[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you fire a gun in outer space?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2
File: 200w.gif (2 MB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
2 MB, 200x113
Can you fire a gun in outer space?
>>
>>28062433
Yes

You can Google shitty questions like this.
>>
>>28062433

Why not? You can fire a gun underwater, why wouldn't it work it in space?
>>
File: the_moon_and_the_metric_system.jpg (97 KB, 1427x628) Image search: [Google]
the_moon_and_the_metric_system.jpg
97 KB, 1427x628
>>28062447
Because people think that space is fucking magic or some shit.
>>
>>28062433
It's a self-contained chemical reaction, so there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to.
>>
>>28062433
Not this tread again
>inb4 someone trolls the fuck out of everyone by saying guns need air to work and this is a 300 post thread
>>
>>28062715
But guns need air to work
>>
>>28062740
>Guns need gas to cycle
Fixed it for you
>>
>>28062740

>But guns need air to work

All the chemicals required to make a gun go boom are sealed in the cartridge of a standard round.
>>
Would the projectile for forever and ever?
>>
Could you gun jump on the moon?
>>
>>28062901
An object in motion stays in motion unless acted upon by an outside force.
Yes.
>>
>>28062901
It would go towards the most largest gravitational force. If it could escape the moon's gravitational it would orbit the moon or head towards another celestial body. There's a lot of gravity in space but you get zero-g when you orbit the earth the same speed it rotates.
>>
Since cartridges have gap between powder and projectile. Would the vacuum of space cause the cartridge to deform?
>>
>>28062901
It would eventually slow down due to cosmic dust, but in practical terms it probably would go until it gets caught by gravity of some object big enough to pull it in.
>>
>>28062433
Can you take a dick in outer space?
>>
I think the cold in space will affect the oils required for smooth action.

But the assumption that you can't fire because there's no air/oxygen is wrong as the chemical oxidiser is inside the bullet and all expanding gases produced in that reaction, it's not a conflagration that requires external oxygen supply. This is common sense - a bullet is air tight and the explosive contents only exposed to the air once the bullet leaves the casing meaning the reaction has already occurred.
>>
>>28063066
You've actually got that backwards. Space isn't cold.

The biggest problem with shooting innaspace is that barrels and actions will heat up extremely quickly since the heat can't be dissipated into the atmosphere.
>>
Image result for can you shoot a gun in space
Fires can't burn in the oxygen-free vacuum of space, but guns can shoot. Modern ammunition contains its own oxidizer, a chemical that will trigger the explosion of gunpowder, and thus the firing of a bullet, wherever you are in the universe. No atmospheric oxygen required
>>
>>28063277
Correct. Heat is vibration of molecules, and there are no molecules in a vacuum.

Also correct. The only heat dissipation method available is radiation, and shit's slow.
>>
>>28062868
But wont the oxygen required to burn the gunpowder die out making the bullet much slower and making the gun much dirtier? I get that it would go bang but would the powder completely burn before the bullet left the barrel?
>>
>>28063341

Gunpowder has a chemical reaction, and that chemical reaction doesn't require oxygen because that chemical reaction itself produces all the oxygen required.

>Potassium nitrate, also known as ‘saltpetre’, or ‘saltpeter’, decomposes at high temperature to provide oxygen for the reaction. This means that gunpowder doesn’t need to be exposed to air to burn – and is why smothering fireworks won’t stop them burning!

http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/07/02/the-chemistry-of-gunpowder/
>>
>>28062679
You forgot Liberia and Myanmar.
>>
>>28063002
>the most largest
lost me
>>
>>28062901
Until it hit a random alien on his home planet and started a galactic invasion because you shot an alien minority.
>>
>>28063509
>I swear to you Quooop. Me and Blu'rd were just chilling when this piece of metal fell from the sky and turned his thinking apparatus to mush. It's aliens I tell you!
>Fuck off flo'rig, nobody cares about your hick self.
>>
>>28063498
When did Liberia and Myanmar put a man on the moon?
>>
>>28063618
They don't use metric, was my point.
>>
>>28062679
it's got no atmosphere whatsoever so i'm pretty sure rockets wouldn't work there but sealed bullets are designed to do this shit for some reason.
>>
>>28063720
Rockets work fine, just provide your own oxidizer.
>>
Metal Parts would cold weld together if they lacked a thin oxidized layer like on earth.
>>
>>28063277
>Space isn't cold.
That's not quite right. The background temperature in outer space is about 3°k (~450°f), which is pretty chilly, even by Canadian standards. You're spot on with the dissipation thing though - you can't make heat just dissapear, you need to transfer it in to something else, and what with space being full of, well, space, that doesn't really happen, so when something gets hot it stays hot.

>>28063489
>reaction itself produces all the oxygen required
Oxygen is an element, so you can't really "create" it. Explosive compounds contain oxidising agents, so all the oxygen required to fire the bullet is allready there. In a super simplified version, you have your explosive molecules, then you have your oxidising molecules which cotain oxygen atoms bound to a less reactive element. When the right conditions for the reaction (such as the addition of heat) occur, the oxygen atoms let go of the molecules they started out with and instead bond with the more reactive molecules, which then causes them to break down, which in turn causes the explosion.
>>
>>28063509
>alien dinnindus
>>
>>28064136

>need mo money fo dem el-maos
>>
>>28063720
Yeah rockets are fine in space, new horizons and cassini were powered by a solid upper stage
>>
On a related subject, what's that site that does extremely in-depth analysis of how space battles would work?
>>
Interesting fact: If you shot a bullet in space from a standard handgun the bullet would travel slower than the expansion of space, thus meaning it would never hit a planet or anything.
>>
>>28065177
Bullshit....the gun and planets are travel (expanding) at the same rate
>>
>>28063624
>2015
>taking the bait
>>
>>28065177
Every part of our bodies used to be a star...O.o
>>
>>28065223
Once shot, the bullet will keep going, quite literally, forever. "The bullet will never stop, because the universe is expanding faster than the bullet can catch up with any serious amount of mass" to slow it down, said Matija Cuk, an astronomer with joint appointments at Harvard University and the SETI Institute. (If the universe weren't expanding, then the one or two atoms per cubic centimeter encountered by the bullet in the near-vacuum of space would bring it to a standstill after 10 million light-years.)

Where did you hear they're going the same rate? your logic is bullshit sir
>>
>>28065249
I watched Ancient Aliens once!
>>
>>28065249
i am still am literally a star partially :^0
>>
>>28065223
the universe expands at a rate of 73 kilometers per second per megaparsec (about 3 million light-years, or the average distance between galaxies). By Cuk's calculations, this means matter that is 40,000 to 50,000 light-years away from the bullet would move away from it at about the same speed at which it is travelling, and would thus be forever out of reach. In the entire future of the universe, the bullet will catch up only to atoms that are less than 40,000 or so light-years from the chamber of your gun.
>>
>>28065265

he thinks the planets are moving away from the bullet, and that you can thus subtract the speeds of the bullet and the planet (so they are moving 0 m/s relative to each other). that is, of course, incorrect. it's space itself that is expanding, so it doesn't really matter where you fire the gun, the space between it and the next object will expand (at an accelerating rate), so it will never catch up.
>>
>>28065265

so if you shot it downward while standing on the moon it would never strike the surface?

That's bullshit and you should feel ashamed
>>
>>28065288
Then it would hit something. Not what your post originally said
>>
I like to poop
>>
>>28065311
did you read anything? or are you this stupid
>>
>>28065363
You are a poor explainer....
>>
>>28065363
Hey look at me...I'm a bioastromonicalorganicchemistryphyisistist and you're dumb
>>
>>28065363
Black Science Guy? Iz dat u?
>>
Cant be arsed explaining. Found this guy on youtube who explains it better. Hopefully you'll get it after this
https://youtu.be/hYf6av21x5c?t=4m11s
>>
>>28065363
wow, some faggot you are
>>
>>28065317
how many atoms do you think exist in any straight line within 40k ly?
>>
>>28065447
382 quadribazingoidillons x 10 to the 32 power
>>
>>28065495
grahams number desu
>>
>>28063318
There are no molecules in metal.
>>
>>28065501
Conway chained arrow notation or Hales-Jewett ?
>>
>>28063498
And guam
>>
>>28065547
who cares, it's too big anyway
>>
>>28063509
>Snarflax lives matter
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.