[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
.22 Ammo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
Just trying to learn .22 ammo. Why choose copper-plated vs lead?
Why choose standard velocity vs high velocity vs hyper velocity?

What is mini mag?
What is stinger?
What is interceptor?
Is SuperExtra an Aguila branding term for high velocity rating?
Are .22 hollow points for advantages in in-flight ballistics like rifle bullets or wounding like pistol bullets?
Is there any real difference between 36gr & 40gr?
>>
>>28254006
So far the only .22 I have is a 10/22 takedown.
>>
File: 1389254898237.png (21 KB, 243x260) Image search: [Google]
1389254898237.png
21 KB, 243x260
>>28254006
>mini mag, stinger, interceptor

probably marketing names

If I were you, I would disregard the standard/hi/low velocity branding and look at the Feet Per Second (FPS) data, usually on the box.

speed of sound is around 1,050 FPS making most .22LR barely supersonic.

Copper plated ammo won't leave lead fouling in your barrel, copper plated ammo will leave copper fouling in your barrel.

Copper fouling is probably better than lead fouling, but you should remove both.

Time to watch some videos on how to properly clean your rifle.

To start out with, don't use brass or steel brushes, they're too hard. Even Brass/Steel rubbing on your bore enough will alter it enough to notice. Nylon is the brush material you should be using. Watch out dragging the brush back through the bore after a pass that you don't scrape the crown with the metal part.

For cleaning, something like this might be better than nothing.
>wet patch Hoppes #9 Solvent for 3 passes
>dry patch 3 passes
>wet patch Hoppes #9 Solvent for 1 pass
>dry patch 3 passes pushed through w/ a jag

Don't be afraid to inspect the bore with a good flashlight too.
Fouling is best described by a film left behind in the bore, usually easy enough to see in the grooves. For a .22LR, a thin film of lead, copper, or powder fouling is likely to occur. For a shotgun, melted plastic from the wad is deposited in the same way.

The bore of a barrel is affected by thermal, chemical, and mechanical erosion too. Try to keep the mechanical erosion purely bullets moving through it, not your cleaning rod.

If you're going to store it for a while after cleaning, you can run a patch of a thin oil, like 3-in-1 oil or ballistol through it, then patch it dry.

Do NOT leave beads/droplets of liquid inside the barrel! Shooting a rifle like this can cause a ring to form in the barrel.
>>
>>28254099
>Copper plated ammo won't leave lead fouling in your barrel

*It won't leave as much lead fouling in the barrel as a solid lead bullet.

You might also try putting a patch on the end of a nylon brush and pushing it through that way, so you won't be dragging as much dirt back through the bore if you don't stop to remove the brush when it's through.

>wet patch with hoppes, put on end of nylon brush
>push through, remove patch, pull back through
>>
>>28254099
>speed of sound is around 1,050 FPS
1125fps actually, or 330m/s
It's fresh in my mind, pretty vital in deciding some pellet rifle related stuff.
>>
File: DSC02617.jpg (25 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
DSC02617.jpg
25 KB, 800x450
>>28254099
Copper has a tendency to build up right next to the lands (raised portions in the rifling), it will usually be visibly copper colored.

This glock barrel appears to have some coppering right on the top of the lands, but it's still relevant.
>>
>>28254172
Thanks for the correction, but it is important to note that the speed of sound changes with temperature/humidity/elevation, etc.
>>
Are 22 hollowpoints even remotely functional?
>>
>>28254224
I'd say that some are, the cci velocitor is a good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc
>>
>>28254224
Well some of them fragment at least, I think those stingers are known to fragment decently.
>>
File: IMG_0459.jpg (596 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0459.jpg
596 KB, 1200x1600
>>28254099
>>28254127
>>28254206
I've noticed in my Marlin XT22 with the micro groove barrel it is much less accurate after cleaning the barrel. It likes to be "seasoned" with about 10 rounds or so then the groups tighten back up. CCI mini mags have provided the most consistent accuracy so far. I've never noticed this with either of my 10/22s but I don't really shoot those from a bench trying to see how accurate they are.

My favorite 22 is my ruger mark 3 though, lots of fun
>>
>>28254316
probably something similar to the "copper equilibrium" effect for precision rifle shooters.

a little bit of coppering left in the barrel will smooth over some imperfections and even tighten up the bore just a little better.

leaving a little copper in there is pretty common
>>
>>28254224
Yes, they do make a difference when using them for small game hunting, but if you just plan on plinking I would just go for the most cost effective round, hollow point or not. I would still stick to copper plated ammo though unless cleaning and potentially exposing yourself to lead while handling ammo or cleaning your gun isn't a concern.
>>
>>28254257
Gel fart at 0:26.
>>
>>28254099
>probably marketing names
Hm. I figured at least Mini Mag would be an actual mechanical term.

How about Thunderbolt?
>>
>>28254374
yyeah a little tiny bolt is inside the jacket, it makes a thundering noise when they separate into two pieces.
>>
So which specific .22 ammo do you prefer?
>>
>>28254936
cci std velocity cprn 40gr
>>
>>28254936
CPRN at or below 5 cents per round
>>
>>28256921
where
>>
>>28256924
Everywhere if you stick your head out at more than one place.

Hell, on more than half a dozen occasions I've not only found 1000 round packs of Winchester M-22 at Walmart but left some on the shelves.

Last month I was looking for a lockable pistol case because FOIA when I found four boxes of M22 being unloaded. I was going to buy three, but an older man came up and we each bought two.

Buy in bulk when you don't need it and you'll never need to buy when you do.
>>
>>28257338
>M-22
>.22LR AR
kek
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.