[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for Knifu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
I'm looking for a knife that is small and light enough to be carried everyday comfortably, yet is long and tough enough to get you through any urban/wilderness survival situation. I'm thinking 5" as an absolute minimum blade length, and probably 7+ as a max. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>28058447
Opinel
>>
>>28058475
Do you have a specific suggestion? I've already pretty much found the knife I want, this is just to see if anyone has any good experience/stories with a specific knife that may be better.
>>
>carried everyday comfortably

No 5 or 7 inch fixed blade will do that.

Check out a Colt Steel Espada XL
>>
>>28058475
Just took a look, and it seems they only make folders. I'm looking for a fixed blade.
>>
Hey /k/, my brother bought a [spoiler]strider[/spoiler] knife for a camping trip. I was cleaning and it drop. I wonder how to return it to its original state.
>>
>>28058515
Mora
>>
>>28058514
A good knife for sure, love the triad lock, but I own and carry other knives that just don't quite meet the specific specs I'm looking for but are around 7", and I don't have a problem with it. I'm obviously not looking for something that will fit in a pocket or be easily concealable, just something that isn't like the Trail Master that will weigh a decent bit and look ridiculous in EDC.
>>
>>28058496
Please don't tell me said knife is United Cutlery ...
>>
>>28058447
Ontario.
There ya fucking go.
>>
>>28058529
Can you post a pic of the knife and damage? Also, what steel? What grind and angle?
>>
>>28058570
No, haven't really looked at their stuff much.
>>
>>28058575
I meant the blade is out. I cannot seem to find the right term for it. I just want to return it to its original state so my brother won't get angry.
>>
>>28058544
Any knife company that doesn't tell what their knives are made of on their website is not one from which I will be buying a knife anytime in the near future. Also, most of their blades look puny.
>>
>>28058597
So it fell out of the handle? Is it a rat tang? Partial tang? Hidden tang? Full exposed tang?
>>
>>28058622
It's a folding knife. I'm really worried for this little thing. The blade didn't fell. I don't know a lot of things about knives in general so I must apologize in advance.
>>
>>28058665
A picture is worth a thousand words.
>>
>>28058586
ok good, they're mediocre mall ninja knives
>>
>>28058549

>look ridiculous in EDC

Get a humongous bowie knife then, Timber Rattler Outlaw is huge and $25.
>>
File: x.jpg (122 KB, 554x403) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
122 KB, 554x403
>>28058676
The handle is a little different but the blade is the same.
>>
>>28058782
That sure helps...
>>
Don't cheap out on knives. A good knife will give you years of usefulness if minimal care is given. I love my al Mar Shiva for a mid size, easily carried fixed blade. It's a bit pricey, but its worth it for sure.
>>
File: CS-38CKJ1.jpg (49 KB, 800x333) Image search: [Google]
CS-38CKJ1.jpg
49 KB, 800x333
>>28058693
The knife I think I'm going to get is the Cold Steel SRK in VG1. The way I see it, the handle is comfortable, and since it's rubberish material you don't have to worry about it eroding/rotting or just generally becoming slippery in a wet environment. Although the hidden tang isn't as strong relative to an exposed tang, it makes the knife only way 8.2 ounces for a 10.75" total length, and from what I've head the SRK is pretty much indestructible. VG1 is a step up from aus8a, and some 250 pound guy broke his SRK in a destructive testing video after wedging it sideways between two pieces of wood then standing on it (this was after using a 3lb metal mallet to pound it through wood, stabbing the tip into metal, hacking concrete, etc. i.e. not in perfect condition). VG1, although not a "super steel", is tough enough at 5mm (0.197") to not have to worry about it snaping on you, and has a good compromise between edge retention and ease of sharpening for a survival situation. Additionally, the saber grind is great for outdoor work as it is easy to sharpen and probably the second strongest grind, convex being the strongest but harder to sharpen without the proper tools (at least for me, as I have never owned a convex). The reinforced clip point of it makes it better than most survival/woods knife for tactical situations where you may need to stab with it, as well as for any other tasks for which you need a fine (but tough) point. And finally, that knife looks sexy as fuck. It seems like the perfect "jack of all trades, master of none" knife. The only thing I'd change about it is maybe a thicker hidden tang, and a windowbreaker/pommel on the handle. But if push comes to shove, you could either use something else to bust out a window, or just stab it with the tip of the knife (in the destructive testing video mentioned before, the guy was stabbing into thick metal with the tip and prying, and it faired well, and was aus8a, not VG1).
>>
>>28058782
You probably just need to put the pivot screw back in, unless it got lost. In that case, you'll have to find a similar screw at a local store that will fit, and just hope your brother doesn't notice, or just order one from the manufacturer.
>>
>>28058835
Ah arent you that fucker that posted that thread like 3 times?
>>
>>28058859
My mom just called. She said she will tell my brother about the problem. Thank you for helping me.
>>
>>28058873
all I know is tldr
>>
>>28058835
Oh, and what I mean to say about the whole 250lb guy standing on it is that 1. It bent to about 30ยบ+ before snapping, so I'll be able to tell that it's going to break, and 2. I can't lift 250lb with one hand, so as long as I never pry so hard with it that I need two hands, it won't break.
>>
>>28058873
That would be me. I find that when you open with one knife brand, people immediately focus on why it's bad, or start comparing companies. I don't really give a shit about the companies, I just want knife suggestions. Haven't got more than 4 good ones yet.
>>
>>28058604
But they do. You're obviously too stupid to find it.
>>
>>28059063
Please educate me then. Where does it say what this knife is made out of?
>>
>>28059124
http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Allround-748MG-Sandvik-Stainless/dp/B00LCSIQP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449036928&sr=8-1&keywords=morakniv+748

It's Sandvik.
>>
>>28059247
I didn't say it could not be found, I said that I'm not going to buy a knife made by a company that does not list it on THEIR website.
>>
>>28059327
I'm not the original guy you were talking to. I just thought you couldn't find it.
>>
>>28059327
Because everyone and their dead granny knows what steel mora uses, why would they bother?
>>
How much are you willing to spend?

>>28058835
> and since it's rubberish material you don't have to worry about it eroding/rotting or just generally becoming slippery in a wet environment
Unless you have a shitty knife, your handle eroding is pretty much a non-issue.

Also, rubber knives, though grippy, can develop hotspots in extended use.

>Additionally, the saber grind is great for outdoor work as it is easy to sharpen and probably the second strongest grind, convex being the strongest
You can have a saber ground knife with a convex edge. All a saber grind means is that the blade grind begins around the halfway point of the blade. This makes it sturdier, but at the cost of slicing ability, since the thicker knife isn't as efficient than a thinner one.

Anyways, the one you've picked is pretty decent. Give me a price point and I'll give some other suggestions.
>>
>>28058447
M9 bayonet through Amazon from OKC
>>
>>28058447
What do you guys think of buck knives? Thinking about buying 119 special
http://www.buckknives.com/product/119-special-knife/0119FAM01/
>>
>>28060305
I have one and it's my favorite knife but don't try to baton it or pry with it as it will break, but it's a hunting knife, not an axe

The compadre camp knife is a good option, it doesn't look quite as cool but it's a very tough knife with a good warranty, I would be much more inclined to abuse it than the 119 without fear of it breaking
>>
>>28060305
They're pretty old fashioned, on account of being of the oldest knife companies in America. They make good quality stuff, though they tend to be behind the curve when it comes to using modern steels and such.
>>
>>28058893
>I can't lift 250lb with one hand, so as long as I never pry so hard with it that I need two hands, it won't break.

This..is not how torque works
>>
>>28058835
Why such a shitty knife? Those things rust like motherfuckers.
>>
>>28060252
>>28060305
I have a problem with these knives based on personal preference. I've never like knives with back guards, as it makes finer bushcraft tasks harder to do since the guard limits your hand positions.
>>
>>28060221
I'm looking for a knife around $150. Also, can't hollowgrinds start from halfway on the blade, like the San Mai iii version of the SRK? Wouldn't this make hollow grinds, convex, and scandi all just different forms of saber grinds? Although they may all start from the same place halfway on the blade, I thought they were considered similar in some cases, but not subcategories of another grind. But regardless of grind terminology, I'd appreciate any knife suggestions.
>>
>>28060678
... It's made of stainless steel... it doesn't rust...
>>
File: next_gen.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
next_gen.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28058447

time to post this again...

Here's what I carry - it's a 3 inch blade, which is what I consider a "comfortable urban edc". At the same time, it's a full-blown bushcraft knife.

If $135 is above your budget, the esee Izula 2 fills the same role for around 80 bucks.

If you want to go to 4 inches, you have even more options - Again - LTWK is the first thing that comes to mind, as well as ESEE, and some knives from TOPS (particularly the scandi trekker, or the BOB/BAJA, though at that price, you can just buy an LT Wright Genesis, which is much better).

Another favourite of mine is the BM Bone Collector (sadly discontinued) - a close approximation, in s30v steel, will be the BM Saddle Mountain Skinner.

Or you can get the Falkniven F1, or Cold Steel Master hunter in CMP 3V.

There are plenty of options.
>>
Fallkniven S1/F1/A1

All other answers are wrong.
>>
>>28064164
I was considering those, but from what I've read VG10 takes a finer edge than VG1, and it holds an edge longer, but is more likely to chip out on you. Also, they cost almost twice as much as the SRK, so instead of $90 or so I'd be paying $195 on Amazon for the A1 (the best Fallkniven knife for my purposes). For a steel that's more likely to chip out for the sake of slightly better edge retention and a pommel it's not worth it. I'll buy two SRKs and after the first one gives out in 40 years just use the next one until I'm dead.
>>
>>28058447
What you are looking for is two different knives, you want an EDC and a Innawoods knife. For what to get that honestly depends on your price range.
>>
>>28059327
Thats a really stupid rule to have. And they are right for your use case a mora would be fine.
>>
>>28065140
Regardless of the rule or it's stupidity, their knives have never looked tough. They all look like they have thin blades that would snap in any sort of hard use situation. The thickest one on their site that is even close to my parameters at first glance is 3.2 mm, the rest are generally 2 or 2.5. With that thin of a blade, I wouldn't be willing to trust it not to snap on me.

>>28065110
Sorta, I'm looking for a jack of all trades knife that can handle all situations well, even if it isn't the best in any. My idea with this knife is basically to carry it with me 24/7 and know that no matter where I go or what situation I'm in, it'll be able to handle it well without breaking. Now I will also be using it as a camp knife, so I'd say it's basically a medium size Innawoods knife with a clip point for combat purposes and stainless so I don't need to worry about oiling it everyday after use. So maybe 1/2 woods knife 1/4 EDC 1/4 combat. As far as price goes, my initial limit is $150. However, since I want a knife that will last me a very long time, I'd be willing to spend more so long as the ability of the knife relative to the price is higher than that of the SRK. In other words, if the knife will only last 10% longer than the SRK under the same use and the breaking/dulling point isn't significantly different outside of intentional destructive testing cases, then I'm not going to drop $500 on some custom knife. If there is a knife that beats it hands down in all categories by a long shot that costs a little over $200, that'd be worth it. But with the SRK costing around $90 and being as good as it is, I'd say in terms of value it's one of the best knives out there for my purposes.
>>
>>28067526
Again I think you should keep your camping knife and your EDC knife separate and there really isnt a lot that fits that description but i will do my best to recommended a knife that I think would fit that description. The closest knife I own that fits the specification is either my KABAR or my TOPS rangers edge. So for your purpose and for the sake of being able to carry it in public I would say go with one of the smaller KABARS
>>
File: WFnwnGa.png (114 KB, 596x880) Image search: [Google]
WFnwnGa.png
114 KB, 596x880
>>28062928
You're mixing up the primary and secondary grinds. Any grind that starts from the centerline is a saber grind.

Here's a chart from Spyderco that explains the difference.

>>28062941
>... It's made of stainless steel... it doesn't rust...
That's a misnomer. Stainless steel just means it "stains less". Stainless steel can rust, it's just more resistant to it than carbon steel.

Granted there are extreme examples like H1 steel used in the Salt series of Spyderco knives, which won't rust.

>>28065110
This anon also has a point. What makes a good EDC knife doesn't necessarily make for a good innawoods knife and vice versa.

>>28067526
>They all look like they have thin blades that would snap in any sort of hard use situation
Define hard use.

>Sorta, I'm looking for a jack of all trades knife that can handle all situations well
A jack of all trades knife would only be able to handle all situations "okay". You can't have your cake and eat it too.

>I was considering those, but from what I've read VG10 takes a finer edge than VG1, and it holds an edge longer, but is more likely to chip out on you
When determining whether a knife will chip or not, heat treatment and geometry are much more important than steel.

It's sort of like caliber. It's fun to argue about what's superior, but ultimately, the gun which fires the bullet and the person holding the gun is more important in determining what's more effective in real world use.
>>
>>28068709
As far as rust and stainless, I've carried an aus8a ak-47 by Cold Steel for around 3 years now and never once oiled the blade itself. The knife has been fully submerged in water for a variety of reasons, and seen many wet days in the rain, and has yet to show the slightest sign of rust or even discoloration. So although stainless may not be 100% rust proof, it's good enough for me if it's as good or nearly as good as aus8a. If I have to oil it every 2 years instead of being able to let it go 3, meh.

With regards to EDC, combat, bushcraft, and survival knives being different, I am fully aware of that. My goal is nonetheless to find a blade that can handle all situations well, with a tip towards survival/outdoor use. And I think the SRK can at least do them all well, not just "okay". It's not going to blaze through all tasks in record time, but it will be able to get them done efficiently enough for me.

For me, hard use means chopping and batoning through the hardest wood you'll encounter in the woods over and over without it breaking. Additionally, it should be able to handle a decent amount of prying and stabbing. Although those aren't tasks that I would use my knife for everyday, I don't want my knife to break should the need arise. I just can't picture a 2-3mm thick blade surviving what I would be doing with mine/need to do. When first looking through knives I was weary about the SRK too and was considering something more along the lines of the ESEE 5 (1/4" thick) or CS recon scout (1/3" thick), but I think the SRK will do the job without breaking.

With regards to VG10 vs VG1, the only knife I've considered and compared to the SRK that has VG10 is the fallkniven A1, and since I'm not willing to spend literally double+ the money for a pommel, that's cleared up easily.
>>
>>28069781
> So although stainless may not be 100% rust proof, it's good enough for me if it's as good or nearly as good as aus8a.
Good for you, just clearing up the misinfo on stainless steel. Do you have the black coated AK47? If so, it's possible that it's rusting under the coating and you don't even see it.

>I am fully aware of that. My goal is nonetheless to find a blade that can handle all situations well, with a tip towards survival/outdoor use. And I think the SRK can at least do them all well, not just "okay".
By definition a jack of all trades knives shouldn't be able to do everything well. If there's a knife that can do everything well, there wouldn't exactly need to be specialized knives would there?

>It's not going to blaze through all tasks in record time, but it will be able to get them done efficiently enough for me.
efficiently for you =/= efficient for everybody

>With regards to EDC, combat, bushcraft, and survival
How much do you know about those areas?

>For me, hard use means chopping
Why would you chop with a knife? It's inefficient, especially trying to do it with a 5-7 inch blade.

>batonning
Batoning is more of a matter of proper technique than it is of blade thickness. Certain blades will baton more efficiently, sure, but you can baton with a wooden wedge.

>Additionally, it should be able to handle a decent amount of prying
>prying with a knife
>expecting it to be good at cutting at all
Pick one.

Regardless of suggestions, you seem dead set on getting the SRK anyways.
>>
>>28062869
Not sure what in the hell you mean by a back guard, unless you mean the bayonet lug. But I've never had a problem using mine. And the cross guard is large enough to protect your hand but small enough to be worked around in basically any situation
>>
>>28070293
Not dead set on the SRK, it's just the best I've found, so I use it in my examples. From what I've seen it's the best one out there that fits my purposes. If you care to suggest a knife rather than discuss general knife philosophy and materials, I'm all ears.
>>
>>28070356
I guess it would be more proper to say the back of the guard rather than a back guard. In other words, with the SRK you can slide your thumb from the handle onto the spine of the knife no problem while still having the kray-ex quillon to stop your hand from sliding onto the blade. With knives like the recon scout that have the guard wrap around to the spine of the knife I find some tasks to be annoying.
>>
>>28070576
>If you care to suggest a knife rather than discuss general knife philosophy and materials
You need to understand that stuff in order to know what makes a good knife, but it's not as fun as looking at knives, I get it.

Knivesshipfree has a good deal on the ZT Shifter. Nice G10 handles, blade just under 5 inches, 4mm thick blade, decent stainless
https://www.knivesshipfree.com/zero-tolerance-zt0160-5-shifter-fixed-blade/

Doug Ritter/Becker Perseverance
Bit on the pricier side, mainly because there's only one retailer. A good compromise between slicer and prybar. Not stainless.
http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterrskmk2perseverance.aspx

Blackjack 125
At the upper limit of your price range, but I think the classic looks are sexy.
http://newgraham.com/Classic-125-Black-Micarta-BJBCB125BM/

Ontario RAT 7
RAT is the original name of ESEE before they had to change names. The Ontario ones are older than ESEE and probably won't be a nice in terms of fit and finish and maybe ergo, but they're probably just as sturdy and are cheaper as well.
http://www.ridgeknifeshop.com/proddetail.php?prod=OKC-Rat-7-FB&cat=8

Honorable mention: Spyderco Rock Salt
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPFB20POR/spyderco-fb20por-rock-salt-fixed-h1-satin-plain-blade-orange-frn-handles-sprint-run

A bit out of your price range due to being a sprint run. It seems thin, but because of the saber grind, it's still plenty sturdy and the hollow grind leaves it thin at the edge. From what I've heard, ergos are fantastic. I don't care for the orange, though it makes it easy to spot if you accidentally drop it while innawoods. H1 is also rustproof.

The LT Wright, Falkniven, and ESEE choices mentioned by others are all fine choices as well.
>>
File: benchmade.jpg (101 KB, 1500x1256) Image search: [Google]
benchmade.jpg
101 KB, 1500x1256
ok, all this talk about good edc knives an no mention(that i saw) of benchmade? shame on you.
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/BM150011/benchmade-hunt-15001-1-saddle-mountain-skinner-fixed-s30v-blade-contoured-g10-handles-kydex-sheath
>>
>>28058835
can't go wrong with a good japanese made blade
>>
>>28062941
It rusts, like any other steel.

I was told they were good knives, too, at one point. So I used one as a camping/skin diving knife.

It rusted in the time it took to walk out of the water and sit like, twenty feet up on the sand, with the knife having been in good condition before the swim.

It also doesn't hold an edge for Shit. I cut some rope with it so I could secure a tarp to put under my tent (before which it was factory sharp, this being its first use) , and found it nearly dull on the belly of the blade afterwards.
>>
>>28069781

Holy Shit. You want a knife to fell maple saying with.

I.....son....you're retarded. Myself and your mother have held off on telling you, but...we feel it's just unfair to let you keep living without knowing.

Now go buy a fucking hatchet you stupid Shit.
>>
>>28071140
Definitely some good knives. It seems like the Zero Tolerance and the Rat 7/ESEE 6 are on either side of the SRK, ZT being smaller and a better EDC/slasher, the RAT and ESEE being larger and better innawoods blades. The blackjack seems like the handle would get slippery very easily, and the Spyderco and Ritter knives seem a bit too innawoods and not enough EDC for my tastes.
Have you used the ZT, RAT, or ESEE 6? Although usually I'd say that the differences between the RAT and ESEE knives aren't enough for me to choose ESEE due to it being double the price, that "no questions asked" transferable lifetime warranty seems worth it. I'll have to look into all the blades more and see what I find. After I know what all the features of the blades are, then is the time to talk philosophy of use.
Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>28072103
Are you sure you didn't buy the carbon V or get ripped off? I've read tons of reviews on the stainless SRK, and not a single one has mentioned it rusting. Did you buy it from them, or someone else?
>>
How about Spartan blades enyo? Or the wrinkler belt knife?
>>
>>28072509
Haven't used the ZT, but that knivesshipfree link has 'em cheaper than anyone, including other knife retailers, eBay, and Amazon.

Haven't handled newer ESEEs, but I have handled the Ontarios. The Ontarios are perfectly serviceable out of the box, though they could do with some touchups, i.e. sanding the handles a little for comfort, etc.
>>
>>28071358

I mentioned it here: >>28063396
>>
>>28058804
fucking euros
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.