[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fudd rifle for SHTF?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: fudd.jpg (81 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
fudd.jpg
81 KB, 750x600
Because hunting would be an important source of food in a hypothetical SHTF scenario, a SHTF rifle should be accurate and powerful enough to hunt and fight with. That rules out many "black guns"--.223 may lack the power for large game, especially at long distances--and assault rifles, which are not very accurate, but it includes almost any good hunting rifle. Those worried about capacity can buy aftermarket extended magazines.
>>
>>28063950

>.223 can't kill large game
>"assault rifles" aren't accurate

Go back to /b/, nigger. Hogs and deer are easily taken with .223.
>>
>>28063950
you don't need a fudd rifle, you need an idiot rifle for idiots like yourself.
>>
>>28064001
This.
Buy a mosin, OP.
>>
>>28063950
An after market extended magazine for a hunting rifle?

Can you give an example of this?
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>28063950
Go home, cancer.
>>
>>28063950
Lurk more. But if you want something to hunt with go get a 12 gauge and use deer slug problem solved. I'm just going to go ahead and ignore the rest of the retardation in your post.
>>
>>28063950
Shoot more and stop pretending like call of duty gives you an accurate representation of fire arms as a whole.
>>
>>28063950
In a shtf situation you and every other asshole will hunt the game to extinction in months. Almost happened in the depression.
>>
>>28063950
>Buy AR-15 in .308
>More "stopping power"
>More "accurate"
>More "reach"
>More ammo
>Less reloading
>(most likely) Less weight
>More options for attachments such as suppressors, sights, and lights
>More versatile
Or just get a M77 if you like your .308s with wood.
>>
>>28063950
You seem to overestimate the distances most people hunt at. You would be hunting at a much closer range than you would be fighting, so needing a super accurate rifle isn't really neccecery, people drop large animals with an SKS all over the world.

I find 7.62x39 to be a perfect civilian SHTF round for a variety of reasons. The round performs well at realistic ranges regardless of barrel length, it is more than sufficient to kill large game, it has decent penetration by default, and recoil and ammo weight is more managable than full power rifle rounds. So a good AK, SKS or VZ makes a great SHTF survival gun, in my opinion at least.
>>
>>28063985
desu senpai
>>
>>28063950
>Muh shtf

Realistically the closest thing any of us in north America are gonna come to some sort of a collapse would be a natural disaster, in which case plan according to your locale, ie, full capacity semi automatic weapons if you are in an area where looting will break out if the cops stop patrolling for an hour, Or extreme cold weather equipment, heating equipment and non-perishables if you live in a very cold area where burst pipes after a power outage could leave you without water for a long time.
>>
>>28063985
>Hogs and deer are easily taken with .223.
They can be taken, but not easily. Why risk losing the animal when a .308 or .270 will get the job done right every time?
>"assault rifles" aren't accurate
They're not. There's a reason snipers use bolt-action rifles (with the salient exception of the SVD). I've fired an AK before. The sight radius is far too short, and the action, although incredibly reliable, is clumsy at long ranges.
>>28064007
Is not a bad rifle after sporterizing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO11gIafId4
>>28064010
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/536644/tikka-extended-magazine-t3-25-06-rem-270-win-30-06-7mm-rem-mag-300-win-mag-5-round
>>28064037
Getting close enough to use a slug is fine for recreational hunting, but step on one dry twig, and the snap may scare the deer. Better to take them out from 100 yards
>>28064077
I know from personal experience that the joke about ARs jamming is no myth.
>>28064086
Just because it can be done doesn't make it prudent. When SHTF, being able to hunt at longer range is more than a luxury. It can mean the difference between meat and hunger. 7.62x39 is probably powerful enough, but the AK is not accurate enough beyond about 70 yards at the most.
>>
>>28064086
I have a mini-30, you hear bad things, but I like it. I have a rail on top with a red dot, a bipod, and a barrel strut. And a leather old military sling.
>>
>>28064176

>not shooting deer with 5.56 tracer rounds at night time

It's like you want to be a law abiding citizen or something.
>>
>>28064176
>svd
>sniper

go back to call of duty faggot
>>
>>28063950
7.62x39 is known to be good for deer hunting, 5.45 as well as it doesn't fragment as 5.56 does (7n6 especially). SKS's are considered decent hunting rifles as well as shtf rifles. If medium game hunting is a concern that'd be my personal recommendation, or an AK since their accuracy is actually quite similar and mounting optics is easier.

Any battle rifle would be ideal. .308 is a great round for medium to large game hunting, and the battle rifle aspects can pull the shtf duties. I wouldn't want a bolt action in an shtf scenario, despite it being lighter, cheaper, and a bit more accurate. The decreased capacity and follow up shot time doesn't quite cut it.

You're most likely to be hunting small game though, might want to consider a takedown .22 in your pack for dem rabbits n squirrels. Maybe a .22 revolver or target pistol of you can be accurate enough with it.
>>
>>28064243
What do you think the S stands for?
>>
>>28064176
>With the exception of the salient SVD
Then what are the SR-25, M21, M82A1, PSG-1, NTW-20, WA2000?
>>
>>28064270
Not so salient exceptions. I believe the military term is "limited use weapons."
>>
>>28064176
>SVD
>more accurate than ar-10
>that whole post

2/10 made me reply
>>
>>28064176
>semi auto
>not strong
>not accurate
>only one is svd

Then what the fuck is the m14 still being used for?
>>
>>28064176
>AK is not accurate enough beyond about 70 yards at the most

HAHA. HAHA.

Are these new American and serbshit AKs that bad? My saiga outshoots my buddies cheap AR that was actually more expensive.
>>
>>28064176
Sight radius on an AK is literally identical to a standard length AR-15.
>>
>>28064095
Learn it before you speak it nigger.
>はい先輩
>>
>>28064258
THIS, why wouldn't SVD be a sniper rifle?

The Dragunov sniper rifle (formal Russian: Cнaйпepcкaя Bинтoвкa cиcтeмы Дpaгyнoвa oбpaзцa 1963 гoдa Snayperskaya Vintovka sistem'y Dragunova obraz'tsa 1963 goda (SVD-63), officially "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963") is a semi-automatic sniper/designated marksman rifle chambered in 7.62×54mmR and developed in the Soviet Union.
>>
>>28064176
Trip Trigger, you forgot to turn on your tripcode.
>>
>>28063950
>implying you should hunt large game in shtf
>implying that it's not much more practical to hunt small game with a .22lr pistol
>not subsisting off of a tasty stew of squirrel, hard tack, and wild vegetables
> not carrying lightweight weapons and ammo to remain highly mobile

2/10 would not trust to watch my back
>>
>>28067662
pretty much this, if you dont have a family of ten why hunt large game in the first place?
>i'll shoot a moose and eat it all by myself and just carry that carcass around, rationing it
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.