[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying Guns in Other States
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Gone South With the Blastwave.jpg (43 KB, 458x582) Image search: [Google]
Gone South With the Blastwave.jpg
43 KB, 458x582
About the recent shooting. I am hearing arguments against the notion that "look, gun control doesn't stop these criminals, CA has the toughest gun control in the country and the criminals just disobeyed the law; more gun control will only hurt law-abiding citizens." The argument against this is "they could just go to another state and buy a gun there, and bring it back to CA."

I know gun laws vary state by state, but is this illegal? What sort of requirements are there on buying a gun out of state and bringing it back across the border with you?
>>
>>28079680
Here in VT you need a picture ID with your home address on it, you can't buy if you're from out of state. You'd need to have it shipped to an FFL in your home state.

Mike Bloomberg still insists there's a thriving arms trade between VT and NY because fuck reality.
>>
>>28079770
>You'd need to have it shipped to an FFL in your home state.
So that means that any regulations from your home state would apply? California forbids you from having more than 10-round magazines, for instance.
>>
>>28080071
Yup. You might be able to convince an FFL in another state to ship a restricted gun to yours, but once your local FFL gets it they wont release it to you.

Most gun shops simply have a blanket "We don't ship to commie states" policy to avoid this.
>>
>>28079680
INSHALLAH!!!!
>>
>>28079680
I thought the argument was 'stricter gun control makes it harder to get your hands on certain classes of gun, even if it's not impossible'.
>>
>>28080818
That's just a true statement, not really an argument. Either stricter gun control makes it harder to get certain guns or accessories, or it is ineffectual and does nothing. The problem with that is that 99.9% of the time it punishes law-abiding gun owners rather than any potential criminal.
>>
This is true with pistols.

With long arms ypu can buy them out of state. But most ffl will not sell to you as an out of state
>>
File: tumblr_mqfmtkVjM71qbwkxoo1_500.gif (958 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqfmtkVjM71qbwkxoo1_500.gif
958 KB, 500x269
>>28079680
i bought a gun with an out of state license before.

from what i understand having a CA id still bans you from buying certain guns, regardless of location. but that would be only at FFL.

gun shows or private sales, its the discretion of the seller
>>
>>28080845
Well, the argument is that laws can be helpful even if they are sometimes broken. The bomber will always get through, but perhaps it's thanks to gun control that some bombers are stopped.

>The problem with that is that 99.9% of the time it punishes law-abiding gun owners
Of course. All forms of control restrict the rights of the law-abiding, the question is how that right interacts with the welfare of the public at large. Complicated question that boils down to values for the most part.
>>
>>28079680
Here in Nevada (read: california scape goat)
Rifles can be sold to people out of state
Handguns have to be shipped to a ffl in the other person's home state
>>
>>28079680
I suppose you can just buy it from someone who can buy from another state. And they can just report it as stolen.
>>
I didn't read any of these posts or the OP

I just wanted to say that I wear the Legion Veteran helmet every time I play FNV, with either riot armor or the bounty hunters duster so I can pretend I'm playing Gone With The Blast Wave

How are you gents this evening
>>
>>28079680
>I know gun laws vary state by state, but is this illegal? What sort of requirements are there on buying a gun out of state and bringing it back across the border with you?

The Gun Control Act of 1968 banned interstate sale of firearms and created the existing FFL system, by which we currently obtain firearms across state lines.

If you buy something from another state, and FFL in each state has to send and receive the firearm, and you have to perform whatever checks your state requires for your local FFL on the receiving end. This has been the law for nearly a half a century, and the fucking law is even called the GUN CONTROL ACT.
>>
>>28080071
>California forbids you from having more than 10-round magazines, for instance.

That's accessories, not guns. Totally different thing. I suspect you could go to a free state and buy accessories all day long without anybody batting an eye. Then you load them into your trunk and go home. It's a time-honored American tradition. How do you think NASCAR got started?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.