[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, not shitposting. this is legit right now and I could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: 555555555.jpg (147 KB, 1300x877) Image search: [Google]
555555555.jpg
147 KB, 1300x877
Hey /k/, not shitposting. this is legit right now and I could use some help.

I've always been the kind of guy who had fun going to gun ranges with friends but never owned one myself. Just was kind of blissfully ignorant of the world around me and didn't think I really needed one for my own protection.

Well now I have a psychopath who is actively hunting down me, my mom, and my two brothers and I don't know what to do. I've got a knife but I know that won't do shit against him because this guy is an ex-cop but was kicked off the force for his erratic behavior.

I could give the full story if you guys want but the basics are that this guy has nothing, my mom felt bad for him so she treated him nice, and he tried to force himself on her and luckily I was there to pull him off but he says he'll be back.

I need a gun to protect my mom and my two brothers but I've never fired a handgun before. Only stuff like shotguns, rifles, etc... what should I buy to deal with this asshole should/when he comes back?
>>
First off, call the police and tell them what's happening.

Second: is this going to be a carry gun? Or a home defense gun? Because they have different requirements.
>>
Get a 9mm OP shoot the sick fuck and post story
>>
>>28261444
call cops
buy 12 gauge shotgun and learn its manual of arms
>>
>>28261460
already called the police. they said that they can't take him in because there's no proof he actually said or did any of those things and it's just our word against his (but I'm guessing his status as an ex cop is helping him with them not going after him). but it would be a home defense gun. I'm home for the next month before I go back to college and it's most likely he'll come back within at least the next week if not the month.
>>
>>28261479
>>28261499
Agree with what that anon said get 12 Guage and blow the fucker away if he tries some shit against your family
>>
>>28261538
>>28261479
thanks anons, any particular model that would do the job best? money means nothing when it comes to protecting my family you know?
>>
>>28261567
Mossberg 500
>>
>>28261567
>>28261578

Seconding this. They're cheap and reliable. I love mine.

Get some slugs too, not bird shot.
>>
>>28261584
>>28261578
thank you again, I'll go out and buy it first thing in the morning
>>
>>28261567
File a restraining order, immediately.

Take mother to gun store. Buy something she can hold comfortably. Might be a shotgun (Mossburg 500, whether 12 or 20 gauge, is a good choice), or a pistol (Glock 19 would be a good one).

Don't get a revolver.

If you have lots of cash, a gun light is a good idea but they aren't exactly cheap. A Crimson Trace laser for a pistol is also not the cheapest but is really handy for aiming under stress.
>>
>>28261499
uhhhh then kill him dumb fuck

Or would you rather the homeless psycho have as much time as necessary to prepare to capture you, rape your boipussy in front of your mom, and kill you all to death?

Go down to niggertown, tell some shady crackhead that you'll give him $300 if he can come back with a functioning handgun and pair of shoes in 1 hour. He will come back in 45 minutes with a hi-point or a .25 Ramirez Arms piece of shit.

Put on hair net and gloves, find target, empty mag into forehead, drop the gun and leave. Burn shoes, clothes, gloves. Sleep like a fucking baby.
>>
>>28261444
I'm going against other anon's suggestion for a 12 gauge. In a high stress situation a pump action shotgun might get you killed if you are not proficient at the manual at arms. You could short shuck or forget to even cycle the action. I recommend a semi automatic rifle chambered in an intermediate caliber of your choice. More follow up shots, no manual action to worry about and higher cap mags over a shotgun.
>>
File: yawn.png (195 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
yawn.png
195 KB, 500x333
>psychopath
You aren't a medical practitioner, OP. You don't get to throw that diagnosis.

You did something and are about to get your ass kicked.

Don't try and swap the narrative for sympathy points.
>>
>>28261584
Better that he get buckshot. And honestly, if there's a chance the mother will use it, low-recoil buckshot.

Actually I'd almost recommend a lightweight AR over a shotgun if OP isn't worried about cash at all. It'll be like 2-3x as expensive as the shotgun, and in some states might be hard to own (in which case ignore), but it's much easier to shoot and handle than a shotgun, has more rounds in the gun, and for the mother she doesn't have to learn to pump the slide, just pull the trigger. A shotgun's spread doesn't really come into play at close range, so you're not really giving anything up.

Assuming it's legal in your state OP, having a pistol strapped to you or in your pocket while around the house is a way to make sure you aren't caught with the gun at the other end of the house.

And get that restraining order, seriously.
>>
>>28261589
If you die tonight, can we use your case as a reason to always own a firearm BEFORE you have to use it?
>>
>>28261598
>>28261606
>>28261611
thanks for the suggestions but a 12 gauge is actually something I've fired quite a few times and am used to using. I would use a handgun but like I said, I've never fired one so I do not trust myself to use it proficiently when the time comes.

as for a restraining order, that wouldn't do shit even if I could get it to go through. IF he comes to my house and I have a restraining order it's not like he's going to leave because I wave it in my face. I've gotten a restraining order once on an ex who was schizo and bipolar and it didn't do anything then.

and for finding him before he comes for my family, I wouldn't even know where to look. he's a drifter since he lost his pretty much everything and lives out of his car. I'd recognize that right away but we live i a town where you can hide a car easily and sleep for days without anyone ever finding you. (I know well enough, I used to park my car in these spots to sleep it off in high school)

as for the semi-automatic suggestion, what model would you recommend?
>>
>>28261637
I am actually.. I have a bachelor's in psychology and criminal justice.
>inb4 what am I doing with my life
>>
>>28261640
go for it, I feel like a jackass thinking me and my family was safe all these years just because we lived far away from any bad neighborhoods
>>
>>28261686
I just bought a Delton DT Sport for 500 bucks.. AR's really are the better home defense weapon.. hickok45 does a video on it.
>>
>>28261639

>some states it's hard to own

Private citizens in every state, and probably every country in the world, own ARs.

People just enjoy convincing you that you can't own a gun.
>>
>>28261499
OP, I don't know your budget but you need to get a firearm asap.
>if broke as fuck get a hi-point. They're ugly but they work. Don't go for less than 9mm. Maybe check out pawn shops and see if there's a good deal on a wheel gun.
>if you have a few hundred get a Glock. They're mechanically simple as fuck and there's no safety besides the trigger so you won't have to worry about fucking with a safety if you need the gun in a bad situation.
>get quality defensive ammo. Enough to max the capacity of your gun, plus some extra to run through your gun to function test with that exact type of ammo.
>get a decent amount of cheaper practice ammo of the same grain weight so you can practice for the same recoil profile of your hd ammo without blowing through money, or just more of the quality ammo if you have the money.
>go to the range and take everyone in your household. If your mom is hesitant about shooting, tell her that she at least needs to know how it functions so she can be safe around it.
>practice shooting as a family so everyone is together and safe at the same time and everyone knows how to use the last ditch tool.
>if the guy shows back up do not let him in, do not engage him in conversation, only let him know he needs to leave immediately and if he doesn't you are calling the cops, because thats exactly how you're going to handle it. You are the man of the house and this is how it's going to be. Differing opinions on what to do can be handled later. In the moment you will handle it this way.
>do not inform him you are armed. Do not make threats. He should only know you have a gun if you are shooting him dead with it in your home because he leaves you no other option.
>if you have no other option than lethal force, you use it lethally. A gun is not for convincing someone to back down, it is for ensuring that you survive an attempt of coercive force by another person.
>>
>>28261686
1) if someone comes to your house when you have a restraining order you can immediately call the police for them violating it rather than having to wait for them to start shit. Mom claiming rape attempt will probably get one.
2) Just because you know how to handle it doesn't mean the rest of your family does. He might wait longer than a month. He might act while you're not at home.
3) As far as ARs, most places have a Colt 6920; even better would be a Colt 6720 (the lightweight barrel version), or a pinned 14.5" barrel AR from Colt, Daniel Defense, Palmetto State Armory, Stag Arms, or Spikes Tactical. Lighter = easier for mother to use.

Get a sling for any longarm.
>>
>>28261639
okay, I'll get the restraining order but in my experience they do not work much. I live in pretty much the most conservative state there is when it comes to guns though so I can pretty much carry any gun I want as long I have a license for it.

There's no way my mom would ever use it though. Even considering the situation, she is vehemently against guns and against me buying one but I said it's not really up to her right now considering it's not only her life in danger right now but also my brothers
>>
>>28261696
You'll make a great HR employee.
Or a secretary.

You had better be a chick.
>>
>>28261732
Well then at least she can immediately call the cops if she sees the guy (once the restraining order is granted). They aren't a magical force field OP, they're a "I don't need an extra reason to call the cops other than that you're here", which is exactly what you want her to have.

Are your brothers old enough to be shown how to use a gun, if absolutely necessary?
>>
File: MossbergUSFlag.jpg (290 KB, 1380x742) Image search: [Google]
MossbergUSFlag.jpg
290 KB, 1380x742
>>28261479
>>28261538
>>28261578
>>28261584

I enjoy my shotgun, but I'm going to tell you that if you settle on one for your defense, you should really prioritize learning how to feed it quickly. If you get one with a shell saddle, take a spent shell and practice feeding one round from the saddle directly into the open chamber. I've gotten pretty quick at it after practicing a lot myself.

Now you understand the "Combat Reload"

>Pic related my 500. The two shells sticking up out the top of the saddles are the ones to be fed directly to the chamber. The other four go straight into the mag tube as soon as possible.
>>
>>28261751
I'm a guy... going back to college because he realized he fucked up honestly

>>28261711
thanks, that's good advice honestly, I can be rash under extreme pressure so knowing me I might've threatened him if he came to my house had you not said anything

>>28261729
>>28261706
I'll look in to both of those for sure
>>
>>28261769
hmm... that is true. I guess I did not consider that. My youngest sibling is 3 and the older one is about 10. I started shooting a 22lr around the age of 10 when my dad was still alive but I don't think I'd be able to give him anything in the realm of self-defense that he would be able to handle the kickback for. He's kind of a scrawny kid, even for 10. After this is all over though, I'm definitely teaching the kid to shoot
>>
>>28261606
Not that Anon over here has any experience in the matter...
>theperfectcrime.png
>>
File: CombatReloading.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CombatReloading.jpg
273 KB, 1920x1080
>>28261776
>practice feeding one round from the saddle directly into the open chamber

How you do it is up to you. Under the gun like this pic shows allows for a quicker reflex to send the pump forward again, but usually I end up feeding over the top of the gun to get the shell in faster.
>>
>>28261776
I'll definitely start doing that at the range. When I was firing off shotguns with my friends, we could always do it at our leisure so never had to prioritize that.

thanks for the info
>>
>>28261584

NO NO NO NO

OP DO NOT DO THIS

12 ga slugs have crazy penetration power. if you miss, you'll send a slug through a few walls, possibly even outside your house. for indoors, USE BUCKSHOT, 00 NOT 000. 000 doesn't preform as well as 00. people will tell you different, those people are wrong

you may also look into a 20ga instead. lighter recoil, easier to handle, and using #4 buckshot is very deadly in the close ranges of a house, but has the advantage of STOPPING when it hits walls

don't get fooled by the few people that make 00 buck for 20 ga either. it doesn't work right because the barrel isn't big enough for the shot to work correctly. #4 buck is the biggest you can go with 20ga if you want it to preform correctly on target.

LTL;DR

>12ga with 00 buck, or 20ga with #4 buck
>high lethality
>low chance of killing a neighbor with a stray shot.
>>
>>28261821
>12 ga slugs have crazy penetration power. if you miss, you'll send a slug through a few walls, possibly even outside your house. for indoors, USE BUCKSHOT, 00 NOT 000. 000 doesn't preform as well as 00. people will tell you different, those people are wrong

What this guy fails to mention is you have to be just as careful with buckshot. Drywall and wood will not protect any innocents who may end up behind your target.
>>
>>28261850

he's right, I did indeed fail to mention that.

even 00 buck has some serious penetration. no, it wont fly out of your house and down the street, but you gotta be careful as it will indeed go right through your interior walls, danger to anyone in the other room. It will also go through your bad guy at close range (which is not a BAD thing) just be aware of your target, and what's beyond it

>thanks for bringing that up anon
>>
>>28261821
>>28261850
>>28261874
Also OP,
Look at low-velocity shells. It may seem weaker, but the shot has a less chance of over penetrating walls and such, and more of the kinetic energy is delivered to the target in the process=stopping powah
>>
>>28261905

I can agree with this, but as I stated a few posts back, it may be best to go with 20ga #4 buckshot.

20ga is WAY more lethal than people give it credit for, having twice the energy of a .44 mag at the muzzle. It will kill the fuck out of your badguy, if you're using buckshot.

it also had a tendency to stop dead on walls, and if it hits drywall, it might get through but will have VERY low power on the other side, meaning it wont rip your mother to shreds if she's on the other side.

I personally use 20ga for my home defense. I live in an apartment and it's perfect for that situation.
>>
>>28261990
As someone with a 20 gauge who has fed it buckshot: agreed. #3 and #4 buck aren't easy to find in 20 gauge, but I got some #3 in a 3-inch shell and believe me those rounds have a fucking hell of a lot of recoil to them. I actually would sooner use something less potent just so I could recover from a miss faster.
>>
>>28261606
He has contacted the police before in order to report against the psycho so there would be reason for the police to suspect that he is the perpetrator. Once it gets to that point there's no turning back.
>>
>>28261696
Roasted
>>
>>28261444
>Ive got a knife to fight an ex cop
yeah you are blissfully ignorant of the world around you.
I would recommend you buy a semi auto rifle of some kind, any kind really, but you'd probably just shoot your toe off with it.
>>
>>28261686
So as for everyone recommending ARs, remember, this guy is shit with weapons. He is more likely to hit his neighbors house.

Once the bullet passes through a soft target its more than likely not going to do too much damage to stuff behind it, but it will be moving a new direction. As for buckshot, you sort of put the sight on his chest, then remove it with minimal over penetration, I would recommend an AR for inside the house because its short and lots of bullet, but I imagine this will mostly take place on the porch or yard if you're not a baddie, so I would just stick with something like a 590 or 870 with 00buck
>>
>>28261686
so what kind of car does he drive, and are there any stickers, do you know his tag number.

depending on your budget, and age (must be 21) I've been looking at like the Thureon Defense and Beretta CX4 for home defense because it's low caliber so there's less likelihood of hitting your neighbor's dog, and relatively high capacity. They have rails for mounting a flashlight and laser. They're about the cost of a good AR, but the AR has a learning curve which you sound a little unsure of.
>>
>>28262356
You told yourself a psychologist is a doctor, m8?
>>
>>28261696
just out of curiosity OP how do you go about identifying a psychopath?

I'd offer you advice but people more experienced in using guns have already given it to you, good luck though.
>>
>>28262610
well a psychologist is qualified to diagnose psychopathy, a run of the mill doctor isn't.
>>
>>28261444
Get like a ruger gp or something, its simple to use, powerful or take depending on load, also get an axe so you can split his face open with it, whatever gun you get make sure you're shooting it regularly
>>
Remove pig OP, for the /k/ube
>>
Op here

I've went to go get the restraining order and my hearing is in seven days. I went ahead and picked up a mossberg 500, a delton DT, straps for both, a browning hi-power which I'm carrying at all times while in the house, and I applied for my concealed carry license.

I'm taking all of these to the range in two hours and going to spend a good amount of time with each one but have lessons set up for the browing hi-power so I can learn to shoot it as quick as possible since I've never fired a handgun before.

If the thread is still alive, I will come back and update again
>>
>>28264571
Good for you OP for acting quickly and decisively.

Now, there's a couple other things I'd recommend for a full spectrum defense: house hardening and warning measures.

If you have a dog that barks when people come over, good, if not, well it's a bit late for that now. But there are alarms that you can put on your door each evening that will set off a lot of noise if someone messes with the handles. You can get do-it-yourself-setup video camera packages fairly cheaply (few hundred bucks) these days, and arrange these around your house linked to a home computer to watch around the property and/or notice and prove the guy came by. You can also get things like window laminate from 3M, Master Lock or similar products to bar the door--or better yet, read up on how to make sure you have a strong door and take any measures to improve yours that you might need (stronger screws, better strike plate, and so on).

You're unlikely to actually keep someone out of your house by hardening it but you'll buy yourself valuable time to react, and it might make him think twice if entry is not going as easily as he expected, or he might put off a plan he had earlier if he sees cameras.
>>
>>28264571
good setup op
shoot straight and true if the time comes and hopefully it never will
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.