[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need help with building one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
Hey guys, I am new to 4chan (started few h ago) and I turned to you because I have heard good stuff about you and also that 4chan is a pretty open community. I came here because I am in need of help and opinions, I am building a 4 coiled coil gun and need someone smarter to check my electrical scheme that I have made for timing and powering the coils. Also I am not a creative guy (in art) and would like you to recommend me some cool designs.
>>
>>28252818
Go on post a schematic.
>>
Eat shit and die, newfag
>>
>>28252818
Fuck off newfag.

Post the schematic.
>>
>>28252829

thx for support
>>
>>28252818
We probably can't help you too much with the electrical side, but we can help with ergonomics/functionality

Which is where most homemade coilguns I've seen fail spectacularly at
>>
>>28252818
How old are you OP?
>>
>>28252841
I can, I know electronics. It probably won't work.
>>
>>28252818
>Smart
>open
>Helpful
Nigger you came to the wrong place.
>>
>>28252818
>4chan is a pretty open community
I'm sorry, OP.
>>
>>28252818
you're probably better off asking /diy/
>>
>>28252818
>Hey guys, I am new to 4chan (started few h ago) and I turned to you because I have heard good stuff about you and also that 4chan is a pretty open community.

Hahaha

In all seriousness, a railgun is something far easier to make. Then you don't need to worry about sensors to fire the coils and getting powerful enough SCRs and all that shit.
>>
File: 1449178749678.jpg (144 KB, 900x652) Image search: [Google]
1449178749678.jpg
144 KB, 900x652
>>28252818
Try do it yourself, they are pretty knowledgable about how stuff works.
Just cuz we talk about guns doesnt mean half the people on here know jack shit about how they work.
That goes doubly for coil guns, since its nothing like a gun except that it imparts forward motion on a projectile. And I think I can speak for myself and the vast majority of /k/ommandos when I say that i know jack shit about how they work beyond the vague notion that electro-magnets are involved.

In short coil guns are more like electronics than guns and we cant help you out much.
>>
>>28252835
Yo man. This is a site where words like faggot, nigger, jew, and autistic are used so much that they have become to us what crap, darn, and gosh dang-it are to other people.

Welcome to the weapons board of the internet's ghetto. Now git out.
>>
>>28252910
True that. A friend of mine built ancoil gun and issues he ran into included the following:

>Coils not discharging fully in time so that they slow the projectile down after their phase is over

>projectiles being unbalanced and flopping around due to nonuniform densities

>shitty components operating within ratings causing shorts and frying everything (not restricted to coilguns, they just have more components to fry for the sensors and pulse timing)

He got the gun to lob 5mm projectiles up to 60fps in semiauto when fed from a mag. But yeah, would suggest a solid armature railgun, no timing system like for the coilgun. Simpler is better.
>>
>>28252954
Yeah, getting the inductance right to discharge the coils at the right speed is a bitch. Unless you really know what you're doing don't bother.

If you're still going to insist on trying, head over to 4hv.org. They're pretty bright there and have a railgun/coilgun subforum.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Hey, sorry for the delay, uploading big url-s is a real pain in the arse, the trigger is the switch on the top left corner, fracing down, for some reason the second timer doesn't start
>>
>>28253039
dafuq i just read
>>
File: 1446012504388.jpg (143 KB, 900x652) Image search: [Google]
1446012504388.jpg
143 KB, 900x652
>>28252818
>>
>>28252931
/diy/ has a no weapons policy.
>>
>>28252818
I like this documentary and always wonder if it would be a good method besides the obvious issue of power and weight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGytW_C6hR8
>>
>>28252818
dude dont waste your time and do a rail gun. it is way more powerful than a coilgun and way simpler. if you want to make the timing for the coils and all that shit your call but i recommend getting some big ass capacitors and some soft iron projectiles.

Really hear me out OP as an engineer i tell you: do a railgun it is simpler and provides more fun, I have made a coil gun and it is simply not worth it.
>>
>>28256032
Than you call it a magnetic coil based linear accelerator.
>>
>>28257233
>>
I have studied about railguns, they are not so efficient, I have already bought stuff I need for the coilgun, which includes 2x100F capacitors, mosfets for switching, wire for coils and cooling system (oil based). I want to see it doing some work and shooting these projectiles fast and far, for that, I will be pushing >60A through the coils. The only problem here is the timer circuit. Trust me, I have done my homework
>>
I dont see any schematics yet. Times running out OP
>>
>>28252866
He might get like, cheap slingshot levels of power.
Enough to really sting and maybe kill small game.
>>
>>28259229
>sting a human
>kill small game

what small game, fucking ants?
>>
Fuck OP, post coilgunzzzz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTuX5pjljqk
>>
>>28252974
I think it should be possible to do a brushed coil gun? I am currently trying to design one that basically takes a copper plated projectile and uses that to flip the coils so you don't need to have a timing system. all that matters is brush placement and projectile length with you wanting for the projectile to cut current halfway through the coil.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.