[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello gents. Assuming one could store ammo properly, how long
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: peters4570a.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
peters4570a.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
Hello gents.

Assuming one could store ammo properly, how long can it last? 50 years? 200 years?

And, the same with a gun. Stored properly, in theory, how long can it work properly?

Thanks.
>>
If you put them in a sealed barrel of cosmoline they'll probably last until the sun explodes. Then some distant planet in a far solar system will get free guns in the mysterious cylinders raining from the sky.
>>
3-3.5 years
>>
A gun, if properly maintained, could last until the parts wear out. It could last literally forever if it's just being stored. Anything with wood might need that replaced after a couple hundred years though.

Ammo, I'm less sure about. Assuming it's sealed from the outside environment, and there's no moisture, it might last forever. I'm not sure how chemically stable modern powder is.
>>
>>28061206
>nuggets launched into space upon death of the solar system
>a few hundred million years later Russians gets the last laugh when a nugget spears some poor bastard
>>
File: 1446386665142.jpg (30 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1446386665142.jpg
30 KB, 292x257
>>28061217
>>
So, guns should last a long fricking time if stored properly.

Any more ammo info? 3.5 years- indefinitely?
>>
>>28061227
We're shooting surplus from WW2 just fine.
Anon is an idiot.
>>
>>28061227
I have shot paper shotgun cartridges from 1905 that worked fine
Slight rust doesn't affect them
Age doesn't affect them
Only improper storage in high humidity areas would lead to a short shelf life
>>
>>28061227
My Tokarev is stamped with 1942, my Tokarev ammo with 1953...
>>
>>28061217
>earth had been quiet for some time now
>war and plague had driven the last remnants of man off of the planet eons ago
>at once there was a bright light, the sun's silent supernova burning through Mercury and Venus
>the shift in gravity throws the moon into Europe, fragments of planet the size of countries launching into space
>millenia later on a distant world, streaks of light burn across the upper atmosphere
>a farmer on the outskirts of a settlement hears what sounds like an explosion at the far end of his field
>a steel barrel is half buried in the ground
>curious, he investigates, prying it open
>a pleasantly scented golden substance fills the interior of the barrel
>the faint shape of the rifle within can be made out in the fleeting light of the day
>removing it, the farmer studies it for a moment, curious as to what it may be
>his hands work the controls and manipulate the sights
>finally he grasps the bolt and pulls it to the rear
>taped inside the chamber is a bag of weed
>Score!
>>
File: Browning 7.65.jpg (38 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Browning 7.65.jpg
38 KB, 600x450
>>28061234

This is the longest time period you can think of?
70 years ago when we made guns with an already modern manufacturing process?

To answer OP's question I've shot 7.65 browning from pic related, and i'm pretty much sure that the bullets were as old as the gun.
The cooper casings had traces of green oxydation, some misfired, but all in all it worked pretty well.

I precise that back then I was a huge retard, so I didn't even bothered to inspect the gun or grease it before firing it. Still worked fine.

Based John Moses Browning
>>
>>28061241
Define improper storage and high humidity
>>
>>28061265
Considering that's the oldest ammo I've shot, that's as specific as I can get before I start talking out my ass.
There's no reason to believe it wouldn't last forever, but ammo hasn't been around that long yet.
>>
>>28061282

Way to call someone an idiot on the internets tho.

But theorically you're right, I know there's Napoleonic Guard reenactements, and they take much pride to fire their blank salvos with the original muzzleloaders.

Not comparable to modern firearms in action sophistication, but still, rifle is fine.
>>
>>28061191
When stored in cool, dry place and protected form direct sunlight,
most factory-loaded ammunition is assumed to have 10-year shelf-life.

Military ammunition which is designed for long storage, can have 50+
years shelf-life as long as the package remains sealed.

I have noticed, that ammunition which has been in storage for 15-20
years was less accurate than fresh ammunition. When I fired several
shots through ballistic chronograph, I noticed that the old ammunition
had more variance in the muzzle velocity. This might be caused by bad
primers (uneven ignition) or deteriorated powder (uneven burn).

After some testing, I finally dismantled all 10+ year old ammunition,
and re-loaded the cases. Currently I am rotating my ammunition storage
so that there are no old ammunition left.

A few weeks ago, I took my grandson and his friend to shoot clays, just
because I had old batch of 12-gauge shells, and I wanted to make room
for a new batch.
>>
>>28061254
10/10 ending
>>
>>28061421
What does the military do to make their ammo last longer?
>>
>>28061705
Berdan-primed ammo in sealed spam cans with silica gel or any other moisture absorbing susbtance inside.
>>
I have shot ammo from 1870 and it still worked so I would say pretty damn long. It was a original 577 snider cartridge. I have also Fired a box of 577 martini from 1890.
>>
>>28063001
This.

My 7.62x54r spam can shit is all sealed up. I might leave a round underwater for a bit as an experiment to see how well it's sealed.
>>
>>28061191
Just today, I went to the range with my brother inlaw's .357 revolver. He gave me a 20 year old box of Black Hills Ammo. all 50 of them worked fine.

keep it dry and it will last
>>
File: 1447465535075.jpg (81 KB, 540x351) Image search: [Google]
1447465535075.jpg
81 KB, 540x351
>>28061217
>>
>>28061254
Made me genuinely laugh
>>
>>28061254
kek
>>
>>28061206
That's why its called "Cosmo"line
>>
>>28061234

My instructor fired stuff from 1917. One misfire.
>>
how often do we get these threads? once a week?
>>
File: sealed primer.jpg (46 KB, 640x466) Image search: [Google]
sealed primer.jpg
46 KB, 640x466
>>28061705

Seal the primer and bullet. If you look at military ammo you'll typically see red stuff over the primer and around the bullet where it meets the case. Pic is sealed primer vs unsealed primer.
>>
>>28061254
I forgot about that, thanks
>>
>>28061281
I keep my shit in ziplog bags with a silica desiccant. takes moisture out of that equation.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.