[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
California resident here, planning on living here for the next
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1449090629816.png (1 MB, 1162x603) Image search: [Google]
1449090629816.png
1 MB, 1162x603
California resident here, planning on living here for the next 5 years or so. Thinking of becoming a first time gun owner. I know California has a reputation for being shitty to legal gun owners. What are my best options? Interested in whatever is my best choice for home defense on a budget of let's say, $500. Is a handgun the way to go? I've never even shot a gun before. Do you need to go through the same sort of checking processes to simply try it out at a range as buying a gun?
>>
>>28086636
Just buy a Mossberg 500
>>
>>28086636

With $500 you could get a decent handgun, although you'll want to increase that budget to closer to $600 to be able to afford something new at a gun shop.

You do not have to go through a background check to rent a gun, but some places will not rent to you if you are alone.
>>
I can't keep track of all the ridiculous shit you have to do in california any more to make a purchase, but I would recommend and 870 or 500 if you're going to have just one gun. If you decide to go handgun I'd recommend a 1911, there's lots of great options for HD out there but since anything you would have in CA would be neutered you might as well stick with those recommendations.
>>
>>28086636
>what is my best option?

Move to a less shitty state.
>>
>>28086636
is mudasir affiliated to the islamic state in any way?
>>
>>28086670
It's ridiculous but not that difficult.
1. Take the safety test.
Sample question: You should always point your gun:
a. in a safe direction
b. at a school
c. at your body
d. were the voices tell you
2. fill out the paper work (with 2 proofs of residence and ID)
3. pay all fees and taxes
4. wait ten days
5. wait a month then start at #2 and repeat
>>
>>28086651
>>28086670

>low capacity
>high recoil
>slow reload
>easy to short stroke

hurr durr shotgun is best hd gun
>>
>>28086670
Is it that bad? I had some counseling for adhd/depression as a kid. Am I blacklisted for life in California over stuff like that? I'm not an emo edgelord anymore. If that's the case what are the best non-lethal home defense weapons? Any /k/ approved stun/mace guns, stuff in that sort of vein?
>>
>>28086736

No you're not "black-listed" unless you've been adjudicated mentally defective. There are no good less-lethal defense options. You're fine to buy a gun faggot.
>>
>>28086725
You can eliminate two of those problems by not being a bumbling retard, one by not being a gaping vagina, and the other by having a enough sense to buy and extended tube.
>>28086736
They're perpetually trying to pass laws to make people like you ineligible but I think you're still okay as is. You should just have to pass NICS and then the waiting period.
>>
>>28086636
California resident here.

What the hell is a gun?
>>
>>28086716
Pennsylvania:

1. Sign a thing while the dude does a five minute computer background check.
>>
>>28086823

Bumbling retard or not, reloading a shotgun is objectively slower than replacing a magazine in a rifle or handgun.

Bumbling retard or not, it is much more difficult to fuck up slingshotting a semi-auto than it is to fuck up racking a pump shotgun.

Gaping vagina or not, a shotgun has objectively more recoil than a 9mm handgun or .223 rifle.

Extended tube or not, an HD shotgun won't have 15 or 30 shells in the tube.

It's objectively easier to get more rounds on target faster with a handgun or rifle than it is with a shotgun.
>>
>>28086859
Those are all valid points as well.
The main thing I was getting at in my original suggestion though was that since OP will be in California he would probably be better suited by a shotgun due to the mag limitations. With a decent tube extension he could have as many or more rounds of 12 gauge than he would of 9mm or .40, I'll admit I like shotguns for HD but I'd honestly grab my S&W 5904 over my 500 if I only had seconds to react.
>>
>>28087007

The mag limitations are not as bad in CA as you might think. Although purchasing or importing a "high capacity" mag that holds over 10 rounds is illegal, as is modifying a 10 round mag to hold more than 10 rounds, you can still legally own and use "high capacity" mags.

As long as you don't get caught importing, manufacturing, buying, or selling the mag, you're good to go once you've got it. It's very easy to remove the plastic block or rivet from a standard Glock or AR mag to return it to it's full capacity, and no one else can ever prove you did it.

Also: what decent mag extension will give you 17 rounds of 12 gauge? Please keep in mind we're talking about HD shotguns, not the crazy 3 gun shotguns with 30 inch barrels and even longer mag tubes.
>>
>>28086716
>wait a month then start #2 and repeat
Just so everyone one knows, you only have to wait a month when buying handguns. I have two rifles that I'll be filling out paperwork for later today and I'll be picking both of them up 10 days from now.

>>28086725
>low capacity
Relative to other shotguns or to guns in general?
You can get the 500's Persuader model that makes the tube go all the way to the end of the barrel adding one or two to the capacity, I don't remember.

>>28086859
>slower than replacing a magazine in a rifle
Wrong. With the bullet buttons on rifles, it will take longer to reload (especially if you're using an AK, you might as well just throw the thing at them since it will be faster). On top of that, you're limited to only using 10 rounds, so an 8 shot shotgun isn't that far off.
>>
>>28086636
OP, since you have a low budget, go to big 5 and get yourself a mossberg 500. They are always on sale.

If you want a handgun, save up.

Any type of handgun not sold at a gun store will be used and sold at a markup of 1-200$ over retail price since there is more demand than supply in this state.

Also fyi you have to be 18 to buy a rifle or shotgun and 21 for handguns.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.