[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In early 2016 a breakthrough in technology makes small shield
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9
File: dune_duel.jpg (153 KB, 615x400) Image search: [Google]
dune_duel.jpg
153 KB, 615x400
In early 2016 a breakthrough in technology makes small shield generators that can run for hours off a belt buckle battery reality.

These shields stop fast moving objects dead in their tracks but must allow air and slow moving objects through.

The technology is a new application of current materials and technology, and rapidly available on the commercial market at relatively affordable prices.

How quickly does this change warfare? How quickly does this change your EDC? And how?
>>
>>28094618

My edc would not change at all. What you're talking about is a huge break through. So it's not gonna be cheap, a whole lot of ppl can't afford it either. Even so, it'd prob be a few yrs before it was really mainstream.
>>
>>28094618
Idk man, you also gotta address how cheap spice gonna be at market price now nigga
>>
>>28094618
For clarification, the Dune books gave roughly 10cm/s as a maximum velocity before a shield halted it. Making projectile weapons unreliable, as anything going that slow could be stopped with pretty minimal physical armor under the shield, but arrow-guns and poison dart needles still existed.
>>
File: Rapier Lunge.png (167 KB, 692x307) Image search: [Google]
Rapier Lunge.png
167 KB, 692x307
>>28094685
>>28094671
lets have some fun extrapolating what a return to melee combat would look like with otherwise modern tech.
>>
What prevents a person from moving away from the slow knife as it penetrates the shield?
>>
>>28094698

Fine...I'll just carry a horse dildo, beat my enemy into submission.
>>
>>28094618
.45 ACP will be back on top.
>>
>>28094722
Har har.
>>
If you can do that
You can slap a fucking computer into it to get them to stop sharp objects, or metal, or anything entering from above foot level, etc

So this sort of nonsense is extremely contrived
>>
>>28094618
Make a EMP something device from a shitty 12 dollar Samsung and watch some multimillion dollar technology be rendered useless.
>>
>>28094618
"ow, my balls" will be the next Art of War
>>
>>28094618
With shields COIN operations can actually succeed because numbers = safety.

The us would acknowledge that swords are protected under the 2A, this is already true it just hasn't had it's day in court.

I add a fixed blade dagger to my EDC right behind my pistol. I buy a katana and jeep it in my trunk and start doing kendo again.
>>
File: gsm.jpg (46 KB, 468x309) Image search: [Google]
gsm.jpg
46 KB, 468x309
>>28094698
or we could discuss kraut space magic that can defeat belt buckle shields.
>>
carry a taser instead
>>
>>28094737
underrated post
>>
>>28094722
10/10 I checked 'em heartily.
>>
>>28094751

Sure.
>>
>>28094690
10 cm/s!??!! A bitch slap is faster than that! That sensitivity would be awfully impractical.
>goes in for hug too fast
>high velocity handshake
>vigorous thrusting while sex
>plops self down on couch at rate of 9.8 m/s^2
>>
>>28094707
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkQFhPJuxgk

Have to get them off balance, against something, or by surprise.

10cm/s Isn't terribly slow, a good thrust against an opponent put on bad footing could still land even if they weren't cornered, but it would mean your offense would have to be perfect.

These are the kind of questions I want anons to be thinking about. I liked the depiction of combat in Dune and I want to see what /k/ommandos would do if suddenly faced with a clear countermeasure to modern firearms, get clever.
Historically, knights and samurai, faced with good armor that took considerable effort and specialized weapons to puncture took to grappling.

Dune didn't talk about it but I'd expect to see a return to judo/jiu jitsu/ringen type grappling. Since you can't punch someone hard enough to really matter with shields on.
>>
>>28094731
That presumes it operates based on discretion. What if it just works by doing something rather than scanning and stopping things
>>
File: 1441642442322.jpg (87 KB, 800x510) Image search: [Google]
1441642442322.jpg
87 KB, 800x510
>>28094765
I also think that surprise pocket flamethrower attack is a viable option.

thanks again based germans!
>>
>>28094618
If someone jumped off a bridge into a river would they become a submarine?
>>
>>28094780
Hmm, I guess a cutting sword is too fast to penetrate the way you usually use them.

The question is what's better, slow deliberate sword strikes with a very sharp two handed sword or a thrusting weapon used slowly and deliberately.

And is reach still an advantage.

Armored up I can see how you'd need to grapple and use a dagger.
>>
>>28094618
i read a book with devices like that, they were called Warblers and produced a focused magnetic field that destabilized bullets in flight and caused them to curve out in random directions (larger objects like RPGs were too heavy to be deflected). the problem was that they also jammed radio signals and other sensors for the user and would actually deflect their own metal bullets, so they used rubber bullets instead.
>>
File: 1449296577511.jpg (9 KB, 124x115) Image search: [Google]
1449296577511.jpg
9 KB, 124x115
>>28094618

Scott Weiland?
>>
>>28094707
>step back too quickly
>shield decides receding knife is moving too quickly
>knife is snapped off at point of penetration and the intruding matter is projected inwardly at an unfavorable speed
>>
>>28094875
Sting
>>
>>28094848
That's stupid, any non-ferrous bullet (hint: that's most of them) would be unaffected by the magnetic field and just fly right through.
>>
>>28094882
>step back
>thrusts relative velocity to shield DECREASES.

The best way to defeat a pike wall is to sprint at it.

A machine that causes cowardly self preserving instincts to fail you.

Duke Vladmir "pediphile" Harkonnen is not the rightful ruler of Arrakis and probally has high collesterol too. The sands of Arrakis must be fed with the blood of off worlders. Leto and Atreides not Harkonnen and Sarudakar. Praise Muad'ib.

T. Duncan
>>
>>28094896
I know. I was joking.
>>
Fire my Las gun at it and create a pseudo atomic explosion.
>>
>>28094875
Too soon :(
>>
I open up a company selling gyrojet guns suitable for concealed carry.

Fuck your shields.
>>
Someone would make anti shield ammo
>>
File: OcelotI5.png (272 KB, 567x620) Image search: [Google]
OcelotI5.png
272 KB, 567x620
>>28094618
>How quickly does this change your EDC?
Not a bit.
>>
>>28094618
Assuming it's a copy of dune-tech, a lasgun would annihilate both the shield and the shooter. Which means any shield-employing army would be fucked if they ever had to fight someone who believes in suicide attacks as a way into paradise.
>>
I'd just add an employee device to it.

>shields ever existing or being practical.
>>
>>28095430
EMP

FUCK
>>
>>28094794
That sounds plausible. I don't know how "smart" the shields from Dune. You could try things like pepper spray, poison gas, electricity, heat, lasers, blinding light, slow-acting nooses, etc.

For EDC I think that blinding light and OC/pepper spray would be most effective.
>>
>>28094767
People don't wear the shields all the time. In the book it was the equivalent of body armor - soldiers and occasionally politicians or important people wore it.
>>
Whip out my lasgun and damn the consequences.
>>
>>28094618
.455 webley in all it's 600fps 212ft lbs of glory becomes the predominant smallarms caliber of the early 21st century until purpose built high caliber, low fps, high KE chamberings are developed to circumvent dunetech
>>
>>28094826
It might protect a user from a fire hose, but wouldn't do anything for a person immersed in water. You get one of two things. Either:

1) the shield reflects/absorbs the force of impact and then allows the user to swim normally, or:

2) the user is slammed into the inside of his shield with the usual amount of force, and probably fares a little bit worse than if they didn't have a shield.

IIRC a proper Dune-style shield deflects a projectile without robbing it of much velocity, if option 1 is in play skydiving just got really interesting.

My weapon of choice: miniature limpet grenades. Just stick it on/in your target and pull the pin. 100% of the shrapnel gets deflected into your target, you and bystanders are safe. Just make sure not to get caught inside your target's shield.
>>
>>28094736
this tbqh
>>
File: Dune-1.jpg (34 KB, 520x220) Image search: [Google]
Dune-1.jpg
34 KB, 520x220
Remember, it is the slow blade that penetrates the shield.
>>
>>28094618
Just like before, air power wins, this time with napalm and really slow HEAT. Planes are now essentially invincible once in the air.
>>
They had "drill bullets" in Dune. When the projectile hit the shield. It stuck to the shield and then drilled slowly through. Then accelerated again to kill the target behind the shield.

The reason melee combat became huge again in Dune. Was because laser weapon beams going through shields caused explosive interactions.
>>
Didn't Fremen have crossbows?
>>
> *the spice...*
>>
>>28094618
Add a microwave-spectrum laser.

Shield can't stop subatomic particles, and range doesn't matter since presumably you have a shield too. Would basically be a microwave shotgun that cooked you from the inside out, shield or no shield.
>>
>>28094618
>These shields stop fast moving objects dead in their tracks

I start carrying a .45
>>
>>28098647
Oh yeah, and
>inb4 dune shields cause mutual explosion with lasers
We're never clearly given the specs on a dune shield or dune lasgun, but it's fair to assume that they operate based on frequency. If the microwave rays were fired at a different frequency spectrum than the shield operated on, most would probably be able to penetrate.
>>
File: 1435196235838.jpg (135 KB, 853x543) Image search: [Google]
1435196235838.jpg
135 KB, 853x543
>>28094964
>>
>>28098671
kek
>>
>>28098585
yeah, but the absence of body shields was explained away with "driving the worms into a frenzy".
>>
>>28094618
We can Dune now
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.