[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My 1st bow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: genesis_bow_original_jumbo.jpg (95 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
genesis_bow_original_jumbo.jpg
95 KB, 500x500
Hello /k.
I was thinking about getting into some archery sports.
What should I know before buying my 1st bow ?
Also, some training tips will be welcome.
>>
>>28086226
you'll shoot your eye out
>>
Go to an archery store (not a cabelas, scheels,etc.) And have them walk you thru the whole process
>>
>>28086226
Buy a recurve or longbow, none of that new wave hick shit
>>
>>28086226
The go-to beginner bow is the samick sage takedown bow.
>>
>>28086740
What's wrong with a compound? I find it more consistent and I have an easier time getting shots on target
>>
>>28088468
nothing, only hipsters think that longbows or recurves have any sort of advantage over them
>>
>>28086399
>Go to an archery store
This so much. It's easy to fuck up and buy the wrong shit if your ordering by yourself since i doubt you have a clue about draw length, arrow spine and such. Also any decent store may give you a quick lesson on how to shoot.
>>
>>28086226

Good stuff OP. Archery's good fun.

Well, archery sports. What do you want to do? Obviously there's bowhunting, but also target (stationary, relatively long distance on round targets), field (walking a course shooting at round targets at different elevations, can be marked or unmarked distance) and 3D (like field but with 3D game animal targets). There're a couple others too. It makes a bit of a difference - if you had no interest in hunting and just wanted to shoot target, your bow and gear looks nothing like a hunting bow for instance. If you want to hunt, what you want to hunt and where makes a difference too.

Tips before buying a first bow, going to an archery shop to get set up is a good one. Also, don't ever buy cheap. Always buy from a brand with a good reputation (e.g. PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, Bear, etc). If you commit to archery, you'll outstrip a shit cheap bow (like most asian-made ones) really quickly but a quality bow will keep working with you as you improve. I'd locate an archery club too - having an experienced shooter around to correct your form from time to time helps heaps and a club has the space to let you shoot 50 yards and beyond once you hit that point.

As for training, shoot daily. Don't over bow yourself to begin with (you probably want 40-50# in a modern compound). Bent over rows, pull ups and other back stuff could help. Research compound archery form and ideally shoot with someone who knows what they're doing.

But yeah, tell me what you want to do with archery and I can make this all a fair bit more specific.
>>
File: Cabelas screen cap.jpg (125 KB, 1805x799) Image search: [Google]
Cabelas screen cap.jpg
125 KB, 1805x799
>>28086226
After 25 years of not touching a bow, I got one this year to get in some more deer hunting time. After doing lots of research and talking to long time bowhunters, I bought the diamond infinite edge bow. You can usually pick them up for around $300 and at that price they are really stacked up.

Here's everything you need to know about it in 1 minute.

https://youtu.be/e3B6dAOWkVE

Carbon arrows are faster, but, save your money and get cheaper eastons. They will be ultra cheap when spring rolls around and stores are clearing out hunting gear to make way for fishing season.
>>
>>28090826
Like Easton aluminiums? Easton's always a quality arrow. There is something to be said for carbon as a beginner though. I've shot Gold Tip carbons since I started and they're not hugely expensive. There's no need to straighten them, which cuts down on gear a beginner needs, they're easier to get the spine right on and (with only my own anecdotal evidence, mind you) that they've got an edge in the durability stakes. If OP's shooting under 60#, isn't freakishly tall and doesn't pick up a monstrously fast bow, he should be right with something like a 400 spine carbon cut to draw length + half an inch with 125 grain points and blazers, if he wants to go the carbon option.
>>
>>28089302
Or old people. Old people like old timey things. Also, read up before you comment :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_bow#Technical_disadvantages
>>
>>28091434
Not the guy you're replying to, but that's probably worth summarising for the OP.

-Never shoot a bow (compound or trad) without an arrow in it. It's called dry-firing and it can make the bow explode.

-Only draw/shoot your compound with a release aid. You can derail the string drawing with your fingers, which is bad.

-If you don't have the knowledge or the tools, get any work you need done on your bow done in a pro shop.

Fair trade for all the benefits you get in my opinion. Trad is still fun though & looking to get into it a bit myself.
>>
>>28090826
;-; 620 dollarydoos
>>
>>28091748
Bows aren't cheap here mate. If over $600 is a bit steep, have a look into Martin and PSE. That said, there're some awesome bows at $600-$1000 (including a couple coming out for 2016 that look pretty good).
>>
>>28091817
$600 is steep due to lack of job and other costs atm.
But thanks mate, will look into martin and PSE.
>>
>>28091849
Yeah, don't go looking into archery if you don't have at least $300-400 to spend on a bow, arrows, quiver, tab/glove, and armguard. And that's just with low-end Recurves.
>>
>>28091849
If you want specifics at that price range, the two are the Martin Krypton and the PSE Stinger X. The Krypton gives you 40-70# of draw weight adjustment whereas the Stinger is a single cam with the usual 10# adjustment range. Speed is pretty much equal between the two (~310fps IBO), both are under 4 pounds mass weight, similar brace height, etc. You can find either for under $600 in Australia.
>>
>>28091907
>>28094186
Thanks for the recommendations!
>>
>>28086226
Don't listen to dips telling you not to get compound. If you are hunting, compound is the way to go. Recurve doesn't make you any more of a man.
>>
>>28094198
All good mate. Compound archery is great fun. Quick word of advice though - get a hunting permit before you hunt and don't shoot anything native with a bow. You might know that already, but I figure it doesn't hurt to try and keep new archers on the right side of the law and out of the media.
>>
>>28094389
Yeah I'm planning on getting a hunting permit when I get my firearms license.
I'm keen to get into archery and shooting.
Thanks for all of the advice mate.
>>
>>28086226
Alright man, I work as an archery technician and I can tell you a thing or two. First, go to an archery store (preferably a mom and pop kinda deal) and just ask around about bows and equipment. If you're looking for just a general purpose bow, I'd say either a Martin kryptonite, or a quest forge. Both have a decent draw and are made for with variable draw lengths, to the point where my 6'1" frame can still use my 5'4" finances forge. Mom and pop shops usually have dedicated staff that know what they're doing, and will/should always help you while staying within your budget. They want to make that sale, but they also want to make a loyal customer.
>>
>>28094853
Fiancé's**
>>
>>28090826
I nearly bought one a few years back, but after I saw how much plastic was on them, and discovering that in order to get the full range of adjustment you need a bow press I opted for the Bear Attitude instead. I love it
>>
>>28090739
I was thinking about hunting in a nearby forest(mid EU kind of forest). I guess hunting will not start until I will be able to shoot a target board, so I would appreciate some guidence. I have already watched some videos on YT about correct stance, types of bows etc.
>>
>>28091617
Also no wood arrows in a compound bow. They'll break and go into your forearm.
>>
>>28098274
And flex test carbon arrows if they have a hard hit, because when those break it's not pretty.
>>
Anything to know about draw weight?
Looking to get my first bow after sharing friend's for a while. Draw weight was 85lbs.
PSE a good choice for a left handed shooter who likes a heavier draw?
>>
>>28099834
For trad, start low, get your technique down, then build up.

Takedown recurves are really useful here, because on most brands you can buy a lower level model and get new limbs as it becomes easy.
>>
>>28099834
>85 lbs
Holy shit anon
>>
>>28088468
>>28086226
nothing, i tried getting into archery using a recurve as a starter bow like most people recommend.
i fucking hated it and didnt pick up a bow for years.
tried out a compound recently, bought one and play with it several times a month. if it wasnt for the ease of aiming and use of the compound bow i doubt i would even shoot arrows.

if youre a meathead youll probably love recurves though, its shooting by feeling/instinct which is kind of dumb and requires a massive amount of practice before youre able to kill an animal. ymmv however.
i was killshot ready in under 30 shots with my compound.
>>
>>28088344
This. The only choice for babby's first recurve.
>>
>>28088344
Keep hearing this.
>>
>>28100496
>>28101176
Martin also makes 8 different Take-downs (4 metal, 4 wood) now that all use the same limbs.
>>
>>28096295
So a hunting bow then. If your forest is the sort where you're unlikely to ever take a shot over 30m, I'd go with a 4-pin sight (or even a 5-pin if you like). If you're hunting out of a blind or a stand, you might want a short ATA bow (like 28-31"). If you're not, ATA length is sort of up to preference at short range - stability vs compactness (and often a bit of extra speed). You'd probably only want a front stabiliser - I'd recommend an 8" bee stinger or similar for a little more "pointability" and noise reduction.

Now, if you're in the EU, the large game you have access to is deer and boar right? For deer (fallow deer at least), a 60# bow with a 400-500 grain arrow (depending on IBO speed and draw length) will do the job. Boar I've never hunted with a bow and am cautious about doing so - if that's what you're after, I'd recommend either a fast 60# bow (340+ fps) or a heavier bow with an arrow that weighs at least 450 grains with a fixed blade. Could be talking out of my ass there though.

Set-up specifics will have a bit do with how much you want to spend on a bow/gear of course, and things like blazing speed generally cost a good bit more (obvious point). They could be expensive for a beginner, but I reckon you probably couldn't go too far wrong with a Hoyt Powermax, PSE Brute Force or Diamond Carbon Cure (You don't necessarily need to spend that much)

Youtube can be a great tool in learning form basics, but see if you can't get checked by an experienced archer when you shoot. Shoot a lot in practice too.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.