[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do enlisted men always salute and obey officers no matter what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
Do enlisted men always salute and obey officers no matter what branch they are from?

What happens if you're a Marine private and come across an airforce captain?
>>
Wipe it off and apologise, Jarhead
>>
>>28257331

Do they always? No. Pedantics aside, enlisted saluting officers is absolutely a requirement, regardless of branch.

Corrective action or punishment for not adhering to that requirement can range from "hey there enlisted guy" to actual paperwork or article 15...depending on how big of a douche you or the officer acting like.
>>
you should salute, it's a courtesy.
>>
But what happens if an airforce captain gives you orders and you (a Marine private) think the orders are ridiculous and you'll get shit from your superiors for following them?
>>
>>28257408
I've worked with Officers of other branches and countries before, and I've always gotten slack from them for not saluting.

Senior enlisted though, fuck those douchenozzles...
>>
You salute all office monkeys. Regardless of the branch. Some are nice enough to avoid you or tell you to carry on before you even salute. They the real MVPs.

As far as following orders... Hard to say. If it's small and insignificant, sure. If it's anything more, the order would have to come down through your own chain of command.
>>
>>28257440
If the orders do not interfere with your primary mission then they're valid, within reason.
>>
>>28257841

What if it's a fellow enlisted man who outranks me?
>>
>>28257440
You do what you're ordered.

I mean shit if it's a Captain, in addition to him outranking you 9 ways to sunday, he's got a lot more experience than you as well, shitbag. He is both your superior and your senior. Shit you're not even a Lance yet and you're talking about trying to blatantly disobey orders?

And don't worry. Gunny's not gunna kill you for doing what you were told. Worst thing is he'll swear at nothing in general and tell you to avoid the guy in the first place.

But here's the thing, Officers don't mix with junior enlisted very much at all. Sure it happens, but there's a clear chain of command in the military. If he need something done he tells his NCOs.

Any further questions should be directed here:
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj.htm
>>
>>28257440

Self explanatory question.
>>
>>28257868
No you can just disobey all orders and directions. The military doesn't really care. While you're at it, flip the bird to your CO and show your dick to that Sgt. in supply, she'll think it's hot.
>>
>>28257868
I'm assuming you're Junior Enlisted. If that's the case, in this day and age, enlisted doesn't salute enlisted. Even while on garrison.

They could be ass hats and pull the BS on you. They wouldn't be wrong... It was like that in the past.
>>
>>28257868
If they are an E5 or above. You listen to that shit.

E4, at your own discretion.

E3 and below, fuck dat shit.
>>
File: pretty good stuff.png (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
pretty good stuff.png
1 MB, 1024x768
>>28257407
>>
Airforce brat here, I grew up near a navy base, and a lot of times when I was on base with my dad, enlisted Marines and sailors would salute him as he passed (provided he was in uniform).
>>
I was just finished 5 years in the marines earlier this year. I wouldn't salute other branches or other countries officers. I barely even saluted marine officers unless they made eye contact with me. Even then 2nd Lts and women would sooner get the finger than a salute. Nobody really said anything to me expect the douchebags that think they rate more than me. But that right there is the very reason I donnt salute them. If you cant tell, I really fucking hated the corps and especially orificers. I was a Sgt btw with more ribbons than most Lts and some Capts
>>
>>28258287
I'm guessing a good cookie wasn't one of those ribbons was it?
>>
>>28258287
>Made sergeant in 5 years in the current fleet.

You might not have been saluting properly but you really know how to suck a dick in the fucking POG-ist MOS you could find.

I'm not surprised nobody talked to you about it because you don't salute when out of uniform and most of the time you must have been in red lipstick and a blonde wig bent over a desk in a supply office.
>>
>>28258287
>I was just finished 5 years in the marines earlier this year.
And nothing of value was lost.

You've got such an inflated ego, you should have commissioned from the ranks!
>>
>>28258321
>TFW you make Sgt on time in grade points alone
>TFW you're on IRR so it doesn't matter at all
>TFW you've been out for 6 years and people are clearly tired of hearing the same Iraq stories when you go drinking
>>
>>28258304
Fuck no. 2 NJPs
>>28258321
I was a data pog in a grunt unit. I picked up slow as shit for my mos due to the 2 ninja punches. I called everyone out for sucking dick all the time. thats why higher ups hated me, I wouldnt comply to their bullshit ways. I was more like a Terminal Lance that someone got rank
>>
>>28258351
Why are the marines such fucking retards about promotions? Why don't they just have a real fucking promotion board rather then a totally arbitrary math problem?
>>
>>28258351
>time in grad points
yep, pretrty much, I had no desire to pick up. I wouldnt have known my promotion was coming up if one of my marines wasnt tracking the cutting scores every other day
>>
>>28258358
Wow, you must have been a real fuckin' rebel. I bet when the Delta Force came calling for you, you were like, "Fuck no, I'm done in two months because I got a million-dollar a year job on Wall St. lined-up." and then you got on your flying Harley, because you totally have a Harley that flies, and hauled ass into the sunset to the sound of wailing guitars.
>>
>>28257331
Yes. You salute, give proper greeting of the day (good morning sir, etc) and then go about your day.

There is some lenience given between branches however since most people don't have every branches rank insignia memorized. So if you didn't salute the airforce officer because you didn't know he was an officer you'll usually get a "hey, I'm an officer dumbass" at worst. Though as >>28257408 said, you could get charged with disrespecting an officer or similar if they are major assholes.
>>
>>28258375
>Why are Marines retards...
Just gonna softball that one in like that?
>>28258377
I got my warrant (warent? Whatever) in the mail. I guess it's better than when they pinned me on Cpl in the bathroom.
>>
>>28258287
Bullshit. You sound like infantry but you got rank like pog. Either a master with kneepads or you're lying.
>>
>>28258434
At least they pinned you. I was just given the warrant and told to fuck off.
>>
File: 1440816538328.jpg (116 KB, 820x461) Image search: [Google]
1440816538328.jpg
116 KB, 820x461
>>28258287

>things that never happened
>>
>>28258462
I said i was in a grunt unit. I didnt do anything related to my mos for the first 2 years in the fleet. I stood a fuckton of post and did a lot of other bs in afghan. My mos picks up fast as shit. Faster than I like cause my boots picked up just slightly after I finally did.
>>
>>28258491
More often than you would think. you must be a PBF
>>
>>28258519
PBF?
>>
>>28258491
It happens but it's pretty rare that they pick up any rank. Usually they get NJP'd into oblivion or non-rec'd for the rest of their short, sad, career.

>>28258534
Pog Boot Fuck
He's trying to act all salty and bad ass. Mostly sounds like an asshole that picked up rank through lazy command not non-rec'ing his ass.
>>
>>28258519
>>28258550

Ah, not a pog. You must be a real cool guy to throw that term around.
>>
>>28258550
I picked up rank cause of how crazy low my mos cutting scores are. I never did anything worthy of non-rec.
>>
>>28258597
Now, now. come on. No need to walk it back. You marched in, announced to the world how little of a fuck you gave and ranked-up like a motherfucker.

Own your stolen valor. Be proud of it.
>>
>>28258632
I don't understand what you are implying.
>>
>>28258645
He is flat out calling you a liar and an idiot. I'm not sure about the first part, but if you're too stupid to understand his implication, then he's definitely right about the second part, at least.
>>
>>28258645
You must not think much of your fellow /k/ommandos if you're going to expect people to believe you made it to E-5 in five years, in the current Marine Corps' environment of slow promotions, along with being NJP'd twice.
Then you claim to have more medals than a Captain, but that you were also a POG.

You can be MARSOC if you want, anon. No one here can really say you aren't.
>>
>>28258660
What I don't understand is how he came to that conclusion.
>>
>>28258690
You mustve been in during the Iraq war. Seriously though. I didnt have a lot of ribbons. but now that the wars over. i have more than most people. And since nobody reenlisting, especially in my mos, they hand out rank like fucking candy. my boots picked up cpl in less than 2 years and sgt at 3. its fucking stupid how low the cutting scores are for some mos's.
>>
>>28257331
>Do enlisted men always salute and obey officers no matter what branch they are from?
Yes.
>What happens if you're a Marine private and come across an airforce captain?
Salute and say the appropriate greeting.
>>
>>28258479
I would have much rather that than been standing at attention with someone taking a shit right behind me.
>>
>>28257440
Chain of command
>>
File: 1389907713313.jpg (12 KB, 284x276) Image search: [Google]
1389907713313.jpg
12 KB, 284x276
>>28257331
>Army E-9 has three arcs
>Marine E-9 has four arcs
>Air Force E-9 has five arcs
Holy kek was this some kind of pissing match between the branches?
>>
>>28258766
Unless either of you are out of uniform. In that case, you are supposed to be respectful but aren't required to ZIG HEIL.

>>28257440
That will never happen, so don't worry about it. An AF Captain would never notice you fucking exists, but in the event one of them tells you to do something you should do it.

On the bright side, no matter what you do you can just say the Captain told you to do it.
>>
>>28258581
Not sure who you are referring to. I'm not mister E-5 in five years with two NJP's.

>>28258597
>never did anything worthy of non-rec
>was NJP'd twice
>literally everything in this post >>28258287

>>28258848
I dunno m8, that would be something we would have laughed about for years.
>>
>>28259254
we do actually. Its quite hilarious. my buddy loved to point out that I had a hash mark as a cpl with no good cookie. and besides the NJPs i never got non-rec'd. And I only lost rank on the first one.
PVT, PFC, LCpl, PFC, LCpl, Cpl, Sgt, DD-214
>>
>>28259033
I don't know about the rest but the air force snco ranks got redesigned a decade or two back and a chevron was moved from the bottom to top. Fuck me if I know why though.
>>
>>28259288
I'm picking up a vibe- that attitude, the NJPs, the lackadaisical approach to customs and courtesies- you were a 3381, weren't you?
>>
>>28258287
Yeah, Arma sure is a fun game
>>
>>28258412
Nigger, all the officer insignia is the same
>>
>>28259685
No they aren't. Navy has different insignia than the USMC.

>>28259614
He said data which is in the 06XX field.
>>
>>28259614
I was Data 0651
>>28260405
The pay grades have the same insignia, Navy just has different names. As in a O-3 in the navy is a LT but its a Capt in every other branch. But its the same 2 bar ensignia
>>
A lot of bullshit being thrown around in this thread.
You must salute higher ranking officers in other branches. You are not obligated to follow orders from superiors that are not in your chain of command, but that doesn't mean if an O5 tells you to do something petty you tell him to fuck off. It's more like someone telling you to cover for staff duty or whatever detail you don't have to do it.
>>
>>28260447
>>28259685

Welp, I'm fucking stupid.

Didn't realize the officers wore special insignia for their MOS and that was the other bit I kept seeing on their collars. Fucking navy and their stupid insignia fetish.
>>
>>28257440

Ex-RAN here.
Look up what a 'lawful general order' is. If someone senior to you by rank or appointment (is same or lower rank but given a supervisor / squad leader position ) gives you a LAWFUL order then you are to follow it.

For example i was ordered to clean up some old recruit clothes in our greymart and missed a basket of socks. The LEUT who was DO tried to charge me for disobeying his orders over a basket of socks. Fortunately the coxwain realized that "sir" was being a dick and I did not intentionally miss the socks and I had intended to comply.

In Australia, if you are given a conflicting order you can (politely) advise as such. If the order is repeated and all turns to shit then you have recourse. Same with a unlawful order.
>>
>>28257841
>You salute all office monkeys.

This is why I could never be a POG officer, I would feel awful having grunts salute me, especially if they've actually seen deployment.
>>
>>28257440
I never listened to other branches I told them to find my OIC and tell him to give me the order. Most times Marine officers think it's hilarious and will fuck the other O's.
>>
>>28262643
>fuck the o's
Well I'm sure that happened sometimes I meant fuck with
>>
File: 1405672691130.jpg (9 KB, 241x242) Image search: [Google]
1405672691130.jpg
9 KB, 241x242
Guys...what if the President tells you to shoot a General, what do you do?
>>
>>28262690
>lawful order
Outright murder isn't lawful.
>>
File: military procedure 2.png (44 KB, 969x753) Image search: [Google]
military procedure 2.png
44 KB, 969x753
>>28257440
Chain of command applies.
He's due respect because of his rank, but has no autority over you (in most cases). So you don't have to obey his orders.
Otherwise it would be pretty easy for officers to pass a checkpoint.
>>
>>28262702
But what if the general is being all crazy?
>>
>>28262690
chain of command, if you wanted to keep your job you would obey the president. However, assassinating a general is potentially good reason to rebel, depending on circumstance.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.