[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Renaissance General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
I've been playing too much EU4 and Empire:TW any movies that do a decent portrayal of combat during this era? I watched Day of the Siege but that was pretty cheesy.
First hand literature would be rad too.
>>
Might wanna go to >>/his/ friend
>>
1612 is good. If you don't mind anti-Polish propaganda.
>>
>>28072504
Alatriste
>>
File: 1446809087373.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
1446809087373.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>
>>28074328
God damn, is that really how they fought?
>>
>>28074328
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26C758K4Fc0
>>
>>28074336
Yes. I'm actually very surprised that a modern production tried this hard to replicate it.
>>
>>28074746
The idea of just walking into a wall of spears (Pikes?) like that and jabbing away and hope to god one doesn't hit you is fucking terrifying.
>>
>>28074893
There were counters to that. Two Handed Swords were sometimes used to cut through formations. The spanish tercio was a Level up to pikes. You had guys poking at each other and some guys with early rifles fired behind the pikes.
>>
>>28074893
Pike and shot, while effective, was fucking brutal and horrible.
>>
>>28074893
Now you know why the first few lines of men were paid far more than the rest.

>>28074951
Is correct, thogh the main way or preaking a spear formation was lighter infantry (i.e. not holding fuckhueg spears) harassing the flanks and forcing a route or break in the line.
>>
>>28075009
>>28075000
>>28074951

Thanks guys. Any good reading material on this? I'm super interested now.

Why didn't they just have more swordsmen trained to duck underneath and go through the pikes?
>>
>>28074336
>>28074746
>>28074893

It should be pointed out that the fights were not always all that intense, as one side or the other often didn't feel like fighting and would either not attack very vigorously, or fell back when approached...funnily, sometimes BOTH sides didn't feel like fighting and would stand around, facing each other awkwardly while jabbing their pikes ineffectively at one another.

However when both sides were willing to engage, then things got brutal fast.
>>
>>28075062
Was it like this with other units too? Or just those balsy ass pikemen?
>>
File: halberd.jpg (201 KB, 1586x694) Image search: [Google]
halberd.jpg
201 KB, 1586x694
>>28075032
Check out schola gladitoria on youtube, he's a hema instructor that has some great spear videos and just general ancient combat.

As for ducking the pikes, you've got a lot of guys standing there with pointy sticks. Someone will probably just angle their spear downwards and impale you.

What you really want is another polearm that has the ability to force your opponent to move. The Halberd was really fucking good at this. a hook on one end, an axe on the other, and a spear point to top it all off.

A common technique was to usze the hook to grab the ankle of your opponent, and pull it towards you causing him to trip. At which point you just flip the thing around and put the axe in his chest.
>>
>>28075094
Well, keep in mind that the vast majority of armed combatants were armed with a spear.

Why? because it's really damn cheap and easy to use. See that guy in front of you? Stick him with the pointy end.

So, quite a bit of combat did involve formed units with spears. Though single combat did happen, it was less common.
>>
File: Ashigaru_Inf_Yari_Ashigaru.jpg (6 KB, 128x236) Image search: [Google]
Ashigaru_Inf_Yari_Ashigaru.jpg
6 KB, 128x236
>>28074328
The very (true) story about Total war: Shogun 2.
Spear-spear-spear-spear-spear
>>
>>28075095

Jesus dat ass
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.