[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magnifying rifle scope
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: magnifier.jpg (210 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
magnifier.jpg
210 KB, 1500x1000
If I mount a magnifier behind a traditional rifle scope, say a 10x leupold, what kind of results could I expect?

Would it effectively double the zoom?
Would the eye relief be better? Worse?
Would it essentially act in first-focal-plane fashion (by magnifying the crosshairs as well as the target)?

etc
>>
I don't think that's how it works.
>>
>>28082766
Well yeah, but what would I see?
An impossible-to-focus picture?
All black due to horrible eye relief? Or better eye relief since a pinhole of light is being magnified?
>>
seriously, nobody on /k/ owns both a magnifier and a rifle scope?
>>
>>28082760
I think there are issues with that simply because of how the light works flowing throught he optic, I know there are eye peices you can add to the rear of the scope to add 1 or 2 more levels of magnification to an optic, but it's like zooming in with a camera.
>>
File: goodenough.jpg (978 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
goodenough.jpg
978 KB, 1920x1080
>>28082760
Multiple magnified optics would be multiplicative, so a 3x + a 3x is 9x + a 3x is 27x.

Eye relief is based off of the eyebox/exit pupil provided by the optic in front of your eye.

Yes

Here is a 5x china magnifier behind a TA11 3.5x behind an Eotech.
>>
>>28083381
>Eye relief is based off of the eyebox/exit pupil provided by the optic in front of your eye.

If you have a high-magnification scope, the eyebox can get pretty small. So then, will a magnifier make the eyebox bigger, at the expense of making the whole picture dimmer?
>>
For sure you would see:
Significantly reduced light transmission
Amplified chromatic aberration, parallax and other optical corruption
Significantly reduced field of view
>>
Gonna try this with a vortex vmt-3t and the viper pst 6-24x50 that'll be here soon.

72x FFP scope, here I come!
>>
>>28083603
>Amplified ... parallax

Wouldn't this be a good thing if the scope has adjustable parallax? Then you can tune your scope to eliminate parallax which, without the magnifier, would have been hard to notice.

Essentially it would give you better precision in tuning out any parallax.
>>
File: March-X 8X-80X illuminated.jpg (39 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
March-X 8X-80X illuminated.jpg
39 KB, 1024x682
>>28083973
>72x FFP scope, here I come!
You know they actually make these things

http://marchscopes.com/tactical-8-80-x-56.html
>>
File: whywouldyoudothat.jpg (172 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
whywouldyoudothat.jpg
172 KB, 1000x1000
>>28084022
240x FFP scope, here I come!
>>
>>28084046
>one scope ring
>airshit rifle
>>
>>28084020
Your magnifier has parallax adjustment? Because if it don't, glhf.
>>
>>28084121
No, the magnifier would magnify the parallax from the rifle.

So you nod your head behind the scope, and the reticle moves a tiny bit over your target, too little to notice.

Then you slap down the magnifier, which amplifies this movement to the point where you can see it, and you turn the parallax knob on the scope a tiny bit more, until the reticle is rock solid over the target, even under magnification.
>>
>>28084046
>Reply
Airsoft... lol
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.