[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HK P30L
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 9479507.jpg (46 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
9479507.jpg
46 KB, 450x450
What does /k/ think of the HK P30L? Anything better?

I know it's pricy but it's sexy as fuck
>>
>>28092787

Skip it unless it's an LEM variant.
>>
>>28092810

double action only? Not sure what LEM is
>>
She's a good gun, and I liked mine a lot but it fell to the VP9.

Adequate to great. It has a lot of very subjective facets like every other handgun ever, but I feel a little bit more with the P30.

The DA/SA (V3) trigger on the VP9 is decidedly meh. The SA mode isn't terrible but the DA is pretty awful. The light LEM (V1) is nice ish, but at the same time now that the VP9 is a thing I feel the V1 is just a bad compromise between the P30V3 and the VP9.

The rear mounted decocker, while strange at first, comes to be very pleasant. It's nice that you can decock the gun, and then go to holster it with your finger on the decocker to alleviate the possibility of snag related ND, since the hammer is disengaged.

Ergos are first rate, and I don't think I've ever met someone without a personal agenda rooted in you suck and we hate you that didn't find P30 ergos to be wonderful.

Paddle mag release, take it or leave it.

Manual safety V3 versions are available if you're a cocked and locked kind of person.

As to CC, it's a touch big. I never had any problem with mine but I've carried fullsize for as long as I can remember.

As always, YMMV.
>>
>>28092846

In simple terms it's a DA length pull with an almost SA weight. I don't like them, but that's me, not you or others. Like I stated above, if that's your bag you're almost certainly better suited with the VP9. Triggers are super subjective and the best course of action is for you to just run out and try to get your hands on one so you can get a real feal and not just people talking on the internet.
>>
>>28092787
Personally I prefer the USP for purely aesthetic reasons.
P30 is good though. I would say it does everything a USP does, and then some, but I still prefer the simplicity of the USP, also Jack Bauer didn't use a P30, so there's that.
>>
H&K

For when you want a Glock, but you're too hipster to buy one.
>>
File: 9x10_Jack_P30.jpg (231 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
9x10_Jack_P30.jpg
231 KB, 1920x1080
>>28092950

>Jack Bauer didn't use a P30

You status: Mad flavored jelly
>>
File: P30s 3.jpg (508 KB, 1296x968) Image search: [Google]
P30s 3.jpg
508 KB, 1296x968
>>28092874 pretty much sums it up

I love mine and I've owned 3 different P30s, and if I wasn't already very happy with the V1 P30L I'd have bought a VP9 a long time ago, but personally I'm very fond of the V1 trigger and I already shoot it well enough.
>>
>>28092993
Also, if you're looking for a hammer fired HK gun, P2000s are really cheap right now at around $650 NIB. I really don't know why P2000s don't get much love as they're great guns, and they're cheaper than any other hammer fired HK. My next buy will be a V2 P2000 that I'll convert to a V1. If you want to save some money and aren't dead set on the P30 I'd take it into consideration.
>>
>>28092984
No fucking way.
Brb. going to buy a P30.
>>
>>28092993

>V1 LEM

I just... can't. Especially now that the VP9 has become a thing. I'm glad you're happy with it but the one I tried for about 150 rounds just didn't sit right with me. They seem to have that strongly polarizing effect on people, you either love LEM/DAK or hate LEM/DAK, no inbetween. It also seems to split pretty evenly between people who prefer strikers or hammers, with the striker crowd not liking LEM/DAK and the hammer crowd liking them.

To each their own at the end of the day.
>>
>>28092846

It's a light double-action pull with an intermediate reset point. You'll get about a 5lb trigger with the light LEM variant, and about a 7lb with the heavy. It's a great (safe) carry trigger, and fairly easy to shoot well.

The reason I suggest it is because HK's DA/SA actions are terrible. SIG, CZ, and Beretta (after a bunch of dry fire and/or adding a D spring) are all vastly superior. Even their SA action is mediocre.
>>
>>28093055
I like LEM, hate DAK, prefer DA/SA on both.
>>
>>28093055

I'm the guy who suggested LEM up top. I can shoot a DAK rather well if it's treated like a revolver. The intermediate reset point is... well, pretty fucking bad. It has a great revolver-like pull though. I strongly prefer a SIG DA/SA to the DAK though.

I will say that I have a bias towards a rolling break in my trigger preferences. I used a NY1+3.5lb connector for quite a while when I did my first thing with Glocks, if that tells you anything (went from Glock to HK P-series to SIG, and am now back to Glocks). That combo in a Gen 4 is pretty bad though, so I now use the dot connector which is close enough for the break style (would prefer more takeup weight though).

I really do think HK's P-series DA/SA action is the worst on the market, though. A USP at least has the match trigger kit available.
>>
>>28093055
It really took me a long time for it to click. My first P30 was a V1 in .40S&W that I got for $500 on armslist and I hated it for the longest time so I sold it to my dad and bought a V3 in 9mm, and I'd occasionally borrow the old V1 .40 and I started liking it more and more. When I got the V1 P30L I really had to shoot a lot for the trigger to really grow on me, but once it did I really loved it.

I'm sure if I went straight from V3 to VP9 I wouldn't like the LEM as much as I do, but it just must be that I shot it enough to get really accustomed to it and actually enjoy it.

In general though, like you said, P30 triggers are 100% meh. P30 DA/SAs are meh (and maybe even shit compared to USP DA/SAs which are great) and P30 LEMs aren't as good as USP LEMs. If HK made a hammer fired gun with the externals of the P series and the internals of the USP series they'd have the perfect hammer fired gun. They kind of shot themselves in the foot with the triggers on the P series.
>>
>>28093114

I completely agree about the P-series DA/SA triggers being garbage. That was my only substantial and legitimate gripe with my P30, a trigger found wanting. For a gun approaching the $1,000 mark that shit was borderline unacceptable, and I'm not particularly one to gripe about muh trigger or muh bore axis.

That being said, the switch to striker and feel of the trigger was really my first and only reason for making the switch from a P30V3 to a LEO package VP9.
>>
>>28093132
I thought that if they made the HK45c in other calibers that would be a big seller.
That gun in 9mm or .357 sig (or 10mm, but I don't want to get greedy) is my wet dream.
>>
>>28093132

Absolutely, at the end of the day it's the shooter making the equipment, not the equipment making the shooter. Training will work miracles for even a mediocre piece of equipment as familiarity goes a long way, especially with handguns. That's just something I've been trying to preach in general for years and years, equipment is only so good up to a point, it's practice with it that makes it magic. Dudes with stupid ass shit like Salient Arms Glocks or Wilson 1911s can't hit the broadside of a fucking barn because the decided it was a better idea to spend $3,500 on a gun instead of $500 on a gun and $3,000 on ammo, which would go miles further.

tl;dr train, train, train
>>
>>28093162

>.357 Sig

HK tried it with the P2000, Smith did it too with the M&P for a while and they just wound up discontinuing them. There just isn't enough market for those calibers to make them cost effective for a manufacturer, or so it would seem anyway.
>>
>>28093147

Yeah. Thing is, there's really no good reason why it's so shitty. HK has shown that they can at least turn out a decent DA/SA action (USP match kits). Why they keep sending out pistols with 14lb DA pulls with a ton of stacking is beyond me.

I really liked the P30/P2000 combo I had. I still think the LEM is an excellent CCW trigger for most people -- good balance of safety and shootability, IMO. No need to worry about decocking, light enough pull to be manageable for most people, long enough travel to allow for some wiggle room for the inevitable trigger discipline mistakes that the general gun-buying public is going to have...
>>
>>28093197
I don't give a damn about the market, just make one for me.
>mfw I have a USP in .357 sig
>>
>>28093162

The P2000 is very close to the HK45C in feel. Grip size is roughly the same, texture is identical, triggers are basically the same, same general size pistol.
>>
>>28093245
The P2000 feels more like a USP though because of the slide.
Stop ruining my dreams man!
>>
>>28093216

Again, I find myself in agreeance with you.

If I had to put a finger on why they just didn't drop in, or modify USP internals to fit the P30 I really would refer to the banal statement of LAWL GERMAN ENGINEERING. I do a lot of side work on Diesel Volkswagens and Audis and I see it with those too. It really does seem that the Germans are exceedingly eager to come up with 100% new solutions to problems for which a solution already in existence could be fitted to with little effort. Guess it's just the way they think about this. I'm not an engineer or expert by any means so perhaps there is something I don't know about it, but I'm with you. Fit the fucking USP match trigger in the gun and call it a day. It's not even like they're trying to rake money out by selling a shit trigger and then selling you an upgrade, it's just there.
>>
>>28093284

Yeah, that was my thought too.

I had the same thought the first (and only) time I replaced the trigger return spring on my P30. Looked at it and thought, damn, they did everything in their power to over-engineer their way out of building a striker-fired action. (After all, the only reason LEM even exists is to fit into contract requirements that are basically written to say "we want a striker-fired trigger" (single trigger pull, ~5-7lbs, no safety, etc.)).
>>
>>28093360

> they did everything in their power to over-engineer their way out of building a striker-fired action

And then essentially just drop a striker in a P30 with the VP9.

Go figure.
>>
I own a P30L and it's probably one of my favorite full sized handguns I've ever owned, I would recommend buying one, very sleek ergonomic gun. Trigger leaves a little to be desired (I have the DA/SA version, can't complain). Stock sights kinda suck, but I replaced them. Paddle release I personally like
>>
File: show_file.jpg (139 KB, 858x719) Image search: [Google]
show_file.jpg
139 KB, 858x719
>>28092984
>>28093052
John Wick uses as well
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.