[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did dazzle camo actually help anything? It seems too weird to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8
Did dazzle camo actually help anything? It seems too weird to be actually useful.
>>
>>28086133

Talking out of my ass, but I'm thinking it was more to disguise the type and class of ship when seen at a distance rather than to help avoid detection.
>>
>>28086133
It made it more difficult to determine a target's range, speed, and heading, not providing concealment.
>>
>>28086133
As far as I know, yes. The idea is it breaks up your outline, makes you harder to see and target. They stopped using it once radar and spotter planes became a thing. Since it doesn't help with those.
>>
>>28086133
> entire armadas incapacitated due to migraines from looking at these
GENIUS
>>
>>28086133
It meant you had no idea what you were looking at, rather than making it harder to see. Also, it looked snazzy as hell.
>>
>>28086133
Yes. It wouldn't do much in modern day combat, but back in ww1 and to a certain extent ww2, you had to target with a periscope.

In ww2 the periscopes were generally good, but could be damaged extremely easily. In ww1 they were absolute ass and about as sturdy as an eggshell.

Trying to get target info on a dazzle ship with a bad periscope is unbelievably difficult. It's hard enough to tell which direction a ship is moving- much less its speed
>>
>>28086155
Not to mention all those gunners who got distracted looking for the magic eye puzzle.
>>
>>28086133
I'll be honest. Looking at that photo I cannot tell what type of ship I am looking at or what direction it's headed.

Is it pointing towards me?

Surely this could still be useful?
>>
guys

hey guys

guys listen

guys what if

what if we make boat

boat that goes under water?
>>
Merchant mariner here.

I can absolutely tell you that this sort of thing definitely helped. It wouldn't help nowadays with advanced radar and shit, but back then radar wasn't that advanced. To know the bearing and speed of a ship you had to look at it and figure it out yourself. These calculations are obviously very important when you're shooting at someone several miles away.

When you look at something like this through a pair of binoculars, it gets funny as shit. The dazzles make it very difficult to tell which way it is going (for instance, whether it is coming towards you or going away). And this obviously make it hard to get the speed as well.

I run into the same problem nowadays, actually. Lots of ships from third world shitholes have about 5 different colors on them because they've been poorly painted and rusted away time and time again. When you're looking at them sometimes it's hard to get a bearing, especially if it is dusk or dawn. But then you can just look at the radar and it's all good
>>
against modern radar/sonar targeting systems? no.

against WW1 Mk1 Eyeball targeting systems? Yes. Particularly things like false bow-wave patterns and even false bows or sterns with shadows that were able to effectively throw the aim enough to make the attackers uncertain of what direction the ship was facing made it at least worth a try.
>>
>>28086133
it very useful when large herds of battleships are being stalked by lions
>>
File: PT Dazzle.jpg (91 KB, 900x368) Image search: [Google]
PT Dazzle.jpg
91 KB, 900x368
incidentally, Dazzle has had a resurgence in recent years in motorsport and automotive development, where race teams and prototyping of new road cars have been using Dazzle to break up the details and stop rival teams or companies copying details.

Apparently, it also works to break up the face and beat facial-recognition software.
>>
File: zebra[1].jpg (12 KB, 539x212) Image search: [Google]
zebra[1].jpg
12 KB, 539x212
There also were camos with false bow waves painted on to fuck up speed estimation.

>>28086653
IIRC OP pic is the Gloire (La Galissonniere-class french ligh cruiser).
>>
>>28086143
Had nothing to do with detection, the dazzle was for confusing someone who is trying to calculate range and bearing. Keep in mind at this time it was all done via math and estimates, if you can't tell where the ship was going you will program the TBT, or other ranging device wrong and have a good chance on missing,

It worked extremely well, but due to the high maintenance of the paint job was not practical
>>
>>28086147
This, and it worked spectacularly. It still works great WVR when using the mk 1's in any kind of battle.
>>
File: dazzle_makeup1.jpg (38 KB, 520x422) Image search: [Google]
dazzle_makeup1.jpg
38 KB, 520x422
>>28087328
>Apparently, it also works to break up the face and beat facial-recognition software.

http://cvdazzle.com/
>>
File: daz.jpg (15 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
daz.jpg
15 KB, 212x238
>>28089553

Wear this to make everyone's eyes soar
>>
File: 1425987262618.gif (2 MB, 334x212) Image search: [Google]
1425987262618.gif
2 MB, 334x212
>>28089566
*sore.

I guess typos are a diamond dozen.
>>
File: 1405280215451.jpg (384 KB, 673x743) Image search: [Google]
1405280215451.jpg
384 KB, 673x743
>>
>>28086133
Keep in mind it was an era before high power optics, a uboat periscope looking at a vessel on the horizon would be unable to tell what kind of ship he was looking at, how far away it was.
The idea was never to HIDE the vessel, just make it harder to get specific info by looking at it through a 4 power optic from 15 miles away.
"Is that a cargo vessel , passenger ship, or a frigate equipped with dedicated submarine hunting weapons?"

Forced uboats to get closer to select a target, and forced them to be more cautious in their approach.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.