>
>>28269078
Yup
>>
>>28269029
Hey man, I would say the same thing about having the EMT-B cert.

>>28269028
Yeah, that estimate is about right. I'm sure I could pass the PT test right now, but I'd definitely be struggling my ass off to do so. I might even puke a bit ;_;
>>
>>28269078
If you don't score a 96+ you may as well kill yourself you literal retard
>>
>>28269109
You mean puke when passing the Army standard or the RASP standard? What is your 2 mile time? If I were you I would ask the recruiter for a 1/1/1 assessment, it's an APFT diagnostic.

>>28269046
A lot of that depends on MOS and particular basic training company. At Infantry OSUT you will definitely go harder than in a POG basic training cycle. Good luck dude, stay motivated and genuinely give a shit in everything you do.
>>
>>28269205
If by some chance I make it to Batt, how much down time do you get to do whatever?

I just hope that I can still shitpost
>>
can i shitpost while on a navy ship?
>>
>>28269205
I don't mean actually puking but I'd have to bust ass to score a 200+. Like I said, I used to be an athlete but I've let it slip.

If the 1/1/1 is 13 pushup, 17 situp, and an 8:30 mile I can do that no prob... I just don't want to go to BCT and not get enough PT to get me above and beyond RASP mins
>>
File: 1421708034797.png (132 KB, 255x358) Image search: [Google]
1421708034797.png
132 KB, 255x358
>>28267325
>the military exist to murder people
i love you, not gay
>>
>>28269273
I'm here, ain't I? Read Sua Sponte by Dick Couch, it talks about being in Bat and gives a really good, if a little dated, run down on how RASP goes.
>>
>>28269078
damn, dude. I consider myself a dumb fuck, and I still scored 88. I would honestly think about going into manual labor. carpentry and construction are pretty fun.
>>
>>28269078
>>28269095
>>28269162
Fuck. So I guess I'm basically SOL if I go to a recruitment office with that score? Is it worth it to retake the test?
>>
File: dgiaa.png (209 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
dgiaa.png
209 KB, 510x346
>>28269332
>you rn
>>
>>28269332
>Is it worth it to retake the test?
depends on if you study for it or not. but yeah, try to get an 80 at least.
>>
>>28269332
No, you're fine. It's a percentile score, so they'll actually be somewhat impressed by yours, but not blown away. The army takes scores as low as 30 or something like that.
>>
>>28269329
I've already spent time doing carpentry work and enjoyed it quite a bit. Basically, all I'm looking at for careers right now is firefighting, (I come from a long line of firefighters, 6 generations so far), carpentry, and, of course, the military.
Thanks for the advice though, haha.
>>
>>28269332
>>28269332
If you scored a 110Gt you probably qualify for almost every job. Ignore everyone else.

I had a 75 afqt, and I qualified for literally everything.
>>
>>28269367
Do military firefighting man.
>>
>>28269332
Anon, I was being sarcastic
>>
>>28269357
Ah. Thanks for the information.

I'm still pretty fucking stupid though, correct?
>>
>>28269205
I'm going 11x so I hope so. Thanks man.
>>
File: poo in loo.jpg (36 KB, 800x799) Image search: [Google]
poo in loo.jpg
36 KB, 800x799
>>28269382
Fucker.

Ignore this in that case, then.>>28269390
>>
Can someone tell me more about being a Warrant Officer? Specifically a Helo pilot?

I've just learned about the Street to Seat program and it sounds awesome. I'd love to learn to fly choppers for the Army and maybe fly an Apache.

I'm 28 with a degree and a solid resume so I think I'd be compete with for a slot.

Any info would be appreciated!
>>
>>28269281
Not for passing it, just as a diagnostic. If you can do a 1/1/1 with 40+ PU, 40+ SU, and a <7:00 mile as scored by the recruiter you've got a good foundation. You know your body's capabilities better than I. Good luck man.
>>
>>28269318
Danke Rangerbro.
>>
>>28269433
So wait until I can hit that before talking to a recruiter?
>>
>>28269466
I'm currently on DEP and I can't hit those numbers.

My recruiter is helping me work out so I can reach them.
>>
>>28268626
Neg
>>
>>28269466
My scores were a little better than that when my recruiter had me do it. I know some people who were worse off than me and made it. If the problem right now is that you're fat I can assure you you'll lose a lot in OSUT. It's mostly a matter of giving a shit and taking every opportunity to put 100% and then some into your work outs and eat the biggest healthiest meals you can, through from OSUT until that week 7 PT test.
>>
>>28269569
I'm not fat, I'm just weakish. But my numbers are coming back pretty quickly(mostly because I'm busting ass on a daily basis) I could probably hit 30 PU in 60 sec, 35 SU in 60 secs, and an 8 minute mile.

I'm just not sure if I should wait a month or so before talking to a recruiter. 68W+op 40 is what I want and I'll do whatever it takes to achieve that.
>>
>>28269659
Double those numbers and do them in two minutes and shave off 1:15
>>
>>28269659
Ah, I thought you were going 11x. For 68W you will have a really long AIT, that's months of training when you can work out before even going to Airborne. Also I went to the recruiter early January and shipped before the end of February, most people spend a lot longer than I did in the DEP. Waiting a month honestly probably won't make a difference. I admire your ambition dude, SOF medics probably have the hardest pipeline in the Army. Don't let it crush you if you don't make it.
>>
>>28269871
Alright, I'll just go speak to a recruiter tomorrow. I have no doubt I can deal with the 68W material, as I find upper division STEM fairly easy. I just don't want to wash out because I jumped in too soon without being physically prepared.
>>
>>28270084
Yeah man, don't sweat it too much. I got contacted before my recruiter way before I was ready, but they just push you to MEPS as fast as they can and you'll be in DEP for months after that usually. The only thing it'll change is how hard you fall out during your first poolee PT.
>>
>>28270133
>The only thing it'll change is how hard you fall out during your first poolee PT.
Not up on my lingo, what does this mean?
>>
>>28270348
At your recruiting station, generally they'll have sessions every so often where all the poolees work out together under the guidance of an NCO or two and maybe some folks who recently finished boot camp.

If you're out of shape, you'll die pretty much.
>>
>>28270421
I'm not afraid of getting smoked, in fact I want to so I can improve. I just don't wanna get laughed out of the recruiters office for asking for a 68W+op40 when its been just a month getting back into physical fitness
>>
File: IMG_20151219_190330.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151219_190330.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
>flew to San Antonio yesterday to visit family one last time
>will be flying back on the 19th of January for lackland
Future 1A8
It's weird.
>>
>>28265865
tell me as much as you can about your current fitness (pushup/situp #, mile time, height/weight, other information, etc) and your goals, and I'll try to help you.

Also, threadly reminder that I'm always lurking.
>>
>>28266180
Hypertrophy is the literal opposite of what you want for military fitness.
>>
>>28267030
Gond does not approve of negativity. Do not invoke the image of the Gondola unless you bring positivity.
>>
>>28267889
People eager to kill em some hajis because of Paris are the cancer of /k/ right now

>>28269078
You're getting trolled. You're still eligible for a lot of jobs.
>>
File: mah-nigga.jpg (13 KB, 318x248) Image search: [Google]
mah-nigga.jpg
13 KB, 318x248
I know my enthusiasm is gonna be totally reversed the day I get to BMT, but I'm honestly extremely excited to be a future Airman. I have a great job lined up, I'm gonna have steady pay and health benefits for the first time in my life, I'll be learning new skills, and I'll be helping my country. Basic looks stressful as fuck but I'm actually looking forward to the personal challenge. And BEAST week actually looks fun. I know it's just blind enthusiasm and I'll change my mindset soon enough, but still.

Anyone else seriously excited to join?
>>
>>28270583
If you feel that unsure, then just take the time you need to get all of your scores improved. There is nothing wrong with waiting and the army will still be there in 6 months.
>>
>>28271263

I'm trying to go straight in as an STO. I'm pretty stoked. This is something that I've always needed to do and I won't be at peace until I finish it.
>>
>>28271295
>>28271263

Good luck! I feel you. My whole life I was always against joining, then suddenly I changed my mind.
>>
It's not a primary factor in my decision to join the military, but I would like to be able to travel and see the world while I'm in.

I've heard one of the best ways to see a lot of different places is to be stationed on a ship in the Navy, although I do understand that most of your time is going to be spent out on the ocean rather than in port.

How bad is ship life? Because it seems like something that might be novel at first, but I can see how being constrained to a ship for long periods of time, especially a smaller one, could be frustrating.
>>
>>28269078
74 is good and will qualify you for the vast majority of jobs. You're fine. If you wanna be sure, study extra hard and ask your recruiter if you can take it again.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-21+at+01.16.57).png (24 KB, 959x179) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-21+at+01.16.57).png
24 KB, 959x179
>>28270722
30 pushups/maybe 40 situps in a min or so.
5'7"/145lbs
13 min 1.5mile
i need satisfactory but obviously want better than that. i think the situps/pushups are in 2 mins though
ive been doing the ice cream fitness thing
>>
>>28271422
Dunno about other branches, but you can PCS every 3 years or so in the Air Force, and you can go on deployments/TDYs often in certain career fields and if you specifically request them.

>>28271449
Not him, but that's not a bad starting point. You really need to work at it though. Hit the gym at least 3 times a week, run 3-4 times a week at least, and replace as many carbs as you can with protein.
>>
>>28271288
Would it really be necessary though considering how long I might be in DEPS+BCT+AIT.
>>
>>28271449
The fuck is ice cream fitness? What's your routine?
>>
>>28271263
I feel pretty much the same way. Air Force DEP here.
>>
>>28271740
Leaving in March?
>>
>>28271737
Not him, but it's stronglifts 5x5 but with more upperbody accessory work. Hypertrophy/aesthetics routine

Personally, I'm sticking to SL 5x5 and 5x cardio + muscle memory calisthenics to prep myself
>>
>>28271756
I am, actually.

March 29th, my AFSC is 1C531, Aerospace Control and Warning Systems.
>>
>>28271772
Ah, 8th here for 3d132. Enjoy your job bro, that was one of my picks IIRC. Don't get recycled! I'll be a 3rd weeker or so when I see you.
>>
I'm a Canadian. I want to serve in the British Army. I was in the CAF for 10 months, before being released because I was a fucking idiot. I plan on trying this in about 5~ years, when I have more life experience than I did when I first joined.

How fucked am I?
>>
>>28271870
Ah, your tech training is at Keesler AFB as well, so we'll end up in the same place twice.
>>
>>28267814
you know something? i really, really hope you make it. i do.

good luck.
>>
>>28268146
haha, holy shit, haven't seen that one in a while
>>
>>28266049
It does my friend. I joined the marines in 08. MEPS turned me down once for having rope burn and I got discharged on my second week of SOI for psoriasis. Whatever you got hide it forever.
>>
>>28272224
How intensely do they look over your body for stuff like that?
>>
>>28271758
Your routine sounds better. I personally prefer SS over SL and SS+cardio+calisthenics practice is gonna be WAY better than doing a hyp/aesthetics focus. A hypertrophy routine is actually going to hold you back if you want functional fitness like the military demands.
>>
>>28272286
If you have any marks that can be spotted with the naked eye be sure to have a reason or a way to hide it. Ask your recruiter for help, I told mine about my psoriasis and he told me to hide that shit. I managed to hide it with rash cream but a new spot came up and I couldn't treat it in time and thus my embarrassingly short military career.
>>
Can you take finasteride during basic? I know it's alright during AIT and beyond, but is basic a no-meds period?
>>
>>28272224
>discharged on my second week of SOI for psoriasis
Wow, how severe was it?

I've always thought that I didn't have any health issues that would keep me from joining, but if something like psoriasis will disqualify you then I'm more concerned about it.
>>
After basic, I'm guessing you train for whatever your MOS is?

How much freedoms do you have?
>>
>>28272351
Psoriasis makes your skin highly susceptible to infection. Imagine if your had to wear a dirty, sweaty helmet liner for three days straight, it might get you genuinely sick. I remember I told my recruiter I had bad dandruff, and I had to get a dermatologist to confirm it wasn't psoriasis.

Army doesn't want anything that would weaken its defensive posture. Which is why I didn't tell them I lost my sense of smell as a kid.
>>
>>28272323
I've got some questionable scars from doing stupid shit when I was young. Fucked up hopping a fence, got some a few scars from it that look like purposeful cuts but not noticeable unless you really look hard
>>
File: 1421424178484.gif (914 KB, 245x168) Image search: [Google]
1421424178484.gif
914 KB, 245x168
>>28272224
That is not the information I wanted to hear when I got up, anon! Oh fuck, it's going to go terribly today. I had acne as a teen and it scarred up my chest and I still get the occasional zit, fuck shit I should have gone to a dermatologist as a teen fucking hell.
>>
Any engineering majors who've joined the armed forces here?
>>
Any tips for someone who wants to be a clearance diver in the Aus Navy?
>>
Tried to kill myself last year and had to go to the hospital for a bit, now im going to assume that's on my record. Am I fucked for joining?
>>
>>28272608
Why do broken people always think the military will fix them? This is the reason the suicide rate is so high in the military. Go join the peace corps or volunteer on at your local public tv station and make something of yourself that way.
>>
>>28272608
Do the world a favor and dont try to join the military. If you tried to kill youself, you will def do it within the forces. Whatever bad day you were having before its a whole lot less worse than what you will experience.
>>
>>28272618
Even if the reason for suicide was my lack of a social life? I dunno I feel like it'd do me good but if it's that shitty ill just leave it I guess
>>
>>28272662
Hey buddy, listen, these guys know jackshit about you or why you felt like you wanted to kill yourself. Join up if you want to BUT PLEASE ask some actual soldiers about the military and find out what you're getting into. If it sounds like you'll be okay and is right for you fucking join.
>>
>>28272676
Actual soldier reporting in, sir!
I mean what I say when I tell him not to join. He's wasting his time unless he's actually sure he wont kill himself. It's just unnecessary drama and a waste of money.
>>
>>28272386

Depends on the job. For infantry, their "after BCT" job training takes place at the exact same location with the exact same Drill Sergeants. They get a tiny bit more freedom and just drive on for a couple more weeks.

On the other side of the spectrum are linguists, who go to California for 1+ year of job training and basically live like college students.

Most jobs are somewhere in the middle, you will train during the day and after about 1700 you will have your own time to do whatever you want. You should have full access to electronics and stuff in your free time.
>>
>>28271758
>>28272317
>Hypertrophy/aesthetics routine
it is? i didnt know that i thought it was to get stronger since it wasnt a brosplit. i need some calisthenics workouts though
>>
After you've served in the US military and fulfilled your service

Can you acquire a foreign citizenship and drop your US one?
>>
>>28271713
You're just being cautious, albeit overly.

You want a 280+ PT score when you get to basic. It looks good and I'll reflect on you nicely. I say wait, but no more than 6 months.
>>
>>28266171
>The trick is using light weight. You won't get strong, but who needs to snatch 100 in a warzone?
>you won't get strong
then why fucking bother?
>>
How extensive are background checks for the rangers? Will they go look at records from when you were 10?
>>
what's the average age in boot camp ? Especially wondering about Marine boot camp.
>>
>go ranger as 13F, become door kicker
or
>go muhreens as artillery observer man, go ANGLICO, try recon to get trained up as a JTAC kinda
what do
>>
>>28275425
Rangers. Marines get shit equipment and shit treatment.
>>
>>28275431
>Marines get shit equipment and shit treatment.
Can you be a bit more specific?
>>
>>28275443
They get hand-me-downs from the army.
>>
>>28275468
Oh ok. Thank's.
>>
File: chrissieS1.jpg (223 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
chrissieS1.jpg
223 KB, 1024x576
>tfw BM3

I hate my fucking job and I want to cross rate.

My 2-year mark hits around March; I really wanna "Corpsman up" but to add more frustration there are no conversions for my year group(2014).

Looking around I found there are spots open for the IS(Intelligence Specialist) rating. Is there anything more detailed than the vague job description? No doubt that it's secretive as fuck so something not too revealing at least then?

I really want to fucking get out of this rating lads.
>>
File: 1370613169448.jpg (525 KB, 1790x1377) Image search: [Google]
1370613169448.jpg
525 KB, 1790x1377
I'm thinking about OCS. I have a college degree with an above 3.0 GPA and I'm smart enough to pass all their tests and shit, I'm in decent physical shape. Do you guys think I'm OCS material? I would probably go Navy.

Been trying things for a few years after college, nothing really seems to be working out. I'm currently working on law school applications and thinking "what the fuck, this isn't gonna work out, no one is gonna let you into a decent law school, you don't even really want to go to law school anyway, you're just doing this so you can tell people you are applying to law school and then they won't think you're a loser for another few months"

I'm thinking it might be time to say fuck it and go for the military. It's always been in the back of my mind as something I would want to do and that would lead me to the kind of career I want to have but I've always let something get in the way: family pressure, fear, laziness
>>
>>28267915

i commissioned straight from grad school with my master's in engineering. but yeah there are a lot of poli sci and history degrees along with the math and physics majors.

guess what, if you're not in a field where it matters, who cares. if you want nerdy officers, go look at the Nukes, Developmental Engineers, Scientists, Test Pilot School grads, etc.
>>
>>28275573

ok... so age, what do you want to do, how's your eyes/vision?
>>
>>28275632
23 years old, would like to do intelligence/foreign policy work, vision is shitty (I wear contacts)
>>
>>28275650

ok. from what i remember when i applied to the Navy (I'm >>28275624 and am now a USAF officer) they have a board for each career (as in there's one for SWO, Aviation, Intel, Supply, Spec Ops, etc.). go talk to a recruiter for a better timeline. study for the ASTB, but you can ignore the seamanship and flying stuff unless you want to fly. vision shouldn't matter as long as you can correct to 20/20, foreign policy work can come about as a result of doing well in intel and getting the right assignments by being the type of dude your higher ups would go to bat for. for reference, my ASTB was 7/7/8/60 and i was told "that's good enough for intel" so keep that in mind.

be prepared to wait 18 months or more to join.
>>
File: warsawuprising.jpg (58 KB, 640x459) Image search: [Google]
warsawuprising.jpg
58 KB, 640x459
>>28275683
Thanks man

have a dead QT
>>
>>28275422
Probably about 21. 18-25 is pretty common, though there's occasionally guys around 30.
>>
>>28275468
>>28275443
not entirely true but they aren't funded very well... plus the average marine is quite young. I'm pretty sure to be a ranger you have to be at least 20.
>>
if you don't get selected by an OCS board will it hurt your chances to try again later?
>>
>>28275977

no.

i'd normally say turning down an offer to commission hurts your chances, but i managed to do that somehow.
>>
>>28275393
Also interested.
>>
>>28275393
They aren't extensive. Rangers only need a secret.
>>
>go to MEPS
>almost every recruit is Marine Corps
>>
>CCT apparently requires 20/70 in both eyes
>20/400 uncorrected in right eye, left isn't much better

Well, shit. Anyone know if a waiver is possible at this point, or if I should just choose something else?
>>
>>28276371
PRK
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.