[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/. Long story short, I kinda fucked up my life for a little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1445401527444.jpg (397 KB, 699x491) Image search: [Google]
1445401527444.jpg
397 KB, 699x491
Hey /k/. Long story short, I kinda fucked up my life for a little while and threw away a really good education and career opportunity for a girl. I'm in the process of fixing it, and if I am readmitted back into the college that I turned down for her my life should be back on track, albeit 2 years late.

Problem is, I don't have enough money to afford it for all 4 years (it's about $27,000 a year, and I'm paying for it myself). I can afford the first year and a half, but past that I need money. So, I'm thinking of getting in shape and applying to the NROTC program. I need to lose a lot of weight and get in shape by next year, but I'm going to try. I have over 30 credit hours from the college I've been attending so I can't get the 4 year scholarship, I'm going to apply for the 3 or 2 year.

SO

I have a few questions about the 2-3 year NROTC scholarship that Google can't seem to answer. Will I still be able to select the submarine option, or is that only available to 4 year recipients? Is it easier to get the 2-3 year scholarship as opposed to the 4 year? And finally, just as a hypothetical, is there any chance that the US Navy will see real combat with a nation that has a functioning navy any time soon? If I do the submarine option I believe you're required to give them like 8 years.
>>
>>28096859
If money is an issue, why not enlist in the Navy instead so you can make some money while doing online classes or something? That way you can

-get blackout drunk in foreign ports
-see that the middle of the ocean looks the same in post parts of the world
-see stars and bioluminescence like you will never see in civilian life
-catch some STD's
-drive a brostang or enlistment bonus Ducati
-fuck bitches
-workout a lot because entire POG branch

Idk, if it was me desu senpai I'd rather enlist and take stuff online while hopefully getting a MOS that has real world application for a short easy finishing up of school after ETS or being done already and getting on with life in some new career
>>
>>28096859
dude if you really want subs, go do NUPOC. you get paid for your last 2 years of college, get to have long hair/a beard, only have to deal with 3 months of suck...
>>
>>28096859
Former NROTC midshipman here.

If you get a 4/3/2 year scholarship you can get anything; SWO, SEAL, pilot, subs.

Swo and subs you owe the USN 5 years active and 3 reserve, pilot it's wings+8 which usually winds up being 9.5-10 years.

USN is all over the place, you might be called to shoot tomahawks into Iraq or send seals into Iran or sink some Chinese ships. You may or may not see combat.

Apply for four year, then reevaluate for 3/2 year. If you're in a good major (stem) and your gpa is 3.2 or higher and you pass the prt, you've got a good shot at a scholly.
>>
>>28096859
What i am doing is taking financial aid and loans.there is a government program where if you become a public servant,teacher for an example, for a certain amount of years they wipe away your debt.so thats my plan and hopefully it sticks.
>>
>>28097207
Well right now, at the college I'm at, my major is mathematics and physics. The college I wanted to go to is the California Maritime Academy. It was always my dream to be a merchant mariner, and I kind of pissed it away for that girl. But hopefully if Cal Maritime accepts my transfer I can get my life back on track like I said.

From how you describe it, the Navy sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I love the ocean. That and I'll admit, coming from a middle class family where nobody ever really accomplished anything, I think it would make my parents really proud to say that their kid is an officer on a nuclear submarine, haha
>>
>>28097256
>pissed away career and life for a girl
>would make my parents proud to go nukes

There is nothing wrong with wanting to do something to make your old man and mom proud, however considering a similar train of thought led you to your current and self described fucked up life position, I think that least of all you should be concerned with others for a little while.
>>
>>28097269
*btw not saging you that was left on from another thread
>>
>>28096859
Or you can give blow jobs to guys in public restrooms for $20-$40 per bj
I bet you could make $400-$500 per day
In b4 your jaw would hurt.
>>
>>28096859
>for a girl

And this is why I don't bother with relationships.
>>
>>28097313
Yeah, that's what I would recommend. I met her and honestly thought she was this amazing girl that I would marry some day. Long story short, after I ended up telling Cal Maritime I wasn't going and shit she turned into an uber cunt. I was pretty suicidal for a while when it really started to sink in that she tricked me and I destroyed my own life because of it.

If I end up getting back into Cal Maritime, I am never going to date another woman again. I'll fuck whores and shit, but fuck relationships man. Modern day women aren't worth the fucking trouble
>>
>>28097363
>has had suicidal thoughts
>over a girl

>thinks he can be a sub officer

Shoremate, let me just save you some trouble.

I get that you want to make people proud, I get that you want to get your life on track, I even get thinking the military is the key to all this, but you need to realize your programming probably isn't going to be suited for this.

I'm not saying you're still suicidal, I'm not saying you will be suicidal if you join, but I believe in my heart of hearts that you will certainly not find the path you are looking for. This is not a condemnation of you as a human being or would be naval officer or whatever, simply a statement of fact. Life on a submarine is stressful to the point of breaking for the vast majority of people. As an officer you would be responsible not only for your own life, but of the people below you in very challenging, ever changing, and unpredictable situations.

I would not want you as my officer, not with that history.

There are many other less stressful and dangerous ways to improve yourself, that will not put the lives of others at risk or in danger.
>>
>>28097430
By saying I was "suicidal" I was just being hyperbolic. And it wasn't over her, I was just very upset for a while because I felt like I had irreparably ruined my life over a very stupid reason. I have since gotten over it when I realized I still had time to fix things and I am in a much better state of mind now.

I've never before had any issue with being away from friends or family, the problems I had with depression stemmed purely from the fact that I felt I was going nowhere in life and that I ruined things. Like I said, I got over it.
>>
>>28097523
Protip: Words like "depression" and "suicidal" anywhere in your statements or record will instantly disqualify you from consideration for subs.

As an officer, you get to learn a lot of things about subs. Especially when it comes to stress. The Russians have Typhoon class, which is famous for being able to dive to insanely deep levels of the ocean, withstanding pressures that would crush other submarines.

However, there is more to it.

The Russians know they can't do it twice. If one of their boats goes down that deep, the pressures exerted on the hull and structure will not allow it to go that deep ever again, without a substantial increase to the risk of failure- so much so that the revise the crush depth for the boat every time it goes there.

Stress is insidious, it is ever prevalent and unrelenting. You can say you're over it, but human beings have fucked up wiring in that most never know when to quit. They're usually the guys who blow their brains out when they fail a test or get told they will never again promote. Do yourself a solid and look elsewhere for your personal redemption story.
>>
File: ronerydoriva.png (458 KB, 574x415) Image search: [Google]
ronerydoriva.png
458 KB, 574x415
>>28097313
>>
Getting the scholarship is actually kinda hard, I'm very surprised I didn't get it.

4 years of a varsity sport, last year team captain.
4 years of JROTC. Didn't progress much though.
3.8 GPA all honors classes
30+ ACT
100% on everything physical except the run.
Perfect interview. Was even getting laughs out of the two people.
White male. Perfect health.
Sheeeeit I even did the Naval Academy summer seminar to check it out. Fuck that place though.

Maybe I let it slip that the main reason I was applying for the scholarship was because I needed the money for college. But hey that's the point of the fucking scholarship.
Or maybe my two references said some bad shit about me,I doubt it but we'll never know. Just got a phone call one day and the lady in charge told me I didn't get it And to apply year.

Now I'm just gonna do PLC.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.