[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice on bolt-action hunting rifles?? What brands are the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (46 KB, 710x377) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
46 KB, 710x377
Advice on bolt-action hunting rifles??

What brands are the best? I am leaning towards Finnish made Tikka/Seko, but I know very little about Rifles.

First time hunting rifle purchase help.
>>
>>28065031

Also, Scope help. I know nothng about scopes or quality, what to look for in a good scope.
>>
Bump, this board is busier than I thought
>>
>>28065031
Tikka T3 is your best bet for value, also look into Savage if your interested. I would personally stay away from Remington.
Optics i recommend Redfield. Basically just last gen Leupolds. Great all around 'basic' optic. Assuming 3x9 would be ideal for you but could vary depending on location
>>
Good options at that price level:
Tikka
Weatherby Vanguard
Browning X-Bolt

Cheaper:
Ruger American
Savage Axis

Slightly more:
Sako
CZ 550

Optics:
Leupold are decent
Redfield's Revolution line are okay for the price.
>>
>>28065083

What is the single most important aspect of a scope? Distance??

I know nothing.
>>
>>28065031
Get a Ruger American it your preferred caliber.
>>
>>28065106
Glass- the quality of the optics. You need to be able to clearly see what you want to shoot, without distortion around the edges.
>>
>>28065121
>Caliber

This was one of the guns I was looking at and it has a bunch of different caliburs offered. How do I know which will be the best for hunting? Is it largely about ammo price?

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Hunting/Firearms/Bolt-Action-Rifles/T3-Lite-Synthetic/p/191147B
>>
>>28065151
>Glass

I didn't know scope lenses were offered in plastic. Thanks for the help though.
>>
>>28065083

Is the scope on this combo decent?

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store/wsoo/en/Categories/Hunting/Firearms/Bolt-Action-Rifles/T3-Hunter-Combo/p/286504B
>>
>>28065167
Sorry, I meant the quality of the glass. Good quality glass makes a big difference. Magnification is nothing if the glass is shit. Also, you want a large enough objective lens to ensure enough light for the magnification.

Just get a 3-9X variable from a good manufacturer. 40mm should be a large enough objective
>>
>>28065232

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
>>
>>28065257
Also, when it comes time to mount the optic, check out some youtube vids- esp. Midway's- on how to do it right.
>>
>>28065190
Cant really tell what that scope is exactly, would just lean towards geting the rifle and a scope after.
>>28065153
Seeing as your in Canada, id say 30-06 for load choices, 308 & 270 are good choices too. 300 win mag is a solid caliber but depending what your doing may be to much
>>
File: RifleAmmoBuyingGuide_chart.jpg (125 KB, 700x484) Image search: [Google]
RifleAmmoBuyingGuide_chart.jpg
125 KB, 700x484
>>28065729
>depending what your doing

planning on hunting Deer mostly, though I would consider hunting elk or moose in a few years once I am more experienced. I don't really want to buy a new gun every few years, So i want something that gives me some options.

>Seeing as your in Canada

I have been leaning towards .308 WIN, as it sounds like the most common and trusted ammo, though I don't know how effective it would be against Moose.

How useful or accurate is this image??
>pic related
>>
>>28066185
.308 would probably work. 30-06 is established as an all around north american round. loadings up to 200-220grain will take anything we have.
Shot placement is more important then the round itself unless were talking about major magnum rounds
Also look into and consider 7mm magnum
>>
File: CZ_557_RANGER_NEW.png (85 KB, 786x250) Image search: [Google]
CZ_557_RANGER_NEW.png
85 KB, 786x250
Thinking of picking up a CZ 557 Ranger in .308 this weekend. It would be my first centrefire bolt action rifle, LGS said they'd give me 10% off

Should I do it? Any other good options with iron sights in the $800 - 1000 range?
>>
>>28067590

Make your own thread, commie
>>
>>28065031

OP here, after reading the sticky, I should add that I have never shot a rifle (assuming air rifles/pellet guns don't count). The sticky recommends .22LR as a first rifle. I should ignore this, right?
>>
>>28071638
if you haven't caught a rabbit then you aint no friend of mine
>>
>>28065031
I just got back from a successful hunt with a Tikka T3 Hunter model in .308. I'm going hunting tomorrow with the same rifle. Tikka for the win!

And it's Sako, not Seko.
>>28065047
Leupold VX-2 for the win! pick one with a reasonable range of magnification. Mine is 2-7.
>>
>>28065106
Clarity.
>>
>>28071638
Borrow or rent a .22 LR until you've learned how to shoot. Then practice with your hunting rifle until you can CONFIDENTLY kill anything you can see. Hope that helps.
>>
>>28065083
I love Tikka T3's but why the fuck is the 10 round magazine $250?
>>
>>28067590
>CZ 557 RANGER
Are these even available in the US yet? If so this is my next purchase.
>>
>>28065031

That's a nice long gun.
>>
>>28066526

Pretty sure I'm going to go with 30-06.

7mm msgnum sounds cool, but is probably overkill, and I don't know much about it.
>>
>>28075137

If I go with the 30-06 on a Tikka T3, Should I buy Surplus ammo for practicing shooting at a range??

I know very little about buying ammo. I know about grain, but i don't know what ET, AB, PT or BT mean.

I'm just looking for an options where I don't have to pay $1.50 per bullet
>>
>>28075512
Thats the downside of 30-06. It all depends how much you wana shoot, if you plan on shooting alot for fun then thats where 308 would be better. If this is primarily your hunting rifle and you just wana shoot alittle on the side then id say just stick with standard hunting rounds, remington corelokts/hornady interlokts etc
For hunting expanding soft points are your best bet, shoot whatever if you wana break your rifle in but then i would try out if your willing 150/165/180 grain and see what shoots best for you. Typically 165s are the ideal best
>>
>>28075631

I always come across stuff like this online (Pakistani Surplus ammo)
http://www.luckygunner.com/rifle/30-06-ammo

Is this a bad Idea?? Pakistani Surplus ammo?

Are they just cheap and inaccurate ammo, or can I do some damage to the bore of my rifle over time?
>>
>>28075695
Most bulk you'll find is berdan primed meaning its corrosive. Its fine if you wana take the time to clean it, but in a fairly expensive hunting rifle i wouldnt bother.
I forgot about the Prvi partizan and S&B ammo. Those are solid rounds & can shoot fairly well from what ive seen
>>
M24 mauser
>>
4chan ate my reply.

Long story short, OP. 30-06 is not what you want if you are looking to practice your shooting. It's a powerful caliber and the recoil will give you shitty habits if you don't know what you're doing and shoot past your fatigue levels.

If you want a first rifle for deer I would suggest going with a .243 in tikka t3/ruger american/savage.

It won't be an elk/moose gun, but by that time if you like it enough to hunt other game you can purchase another rifle for such things. Having a single rifle as your go to is something I would only recommend for people that have experience shooting. That way you know what you like and what your limits are so that you don't give yourself a flinch or any other problems.

If you really wanted something capable of moose/elk you could bump up to a 7MM-08 which would allow you to take them at shorter <300 yard ranges with proper bullets and keep recoil down below that of the 30-06. Still, I strongly heed against it unless you've already shot a variety of calibers and know what you're doing.

>Optics
Anything by leupold, nikon, redfield, and bushnell will be good. Nikon makes the best lenses out there for DSLR cameras so you know that the glass is high quality. I have a couple of their scopes on rimfires and the glass on those scopes ($150-160 rinkydinks) is better than the one on my older Bushnell elites that cost x4 more.

>.22LR
Piece of shit paper/squirrel/rabbit shooting gun, don't waste your time on it. Get 17 HMR/WSM or 22 WMR if you want a rimfire for hunting. They are a lot flatter shooting and can do more than the .22LR could ever hope to. <100 yards they are hell on hogs/coyotes/etc. with proper shooting.
>>
Orbyou can over compensate like my buddy and buy a 338 lapua for hunting elk/deer
>>
>>28072077
Because the same mag goes in the Sako TRG-22.
The price is that retarded because exporting military weapons and -parts is a fucking hassle. Also those mags are sold once every blue moon so they need to jew everyone who actually needs a new one.

The Tikka T3 CTR or whatever it's called over there (the 10 round model) will have its own proprietary mags that won't fit in the TRG so Sako gets around the fuckery involved with mil exports. The price should come down. The mags are just like the early production (or TRG) ones but with plastic shit tacked on so they dont fit in TRG magwell. So just chip that plastic off and you have cheap TRG mags too.
>>
>>28076744
>So just chip that plastic off and you have cheap TRG mags too.
Shit. I might be wrong. They might have modified the mag so that the plastic crap functions as the floor plate. Check before purchase.
>>
Tangently related.

What are some good bolt action 22lr rifles with irons?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-07-22-51-04.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-07-22-51-04.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
What is the cheapest .223/5.56 bolt action rifle in America?
>>
>>28077928
New, there's the Cz 455, various Anschutz.

Used, there's the Cz 452, various Anschutz,brno model 2, Remington 510 and 511, all the old Winchesters like the 52, and a bunch more that I've forgotten.

>>28078057
It may not be the cheapest, but the Ruger American is close.
>>
I'm looking for a cheap .223 bolt action with iron sights.

I don't care if it has after market parts or anything else on it/can buy for it I just want a minimalist varmit rifle with iron sights.
I know >>28078057
Already asked a similar question but mine is drastically different.
>>
Why is it so rare to find a tikka T3 with iron sights? And not on that battue model, just normal sights
>>
>>28076439

>Long story short, OP. 30-06 is not what you want if you are looking to practice your shooting. It's a powerful caliber and the recoil will give you shitty habits if you don't know what you're doing and shoot past your fatigue levels.

Does anyone else want to weigh in on this? I was pretty set on the 30-06, the only issue being the price of ammo.

Isn't there any way someone can learn on a 30-06 without developing bad habits?
>>
>>28077928
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT
>>
>>28079985
Honestly, the recoil isnt that bad. Learn to properly shoulder your rifle and you'll just get used to it. If you fear the recoil then you'll have problems.
Now you could look into a Lead Sled, basically removes the recoil from the rifle, if you are shooting for consistent precision groups then its not the best due to recoil being part of the consistent in rifle accuracy.
I would say possibly try one, if you know anyone that has a rifle & can let you shoot it if not.. you just have to accept it or go lower power if its an issue
>>
>>28080023
Also if recoil is an issue stay away from the T3 lite. Those things are bruisers
>>
File: 1_sako85_deluxe.jpg (553 KB, 3000x550) Image search: [Google]
1_sako85_deluxe.jpg
553 KB, 3000x550
>>28079985

When I first fired my .30-06 off the bench, I found the recoil to be pretty jarring. It was summer and I was wearing nothing but a t shirt.

After two trips to the range, I got used to the kick and now it's not bad. Colder months are even easier, since you're wearing layers, and when you're actually looking at an animal through your crosshairs you'll feel nothing. Field positions are easier on your shoulder than shooting off the bench or prone.

Go for '06 anon, it'll last you a lifetime and will serve you well on literally every hunt.

>deer, sheep
.30-06 with a 150 grain bullet is a fine choice
>black bear
whatever standard load you want
>moose, elk, caribou
Go up to 180's
>Going on Safari
Bring your '06 for plains game

Do it. Get the .30-06
>>
>>28080492
>Do it. Get the .30-06

That's honestly all I wanted to hear.
>>
>>28065083
>I would personally stay away from Remington.

Others have been suggesting the Remmington 700 to me, should I ignore them?
>>
CZs are pretty good rifles. I'd consider taking a look at them. Most of them can be had with iron sights, they're based off the mauser action, they can be had with detachable magazines or with hinged floor plates in a whole bunch of calibers. Oh, and the full length manlicher style stocks are gorgeous.
>>
>>28067590
Cz 557 series does not share the same reputation as the 550. 550 or don't get a cz IMO.

OP, if moose is in the realm of possibility, go 7mm rem mag. If elk and below, 308 will suffice for short-medium distance
>>
>>28065031

OP here, Everyone on this board has been a lot of help. I am still not %100 decided on my first rifle purchase, but you have all given me some ideas.

Right now I am thinking about a Sako A7

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/62684/sako-a7-soft-touch-stainless-bolt-action-rifle-w-burris-scope
It's a bit pricey, but It comes with a scope and saves me from having to get the tools to properly mount it myself.

If I buy this, I will never need to purchase another bolt action rifle again.
>>
>>28081532
Quality went to shit a few years ago. Few models that are good, 700 AAC is a good example.
Remington in general is just shit tier nowadays though
>>
>>28081674
Scopes unmounted but you could probally find someone to do it for you. Sakos are great, i dont have much experience with them but they are reguarded as the best all around rifles you can buy
Not to sure on the scope, but im sure its good
>>
Just get a cheapo Savage Axis chambered in 30-06. You want 30-06 over .308 win for Canada because Canada tends to have lots of black bears and large ungulates for hunting. The lower 48 states hunt for smaller game than Canadians which is why a lot of Americans prefer the .308 over the 30-06.

I don't see why you want to spend over a thousand dollars on a high powered hunting rifle. A hunting rifle is going to get dirt, rain, and literal shit all over it.
>>
>>28081572
>Cz 557 series does not share the same reputation as the 550
Why would it? It's a newer model. And how much does "reputation" really matter anyways? I buy a gun because of its performance, not for its reputation
>>
>>28082740

Isn't reputation largely based on performance? Serious question, I'm new to firearms.
>>
>>28082869
Depends on what kind of reputation you're talking about. That guy may have been talking about track-record, which there won't be a whole lot of info about for a new model. If he is talking about reputation based purely on performance I don't know where he's seen that, as the gun is fairly new and not even available in the US yet
>>
>>28080492
>>28080700
FWIW most people with flinches don't know they have them. There's a reason why it's so hard to get rid of and it's not because it's something that is easily controlled, it's a subconscious reaction that can and will spoil your shooting later on.

I'm not some caliber hating piece of shit either, I own a fucking 30-06, am 6'3"/200, and I'm telling you that it's really not a rifle for a beginner. The only way I would ever recommend it as a first rifle is if you shot purely the reduced recoil loads from Remington. I've used the 30-06 since I was 11 (started with 150 gr federal classics) and have killed more things with it than any other rifle I own. That being said, I had been shooting since I was 5 and had the basic fundamentals down. I didn't/don't ever use it for target sessions either, even with the leadsled plus that I have.

The exact same sentiment is felt for the 7mm RM. Neither of them will be enjoyable in something light like the Tikka that is being recommended.

>>28081728
Remington is fine. I don't get this meme.

Please give me an example of how it's "shit".
>>
>>28083033
870s finishing issues
700s overall quality, stocks are shit. Barrels are known to have bad defects and again finishing issues.
All the trigger issues over the years have MOSTLY been bullshit though
>>
>>28083206
>budget shotguns have poor finishes
Who woulda guessed?

>stocks are shit
On what model? Shit in what way?

>barrels are known to have bad defects
??

I don't even like remington that much, but I've never seen any of these issues you claim except on the sub-$400 870s which look like they were made with a 3D printer.
>>
>>28083268
Alot of reports of the barrels being machined wrong or having burrs present in the chamber/throat
Stock part goes the flimsy joke that the SPS has granted it is the "budget" 700
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.