[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Och my ears
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (338 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
338 KB, 1280x960
How does one not go deaf in combat with an unsuppresed weapon?
>>
>>28248819
you wear hearing protection.
>>
>>28248842
In combat? Really?
>>
>>28248819
You go deaf.

Or you sacrifice some degree of situational awareness by wearing ear protection.
>>
>>28248862
really.

Army hands out a lot flanged ear plugs. Some are called "combat ear plus" which have two ends per plug. One end is solid and the other has a hole in it. The hole end allows in a little more sound than the solid end.

If you are really operator, you get to use electronic ear pro that plugs into your radio.
>>
>>28248862

Yes.

You may hear somewhat better without ear plugs in before anything happens but you will hear substantially worse than someone who had them in the minuet gunfire starts up.

Is there a chance you won't hear the enemy coming up the stairs with ear plugs in?

Yes.

Is there a much better chance you won't be able to hear well enough to effectively communicate or operate a radio OR hear the enemy sneaking up the stairs if you go without?

Yes.
>>
>>28248926
So when do military personnel actually put on ear protection?

>patrolling shithole xy
>suddenly ambush
>need to return fire

Or do they walk around with it on already?
>>
We trained with out them. I dont know why we arnt all deaf.
>>
>>28248942
Put them in before going on mission. Though usually only when we were going to be in vehicles and urban.

Out in the mountains. We just sort of accepted the EEEEEEEeeeeeeEEEEEE. Because you could hear things well before seeing them. Plus being outside. The sound of our own fire wasn't so bad. Except for the SAW.
>>
An old friend of mine shot on the Army rifle team at Forst Eustis in the late 1950s. M1 Garand, M14, and .300WM bolt guns. No earpro. Ever. At all.

He's deaf as a post now.
>>
>>28248964
Thanks for the info friend
>>
>>28248964
thanb u 4 serbis :-DDDDD
>>
>>28248964
Buddy of mine was a 240 gunner and he said he would use cigarette butts as earpro.
>>
>>28248819

You do lose hearing. I know of several police departments that make former military undertake hearing tests to benchmark hearing before joining. Hearing loss is accepted as a by product of being front line military.
>>
>>28249146
all my test hearing loss in the human voice range. I have a really hard time hearing what people are saying if there is background noise.
>>
>>28248862
No.

Was never issued earplugs in country, never wore them. Worst I got was a day of EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE after contact followed by another day of feeling like I had cotton stuck in my ear. After that was fine.
>>
I've experienced a few days of ear-ringing after forgetting to wear ear pro hunting. 15+ rounds of 12GA... how does that compare to a mid-power rifle round?
>>
well, you can't usually hear shit in a gunfight anyway with everyone just losing their fucking minds because you haven't seen a TIC in like two days. You have to yell over gunfire anyway, some earpro doesn't really hurt anything.

Or you can snag some sweet peltors and get real fucking operator.
>>
Why isn't electronic earpro standard in the military?
>>
>>28250216
I honestly don't know. Electronic ear pro is already standard issue for pretty much all SOF units.

It's also not like it's that much more expensive. Depending on what kind of flanged "combat" ear plug your unit buys the cost can range from a few bucks to $75. I know on the civilian market electronic ear pro usually cost around $40.

Even if a military cost a bit more, you think it'd be worth it when it comes to hearing loss. You don't have to give it out to the whole army either, just make it an issue item for guys who are deploying or infantry or whatever.
>>
>>28250290
I have a mate in the Australian Defence Force reserves as a rifleman and he says they are given electronic ear pro. There you go
>>
>>28248942

At ranges/training. Never in country.

>EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeEeeee
>>
>>28250290
>Depending on what kind of flanged "combat" ear plug your unit buys the cost can range from a few bucks to $75. I know on the civilian market electronic ear pro usually cost around $40.
Bear in mind that $40 is the retail price you get buying one unit at a time. With a military purchase they'd go straight to the manufactuer with something along the lines of "I want 20,000 units now, with a further 80,000 units over the next six months, then 1,000 units a month for the next five years. I've brought my cheque book, so tell me how much it will be and I'll pay you for the whole lot right now". The upshot of that is the per unit cost they pay is a fraction of what it costs to walk in to a store and buy one off the shelf.
>>
>>28249877
Not as bad. Close tho. All being relative
>>
>>28249877
>http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

Check here. Remember that the decibel system is logarithmic. Every 10db you go up, the amplitude of the sound DOUBLES.
>>
File: MOP.png (781 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
MOP.png
781 KB, 1280x718
EAR REDEMPTION?

WHAT'S THAT? SOME KIND OF CHURCH FOR PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO HEAVY METAL?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.