[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do people who join the military have any reason to own a car?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: modern car design.jpg (64 KB, 800x501) Image search: [Google]
modern car design.jpg
64 KB, 800x501
Do people who join the military have any reason to own a car? I'm joining the Air Force as a tech, basic is in a few months, and I'm wondering whether to sell my car or not before my first posting.

(have enough threads on /o/, thought I could get more answers here)
>>
Yes. Yes you do. While you won't be able to use it while in training it'll be invaluable once you actually get stationed anywhere.

Provided you don't have a specific training event going on, or are on deployment, the military is basically like any 9-5 job- except you probably start at 0630. At the end of the day you're free to do whatever you want, same on weekends.

Your car is a vital lifeline to the outside world and getting yourself out of the barracks to go socialize with normal people/drink. Personally I'd recommend getting s self driving car so you can get hammered with out worrying about a DUI.
>>
>>28104993
Not if you want to walk everywhere. Do you think you stay on base all the time?
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 640x640
>>28105118
>My face when I have privates with no car, tv, or laptop
What the fuck do they do with themselves, what do they spend their money on?
>Same damn private bounced a check to CITI bank trying to pay off his government travel card to cover up the fact that he never filed a proper travel voucher
Shit blows my fucking mind.
>>
>>28105118
I wasn't really sure how much time I'd spend on base. If I'm leaving most days, might as well keep it. If it's just a couple times a week, I guess I could get a cab or take the bus.
>>28105093
>self driving cars

Even if I did drink, never fucking ever.
>>
>>28104993
Absolutely. Bases can be huge, the size of cities. You are not going to walk everywhere on post.

Not to mention you'll want to go off post too.
>>
>>28105193
>get a cab
Hope you like paying $20 to get to the nearest place of worth. Also that's one way.

>Bus
If
You're lucky enough to be on a base that actually had a bus stop. Even a lot of the major ones don't.

>I don't drink
Not for long you don't.
>>
>>28105167
He's giving it to some sweet little thing that's got 4-5 dumb private sugar daddys.
>>
So I guess I should keep a car then? Okay.

Now I'm wondering whether to stick with my autotragic econobox or upgrade to something fun before I'm gone.
>>
>>28104993
Also, in case nobody's told you yet, don't go out and buy a new car.

There are approximately one shit-ton of A1Cs that have gone into debt buying some stupid car they can't afford because they were offered 0 down financing "for the great APR of just 30%".
>>
File: 1449212283412.jpg (94 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1449212283412.jpg
94 KB, 900x600
>>28104993

I always enjoy those "modern car design" rant threads in /o/
>>
File: 1448988505535.jpg (124 KB, 1148x664) Image search: [Google]
1448988505535.jpg
124 KB, 1148x664
>>28105430
>>
File: scion.jpg (58 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
scion.jpg
58 KB, 770x433
>>28105430
I don't really have a reason to be on it since I drive a stock auto shitbox and only know slightly more about cars than the average normie, but it's become my favorite board.
>>28105409
I've only got 8k in the bank at the moment so I'll wait a couple years before getting a good car I guess?
>>
>>28105398
I'd hold off until you're actually done and at your unit OP. Figure out how much money you actually have, where you're at, and how much it'll take to get your barracks room up to a nice standard.

Even in the Army you nominally have a room to yourself now, it should be the same for the Air Force. Invest in making your room nice. Get a TV, have some artwork, buy some nice sheets, make your place look like something that isn't a barracks room. This will go a long way to improving your quality of life and overall happiness. Don't skimp out on this part. That being said you can drop a fair chunk of change on this part- consider this befor you buy a new car.

Also there's no disadvantage to owning an econo box in the military versus a "fun" car. This is coming from somebody with a very "fun" highly impractical car.
>>
>>28105457
Assuming you already own a functioning car that gets you from A to B safely:

1. Keep it well maintained -- it's cheaper in the long run than letting problems compound. Even an old car will seem nicer if it's clean and running well.

2. Don't buy another car unless you can pay for it completely, without taking out any form of debt. Look for good used cars, where someone else has taken a big chunk of the depreciation hit for you.

As a newly-enlisted, cars are one of the two biggest threats to your financial well-being.
>>
>>28105507
Nothing too impactical. Manual BRZ with maybe a WORKS stage-2 turbo dropped in and a bit of subtle-looking aero bolted on when I can afford it aftermarket.
>>
>>28105556
Yeah, I've decided I'll wait several years before getting a new car. My current car only has 90k km on it and hasn't had any maintenance issues so far.
>>
>>28105569
Not that impractical. Honestly though I'd still hold off for now. Get through training, which will put a good chunk of change in your pocket since you will have a few months where you're not spending money, get yourself established, wait a little bit and see what your monthly expenditures look like versus your paychecks. Once you've been around for a bit and you've got a good idea of what's going on then make the decision.

Trust me, wait till you're out of your training and see where you are finically before making any car related decisions.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.