[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell Me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12
What so great about the Browning?

Not talking aesthetics for "steel frames are classy" type answers. What makes it have such a cult following? Is the trigger really that great? Why do people love them?
>>
>>28082367
I think they're ugly, pointy slide, roll pins in aesthetically unpleasing locations and cheap looking extractor.
>It's like a cheap CZ knock off.
>>
I've heard the trigger was shit compared to other SAO's.

It was just the first double stack 9 that got super popular.
>>
>>28082367
>Is the trigger really that great?
STOCK TRIGGERS SHIT BRO
THANK THE MAG DISCONNECT
>>
File: 1447479580637.jpg (46 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
1447479580637.jpg
46 KB, 473x500
Just like the 1911, I think it has a following because it's a classic. When it was made, it was a top of the line pistol. My favorite weapon in the world is the Luger pistol. Do I conceal carry one? Fuck no. Would I feel confident taking my shooter Luger into a real world scenario? Sure, but I'd rather take my Glock because better weapons have been made since 1898.
Anyone who wouldn't choose a CZ75 over the Browning HP is fooling themselves. Everything the browning HP does, it does better.
If you carry it, you like yours, great, It doesn't bother me none, shoot and carry what you like, but I am not going to trust my life to one thing, when there is something better out there. Cool factor goes right out the window when someone is shooting at you.
1911fags (it's ok, I own a 1911 and love shooting it at the range) are the worst at realizing this.
>>
>>28082367
>What makes it have such a cult following?
Because it set entirely new standards for reliability and robustness, and all pistols that followed have been measured by that standard. I've heard anecdotes of British Army Hi-Powers that fired a quarter of a million rounds before they started showing signs of metal-fatigue cracking in the slides.
250,000 rounds without a major failure? That's god-tier reliability.
>>
Out of the box the triggers suck

Basically you pull it and it's like what the fuck is the safety still on? Then all of a sudden it breaks

The lack of take-up and the very heavy wall I find very frustrating (still easy enough to shoot though) but as it happens HP's are easy to work with so for most people who care it isn't that big of a deal

If you like 1911's the triggers aren't the same at all

Can't think of any similar ones ATM to give you a comparison that you may have shot
>>
>>28082367
They are very comfortable guns to hold, and despite being heavy they are pretty small guns with a pretty decent magazine.
The only reason I own two is because of aesthetic reasons.
And to the people saying that the magazine disconnect is the reason the triggers are bad that is only partially true. Most Hi Powers Ive seen have pretty rough internals (even my Lux-grade) and overly complex trigger mechanism that is actuated through the slide. This means that there is always going to be some pretty noticeable pre-travel (which can easily be smoothed out) and a not-so-good reset. One of my HP's has had the mag disconnect removed and the internals polished and the other has just had the internals polished. Their trigger pulls are about the same (assuming I'm using a polished magazine), perhaps the one with the safety removed is slightly lighter of a break, but only noticeable with a trigger pull gage, but they both have the same amount of creep, the same smoothness in the creep and they both stage about the same. Certainly not target triggers, but they are fun range guns.
>>
So, if you wanted to buy a gun that someone could pull out of a closet in 50 years and it be like, "This was the cool gun that grandpa carried for years."

What gun would that be? Outside of revolvers, it seems like the 1911 or the High Power are the only real options?
>>
>what's so great about a model-t?
>what's so great about snow white and the seven dwarfs?
>what's so great about elvis?
>what's so great about pong?
>what's so great about a nokia 3210?
>what's so great about myspace?
>>
>>28082686
>in 50 years
The examples you gave are for right now. In 50 years that'll be a Glock.
>>
>>28082686
Cz75.
Sig 220/225/226/227/228/229/239/238/938.
>>
>>28082686
a legitimately worn and well used but taken care of glock

that way the kid knows his grandpa wasnt full of shit
>>
>>28082686
>Glock
>M&P
>CZ75/SP01/P01
>USP
>Sigs

literally anything not a nigger tier firearm and/or Rugay SR's and Kel Tecs
You are a retard
>>
>>28082686
S&W Model 39 and derivatives.
>>
>>28082718
Fucking P-01, I already have a CZ-75, I want the P-01, I don't want the decocker, I want the safety. Why does CZ do this? I love them but why? Do they make one with a manual safety?
>>
>>28082761
CZ75 SAO
>>
>>28082748
I don't like slide mounted safeties.

>>28082709
>>28082716
Fair enough I guess. Polymer guns are great they just don't seem particularly "heirloom".

Also, watching Hickok's video, in addition to the less than stellar trigger and mag safety, the Hi Power apparently has hammer bite issues similar to a military style 1911 and military style 1911, usually leave me with a little blood trickling down the back of my hand. So basically, the Hi Power is off my list.

Consider this picture but instead of a light saber what gun is it?
>worn Glock
I guess that's fine.
>>
>>28082822
CZ-75B is basically supposed to be the Hi Power with those issues fixed.
>>
File: australian_silky_oak_02.jpg (104 KB, 640x351) Image search: [Google]
australian_silky_oak_02.jpg
104 KB, 640x351
>>28082855
Definitely see your point.
>>
File: 30 kids.jpg (34 KB, 540x317) Image search: [Google]
30 kids.jpg
34 KB, 540x317
>>28082668
Thanks for the info btw.
>pic unrelated
>>
File: Muh PTR.jpg (25 KB, 844x475) Image search: [Google]
Muh PTR.jpg
25 KB, 844x475
buncha goddamn heretics in this fucking thread. I love the hi power because the summer I graduated dad and I found an old .50 cal ammo can full of old 9mm reloads he'd forgotten about. I shot the hi power till that can was empty and got to be a pretty good fucking shot with it. dad gave me the hi power this year and I honestly have no desire for any other 9mm besides maybe a Walther P1.
>pic related
>>
>>28082367
Accurate, tight tolerances and excellent machining, take wear well, reliable, plentiful ammunition, and in my case because thats what I grew up shooting and it feels natural to me.
>>
>>28082874
I don't recall the source, but supposedly browning himself called the hi power an unfinished design and he wasn't entirely happy with it.
I'm about to hit the sack. If this thread is here in 9 hours I'll try and find the source.
>>
>>28083540
browning never even saw a completed hipower and died before the first one was built
your source pulled that out of his ass
>>
>>28083578
>browning died before anyone made a hi power
>this means the plans were definitely, definitely finished
uh... his death before production actually sorta' supports what other anon was saying, even if the quote itself was apocryphal, FN Belgium kind of ran with it.
>>
>>28083578
Not him but clearly Browning did in fact consider it an unfinished design lol.
>>
File: well shit.jpg (51 KB, 575x364) Image search: [Google]
well shit.jpg
51 KB, 575x364
>>28083578
Lots of people have called the Hi Power the "1911 improved upon design" because Browning developed it after the 1911 and it has internals more like a modern pistol, regarding the locked breach without the 1911 barrel link in there. The funny part of this is that he dropped the grip safety from the design. The French are to blame for the mag safety so I won't hold that against him but yeah... Springfield and 1911 fags BTFO.
>>
File: tumblr_nvqhqnfszt1rh1v81o1_400.jpg (17 KB, 286x405) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvqhqnfszt1rh1v81o1_400.jpg
17 KB, 286x405
>>28082822

I have fat meaty hands and I've never gotten trigger bite.

Mag safety is easy to remove if you have the tools, otherwise its like 30 bucks at a smith.

If you want the High Power, get it, I love shooting mine.
>>
File: wwjmbd.gif (20 KB, 318x472) Image search: [Google]
wwjmbd.gif
20 KB, 318x472
Obligatory.
>>
Dont buy a mark 3 you will be upset.

Mark 2 owner here
>trigger is shit
>mags dont drop free
>remove mag disconnect in about 20 seconds
>trigger is slightly better
>drops free

Id rank it a 6/10 or 7/10 as far as im concerned. I wouldnt carry it and I sure as shit wouldnt pay full price for it. I got mine for $400 and thats about how much I would pay for it.
>>
File: 1399740642513.jpg (694 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1399740642513.jpg
694 KB, 1600x1200
Belgian waffle magic combined with the knowledge of John Moses Browning in a classy fedora tipping package.

What isn't great about that?
>>
Alton Brown has a Hi Power and a SCAR H.
>>
I wish any gun I owned could channel a seasoned veteran user from its proper era and nationality to give shooting lessons, tell war stories, and pal around with.
That way I would have friends to go shooting with.
>hang out with doc holliday and my colt dragoon drinking whisky and talkin about bitches
>get a waffen SS guys side of the story first person with 8mm mauser
>listen to a prussian count talk about the trenches of WW1 while we drink bourbon and I clean my mauser broomhandle.
>learn gritty detective methods from a pinkerton detective while I plink with my .25 auto
>have my vodka get stolen from the soviet corporal who pops out of my AK-47
>flirt with an 1800's prostitute that lives in my .32 derringer

Would be so cool.
>>
>>28084100
Dammit. Wrong thread.
>>
File: hipower.png (190 KB, 1405x2219) Image search: [Google]
hipower.png
190 KB, 1405x2219
>>28082367
>why do people love the FAL of the handgun world?

It has proven itself reliable, the training is there, the parts availability is there, and mec-gar makes flush 15rd mags for it.
Only reason you don't see more of them is that the military was set on 45 until the 80s hit.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.