[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If space battleships ever become a thing, who will control them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1445306214278.jpg (47 KB, 634x434) Image search: [Google]
1445306214278.jpg
47 KB, 634x434
If space battleships ever become a thing, who will control them? The Navy or Air Force? In media, it's always a space navy, but the Air Force do all the space operations. What do you think?
>>
File: 1420603698983.jpg (738 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1420603698983.jpg
738 KB, 1920x1080
>>28083568
Navy and AF would have to merge. Exo-atmospheric combat vessels would render both obsolete.
>>
>>28083568

>We /startrek/ now.

New organization similar to Starfleet but ran similar to Navy (like starfleet). They'd probably have an attachment of muhreens aboard instead of THE BRIDGE crew and fucking random red shirts going on Away Missions.
>>
It would be an entirely new service. The Navy has an advantage due to actually living on ships for extended periods while AF crews rarely last longer than 48 hours.

The problem with the Navy is its gay-ass traditions. If Naval traditions become space traditions I hope aliens xenocide us.
>>
>>28084648

>navy traditions
>butt sex

It's a good tradition anon. I just prefer to do it to females.
>>
They'd basically be like living in nuclear submarines, except instead of being surrounded by high pressure water, you're surrounded by no pressure vacuum.

The general crew will probably be pulled from the navy - submariners in particular. The officers will probably come from the air force.

It'll be its own branch, but likely combine the culture of both the airforce and navy.
>>
>>28083568
we very well could make a new branch
>>
It'd probably be a new branch but it would slowly cannibalize the Navy.
I mean, once you get space warships...
a) you have also space colonies, and planet-scale wars become suddenly much less important, so a planet based navy isn't that hot
b) 90% of what the Navy does, sci fi space ships could do better. Why have a big carrier force on a single planet when you can run missions from orbit with interplanetary ships
>>
>>28084648
Of course it would probably become it's own service. But let's not regard that right now. I think it would probably grow out of an Air Force project and become a subset of the Air Force (similar to how Marines are Dept of the Navy) where the best of the best of allowable MOS's from any service can volunteer to be transferred, and the ships would be run similarly to a Navy, but probably with Air Force corporatism.
>>
>>28084704
Yeah, submariners would definitely be in high demand. And I agree on the culture merging.
>>
>>28084811
Well it's a shitload more expensive to design an aircraft to both be effective in atmosphere and also stand up to reentry and vacuum, as well as being extremely expensive to launch a craft down from orbit and get it back into orbit when it's done. Any government with a vested interest in maintaining air superiority would still need ground-based fighters. Although you are partially right in that planetside-based navies and air forces would probably shift more towards being a ceremonial defense force. Although they would probably still be quite effective in the event of a planetary invasion.
>>
>>28084811
We could build space warships today with nuclear pulse propulsion
>>
>weaponizing space to fight literally nothing

Space is going to be private sector, bros.
>>
>>28088217
Space battleships would not be built unless there was something that needed to be fought. The presence of a spaceborne threat is prerequisite for this hypothetical exercise, which we are engaging in purely for >fun
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.