[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starship Troopers (Book only)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (484 KB, 1236x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
484 KB, 1236x2208
Mobile Infantry. How do you imagine their weapons and guns? Armor? Discuss.
>>
>>28068360
as compared to static infantry ?
>>
>>28068360
Heinlein was pretty specific in his descriptions, what more do you want?
>>
>>28068371
kek
>>
>>28068371
It's like you haven't read it.

But they wear powered armor, I imagine them looking like Starcraft's Terran Marines to be able to carry mini nukes and shit.
>>
>>28068382
Not really imo. He described their functions well, but he said pretty much jack shit about the physical appearance other then the fact that they. "Look like steel gorillas" and could buttfuck tanks.
>>
File: Armor by John Steakley.jpg (1 MB, 1891x1419) Image search: [Google]
Armor by John Steakley.jpg
1 MB, 1891x1419
>>28068360
Try reading this book, they are similar, but I liked Armor much better
>>
>>28068585
That tag line sounds grammatically incorrect
>>
>>28068402
>too autistic to comprehend funnies
>>
File: omwvc.jpg (112 KB, 406x600) Image search: [Google]
omwvc.jpg
112 KB, 406x600
>>28068585
>>28068360

You guys might like this too.
>>
>>28068585
Armor was, IMO, marysue power fantasy shit.
>Muh graceful beautiful combat style that literally leaves people in tears,
>Muh engine, the contrived reason why anyone can wear the power armor, but only the protag can do it well
>Muh lone wolf protag that's so misunderstood, but always right in the end and the only one who can save us
The world building was nice, but any time characters interacted it felt like fanfiction.net-tier wank.
>>
>>28068716
>The world building was nice, but any time characters interacted it felt like fanfiction.net-tier wank.
That describes most genre fiction desu.
>>
>>28068688
That book is awesome. The sequels were enjoyable also.
>>
It was a great book and I won't demean it by saying for its time. It still stands up well. But the Altered Carbon or Mirrored Heavens series are better depictions of future conflict. The classical-liberal dream and the humanism it partnered are almost finished dying.
>>
>>28068688
I read it. It was fucking awesome.
>>
>>28068688

I read this because I heard it was a lot like Starship Troopers and The Forever War, both of which I love. While I thought the concept was cool, Scalzi cant write dialogue worth a damn, and it took me right out of the story. I couldn't empathize with a single character.

I did like the scene depicted on that cover though.
>>
>>28068775
I hope you're not suggesting Starship Troopers is classically liberal.
>>
Heinlein's mobile infantry are like Assault Space Marines. Except they don't carry melee weapons, instead they carry a nuclear bazooka, a 7.62nato machine gun as their standard service rifle, and a flame thrower for cqc.

They jump for hundreds of meters, Constantly moving. Each cap troop will cover an area several kilometers in radius around him. Standing with in a kilometer of each other is considered "shoulder to shoulder".

There are specialized suits. Commanders and scouts get extra jump jet power. Commanders get extra comms.

Suits have "peepers", goggles that enhance vision. Most controls are done by chin, mouth, tounge, or verbal.

Suits can skate on dry ground. Massive strength amplification.

Drop pods are multi layerd. Some layers function as Chaff and flares as they break off.
>>
>>28069060
one of the things the book rarely mentions but heavily implied that communications and networked units will play a significant part in tactical and strategic deployment.

Whereas the Mobile Infantry has fancy suits and weapons, the networked data links and tactical communications networks allows them to smash, burn and redeploy to next objective tossed at them.
>>
>>28069048
Yes, I am. It's about equal opportunity, meritocracy, and other basic classical-liberal memes.

Calling it 'fascist' is silly IMO (fascism was a historically situated adaptation to externalities, balanced against the limits of tribalism), but fascism isn't distinct from liberalism anyway - it's democracy sped up and without Marx's universalism.
>>
File: exogene.jpg (781 KB, 1586x2500) Image search: [Google]
exogene.jpg
781 KB, 1586x2500
power armor gets introduced towards the end of the first book in the subterranean wars series by the Russians
it's a momentary game changer since standard infantry rifles and machine guns can't disable it
besides adding even more speed, strength, and defense to the GMO soldier inside, its serves as a weapon platform for launching missiles and mortars
they become mitigated though when the US starts issuing every 4th man or so ATMs

in the second book China takes it a step further by deploying cyborgs
note that they're not humans with robot parts, but robots with humanoid organisms inside
they petri dish a human with basically no limbs, teeth, lungs, digestive system, or eyes
video feeds are wired directly into the brain from the eye sockets, same for hearing, and a feeding/air tube is down the throat
standard neural connectors down the spine for machine operation
although "human" they don't behave like them and formations move more like flocks of birds than marines on the bounce
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.