[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/iddos, Thinking of picking up a ruger sr9 / sr9c as a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 724662_L1.jpg (132 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
724662_L1.jpg
132 KB, 1200x1200
Hey /k/iddos,

Thinking of picking up a ruger sr9 / sr9c as a cc / range beater. Any owners care to report in with 1/5 - 5/5 in the following categories?

>Full size or compact

>Concealability

>grip comfort (I have medium size hand and am a LEFTY)

>ability to chew threw garbage ammo

>recoil

>disassembly / cleaning

>overall

>any other thoughts or concerns

Thanks all !
>>
As someone who is also looking at an SR9, I'm curious.
>>
Didn't know they offered that frame color. Neat. God I love ruger, all those customer surveys, quick change AR barrels, one of 3 railed 1911s that aren't $1100.
>>
As a Ruger fanboy I wholeheartedly suggest you pick one up asap.
Ruger is one of the last few true American gun manufactures.
>>
>>28065197
>>28065445

>looking for polymer pistol

>not buying Glock or M&P

fucking why
>>
>>28065546
Because other options exist?
>>
I plan on picking up a 9E (same thing just a little cheaper) this Christmas. I've had good luck with ruger with my 10/22 so I expect the same with this pistol. Unfortunately there's not a lot of reviews for it as fudds and takticool oper8ors seem to overlook it.
>>
>>28065546
>being a shitposting faggot
>>
>>28065573

>implying other options are better
>>
>>28065589

>butthurt ruger fanboy offering no rebuttal, just pedantic shit slinging

>says someone else is the shitposter

if only all of us could live so much inside our own heads
>>
>Full size or compact
full size/5
>Concealability
not sure, never tried. not as easy as a pps tho
>grip comfort (I have medium size hand and am a LEFTY)
3.5/5
>ability to chew threw garbage ammo
5/5
>recoil
pretty average
>disassembly / cleaning
not 1911 bad but its still a take down pin in 2015 2/5
>overall
solid cheap gun/5
>any other thoughts or concerns
there are better options out there but its a good gun for the price. id get an e9 over the sr9
>>
>ruger

Why
>>
>>28065619
>implying other options are worse
unfortunately this website is a breeding ground for shitposters.
>>
>>28065197
I had a SR9C that I ended up selling to a friend. Bought it to replace my Bersa Thunder as my CCW but it never quite felt right. My friend carries and she loves it.

Full size is a better range toy. It does conceal pretty well, I carried it in a holster from N82. Grip was not to my liking so I bought a set of adhesive grips. It shoots the cheap Tulammo just fine. Recoil isn't bad on par with most polymer frames. Disassembly requires pushing out a pin and pushing down a bar inside the magwell. Nothing complicated.

Overall not a bad pistol for the price and I have considered buying another in full size instead of compact. A few things I did to mine, aluminum striker indicator, heavier striker spring, heavier recoil spring, metal guide rod, lighter trigger spring, and Ghost trigger reset bar.

>>28065546
Not everyone cares for Glocks or their triggers.
>>
>>28065720

Glock and M&P are the most tried and true, and typically if you dont like one, youll like the other.
>>
>>28065736
>the most tried and true
>plastic guns
>>
>>28065630
>coming into a thread about a ruger screaming like an autistic child about muh Glawcks and empees
>>
>>28065736
Except that the Sig P320 is better than both of them.
>>
>>28065793
>Sig P320
*sluts laughing*
>>
>>28065197
don't have one, but shot a few. Its on my wish list, ive got some other things I want before it but I really liked it
>very comfortable to hold and shoot
>did shoot practically anything. its a ruger
>special snowflake status if youre bored with glocks
only isues were its a little on the full sized for carry and take down isn't as simple as others but its a decent to just below GOAT tier handgun in the cheaper but not POS category
>>
>>28065921
oh yeah thats a good rebuttal
>>
>>28065793
>$300 price difference
>>
Excellent thanks all for the responses so far.

I wear a little bit of a baggier fit pant when I carry so I think I might be able to get away with the full size. I just feel like the compact will feel uncomfortable in my hand and lead me to not carry/shoot it often. I've held it before but you can't really tell till you fuck around with it at the range.
>>
File: 20151015_012229.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151015_012229.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>28065736

Fns9.
>>
>>28067272
Really? I only paid $550 for mine.
>>
>>28065197
>Full Size: SR9
>Concealability: I don't. Probably not easily. Go compact if this is what you want it for.
>Grip Comfort: I have large hands (XXL). The rubber backstrap is reversible and I use it with the bulge out. Fits my hand well.
>Recoil: Minimal, very easy to get back on target.
>Garbage Ammo: 100 rds of Blazer aluminum cased ammo fed perfect. PMC bronze also flawless. Zero FTE or FTF.
>Disassembly / Cleaning: Easy. Pop out the plate above the trigger and it field strips easily.
>Overall: I am very happy with mine. You'll be happy with yours.
>>
I had an SR40c. It was like 3/5, at best.

Terrible grip. Just not ergonomic, at all. Trigger was decent, but not the best. It was too heavy for EDC, in my opinion. And the mag release button broke after less than 300 rounds. Had to send it to Ruger to be repaired. Their customer service was top notch. They paid next day air shipping both ways. I shipped it on a Tuesday and had it back in my hands on Friday, free of charge.

For the price, there are better options out there. It's not a bad gun, just nothing to write home about. I ended up trading in my SR40c towards an AR, since my Walther satisfies my EDC role.
>>
What of the 9E?
>>
>>28067818
The E9 is the less expensive version that should have been the only version.

It has less machining on the slide and no stupid LCI. Looks better too imo

Anyway, isnt it about time to make the word "ergonomic" a banable offense because I've been seeing it used way too often in the wrong way. It's right up there with tactical now
>>
>>28068238

>tfw I thought E stood for 'economic'
>>
>>28065197
yeah dont bother with it the P89 P85 was last great gun they made, the SR9 is cheap glock style knock off, it has magazine safety as such it will fail if dirt gets in their, also glock or Smith Wesson M&P are better choice (glock if you can) granted its cheap
>>
Anyone knows the difference between the sr9 ad the 9e, they look the same?
>>
File: 20151120_194724-2.jpg (3 MB, 1893x2642) Image search: [Google]
20151120_194724-2.jpg
3 MB, 1893x2642
>>28068238
The 9e is pretty solid. Decent trigger, no loaded chamber indicator (thankfully), fits nice in my hand and the recoil isn't bad at all. The breakdown is fairly simple takes about 5 seconds.
>>
>>28068508
That's my 9e in the picture. No loaded chamber indicator, less machining on the slide, non adjustable sights, has an opening on the top of the chamber to see if you have a round in. Not sure what else is different. The 9e only comes with 1 mag and does not come with a hard plastic case unfortunately
>>
>>28065197
I don't own one but I rented an SR9 at an indoor range this summer.

The grip was comfortable and it pointed well for me, but I'm right-handed and have really big hands.

It was full size. I didn't try to draw it from concealment or hide it under a shirt or anything like that. It's narrow as double-stack 9mms go but that doesn't say much--Ruger's web page says it's 1.27" thick, fatter than a Glock 17 at 1.18". For comparison a Beretta 92F is 1.40" and a 1911A1 with stock GI grips is 1.20". If you want to compare it to pistols actually designed to be carried concealed, as opposed to duty pistols, the compact singlestack 9mm pistols from Kahr have different barrel and frame lengths but they're all 0.88" thick.

It worked okay through 100 rounds of the cheap reloads that range sells for range use.

Recoil was very light with very little muzzle rise due to extremely low bore axis.

Trigger was very good, with smoother takeup and cleaner break than a Glock,

Didn't try to disassemble it.

Overall? Fit and finish were mediocre. The whole gun rattled like a beat-up WWII 1911 and barrel-slide fit was noticeably very loose. I note that the design includes a manual safety--I approve of such things, and am of such an age that when I learned to shoot it was the norm--if it was a semiauto pistol it almost always had a manual safety somewhere, and learning to use it was part of learning the manual of arms of that weapon. The SR9 has a safety mounted on the frame (good), that pushes down to disengage and up to engage (good), and it's ambidextrous (good) but that safety lever is about the size of a grain of rice sliced in half lengthwise, and I think I'd have to put in a lot of hours of practice before I was confident of my ability to manipulate it in a hurry under stress--this despite the fact that it works like a 1911 manual safety. Those levers are just too tiny.

All the bullets went where I put the front sight. If you have the flow, get it.
>>
>>28068298
Actually I was talking about a previous poster using ergonomic because it didn't fit him. I should have clarified that I wasn't referring to the E in 9E

>>28068453
Show me any mag safety that can't be disabled with 5 minutes of work
>>
>>28068930
Great breakdown. Much appreciated
>>
Torture test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-n5_Xuy1HY
>>
>>28065546
butt hurt glock fag
>>
>>28071604
Bought a 9e for my girlfriend as her first pistol. Her and I both love it. Fit both of our hands well and the trigger works well for me. The fit and finish is pretty good for how cheap it is. Hers has a small gap between the frame and slide but it doesn't bother her or impact function. All the magazines I've used for it have been a pain in the ass to load. Until they're broken in a mag loader is almost necessary. Just ordered a sr9c for myself earlier tonight.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.