[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good is this rifle? I read about the definition of the scout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
File: 1438445978484.jpg (708 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1438445978484.jpg
708 KB, 1600x1200
How good is this rifle?

I read about the definition of the scout rifle, and I want this rifle because:

>Good for range fun
>Good for hunting
>Good for SHTF
>Good for home defense

I mean, it really is supposed to be the rifle that you should have if you could only have one.

Or is it not like this /k/?
>>
>>28262332
>HD
>Bolt
laughing_elf_man.jpg
>>
>>28262332
Fuck off you neo-fudd fedora fuck noguns faggot.
>>
>>28262337
Are you implying that when someone enters my house it will be an entire gang of some random criminals?

A bolt action is enough.
>>
>>28262344
enough=/=good
I read a lot on the Scout and I've heard its pretty good, the mags are expensive but I guess those new PMAGs work in them, never had actual confirmation, I plan on getting one once I'm in employment again.
Is it an end all platform? No, not even close. If you had to buy and own only one firearm for the rest of your life the Scout is not it.
>>
>>28262344
Are you implying the majority of burglaries in the US don't involved 2 or more perpetrators?
>>
Why does the bolt always bind up? Is it something that goes away with use?
>>
>>28262344
you are purposefully putting certain scenarios out of your capability when you can easily just not do that with a semi-auto or even pump.

Nevermind the more-than-one bad guy possibility, but what if you miss? How confidant are you in operating that bolt for a follow up? What if he's armed (not unheard of and more possible if it's a night break in) and he isn't running after being shot once in somewhere not immediately significant?
You're essentially introducing an extra step of operating the bolt, into an already high stress situation.
Unless you put many hours into practice and training, you still have to put over the hurdle of how you'll actually react in a real situation. Unless you've been in similar situations and know well enough how you'll execute.
>>
>>28262332
for your criteria, its the best option.
>>
>>28262332
as a bongistani the versatility of this bolt gun really appeals to me. Hope to get it a year or two from now, but need to save up enough dosh for my shotgun first.
>>
>>28262332
It's obscenely overpriced.
>>
>>28262332
>range fun
>SHTF
That's about all they're good for. Fun is subjective so it's whatever you want. SHTF, it shoots bullets and generally does so with low maintenance so sure.

Ultimately, the scout rifle concept is a solution to a problem no one has, particularly in 2015. Design features like the LER scope to allow easy top loading are made pointless when you can get bolt guns like the Mossberg MVP that take AR10 and M14 mags. Then consider the large number of 1-4x scopes on the market now, or lightweight and compact fixed power prism scopes, which can all be had on QD mounts. The only reason you'd even stick to a bolt gun at this point is weight. At this point you've basically just come back to a brush gun, with the stipulation that it have a detachable magazine.
>>
>>28262344
you gonna feel stupid as fuck if the burglar is charging at you with a knife and is high on meth and you are furiously shooting and backing up, working the bolt. even with semi-auto guns, mag dumping into a charging threat most people only connect with about 3 or 4 hits before the attacker is on top of you, if they aren't incapacitated
>>
File: 1407477098377.jpg (778 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1407477098377.jpg
778 KB, 1920x1080
>Good for range fun
>Good for hunting
>Good for SHTF
>Good for home defense

so, an AR?

an AK is fine too.
>>
does anyone know if it works with Pmag ?
>>
>>28262344
You're an idiot and I bet your mommy knows it too fucking nigger spic
>>
>>28265107
Not OP but I've always wondered, what's the point of having the barrel twisted looking on the outside like that?
>>
I still want a steyr scout... just because.
>>
>>28265205
>Not wanting you barrel to look like decorative rod iron hand railing
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Lol you faggots get so butthurt at these scout rifles,
>but but I could get a m&p AR or wasr for that much.
Dont listen to these faggots op, get the savage instead though, already bedded, factory adjuatable trigger, free floated, cheek riser standard. Mags fit flusher and are cheaper as well.
>>
>>28262332
No hands on experience with either, but I'd be temped to get a mossman mvp in either .223 or .308 instead of this if i was in the market, cheaper, uses AR mags, and reviews pretty well
>>
>>28262392
>implying you need to shoot both
you leave on alive so they tell their buddies not to fuck with you
>>
>>28265205
they say fluting increases surface area (which aids in cooling) as well as reduces a small amount of weight. theres also a claim of increased barrel rigidity.
but those are all debatable, its mostly aesthetics.
>>
>>28264879
This, I bought a Savage Hog Hunter over the Ruger GSR, simply because of the (at the time) $300 price difference.
>>
>>28265280
>rod iron
>>
>>28265297
rugers are free floated too. the older ones were questionable. new ones are quality. savage does have a nice trigger though.
>>
>>28262332

>good for SHTF
no
>good for home defense
no

everything else i guess it'd be ok. ive never understood the point of the scout rifle concept, it's always in .308, less than 10 round capacity and a bolt gun. why not just buy a dedicated hunting rifle in a much better caliber? or a good semi automatic? just seems like a stupid platform that tries to be too much.
>>
>>28262332
I want one, but I'd end up taking the rail off and using a 5 round mag and stipper clips. The only thing I like about it is that it's a .308 carbine with iron sights.
>>
>>28265429
plebs hate what they dont understand. its a short, light, extremely handy, RIFLE caliber rifle. a scout scope makes aiming way faster than a standard hunting rifle and you dont ever have to worry about scoping yourself in the eye. there is no semi-automatic alternative to the light weight and hard hitting capabilities and precision of a scoped bolt gun.
>>
>>28265429
its more or less outdated
>http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/scout-rifle/
>>
>>28265746
The weight of an autoloading action is not significantly more than that of a bolt action. And that's literally the only benefit. In all other aspects a semi automatic rifle built with the same purpose in mind will be as good or better than a scout rifle.
>>
>>28265387
For all intensive purposes, you know what he meant
>>
>>28262332
>scout mount
>with a detachable box mag
No
>heavy
>only available in .308
No

Literally its only good points (other than being built on a proven good action) are its not shit iron sights and its poorly implemented adjustable LOP.

You can do everything this rifle does well with a savage or base model m77 with a $90 XS top rail that has an integrated peep aperture. Cheaper, too.
>>
>>28265892
Knowing his intention doesn't soothe my autism
>should of
>can't think of any others at the moment
>>
>>28265205
It gives 99% of the stiffness of a heavier barrel, provides slightly more surface area to help cooling, and looks badass.
>>
>>28265746
Except its pretty fucking heavy for its size. An r700 SPS with a 24" sporter barrel is lighter.
>>
>>28265831
>autoloader not significantly heavy
Tbh senpai the extra weight isn't worth it if you're after a rifle for Innawoods which is where scout rifles find their niche. If you aren't going too far get a AK or AR or a battle rifle.
>>
I own one and it's great. Recoil is nice, factory trigger doesn't need need improvement. Having the barrel already threaded is nice for aftermarket stuff. The action also extracts the shit out of casings. Haven't had a failure to fire or feed yet. Accurate enough to kill something out to about 600 yards.
>>
>>28265746
Any traditional bolt action with a 1-4x scope does this just as well.
>>
my scout is a loyal bitch. its gonna be gripped in my cold dead hands.
>>
>>28262332
The scout rifle, while a good idea when it was conceived, is fucking stupid now. Let's look at what's changed:
>red dot sights now exist, Jeff Cooper himself said that a sight with magnification wasn't necessary
>detachable magazines on bolt action rifles are now popular, scout scope mount is no longer needed for easy loading of the magazine
>intermediate calibers with much better long range ballistics now exist

The whole point of the Jeff Cooper's scout rifle was to get a full power rifle round into something just as handy as an M16. If Jeff Cooper was still around today he'd take a lightweight AR-15 build chambered in 6.5mm Grendel over his original scout rifle idea.
>>
File: MDN7-R-F1-L.jpg (71 KB, 1200x249) Image search: [Google]
MDN7-R-F1-L.jpg
71 KB, 1200x249
>>28266812
>acting like jeff cooper invented the scout rifle concept
>acting like everybody who owns a scout rifle even knows who jeff cooper is
all he did was chop the barrel of a bolt gun to make it handier.
a scout rifle isnt meant for sniping. its meant to be a lightweight rifle for a mobile person capable of dropping a target if you have to.
you could definitely argue 308 is a better choice because of the heavier bullet options and increased medium range stopping power/penetration for game.
>>
>>28267034
>acting like jeff cooper invented the scout rifle concept
Except he did, and his scout rifle concept goes further than just having a scope mounted further forward.

>a scout rifle isnt meant for sniping
Yeah, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't be better suited with a round that has a flatter trajectory.
>>
File: liberalfaggot.gif (499 KB, 495x212) Image search: [Google]
liberalfaggot.gif
499 KB, 495x212
>>28262338
oh look, a raging liberal appears.
>>
File: 1444940818130.jpg (24 KB, 432x366) Image search: [Google]
1444940818130.jpg
24 KB, 432x366
can someone explain the point of having your scope way up front like that? are you even able to see through it?
>>
>>28267269
First, you need special long eye relief scopes that are intended to work like that. You can't just mount a regular scope there.

Obviously, yes.... it's even easier to find the reticle actually. More point-n-shoot-y than a conventional scope with its unforgiving eyebox. RDS are even better though.
>>
I feel like the concept would have less resistance if it was called the ranch rifle. A light, compact, >.308 rifle is handy as fuck. I have an idea for a scout project, I just need to find a donor Model 70, and piss away a paycheck.
>>
>>28262332
Shtf isnt real you fat nerd lmao
>>
>>28267269

Reloading from a clip.
>>
File: 24698413897.jpg (37 KB, 640x494) Image search: [Google]
24698413897.jpg
37 KB, 640x494
>>28262332
>>Good for home defense
>scout rifle
>>
I've shot one. With a regular scope. The owner said scout scopes are fucking retarded and I believe he got rid of the rifle.

DESU, I loved the action. Didn't shoot it from a bench or anything though.
>>
File: charger loaded.jpg (8 KB, 420x207) Image search: [Google]
charger loaded.jpg
8 KB, 420x207
>>28267269
> can someone explain the point of having your scope way up front like that?

The original scout rifle concept used modified military bolt-actions that had charger guides, allowing for relatively fast reloading with stripper clips while lightening the ammo load by eliminating bulky mags (or at least limiting it to 1-2 loaded mags as back-ups)

Thus the need to mount the scope in-front of the action to leave it clear for stripper clips but as the commercial scout rifles on the market do not have charger guides and can’t be loaded via stripper clips, the forward mounted LER scope becomes unnecessary.

> are you even able to see through it?

Yes, you can see through it as it’s a Long Eye Relief (LER) scope designed to be mounted forward like that.
>>
>>28262332
0/10 buy a mauser
>>
Why not one of those Spanish mausers that's cut down and is chambered in .308? Don't they take M14 mags too?
>>
>>28262332
They are cool as fuck, but for the cash you can get a basic AR 15, which will do everything but hunting out the gate.
>>
>>28267890
An AR15 with low cap mags is fine for hunting medium game.
>>
>>28267940
Not in my state. Lots of states have arbitrary rules regarding the calibre of the weapon. I would have to swap a 300 blackout upper to make hunting regs in my state.
>>
>>28266719
>>28266719
>I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do hereby leaveth my bear rifle to whatever finds it, Lord hope it be a white man. It is a good rifle, and killt the bear that killt me. Anyway, I am dead. Yours truly, Hatchet Jack."
>>
Scout rifles are dated and stupid concept. There is no do all rifle. The military tried it with the m14, and the civilian market tried it with the scout rifle

You're stuck with a lower magnification scope that doesn't take advantage of .308, and for most purposes, semi automatics in intermidate calibers have completely filled the niche of scouts. Improvements in bullets have increased the lethality of 5.56
>>
>>28267443
the owner was a fuckface. acquiring targets is faster with a scout scope because you can easily shoot with both eyes open. the only downfall is the lack of magnification that most are designed with.
>>
>>28268201
It appeals to minimalists. Doesn't mean that it is stupid. Quite the contrary. Bolt gun will always take a better beating.
>>
it's a ruger gimmick piece of shit
>>
>>28268329

>7 pound scout rifle

You're right. It took them forever to actually offer a composite stock, but the barrels have a hilarious profile. Ruger knows that they are bought as plinking toys, not for real use. The M77 Compact is under 6 pounds.
>>
>>28268247
With modern optics that really isn't such a big deal. Just look at common 3-gun optics, variable magnification down to 1x with forgiving eye boxes and quick to acquire reticles. I've thought about grabbing something like the Primary Arms fixed 2.5x scope and trying it out an light bolt gun to achieve the same thing.
>>
>>28268509
>shooting a 5 pound 308

its the perfect weight and nobody wants a sporter profile barrel on a rifle with a 10 round mag. no rifle can fill as many roles as a scout rifle.
>remove rear sight, mount traditional scope and you can shoot long range. 16 inch 308 with match ammo is good to 700.
>mount scout scope with quick release rings, extremely handy and quick to aim hunting rifle with backup iron sights
>remove rail, standard mauser with 10 round mag
the only role its lacking is home defense but it will still kill somebody if you point it at them and pull the trigger. literally you are retarded.
>>
>>28268247
If they were so much faster to use then you'd see people using them in 3 gun competitions, but they don't.
>>
>>28262344

Are you implying that in the heat of the moment you will be able to neutralize one person with one round?
>>
>>28262332
>>Good for range fun
Yes
>>Good for hunting
If your locality allowed the cartridge then yes.
>>Good for SHTF
There are better choices.
>>Good for home defense
No.
>>
>>28265317
yeah because two meth heads determined on killing are really gonna stop just because the other is dead.

Meth =/= logical person

have fun getting ass raped
>>
>>28269065
>it can fill all these roles if you modify it for each one!
The point of the scout rifle is that it can, in theory, tackle all of them in one configuration. The simple fact is that the LER scope is a compromise to allow loading through the action. If Jeff Cooper saw the market today he'd probably slap an ACOG on a Mossberg MVP and call it a day.
>>
>>28269093
guys run 1-4 and 1-6s in 3 gun. a scout scope isnt 1 power but its faster than your 3-9, 4/12 standard eye relief rifle scope. you would know that if youve ever looked through one.

in reality a scout rifle is a short and handy hunting rifle that excels in that role. can it be used for shtf? sure its got detachable mags. are their better options for shtf? yes.

is their a better AND cheaper option if you can only afford one rifle for two roles? no. and thats why scout rifles sell.
>>
File: super-retard.jpg (24 KB, 499x376) Image search: [Google]
super-retard.jpg
24 KB, 499x376
>>28269176
im sure he would slap a 1.5 inch eye relief acog on a 7 pound 308 and enjoy getting his eye socket fucked up with each shot.
>>
>>28268041
Or 6.8 or 6.5
>>
>>28265107
Wouldn't hunt with .223 but otherwise, this
>>
>>28269220
The scout rifle concept is supposed to use a low power scope. It's supposed to be just enough to make hit on a man/game animal at 400-500 yards, which a competent shooter should be able to do with 4x at most. A 3-9x or 4-12x is way too much. Cooper would have loved today's compact and lightweight 1-4x 3-gun scopes.
>>
>>28269220
>guys run 1-4 and 1-6s in 3 gun
How many people have scout scopes over x6? Scout scopes are faster because they tend to be lower power, get a similar power scope mounted normally and you won't see a difference.
>>
>>28269246
Or literally any other 2 to 4 power fixed magnification scope.
>>
>>28269310
the great thing about intermediate eye relief scopes is you never have to worry about scoping yourself even with a light rifle. also both eyes shooting is much easier and quicker. not everybody likes a 1-4 mounted 3 inches from your eyeballs when shooting a 308.
>>
>>28269437
You can get 1-4x scopes with 4" of eye relief such as the Nikon M-223 and the Vortex Viper PST, if you still have to worry about smacking your eye on the scope when the scope is up to 4" away then there's something clearly wrong with your technique and not the scope.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.