[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun Safes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13
File: 81R3is00UiL._SL1500_.jpg (145 KB, 596x1500) Image search: [Google]
81R3is00UiL._SL1500_.jpg
145 KB, 596x1500
How does /k/ protect their funs from burglars, gungrabbers, and snooping guests?

I'm about to build an AR and start expanding my collection in general, but first I want to get a decent safe that will provide enough space for at least 4-5 years. I'm also in an apartment currently, so some 30 gun, 800 lb vault isn't entirely practical in my situation.
Would appreciate any recommendations/advice on the matter. Pic related is one I'm considering, as well as Mesa safes.
>>
>>28264679
Stack on 8 or 14 gun "safe" it's made of sheet metal, and won't stop anyone with 5 minutes and a crow bar, but it works.
>>
>>28264725
That's basically what we have at my family's ranch house, where most of my guns are now.
Being in the country I'm not really concerned about robberies there so I guess that's enough, but I was hoping to get something a little more substantial than that for city living.
>>
File: image.jpg (995 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
995 KB, 2592x1936
Your basic stack on safe will stop a novice burglar from steeling your guns. But does nothing for fire.
One of the best deals for the money is a 24 gun fire rated safe. Pic related.
You can find them on sale for $400.
Small enough that they do not require special equipment to move. Heavy enough that one guy won't take it.
>>
>>28264893
How tall are those, roughly? This sounds right up my alley and I'm in the market for my first one right now
>>
>>28264679
I have a Costco 14 gun safe, but I have a lot of tactical rifles that are big and bulky, so i can only fit like 8 rifles in there and a bunch of handguns. I store my ammo in another room because I have a shitload.
>>
>>28265495
~55 inches,
I have mine on a 6 inch pallet I made from pressure treated wood. keep the metal safe off of the concrete
>>
>putting $20k+ worth of guns into a shitty 50 lb safe
>anyone being stopped by it
Lmfao.
>>
>>28265576
Let's hear what you've got, then.
>>
>>28264679
Shhhh..... the gubmant will hear you.
>>
>>28265660
Not that guy, but if you own more than like 1 or 2 guns, then there's really no excuse not to own a safe. Odds are that if a break in occurs, it will happen when you're not home. Retarded gun owners who are to cheap to shell out for a real safe but have tons of guns and ammo are one of the biggest sources of guns for criminals.

I personally have a Sturdy 3224, and they're bretty gud for the money. They even sell some small ones for under like 1.5k. If you're too much of a poorfag to shell out for decent protection for your weapons, you should really reconsider your priorities.
>>
>>28265660
>Let's hear what you've got, then.
>implying anything I have justifies your shitty choice
I don't need to muddy the water with what I have, the main focus should stay on you placing everything you own into a small box that any retard with a prybar will bust open.

You need to understand that when someone sees a safe they don't say, "Oh fuck it, not worth it." A safe says, "HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS WHERE THE GOOD SHIT IS :DDDDDD"

>>28264893
I can't see the picture clearly, but the safe on the left is more secure than the one on the right if the hinges on both are oriented to the right. Reason being that it's hard to pry when you have to push against a wall whereas the "Safari" brand safe has a nice wide opening for them to work with. Having ammo, etc. tells them exactly what they can expect to receive after breaking into it, which won't be hard if they have the prybar that they undoubtedly used to get into your home.

People keep jewelry, papers, guns, etc. in safes. It is getting everything you own worth protecting and placing it into a single location. It is a mistake not to invest into something that's at least a fraction of the worth (whether that be in monetary or physical value) of what's inside.
>>
>>28265572
Yeah the workbench was misleading for the height. That's seems like an outstanding deal at that price. I'm gonna look into it since crime in my area is basically nonexistent so I just need to abide by storage laws and be prepared for fire and nosey guests.
>>
>>28265816
And by workbench I obviously mean shelf...what a strange autocorrect...
>>
>>28265796
It's ok to admit you don't have any guns to keep in a safe, you don't need to be shy about it.

>>28264893
>on sale for $400
I think I saw that same safe last time I was at Academy and it was at least $700. Where could I look to get that kind of price? I've got a nook in my closet that would be perfect for a safe of that size.
>>
>>28265796
You're an idiot dude. There's physically no way to bust into a real gun safe with just a prybar or sledgehammer or anything like that (Stack on and liberty shit obviously doesn't count). And there's little opportunity to move the safe assuming it's bolted down right.

If you think you can just hide your shit in your walls or under your floorboards, you're taking a risk.
>>
>>28264679
I shoot them with my guns.
>>
>>28264816
>city living.

1st suggestion: don't move to the city
>>
>there's actually a retard itt that thinks breaking into a gun safe is as easy as opening a screen door with a crowbar
>same fucktard thinks people are going to carry off your bolted down safe that weighs a couple hundred pounds
whew
just fucking whew
>>
>>28266173
>don't move to the city
Too late.
>>
>>28264893
>Your basic stack on safe will stop a novice burglar from steeling your guns. But does nothing for fire.

Neither will a “fire rated” safe, as the fire proofing material is just glasswool.

Any fire large enough and hot enough to fuck up guns in a regular gun safe, will also fuck up guns in a “fire rated” safe.
>>
>>28267865
not to mention they're fire rated for only a limited time which most fires will blaze for longer than it's rated unless you burnt your food while cooking
>>
look into "modular" safes ... better steel, fire rated ... & you can actually carry them to whatever room you want the safe in and then assemble them there.
>>
>>28266604

Move back to the country.
>>
>>28265766
Shall not be infringed
>>
Heritage safe. Way too big and heavy to move without four or five strong guys and special equipment
>>
>>28267954
You have the freedom to neglect on a safe. It doesn't mean you're not a fucking retard.

Do you really want to give Jamal and Dequawn your $2000 mall ninja AR with three position bidirectional trigger, 54R vepr, 30-06 Saiga, and 10k rounds for each?
>30-06 Saiga
Yes this was a real thing. Unlike the 54R vepr, the 30-06 Saiga used a repositioned hammer with an unmodified AK receiver.
>>
Is liberty shit tier? Was looking at athe getting a revolution 24 soon.
>>
>>28268478
I was looking recently and decided I want a Revolution 12. Saw a video testing 3 safes vs a couple of dudes with prybars and the Liberty did far better than the other two.

The video was made by Liberty, so grain of salt and all, but it does seem pretty good. Plus it's one of the cheaper fire-rated options.
>>
>>28268418
Or live in a nice neighborhood in the country and not have to worry about jamal.

I also don't own over 3k in guns.

The stack on is just fine for my needs
>>
>>28268418
>You have the freedom to neglect on a safe. It doesn't mean you're not a fucking retard.

If you don't live in the city or the suburbs, it's a non issue.

That is to say, if you live among actual human beings (and not negroids) then you shouldn't have a problem.
>>
>>28264679
I don't have burglars, gungrabbers, or snooping guests over.
>>
I really need to get a safe soon. I just moved to a city and I have a few guns. It'd be really easy for someone to break in while I'm not home, snoop around for a few minutes and find the ones that I leave at home. Plus I could just store other valuables in there as well for safe-keeping.

For now I've just been hiding my rifle under stacks of shirts on the shelf of my closet. Hoping if anyone broke in they wouldn't go looking under stacks of t shirts, but I feel like a closet is the first place they'd look for valuables.
>>
>>28265796
How the fuck will you pry this door?
Look at the bolts. You will not pry that with anything besides the fire departments jaws.

>28265937
Pic related
>>
I live in a white neighborhood in a white state, and I only let people that I trust into my house.
>>
I love in a semi rural area and work for the county judge, and know all my neighbors and law enforcement. Still, I eventually want a safe. Is 1000 bucks gonna get me something decent or is that laughable tier?
>>
Hey /k/, here's a stupid question.

I'm going to be buying a pistol soon, and I don't have the capital to shell out for a $300 biometic scanner quickdraw whatever the fuck pistol safe.

I'm thinking about buying an ammo can, putting a big thick eye ring through the front so I can lock it shut with a padlock and then chaining it to my bedframe.

I know this can be made off with if you've got a pair of bolt cutters but are the shitty $50-100 dollar safes going to be any more secure, given the best I can do with one of those is /maybe/ bolt it to my bedframe and all that takes to remove is the correct sized wrench?

Or should I just forget the entire endeavor until I can afford a proper heavy safe that can't just be made off with?

The only alternative I can think of is to carry the trigger group with me whenever I leave the house so any thief won't be stealing a working gun.

I don't think anyone's ever going to actually break into my home because I don't live in a shitty neighborhood, but I figure better safe than sorry.
>>
>>28269825
it'll keep most thieves off your butt unless you happen to have some bolt cutters in the house they can borrow while ransacking you. if they have to come back some time just to pop some can that might have some cum soaked napkins in it they won't bother.
>>
>>28269677
$1000 is going to more than satisfy your needs. Christ I'm only looking to spend 5 - 600
>>
>>28265766

I got the smallest one (before they got the cuboid size).

All my local options were terrible. I didn't like paying the extra shipping, but they were running a promotion on the time to get 7 gauge steel for the entire safe.

Aside from wanting to put everything in it, I think the only real issue I have is that there's no nearby outlets for me to plug in the dehumidifier rod so I'm cycling the reusable ones in and out instead.
>>
>>28265937
>>28266040
>>28266196
>>28269615
>all this retardation
>muh safes are indestructible!!!
>implying burglars busting into your house aren't going to have tools to open things with
>implying burglars operate alone
>implying your shitty 200 lb safe isn't easy to slide across a floor

Unless it's some small time piece of shit (which wouldn't break into a house to begin with) they're going to have:
-Experience
-Tools
-Multiple people

Let's say it's someone who knows what you have (because you shitposted your collection on the internet) and know what you keep them in. They will bring along a cutoff wheel or a small torch which fit in a backpack and fuck your shit up even easier.

I had someone pry the bars off of my door and steal everything inside by placing all of my shit in my trashcans (which had wheels) then wheeling it off through my neighborhood 4 blocks away to their truck. I recovered 95% of it only because I had cameras and because it was someone I knew (who was my "friend").

Prior to that I had someone cut the lock off the rear entrance at my business and steal not 1, but 30 firearms. I recovered a single rifle 4 years later. The only ones that remained were the ones that I had placed in another random location in gun cases, the rest were all taken. My mistake? I had them all behind a locked door in a closet which was kicked the fuck in until the hinge screws broke. Someone then loaded up 30 fucking guns into their vehicle and drove off without anyone seeing it happen. Did they take anything else? No. Want to know why? Because they knew what they were looking for. Someone that knew me personally sold me out or did it themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ViUdd-2LM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LgKThatkjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tTvW83SCLQ
>>
you guys best be bolting that shit to the wall/floor, cause I got mine carted out of my house by some asshole burglars
>>
>>28269825
Just get a stack on.
>>
>>28271925
My lesson for you to learn?

-Don't tell people about your guns
-Don't post pictures of where you keep them
-Don't update facebook that you're gun shopping
-Avoid transporting firearms to and from your vehicle when there are people around you

Don't get fucked like me. Most of what I lost was shitty older guns and surplus crap, but along with it went a few nicer winchester 94s and some stuff you can't get anymore or things that had personal value.

The police even know who pawned the one rifle I did recover, my father's first hunting rifle that he bought in 1974. Guess what, they couldn't find him at his listed address and told me I was shit out of luck.
>>
File: 1450680806300.jpg (90 KB, 950x705) Image search: [Google]
1450680806300.jpg
90 KB, 950x705
>>28267954
>>28269483

True, but if you can rationalize a specialized home defense gun, which most gun owners on this site do, then you can probably at least accept the logic of spending on a quality safe, considering a break in when you're not home is even more likely.

Plus, while your neighborhood might be nice and wholesome now, there's no telling if some urban development or Section 8 vouchers will drive a bunch of broke ass niggers your way, or worse a natural disaster or rioting. And god forbid it happens when you're old or broke and can't leave before your house value collapses. Cause then you might be stuck there for a while, and if that happens you'll be glad you've already got a safe AND HD gun.
>>
File: IMG_20151127_182026_198.jpg (849 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_182026_198.jpg
849 KB, 1840x3264
600 bucks on black Friday from the local tractor supply. How'd I do?
>>
>>28264679
The easiest way to protect against burglars is not to live near them. Stay far away from dindus
>>
>>28270775
My safe is pretty much at capacity too, and I thought that I would have more space than I needed for the guns I wanted. And I did, until I inherited a few shotguns. Yeah though good safe installation also requires a lot of planning to do really well, which in my mind is the best argument against it.

>>28271925
>implying your shitty 200 lb safe isn't easy to slide across a floor

lol try 850 pounds empty, not to mention bolted down in a corner of my basement with a jet ski resting on its side and assorted parts strewn around. No one is prying that shit up and then hauling it up the stairs with muscle power alone.

Not to mention, the doors and hinges are pretty decent as well, even if they somehow knock it over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOqDHedivQ

Now I don't doubt that pro safe crackers or explosives/drilling experts could make it inside in a matter of time. But then Jamal or Cletus looking for easy money for a fix is a more likely adversary to say the least.
>>
>>28272737
You'd have to own some expensive guns to consider it worthwhile to dump 2000+ dollars on a fancy safe.
>>
>>28272942

How much did your fridge cost?

Now ask yourself how much food, in dollars, is in it at any one time?

So why you can justify owning a fridge for MAYBE $500 worth of food (assuming bought groceries for christmas) but owning a decent safe for several thousand dollars worth of funs that would be stolen to be used in crimesis where you draw the line?
>>
350 euro and you need to have one here.
Its a piece of shit one, but has goverment approval
>>
>>28272988
Theres no lock on my fridge, dnno what you are saying
>>
>>28273016

>being obtuse to avoid answering question

It protects your food from spoiling/going bad so you can use it when you want to.

Be LESS autistic.
>>
File: IMG_20140811_214334_119.jpg (675 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140811_214334_119.jpg
675 KB, 1840x3264
I bought a cheap ass safe that looks real and had a recessed door. Then I bolted it to the floor in the linen closet.
A burglar will have to find it first.
Then they'll have to get into it with no way to pry on it without removing the door frame.
A saws all will get them into it pretty quick but that's true for most safes.
>>
File: GunSafe&AmmoCloset.jpg (891 KB, 1920x1564) Image search: [Google]
GunSafe&AmmoCloset.jpg
891 KB, 1920x1564
>>28272991

Same here. Have a safe & cabinet to adhere to existing storage regulation.

But any thief worth his salt would have it open in less than 10 minutes.

When I buy a place, instead of renting one, I'll look into getting a decent safe (heavy, maybe fireproof & certainly bolted to the floor/wall).
>>
>>28264725
They call that a cabinet, not a safe.
>>
>>28264679
I built a secret wall and a small table is part of it. The table moves with the door and the seam is hidden.

I love building secret shit in my house. When I die, whoever takes my house apart or works on it is in for surprise goodies all over lol. Gold, money, Penthouse mags back to 1970's
>>
i built my safe into the wall and attached a mirror to the front.

kids don't know its there, burglars won't know it's there, can't pull that shit out of the wall.

i'm trying to do the same with my good alcohol, working on a humidity controlled DIY version.
>>
>>28272988
Fridge has more than $500.00 in food. It has years of food.

Much more use than safe.

Not saying safe isn't important.

But if someone has a small amount of funs, it makes sense to not have safe.

Gun cabinet for $125.00 can be had, and should be had though by all.
>>
>>28273211
For your average burgle this is more than enough deterrent.

Most likely it's a kid or meth head breaking into your place. They aren't gonna be able to get in.
>>
File: 5cb56ed5_femshep.jpg (14 KB, 737x414) Image search: [Google]
5cb56ed5_femshep.jpg
14 KB, 737x414
>>28273232
is das ne linkshänder AI?
>>
>>28264725
>won't stop anyone with 5 minutes and a crow bar

>but it works.

Wut?
>>
File: AI-AT308lefty-leftopen.jpg (817 KB, 2048x980) Image search: [Google]
AI-AT308lefty-leftopen.jpg
817 KB, 2048x980
>>28273316
>is das ne linkshänder AI?

That it is.
They did a limited production run in May or June this year. Had ordered it a year earlier. But it was worth the wait, I'd say.
>>
>>28273322
It would probably take 20-30 minutes. Not 5.

Most robberies are meth heads and kids. They want to go in and out. Computers/jewelry/things that go in a backpack will be taken.

I don't know what uber hit squad is gonna be robbing your shit.

Perhaps if you live in the middle of buttfuckistan where they can really sit around and lay into your cabinet then you need a giant safe.

The robberies in my neighborhood are 5 minute ordeals.
>>
>>28264893
Tin sheers or a ball peen hammer would let anyone access what's in a stack-on safe. Seriously they are thinner metal than the cheapest filling cabinet. Plus the locking mechanism is an absolute joke.
>>
A gun.
>>
>>28264679
I have a locker in my closet mounted to studs in the floor and walls. My main security is fucking OPSEC. Only the people in my life whom I would trust with my life know what I have and where I keep it.
>>
>>28272749
I think you paid way too much for the Nerf gun
>>
>>28264679
I put in a fake electrical box in my closet that holds my underfolder AK and a couple handguns, put a lock and electricians lockout tag on it

Like $50 and half a Saturday of work
>>
>>28273630
What type of box? Like a breaker box?
>>
File: IMG_20151221_095320.jpg (2 MB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151221_095320.jpg
2 MB, 2368x3200
500 pounds and bokted to the ground., Fire/flood rated. It's not the best, but it keeps out fuccbois.

Looking to upgrade soon
>>
ive been worried about burgs stealing my funs i have a dog as a deterent but hes really a big wimp. To the anons that own safes do you lock all your guns up or do you keep an ar or a pistol by your night stand for protection from dindus?
>>
>>28274058
Pistol in night stand to get me to the safe at night. Either locked up or on my waist in the day
>>
File: 20151221_090928.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151221_090928.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>28273593
Yah maby, but how do you put a price on guarding your virginity?
>>
>>28273339
Most small time thieves aren't breaking and entering. Like I said, when someone does come for your guns it's most likely going to be someone that knows you.

If it's not an issue for you then whatever, I'm just giving an example of what happened to me and cost me a lot of money. In my area that's how it is.
>>
>>28273302

>years of food in a fridge

Fatty. This is just at once.

Anyone who has ANY guns but goes cheap on his safe isnt a real gun owner.

They are dindu temporary storage.
>>
>>28265766
+1 for Sturdy Safes. Watch their youtube videos. Legit as fuck and the owner's daughter is hot.
>>
>>28264816
The ranch is where you want to have the most protection for your funs unfortunately. At least where i live, acreages and such are always the ones to get broken into, because everyone owns some sort of firearm when they own an acreage, and natives know that.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.