[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Ask a volunteer range officer anything, also general range
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13
File: 1448301938412.jpg (158 KB, 1341x1252) Image search: [Google]
1448301938412.jpg
158 KB, 1341x1252
ITT: Ask a volunteer range officer anything, also general range stories.
>>
File: 1443905606204.jpg (95 KB, 781x611) Image search: [Google]
1443905606204.jpg
95 KB, 781x611
Bumping with images till the questions come in.
>>
File: 1442858825136.jpg (95 KB, 960x639) Image search: [Google]
1442858825136.jpg
95 KB, 960x639
>>
File: 1444477501786.jpg (181 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1444477501786.jpg
181 KB, 1280x800
>>
File: 1446126738724.jpg (97 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1446126738724.jpg
97 KB, 800x600
>>
>>28102195
How often do wannabe gangstas with their problem solvers show up on a given month?
>>
How long have you been doing it?
Have you ever seen someone get shot?
>>
>>28102310
I'd say 3-4 times a month, I wouldn't care too much about them being here, they just have to follow our rules.
>>
I'm pretty new here so...

First, what is a "plinking" round?

Second, what are some tips for someone who will be going to a range for the first time soon?
>>
>>28102195
Where are you based at? (as specific as you want)
>>
>>28102331
Been doing it for a few weeks, I'm actually 19, came to the range when I was 18 and they asked me to come aboard. First volunteer they've ever had in 50 years.

I haven't seen someone shoot themselves, but a cool time ago someone shot himself in the chest with a little .22lr haha.
>>
>volunteer range officer
>he does it for free
>>
>>28102343
Plinking is just Fucking around type of shooting. Plinking ammo doesn't have to be stellar. Just has to go bang. It's a ton of fun.
>>
File: 1447512979443s.jpg (3 KB, 125x118) Image search: [Google]
1447512979443s.jpg
3 KB, 125x118
Okay, pretend I'm a complete noobie with guns. I arrive at your range with a long gun and a handgun. What do I do? How do I bring them into the range, unloaded and in a hardcase? Is a softcase okay? No case? How do I bring my own ammo and magazines in there? Is it cool just to have tons of ammo in my backpack with mags loaded up? Unloaded mags? Etc.

I've only shot out in the woods like a retard, mag dumping into dirt mounds.
>>
>>28102358
California. No we're not dick heads and we run a tight ship.
>>
>>28102195
>volunteer
Do you at least get free range time?
>>
>>28102370
What we would ask you to do is to bring them cased up, sign yourself in, fill out a liability form, ask you if you've ever shot here (we know regular customers), give you our rules, set you up at a table and tell you to stay behind the red line until the commence fire signal is given. By then your target should be hung up. We segregate both rifles and pistols. Meaning they're apart.
>>
>>28102407
What if I don't have any cases. Can I use a bass case?
>>
>>28102384
I do. They occasionally give me free ammo. I do a shift from 9-4pm. But realistically I get there at 7:30am to set up.
>>
>>28102412
You can bring your weapon slung over your shoulder with the action open. If it's a handgun, slide must be locked. We would just need to verify that it's clear.
>>
>>28102195
Seriously what is your "OMG what a fn noob" story
>>
>>28102364
I get to finger Fuck and shoot guns of every single type. I also have a bullet collection at home that I have been adding onto thanks to a round donation that customers graciously give me when I tell them about my offshoot hobby.
>>
>>28102195
fucking niggers
>>
>>28102434
Some asshole was muzzle sweeping everyone, then he Mag dumps with a 12 gauge and ruins our target frames. He also tried to shoot steel with bird shot.
>>
>>28102451
I haven't had a single problem with African Americans. Its typically teenage kids and off duty cops that we have a hard time with.
>>
File: 1449292956448.jpg (28 KB, 374x374) Image search: [Google]
1449292956448.jpg
28 KB, 374x374
>>28102407
So it's probably easier to come in and do the liability shit, then go back out and bring in the cases? I feel like if I walk in with a rifle slung over my back and a handgun in my hand with the slide back to a place I've never been I'd look like a retard.

Is there anything against bringing in loaded mags (that aren't in the gun obviously)? Would it just be easier to have them unloaded?

This is what autism looks like folks.
>>
>>28102195
Your G40 looks like a Hi Point clone...how does it differ?
>>
>>28102480
Everyone fills out a liability form. With regards to your other concerns, no two shooting ranges are alike. For good reason I think. Anyhow, if you have a chamber flag, stuff that into the handgun barrel, gives us great visuals. There's nothing at our range against bringing loaded mags. Again, all ranges are different. And another thing, don't feel bad about your guns or how you present yourself anon. I'm an RO but I shoot a mosin. There's guys next to me shooting $2000 ARs. Just learn to ignore them and you'll be all peachy.
>>
>>28102373
I'm in california too, so I have many qvestion:
Do you allow rapid fire?
If not, why not?
What do you mean by a "tight ship"?
What would you do if a guy showed up with a non-ban state compliant rifle and 30rd mags?
What would you do if a guy shows up with a SBS or SBR?
>>
>>28102520
Yes, I'm a college student Monday through Friday, RO on weekends. And gang banger every night.

>how do they differ?
Check ergos, quality, look, fit and finish as well as manual of arms and firing mechanism.
>>
File: 1447740939880.png (235 KB, 531x361) Image search: [Google]
1447740939880.png
235 KB, 531x361
>>28102521
Alright cool. Someone invited me to what I think was a "Fudd range" (the guy was like 65) and he was explaining the protocol and it sounds like that particular place was pretty anal about stuff.

I'm used to loading mags while people are downrange because I have no intention of murdering my own friends out in the woods.
>>
>>28102554
We don't allow rapid fire unfortunately, reason is because most people can't shoot accurately or hold their gun to save their life, their gun will be recoiling, bouncing everywhere and it'll damage our noise canceling walls or even our roof. We are an outdoor range.

Tight ship is basically a metaphor for having an efficient operation. Everyone is always safe, no one is ever in danger of shooting someone else. We have a comm system as well as visual access to either our rifle, handgun, shotgun, and bow side of the range.

We allow pre ban mags. Just don't talk about them at the range. For your own sake. If there's an sbr or sbs, we would ask you to shoot closer to the sound abatement walls that we have set up in between shooters. They basically cancel out the muzzle blast that you may feel from most ARs
>>
>>28102601
We wouldn't allow you to load mags at your shooting post, we just don't know who could be a crazy and kill someone. You could load them behind your shooting station (we have this red line painted 4 feet behind each shooters station, when a cease fire is called everyone stays behind it, no if and or but). So if you want to load ammo, do so behind the red line. I know it may sound anal to the customer but injury and death are only moments away from irresponsibility.
>>
>>28102559

>how do they differ?
>Check ergos, quality, look, fit and finish as well as manual of arms and firing mechanism.

Pretty sure ergos appear to be identical. I mean, I always thought Glocks were mid-tier, mass produced, fanboy stuff...but cloning HP seems a step backwards. Ive now lost what little respect I had for Glocks completely.
>>
>>28102195
He posted the photshop verison, its suppose to have a calculator not a glock
>>
Fun fact (more so an observation), 95% of all the weapons we see at our range are AR15 rifles. Typically the owners have them all dressed up with fancy red dots, acogs, or eotechs.
>>
>>28102661
By ergos I mean ergonomics. It just seems more comfortable to hold a glock. But maybe I misinterpreted your comment?
>>
>>28102661
>I've now lost what little respect for glocks completely

Don't really know how you've arrived at that conclusion. I'd ask you to reconsider and try firing both weapons. Then you could base your judgment.
>>
>>28102616
Thanks for the answers anon. Sounds like you are indeed not dickheads. Some ranges around here are painfully bitchy.
Shame about the rapid firing though. I like what the range I frequent does: There isn't a rule, but doing it will draw the attention of the RO, and you will be told to stop unless it is clear your shots are all on target. Fortunately we have steel targets, so it's easy to tell, even by ear.
>>
I hate the way ranges are run. I can't wait until I can afford property big enough and rural enough to shoot on.
>>
>>28102661
>retty sure ergos appear to be identical. I mean, I always thought Glocks were mid-tier, mass produced, fanboy stuff...but cloning HP seems a step backwards. Ive now lost what little respect I had for Glocks completely.
You're an idiot.

Glocks are a utilitarian gun. They're the toyota camry of guns. Bland, boring, but adequate in every way and very reliable. They aren't pretty boy pistols for people like you, and they certainly aren't hi point clones, you complete and utter fucking moron. Glock pistols predate the hi-point company by 10 years.
>>
>>28102716
Here's another question: Should ranges allow full-auto? I'm going to go ahead and say that if they invested several tens of thousands in their gun, they're likely not just some moron who will shot everything but the target.
>>
>>28102695
>>28102714
Youre either trollin, or full of shit son. Cuz thats a HiPoint in the pic...not Glock.

And I have...i rate them both shit tier handguns.
>>
>>28102554
I didn't answer the second part of your question, as far as non state complaint rifles, our policy is not to allow them, period. But I haven't seen the other ROs enforce it. Again it goes back to don't talk about it, and follow our main rules. Also don't make it to obvious (I.e. quick Mag change), that's my personal advice.
>>
File: not sure if troll or stupid.jpg (38 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
not sure if troll or stupid.jpg
38 KB, 604x453
>>28102661
>>
>>28102744
I know it's a hi point, I never made that photo. I think you and I are forgetting that fact that the person in that image actually said that. If you thought I was calling the hi point a glock youre mistaken, I was simply differentiating them. Going back to your other claim about the glock being shit, that's completely subjective.
>>
>>28102763
I got a feeling he's either or. Possibly both.
>>
>>28102373
Yo, cali guy, i need to move there soon.
So assault weapons, cali says some are banned by name, some are banned by features.
I was under the impression that if I just got a bullet button for my shit and used 10 round mags its legal, but somebody was tellin me no, and that I have to register them too, and that registration can be denied.
Am I all fucked up? Fill me in!

All this legalese is confusing.
>>
>>28102648
Oh yeah I understand that is something all ranges do. It sounded like they were nazis about slides being locked back while not in use, but I'll bring chamber flags.
>>
File: stgw_57_kurz.jpg (299 KB, 4320x3240) Image search: [Google]
stgw_57_kurz.jpg
299 KB, 4320x3240
>>28102195
Would you like it to be your full time paid job ?
>>
File: suisse-velo-20120514.jpg (27 KB, 400x314) Image search: [Google]
suisse-velo-20120514.jpg
27 KB, 400x314
>>28102798
Also, what's the "coolest" gun a customer brings to your range ?
>>
>>28102795
You can basically just throw the bullet button and use 10 round mags just fine. As long as your AR doesn't have a bayonet lug I don't see an issue. As for registration, was your gun built by you, or did you buy it (I.e. is there a manufacturer that put it together and it has a serial number)? This is important. Also registration isn't denied unless you have no business owning a firearm (I.e. felon, druggie etc.)
>>
File: fn_fal.jpg (20 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
fn_fal.jpg
20 KB, 600x300
>>28102770
Things such as sarcasm and being facetious are hard to determine normal text. Honestly thought you were under the impression that was indeed a Glock. For that, I can apologize.

indeed subjective. I respect that. Personally, I hate them though. As much as I hate ARs...because 75% of the people that own either or both think theyre "ready for teh terrorist zombie" apocolypse. If it wasnt for this gun culture arrogance, Id be more open to owning one of the aforementioned pieces. But to each his own.
>>
>>28102797
Glad you see it our way. You have to remember that ROs are human beings too and it would be terrible if someone got hurt. If someone shot themselves mortally or killed themselves by accident I would just burst into tears (I think) because we could have prevented it.
>>
>>28102798
I already work 2 other jobs aside from this volunteering gig. From what I know there's benefits attached to the positions. Only con is that park rangers from other sites cause a shit ton of shenanigans.
>>
File: why 1.png (3 KB, 196x177) Image search: [Google]
why 1.png
3 KB, 196x177
>>28102795
>i need to move there soon.
>>
>>28102819
Coolest gun I see is a .454 casull revolver with a bull barrel. It just spits flames everywhere. The guy has a Fucking Spock haircut too!
>>
>>28102844
>If someone shot themselves mortally or killed themselves by accident

than they have no right being around firearms...I think most of us can agree on that. These arent toys after all.
>>
>>28102648
Every range I've ever shot at had no range officer, and if there was another shooter you just enacted the honor system and asked the other guy if his ears were on before opening fire. I cannot imagine having some fuck stick rule prude coming up to me and asserting I cannot be trusted with my own weapon and hassling me about how I handle it. Fuck that.
>>
>>28102884
True but shit happens anon.
>>
>>28102871
What's funny is that some of the ROs talk about moving to the Midwest.
>>
>>28102895
You have some type of authority issue anon, as far as coming up to you we handle it in a non-aggressive way. I'd just ask you to correct your behavior and walk away.
>>
>>28102840
No offense taken buddy. Keep up the good fight and recruit new shooters.
>>
>>28102829
>>28102829
They are all professionally manufactured, I dont have a criminal background.
Actually, I hold a top secret clearance.
What about mandatory gun safe laws?
>>
>>28102927
You may be right about me having an issue with authority. Either way, the only time I see a range officer being necessary is for understanding accompanied first time shooters. I'd prefer the RO focus on them than my dad and uncle and the random stranger with 7 guns and I who obviously have it under control. That being said if you do good work keep doing it anon.
>>
>>28102737
I would love full auto firearms at the range. Actually I'd prefer burst fire.
>>
>>28102949
Okay, so they're manufactured. You would have to register them. Unfortunately. As far as safe laws. Those aren't enforced in my area. I don't know about the rest of California.
>>
>>28102871
Because its such a great place with awesome standards of living, wobderful sincere people, and an excellent track record for personal liberty!

Fuck no.

Because If I want to keep my job I have to.
>>
>>28102963
Your type of character on my range gets no attention (this is a good thing), we focus on people who don't know what they're doing. There's a reason why the regulars come everyday in the morning. We aren't there to be dickheads. Just keep everyone safe. Although, if you want my attention anon, you don't have to ask twice.
>>
>>28103023
Ouch, get ready for an expensive existence here. At least gas is cheap.
>>
>>28103023
>living where your work is instead of working where your life is
I am deeply disappointed.
>>
Our range would be Fucking god-tier if we still had steel going up to 500 yards on the rifle range.
>>
>>28103041
Chill anon. Not everyone has options.
>>
>>28103060
You always have options. If you have the kind of job that can ask you to move, you can find another job elsewhere.
>>
>>28103088
Good point. Anon must have some valuable skill or knowledge set that's applicable elsewhere.
>>
>>28102717
That's everyone's dream anon.
>>
>Be about 15-16
>Range day with pops, Brother-in-law, BiL's Nam Vet dad.
>Shoot Glock 17, Beretta Bobcat, Taurus .38 SPL, and Glock 20 at pistol part of the range.
>Make our way over to the rifle part of the range, father had brought his tacticool SKS and his Mini-14.
>Dickhead two lanes to my left brought his broad of a wife, an AK clone, and a Makarov
>Casings are continuously pelting me
>Several times they go down my jacket
>DNR dude refused to remind him that there is a separate section for pistols.

Still the worst range experience I've ever had.
>>
>>28103470
I'm sorry to hear about your experience anon. It could always be worse.
>>
>>28103493
Don't be sorry for me, I've had more than enough good times, like when I was in WV with pops and we forgot all the 10mm and .40 so we just bought 500 rounds of .22LR and tore through it with his Bobcat and a Ruger .22/45 with a bull barrel.

That time, there was nobody there so we would take turns walking up to targets, unloading on them Mossad-style.
>>
>>28102661
What the fuck are you on about? The joke in OP's picture is a nigger trying to pass off his hi-point as a glock, and OP is just playing along.
>>
>>28103529
Good, good.
>>28103562
We've cleared that up my good friend.
>>
>>28102195
Are you volunteering at Burro?
>>
>>28103668
Nah
>>
this thread makes me glad the ranges around me are outdoors, unmonitored and free of given fucks
>>
>>28102949
As of Jan2014 - ALL FIREARMS - need to be registered within 60 days from day you bring them into the state. Complete a single "New Resident Firearm Ownership Report" for all guns you're importing. The form to be filled out can be downloaded from the CADoJ site: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991
requires a $19 fee paid with submission.

>but doz spoopy ghost salt waifu laws

This:
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs

tl;dr
Slap a mag locking mechanism (aka "bullet button") on all sa rifles
+
10rd MAXIMUM CAPACITY for EVERY magazines
=
CA compliant

Also, no mandatory gun safe laws, but secure storage cos why not?
Absolutely no benefits to unsecured firearms/ALL NEG
ANY negligence on your part will result in +1buttraypeX10^23
your funs, your responsibility, your diligence, ur a bigboy

I am not a lawyer. Perhaps consulting with one would be wise esp. if at all unclear after parsing the code

more insight:
www.gunlaw.com/gun-law-articles/6-importing-firearms-into-california.html
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

and the piece de resistance:

calguns.net
>for everything funs

come join the brotherhood and eternal thankfully to be
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.