[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the silliest gun-related purchase you ever made,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14
File: Gun Koozie.jpg (141 KB, 880x660) Image search: [Google]
Gun Koozie.jpg
141 KB, 880x660
What's the silliest gun-related purchase you ever made, /k/? Mine was impulse buying one of these mall ninja-tier shell carriers for my 870 because it was on sale at Dick's.
>>
A gun. I didn't even need one.
>>
File: untitled-1.png (1 MB, 1276x850) Image search: [Google]
untitled-1.png
1 MB, 1276x850
I drunk purchased a broken 19th century, 13 gauge Belgian percussion pistol.
>>
>>28076992
Impressive. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? Is it just a display piece or was it repairable?
>>
>>28076992
restore that shit, be the coolest guy at the range.
>>
File: SKS pistol.jpg (78 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SKS pistol.jpg
78 KB, 800x600
>>28076936
whats wrong with that

mines buying a yugo sks with a non matching bolt assembly and spending a ton on ammo for it before even testing it
>>
>>28077037
I'm a skeet shooter, so it was entirely unnecessary, I just thought it looked neat. It's not even one of the high quality ones, just a loop of elastic with more loops of elastic on it.
>>
>>28076949
This. Now I have something that cost a fotrune, is expensive to operate, and only depreciates. In reality where I live and how I live I'll never have the need to use or carry it. I've also stopped carrying after realizing this.
>>
>>28076992
Bump on >>28077007 question. Regardless that's really fucking cool if it didn't force you to take out a second mortgage. That'd be something to show your grandchildren, say you fought the British with it to test their knowledge.
>>
>>28076949
>>28077074
I'm not gonna say "Hurr but muh 2nd ammundmunt" but is there really a downside to having that extra layer of protection in your own home?

I mean, if you don't enjoy shooting as a recreation I can understand that point, I just don't know why a fellow member of the working class would want to be unarmed.
>>
>>28076936
Did that, its a piece of cheap shit
>>
>>28077095
This, I've always thought of home defense firearms as a very "rather have it and not need it" type of item.
>>
File: 2015-12-03 15.08.13.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-03 15.08.13.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>28077007
About $200 after shipping.
I think the seller meant to set a reserve, but forgot; the description on gunbroker said the auction was starting at $800.

>>28077011
>>28077076
The firing mechanism is broken, but should be repairable. It half-cocks just fine, but slips when trying to fully cock the hammer. I assume some of the internals are just rounded off from use.
I fully intend to fix it up soon.
>>
File: 1439496269384.jpg (73 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1439496269384.jpg
73 KB, 480x640
>>28077061
yeah probably useless for that. i have one and it moves easily while retrieving ammo
still nice to have it right there
>>
>>28077074
>only depreciates
Guns hold their value pretty well, especially if they're antique, out of production, or high quality/more expensive in general. If we're talking something that you could sell at a fancy-ass auction, that's legitimate investment territory.
>>
>>28077095
>>28077133
Don't stats show that people with guns in their homes are more likely to get shot in robberies?

I'd probably want a gun only for a truly shit-hits-the-fan type apocalyptic scenario, if cost was of no real concern. For home defense, the risk of shooting a family member is too great. I wouldn't be too surprised if a gunman turned out to be more likely to shoot you if you had a gun, because he'd know you might shoot first.
>>
>>28077239
I mean, if you suddenly decide that you're Rambo and enter an unnecessary gunfight you have a good chance of getting shot, but if there's a robber in your house and there's no safe way to hold out for law enforcement there's not really a better option.
>>
>>28077239
>shot in robberies
No. You're misinterpreting the study, or it's being presented to you incorrectly. I don't even know what study you're looking at, but most studies of that type like to roll gun suicides and being killed by a family member, friend, or significant other with access to your gun all together and go "here, gun violence, see? guns are bad" when you could just as easily throw yourself off a bridge or your girlfriend could stab you in your sleep,
>>
>>28077275
>if there's a robber in your house and there's no safe way to hold out for law enforcement there's not really a better option.
I don't buy this narrative. How many people who break into homes will shoot you dead on sight? I don't have a magic ball, but my assumption is that these people want your shit, not your life. I don't think that's an unfair assumption. And if they are armed, seeing me with my gun might make them more likely to use their gun. I could be wrong on that, but that's how I'd react if I was an armed robber.

Sometimes the safer course of action is probably to be robbed at gunpoint than risk a shootout in your home. My entire self worth as a man doesn't break down because of that shit.

Not really interested in going all out in debating, and I fully acknowledge all my gut feelings could be wrong, but there it is.

>>28077282
Never got the "but you can die from stabbing" argument to be honest. I might able to outrun a stabber. I can't very well outrun a bullet. I'm not about to bring my fists to a knife fight. I'll run the fuck away, and I consider my chances better if the attacker isn't armed.

But in regards to your core point, sure, the stats might be skewed. Both sides of the issue jerks off endlessly to stats to fit their narrative, and it's tediously disingenuous.
>>
>>28077326
Of course, it's entirely up to you whether or not you want a firearm for home defense, I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. My main personal concern with assuming a home invader is non-violent and only interested in valuables is that a robber who is interested in avoiding conflict wouldn't be breaking in while the owner is home. Somebody who breaks in to an occupied house is either dangerously mentally unsound, incredibly stupid, or otherwise fully prepared to use violent force against the house's occupants.
>>
>>28077095
Thats the thing I live in Harbour Island which is safe and don't even feel the the need to lock our doors at night.
>>28077230 for what you're mentioning then those would be more collector items or relics which wouldn't be practical to use in a defensive situation should the need arise.
I feel that I'm losing interest in the shooting sports and wanting to spend more time elsewhere.
>>
>>28076936
Me too. It slid off my Saiga 12 after 5 shots.
>>
>>28077396
>a robber who is interested in avoiding conflict wouldn't be breaking in while the owner is home.
I don't buy it. It could be a mistake. He could be thinking you'd stay asleep while he took your shit. Besides, I sincerely, sincerely doubt that the chances of a person going into your home to kill you is absolutely ridiculously small.

>Somebody who breaks in to an occupied house is either dangerously mentally unsound, incredibly stupid, or otherwise fully prepared to use violent force against the house's occupants.
I don't think you have to be all that stupid or insane to be desperate enough to want to rob a house while there might still be people in it. Drug users aren't necessarily on a hair trigger to kill people. They're out for you shit.

Most robbers flee the moment they find out people are in the house. Too bad it's probably impossible to find good stats on this shit.
>>
>>28076936
I bought an 1897 for $80.25 just to make the shortest non nfa shougun I could.
>>
>>28077426
>Besides, I sincerely, sincerely doubt that the chances of a person going into your home to kill you is NOT* absolutely ridiculously small.
Sentence is a bit fucked anyway. Not really too invested here.
>>
>>28077426
You're an idiot, you are thinking too highly of criminals are scum. I had some deadbeat break into my truck and when i confronted him empty handed, he pulled out a knife and lunged at me. He couldve ran, easily, but instead he chose to attack. Criminals aren't fucking level headed people. There's been many cases where burglars open fire FIRST on residence inside the home.
>>
>>28077426
Yeah, most of my opinions aren't really based on hard statistics, just on hearsay. It's so hard to find a study that doesn't rope suicide stats into it and wasn't backed by political groups like the fucking NRA or Brady Campaign.
>>
>>28077461
>There's been many cases where burglars open fire FIRST on residence inside the home.
I'm sure there's been just as many or more cases where the burglar ran for it the moment he found out he wasn't alone.
And again, the risk of accidentally shooting a family member fixing a late night sandwich or whatever seems too high. I'd only want a gun for the apocalypse, perhaps as a hobby. Seems risky for home defense.

If you have solid stats to prove me wrong, I'll all eyes.
>>
>>28077461
Hey man, no need to get personal about it. It's up to anon whether or not they want a home defense gun.
>>
>>28077485
If you would accidentally shoot a family member than you should not own guns. You have your opinion i have mine. Guns are great HD weapons. You disagree, i respect that.
>>
>>28077503
See
>>28077505
>>
File: SHT-269.jpg (17 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
SHT-269.jpg
17 KB, 550x550
An el cheapo tacticfag adjustable stock for an 870, pic related
>>
>>28077461
I know this (they aren't rational), but I need some help
My did thinks that yelling at a burglar while holding his sxs and yelling he's got a fucking gun will scare them away and I've tried to convince him that if they saw him that they would shoot at / attack him
What other points and sources should I send his way so that he doesn't do something stupid like I just stated.
>>
>>28077479
I suppose it's unavoidable, with such a contentious issue. Pro-gun people don't like admitting that alllllll the mass shootings are a price they're willing to pay for their freedom, and anti-gun people don't like admitting that the only REAL measure would be to fucking ban everything and way for shit to break after 50 years. There's nothing you can do against this shit in the USA. There are too many guns, and nothing short of a nation-wide ban will cease the endless flow of guns.

All the "more gun control" shit doesn't seem like it'll do anything. If handguns are still legal, gun deaths will be staggering. Maybe that's worth it to some.
The answer pretty clearly isn't for everyone to be armed either. Imagine that shit. Bad guys don't have red letters above their heads. I wouldn't be surprised if it'd turn into a right shitshow if every John Wayne pulled out his piece and started shooting in the event of a mass shooter.

>>28077505
I'm not saying that in the hands of a skilled and drilled person, a gun isn't good for HD. I just think that for the average person, it might not be as good as they think. I could be completely wrong.
>>
>>28077239
>stats show if you have a ladder at home you are more likely to fall off it than if you don't have a ladder
>>
>>28077529
He lives in the boonies so holding out for the cops is not happening
>>
>>28077533
Ah, the false comparisons begin. I said in robberies. As in, if you pull out your gun in a home defense situation, you're more likely to die than if you had not.
And I have to repeat: I could be wrong here. If you have stats showing I'm wrong, go ahead.
>>
>>28077528
Nice, how'd that work out? Seems like installation would get more aggravating as the furniture gets cheaper.
>>
>>28077529
You can't do much about it tb.h pham. I tried convincing my brother to use bigger ammo other than birdshot in his Mossberg, but he doesn't listen, he talks about over penetration, recoil, and killing the bruglar. I've even bought him boxes of low recoil 00buck but he won't budge. Just try to convince him that if you have your sights on a bad guy, and he hasn't seen you first, and you've CONFIRMED hes an intruder than open fire. If he insists in yelling make sure he does NOT drop his sights off the target, and that he is prepared to engage.
>>
>>28077485
If you can't tell the difference between a family member and a robber, turn on the fucking lights. You're not supposed to shoot at anything that moves; you are however supposed to kill the shit out of anyone who breaks into your house.

I mean, what the fuck are you? So rich or so poor it doesn't matter? On drugs? A bleeding heart liberal/woman/scientologist? Not a believer in the concept of punishment?

No matter how desperate someone is; if they're breaking into my home without asking my permission, they're not worth shit.
>>
>>28077529
Why would a burglar out for your shit want to risk his life in such a situation? I suppose some would lie in wait and indeed kill you, but my gut feeling is that most would slink off rather than risk death for a flat screen and some cash.
>>
>>28077569
>you are however supposed to kill the shit out of anyone who breaks into your house.
Nah.

> Not a believer in the concept of punishment?
Are you implying that breaking into my house is a capital punishment? That because I don't want to execute a burglar that I'm somehow against punishment? Please.

So if you neutralised a burglar and he was no threat to you, you'd have no qualms splattering his brains all over your floor? If saying yes to that question makes you feel like a man, I feel pretty sorry for you.
>>
Formal request to /thread the home defense debate for now, shit gets old fast.
>>
>>28077592
>So if you neutralised a burglar and he was no threat to you, you'd have no qualms splattering his brains all over your floor? If saying yes to that question makes you feel like a man, I feel pretty sorry for you.

Nice strawman.

>>28077595
Alright. See y'all.
>>
>>28077570
Once again you're giving criminals the benefit of thr doubt. There's been people killed over losing a fucking game man. Sone people are just NOT rational. You cannot underestimate their intentions. If they are in your home without permission their intentions are ALREADY BAD. Stop thinking criminals are level headed people, this is coming from someone that has been around them all my life.
>>
>>28077184
Sweet deal. Have you taken it apart yet to have a look at the insides?

The wood looks pretty beat up, but I don't see any signs of serious corrosion on the outside, so you're probably right about the internals just being rounded from use.
>>
>>28077604
>Nice strawman.
>if they're breaking into my home without asking my permission, they're not worth shit.

>>28077611
>you're giving criminals the benefit of thr doubt.
eh, I'm gauging human reaction. I believe that there are more situations where not having a gun would be beneficial, even if you can mention thousands and thousands of cases where a gun saved someone. I could be wrong, of course.

>If they are in your home without permission their intentions are ALREADY BAD
But not necessarily murderous, and if I have a gun they might suddenly want to kill me before I kill them, whereas if I had been unarmed they might be content with stealing my shit.

>Stop thinking criminals are level headed people
Stop thinking criminals all behave the same. At no point have I assumed they're all level headed people. I'm just saying that I think there are fewer HD situations where a gun helps than vice versa. Could be wrong.
>>
>>28077239

>>28077095 here. I won't pretend to have a true answer for you, but my response would be are you really going to trust a someone who's broken into your home to not hurt you or your family?

You're a good parent/family member for considering the danger of harming your own though, some don't even think of that. My advice would be to weigh what you believe is the higher risk. If you decide to own a firearm, educate your family about it and become comfortable with it. You will never shoot a family member if you identify the target first.
>>
>>28077405
Ha, I live in Detroit, so I guess our perspectives are different. I'd still lock your doors though, no matter where you go there will always be mischievous children.
>>
>>28077649
>are you really going to trust a someone who's broken into your home to not hurt you or your family?
Then let me reply with my own worthless and loaded question: Do you really trust a burglar to not want to shoot you first in a stand off, rather than just stealing your shit?

Personally, I'd probably get a gun and work like fuck to make sure I know what I'm doing, but I commit the hubris of thinking I'm a special snowflake who'd handle such a situation better, more rationally and calmly than everyone else, just like everyone else does.
Ultimately, for people out there, I don't think having a gun for HD is a good idea, even if that'll cost some lives, because I think arming everyone would cost even more.
>>
>>28077561
Ok, the other thing is that he has 3 other guns better fit for hd being an m1 carbine, a .380 makarov, and a win 1200 he has 00 buck for that
I'll tell him that the gun should be pointed at the perpetrator if he stays that way
>>
>>28077690
We both live in maine so he has tell the shit stain who broke in to gtfo
http://legislature.maine.gov/statutes/17-A/title17-Asec104.html
>>
>>28077239

Sources?
>>
>>28077631
Not yet, I've been pretty busy lately restoring my late-grandfather's SMLE. Realistically I likely won't get to it until the new year.

The wood has a few cosmetic surface-cracks, but appears structurally sound. The head of screw used to take off the percussion lock is almost entirely stripped as well, which is probably partly why nobody has gone through the effort of fixing it.
>>
>>28077551
I didn't read your post past the first few words. It's the same bullshit rehashed.

>people not practiced with a dangerous item are more likely to be hurt

Being robbed is a high stress situation, people don't deal with that day to day. Of course they are likely to hurt them selfs ifthey didn't train and practice with their firearm.

Let people decide if they want to take the risk themselfs stop being a nanny and feeling you need to decide what people.are allowed to do it not.
Millllllioons die each year from smoking and that's legal everywhere. No licence no health check.
>>
>>28077754
I've never shot any really old black powder stuff, how hard is it to find the caps and ammo for it? What would something like that even fire, like a musket ball style projectile?
>>
>>28077532

What people don't realize is that gun control legislation wouldn't work, but what would is disincentivizing crime committed with a firearm by drastically upping mandatory sentencing.
Sure, attacks by other means would rise to compensate, but it wouldn't be 1:1. That way good ol joe average can keep whatever he wants and only the criminal gets fucked.
>>
>>28077485
>the risk of accidentally shooting a family member fixing a late night sandwich

I've never understood this. By law I have to yell out LOUDLY
"stop, I have a gun, police have been called" before I can legally defend myself.

Everyone in my house knows that this is last thing before the gun goes off, and will answer accordingly. Even if they didn't I'd be making sure to verify target in the weapon light before pulling the trigger.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, if my wife puts on a balaclava and heavy coat I don't recognize, breaks into her own house at night, decides to not answer me, then decides to attack me, then yeah I could "accidentally" shoot a family member I guess in hypothetical land of bullshit made up scenarios.
>>
>>28077815
I'm not quite sure. The wall thickness, and being perfectly 13ga leads to believe it was intended for using shot. I have a .54 flintlock rifle, and the walls are much thicker in that.
I figure I'll start with cut-down 12ga fiber wads and small shot with light powder loads. Try and get a feel of it. I imagine it could fire a slug or roundball, but I wouldn't use anymore than a small powder load.
>>
>>28077207
where can I buy a loli like that
>>
File: 1436328662641.jpg (1003 KB, 3925x2622) Image search: [Google]
1436328662641.jpg
1003 KB, 3925x2622
>>28077959
Ukraine?
Middle east?
>>
>>28077074
>only depreciates
So, you don't own a vehicle I'm guessing
>>
I buy all the stupid "deal" or "$2 only" shit on midway, CTD, etc. Idk why, I don't really like it most of the time, I just feel like I'm investing in something...
>>
>>28077326

LET THE WORLD KNOW THAT THIS IS THE GUY TO ROB
>>
Come on guys. I stopped it with the HD debate when prompted to, can't you all just let this thread be, too?

Otherwise I'm gonna join back in, too.
>>
I bought a 25-round Ram-line 10/22 magazine, used, for $40 during the dark times of the AWB. That's more stupid than silly, but, still.

>Still have it, too, as a reminder never to be so dumb again.
>>
I bought a ring of fire pistol once from a drug dealer while working at a dollar store in my youth.
>>
listen you fools, most home invasions happen during the day when youre at work or not home, sleeping with a gun under your pillow isnt going to help much but having a gun in the house in a quickly accesible safe is still a good option in case the robbers think youre not home when you or your wife are there.
>>
>>28078412
>listen you fools
Fuck you too!
>>
>>28076936
Always Mesa Tactical man. Always aluminium.
>>
File: 1437986559044.jpg (637 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1437986559044.jpg
637 KB, 1536x2048
>>28078481
how exactly do those stay in place? is it just really tight or what
>>
>>28077326
Common sense isn't a narrative. The problematic narrative here is whatever leftist trash made you doubt common sense.
>>
>>28076936
>tfw when I am getting one of these and it is in the mail already

I will actually use it and i usually only ever shoot outdoors so fuck what other people think. Still it is disconcerting to hear that it was not entirely useful.
>>
>>28078544
Surgical tubing on the inside rubs against the shell.
>>
File: The future is now.jpg (128 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
The future is now.jpg
128 KB, 960x720
>>28079323
neat. but that still seems like a rather primitive system
>>
>>28079182

Mine doesn't slide too much and I use it while bird hunting to keep a few slugs handy.

Not essential, good to have.
>>
>>28079447
So does projectile weaponry.
>>
>>28076936
An Ar it was boring to shoot
>>
File: 1447727704996.jpg (32 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1447727704996.jpg
32 KB, 400x300
>>28080959
>bird hunting
>slugs

wut
>>
>bought one of those on an impulse for my guide gun
Suggestions on a good leather one?
>>
File: DSC_7936.jpg (172 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7936.jpg
172 KB, 1024x683
Bought the smallest gun I could find. Because.
>>
>>28081882

Ostriches are mean as hell man.
>>
>>28076936
Lmfao I have the same one on my super nova anon
>>
>>28081882
What kind of birds do YOU hunt, casual?
>>
File: 20151202_215752.jpg (808 KB, 2304x1296) Image search: [Google]
20151202_215752.jpg
808 KB, 2304x1296
>>28076936
Really op? Fuck you i feel mallninja with one.
>>
>>28077037
Barely even a chamber lol
>>
>>28081882

Try living in my neighborhood. 6 foot birds walking around asking, "Ayy, ayy yo lemme holla at you. Y'all tell me how to get to Sesame Street?"
>>
>>28077687
>Ultimately, for people out there, I don't think having a gun for HD is a good idea, even if that'll cost some lives, because I think arming everyone would cost even more.

Not that guy, but I find some measure of comfort in knowing that there'll be no shortage of folks from commonwealth nations who genuinely believe this. Else, I'd be convinced I stepped into some strange and unfamiliar alternate reality.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.