[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What advantage is there using revolver over a semi-auto?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11
What advantage is there using revolver over a semi-auto?
>>
>>28107239
bigger cartridge more boom
>>
>>28107239
Looks classier when you kill yourself for making a gay thread
>>
Can handle larger calibers
Less susceptible to mechanical failure
Good for concealed carry
Looks pretty
>>
>>28107239
It goes better with your trench coat and fedora.
>>
>Can chamber large cartridges without being xbox huge.
>Ultra reliable. Nothing short of a catastrophic failure will stop a revolver from firing.
>Light primer strike? Bad ammo? Just keep pulling the trigger.
>Unfortunately if a revolver does malfunction. you basically have a small club, versus a repeater where you can simply rack the slide.
>No moving slide so you can fire even if the gun is being braced against the ground or someones body such as in hand to hand combat.
>Hair trigger made possible by setting the hammer back.

They have they're advantages and disadvantages. I don't like the tactical crowds idea that revolvers are antiquated. That's like saying a bolt action rifle or a pump action shotgun has no use.
>>
No jams.
>>
Pros:
Little chance of jams
Just pull the trigger again if you have a dud round

Cons:
Less capacity
Less concealable when talking small frame vs pocket semiauto

Other people ITT saying "more powerful"
No. Just no. Unlese you're CCing a big ass 44 or something like that, it's not true. And nobody is going to CC a .44 on a regular basis. .357 from a concealable sized revolver isn't any better than 10mm from a concealable automatic.
>>
File: literal perfection.jpg (73 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
literal perfection.jpg
73 KB, 683x1024
>>28107239

bigger bore
>>
>>28107239
you get to keep all of your own brass when at the range
>>
>>28107325
Not really.
>>
File: 1445577464514.jpg (34 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1445577464514.jpg
34 KB, 292x257
>>28107260
>Looks classier when you kill yourself for making a gay thread
I kek'd pretty hard at that one anon.
>>
Revolvers never jam
>>
>>28107239
Little to no, maybe a bit of added reliability.
>>
.357 Magnum
>>
>>28107239
If you have little/no familiarity with firearms they're simpler to use. No need to worry about safeties, about being able to rack the slide, or which button drops the mag. Just aim, pull trigger, repeat.

That's a pretty big advantage for a large number of carriers and gun owners in general.

>But you should be training with something you depend on with your life.
Yup, sure should. But that isn't the reality of what a lot of people do.
>>
>>28107276

>doesn't know what cylinder timing is
>doesn't know that revolvers can jam fucking hard
>fucking nogunz
>>
>>28108084
Doesn't know this rarely happens with good revolvers.
>>
>>28108021
yeah but when something goes wrong with a revolver it really goes wrong.
>>
The thrill of reloading OP

Also snub noses are great CC guns and popular revolver cartridges like .357 and .44 magnum are essentially the same as far as capacity goes between revolvers and semi-autos
>>
>>28108179
Thankfully this hasn't happened to me or anyone I know though.
>>
>>28107239

As much as I love revolvers there really isn't an advantage anymore. While I would say that they are more reliable, the rate at which they are more reliable is so small that it doesn't justify the lower capacity and slow reloads. Even the argument of magnum calibers isn't relevant anymore now that I can get a Glock 21 chambered in .460 Rowland.
>>
I'm under the impression that beginners will spray way much with DA revolver than with a modern striker fired pistol.
>>
semi auto is better for carry now a days than revolvers.

Yes, there are 'reliability' differences weighing in favor of the revolver, but for all practical purposes, in your average recreational/defensive shooter scenario assuming your guns aren't total shit (you didn't buy absolute garbage in the first place, you clean/maintain your shit on a regular basis) the reliability bit should NOT come up at all.

Also I'm not a fan of carrying revolvers, although this may come down to HOW you carry. I 3-o clock IWB and when you do that; it comes down much more to thickness than length; so a fullsize slim is much more comfortable for me than a fat snub.

There's a reason that law enforcement and military the world over choose semi over revolvers, they do this shit professionally.

Also moon clips are fucking bulky and weirdly shaped, you can easily and inconspicuously carry spare standard pistol magazines much easier than moon clips
>>
File: coonan.jpg (112 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
coonan.jpg
112 KB, 1024x682
>>28108070
>it's pretty fucking big though
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 500x380
>>28107275
>repeater

Haha really what is this, borderlands?

>>28107239
My opinion is that tactically, there is zero advantage. If I carried a backup gun though I would probably consider a snubby because to check on it and maintain it you just flip out the cylinder and clean out the dust. Not like an auto where you're worried about magazine springs, bullet setback from chambering a round too much, having to field strip it if you want to really clean the dust out. For a primary gun that's fine but I am lazy and don't want to have to keep track of two semi autos like that.
>>
File: ride.gif (49 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ride.gif
49 KB, 200x200
>>28108152
>mfw I found out my dad sold his python because the timing was off
>>
File: TritiumPepe.jpg (57 KB, 320x407) Image search: [Google]
TritiumPepe.jpg
57 KB, 320x407
>>28108745
>mfw when he told me he used the money for his Target P9S
>>
File: 1409894569094.jpg (247 KB, 830x974) Image search: [Google]
1409894569094.jpg
247 KB, 830x974
>>
File: P4300118x.jpg (1 MB, 1675x1339) Image search: [Google]
P4300118x.jpg
1 MB, 1675x1339
No picking up brass off the ground
>>
>>28109722
I still can't resist this bait
>>
easy to not drop/leave behind casings
>>
>>28107260
I thought it said
>Looks classier when killing yourself for GIVING gay head
>>
>>28107239
Looks pretty
>>
File: stuntmanducks.gif (2 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
stuntmanducks.gif
2 MB, 720x540
>>28107239
The only other thing effective against Superman other than Kryptonite is a thrown revolver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf1r8-Snss
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.