[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ just bought my first rifle and handgun. What do I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: 164428.jpg (58 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
164428.jpg
58 KB, 880x660
Hey /k/ just bought my first rifle and handgun. What do I need to keep up with proper cleaning. I can't decide what to buy and kind of unsure. I would prefer to purchase something that includes stuff for various firearms.

tldr;
Recommend me some cleaning products and stuff.
>>
>>28263437
Boretech or KG will clean the best with little work and no damage to your guns, some KG stuff needs to be cleaned with gloves tho, also for oil motor oil works fine for lubing but for rust resistance clp is a decent oil, tetra for grease, also eezox or corrosionx for storing guns , you will need special jags but its all worth it for super clean guns, or you can try electrolysis
>>
>>28263437
really OP a bore snake, shop towels, CLP(any kind really) and a tooth brush will be all you ever need
>>
>>28263457
>>28263475
Thanks Google give a lot of sponsored answers.
>>
>>28263539
Np, kg12 has cyanide and that's what you will need gloves for , alternatively the offerings by boretech are good too but just wear some gloves when you're applying either of it, but it will clean so fast and easy and you can do it inside because it doesn't feel and give you a headache, buy the boretech jag and a carbon rod and you should be gtg
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 528x297) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 528x297
>>28263564
>cyanide
>need gloves for

Shut the fuck up, trip flag.
>>
>>28263597
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide_poisoning
Post after you have a highschool science class kiddo
>>
>>28263597
i hope youre using gloves if youre working with cyanide, you cant really be that dumb can you?
>>
>>28263630
You should have more than just gloves, fucking retard. I go to a top tier engineering school as well, kiddo.
>>
>>28263691
Yep sure you do kiddo. Cleaning in a well ventilated area is a given, its printed on about every bottle of solvent in bold letters, you don't need an engineering degree to realize that.
>>
Not OP, but I have heard some mixed reviews about bore snakes. Stuff like they degrade from the chemicals, or they just don't clean as well as the old fashioned way.

Are these people full of shit?
>>
>>28263729
They are nice in a pinch until the shit breakes and you have a boresnake stuck in your barrel. Just use a rod and jag, it cleans better.
>>
>>28263597
so what did he say that was wrong that triggered you this time???
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 600x450
>>28263722
http://youtu.be/YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
>>28263729
They are fine for a quick portable cleaning device, but they in no way replace using a rod and jag/brush to do a thorough cleaning.
>>
>>28263746
It's just his autism flaring up. You'd have to be a total mental case to not use gloves with KG12, just as you would be by not cleaning in well ventilated areas, that's like the number #1 rule when cleaning.
>>28263755
Great rebuttal kid, I accept your defeat.
>>
>>28263729
There great when new, replace often...
>>
>>28263437
Regular old BreakFree CLP...
>>
>>28263771
How can I mute this tripfag? Cancerous POS can't shut his mouth and keeps ruining everything like a true mudslime
>>
>>28263475
>bore snake

Why do people keep recommending this crap. Just get some brass rods and brushes.
>>
File: 1397846071512.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1397846071512.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
So I usually use Hoppes 9, but got an early birthday gift of an M-Pro 7 cleaning kit that came with gun cleaner and LPX. Is the shit they say in the pamphlet about carbon and copper fouling true, or is it your standard snake oil talk?
>>
>>28263801

Agreed, you can fuck up shit with a bore snake just as fast as any rod.
>>
>>28263801

I think they are a good idea, it would make cleaning some guns mush easier, like my Winchesters 94; with a bore snake I would have to remove the bolt to clean the barrel from the chamber out, since really everything you need to clean is accessible when the action it open.
Of course, I could just put the rod through, and THEN put the patch on and pull it back, which is kind of cumbersome.
>>
>>28263817
How?
>>
>>28263800
There are apps/scripts for that.
>talks about bring cancerous
>posts am off topic post ITT
The irony!
>>28263801
Idiocy. They are as good as a knotted boot lace, but they are fast.
>>28263813
What do they say?
>>
>>28263829
wouldn't have to remove the bolt, I meant.
>>
So many fudds in this thread it's amazing.
>>
>>28263863
Please elaborate...
>>
>>28263800
>le cancer
>proceeds to shitpost
Kebablord is contributing to this thread and you arent remove yourself you cancerous shitposter
>>
Hot water -> soap -> degreaser -> hot water -> WD40

gg
>>
>>28263831
Repeated offcenter/offbore pulls will damage the crown, using an oversized one and scoring the bore, continued use of a poorly stored/dirty one causing bore damage, and then there is what happens when one breaks in your bore.

Basically if you are a hamfisted moron, you'll fuck up your piece regardless of what you use. Boresnakes, because of their lower cost and greater simplicity seem to attract more idiots.
>>
>>28263813
*Christmas gift
>>28263833
That, and I quote:
>Traditional solvents remove surface carbon fouling but have little to no effect on embedded carbon fouling. Traditional copper and lead solvents etch the meatal, but have little effect on embedded carbon fouling.
>M-Pro7™ is the ONLY gun cleaner on the market that removed the embedded carbon fouling layer allowing the embedded metal fouling to easily brush out

And then there's a side by side comparison of a cylinder, with one side looking god damned immaculate.
>>
>>28263863
Post like this are so cringy it hurts.
You just pop out to say something asinine to get attention. Do your parents not hug you enough?
>>
>>28263876
Cause all those battle rifles have precision cut target crowns...
>>
>>28263900
You're assuming that is all said cleaning device will be used on. Granted it's a non issue if the knucklehead in question is cleaning a backbored/counterbored '44 carbine, but they just might get their cheeto-orange boogerpickers on grandpap's Model 70 National Match, and inflict some damage.
>>
>>28263889
Sounds like bullshit. That's something a good cleaner should do anyway. Boretech is some of the only stuff that works for me for cleaning an AK piston totally clean in like 20 minutes without killing myself scrubbing. If you want your gun spotless all these chemicals are trash compared to electrolysis methods.
>>
So while we are on the topic of cleaning, anybody got a lot experience with electrolysis and could maybe point to a good guide for attempting it?
>>
>>28263952

Electrolytic cleaning is solidly in the category of "you'd better know what you are dong" alongside strong ammonia cleaners and ultrasound.

Seen more than a few damaged bores from people who were challenged to safely boil water, let alone clean a firearm properly.
>>
>>28264055
I'm busy ATM but have done it a few times, use Google and you can find a guide
>>28264061
Absolutely, you can either have as clean gun or totally fuck your gun up, you had better check and double triple quadruple check your leads and shit
>>
>>28264055
Found the guide I used

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ElectrolysisCleaningMethod

Here is another one that is good too

https://www.reddit.com/r/gunnitxt/comments/xccpu/a_step_by_step_guide_to_electrolytic_cleaning_of/

Watch a few videos on YT before you even attempt anything and read both guides twice
>>
>>28263437

CLP. Hoppes 9. Frog Lube.

Glorious cosmoline for long term.
>>
>>28264103
Thanks mate. I have an old inherited rifle that probably needs this done to it so I can pass it down in good condition one day.
Won't do it with anything extremely important until I'm comfortable with the process though.
>>
>>28263437
u need 1 botel of bleach and 1 botel of ammonia. pour both botels into bath tub, then put gun into bathtub and allow to soak for 12 hours. watch it constantly because sometimes the chemical can have a reaction with the gun metal and it will turn white which is when u will have to rinse the metal with water.

or you could just get some CLP and hoppes 9.
>>
>>28263437
CLP, Hoppes, Remoil. Buy a shit-ton of patches, a cleaning kit, and a box of Q-Tips. I have a bore snake, but rarely use it. Also, mechanic shops should have those big bags of shop rags, or know where to get them.
>>
>>28264125
Np buddy, itrs really easy once you understand which leads go where and what NOT to do and the guides should cover it
>>28264138
Ammonia and steel don't mix very well, I would never put ammonia on any of my firearms
>>28264165
Remoil is like the worst shit ever, might as well use oliv or vegetable oil, also places like Menard's autozome or home depot should sell those blue shop rags which are totally worth it, I use them for everything
>>
>>28264165
or if you are poor or too lazy to get or run out of gun patches just cut up small squares of an old white "wife beater" undershirt, that's what I do. the cloth is thin enough on wife beaters so it does not get stuck in the barrel.
>>
File: 1419706939365.jpg (158 KB, 417x515) Image search: [Google]
1419706939365.jpg
158 KB, 417x515
>>28264173
Ammonia and bleach is not a really great combo either.
>>
>>28264199
Plain white tees work better imo, they hold together a bit better when pushing through the barrel, I have like 20-30 white tees and when I need a new one for my gun use I take the dirtiest looking one and cut it up
>>28264208
>muh crystals meme
Chlorine gas will fuck you up
>>
>>28264217
One of the largest patch companies in the US got their start by cutting up worn out flannel underwear returned from prisons for recycling.
Belach needs an acid to release chlorine. With ammonia it just makes chloramines.
>>
>>28264236
That don't mean that patches hold up well, every time I've used a wife beater the patch will always break where the jag goes so the patch stays at the bore and the rod goes through it, bleach and ammonia produce acids when mixed tho

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicchemicals/a/Mixing-Bleach-And-Ammonia.htm
>>
>>28264173
Ammonia and bleach together will kill you, moron.
>>
>>28264272
No shit dumbass
>>28264270
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.