[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ladyfriend getting a rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Classmate of mine just got her tribe money and wants to get a real semi-auto rifle. She has had an old 20ga and LCP her dad gave her for home defense, but she says she wants to step up and get something like an AR.

She's pretty average size for a girl, shorter arms and about 5'7", and she wanted something to start with iron sights and hone the fundamentals of riflemanship, so I figured a true blue (sans F/A) XM16A1 build, since the shorter A1 stock would probably fit her length of pull better. What does /k/ think?

Complete parts list from Fulton and AR Sport + PSA lpk before a stripped lower comes out to be ~$715, which is perfectly good sounding to her, budget wise.
>>
>>28052084
holy fuck you autist why the fuck would you just use a collapsible stock? you damn well she didnt say a fucking think about honing her skills and iron sights. youre just projecting your /k/ noob may mays onto her
>>
File: XM16E1 R Field strip.jpg (96 KB, 1389x622) Image search: [Google]
XM16E1 R Field strip.jpg
96 KB, 1389x622
>>28052084
*XM16E1, whoops.
>>
>>28052084

>tribe money

are you native american/5 nations?
>>
A 16 inch M4 build with collapsible stock and flat top upper would be a better long-term choice. Slap on some flip-up irons and you're good to go.
>>
>>28052120

They get shit on because they arent tacticool but i like fixed stock, full length AR's with carry handles
>>
>>28052138
I originally put together a 16" middy with all the basics, the normal build you're probably aware of, but I thought the longer sight radius and feel of a full 20" would be a better start for her, since she's pretty much never touched a rifle aside from my PTR.
>>
>>28052116

>legitimately angry about someones completely benign preferences that have no effect on your life
>>
>>28052147

Are you just going to keep replying to yourself.

Anyway this >>28052133
>>
>>28052133
>>28052181

She is, and on paper too, hence the prariemonies.
>>
>>28052165
You're totally free to go with a 20 inch barrel, it's by no means a wrong choice. The downside is a longer barrel is heavier as well, which can put people off extended practice, particularly if they're not used to the weight. I'd still go with a collapsible stock and flat top though.
>>
>>28052181

not OP brah.
>>
>>28052221
I was very close to saying to her just go with a 16" flat top, and she ultimately deferred to my judgement, but the A1 profile barrel is pencil, I kept weight in mind.
>>
>>28052238
A pencil barrel is lighter, but also inherently less accurate than a barrel with a government or heavy profile. Whether you go 16 or 20, a government profile is the lightest I'd go.
>>
>>28052305
>inherently less accurate
Not in the sense that the thinner profile is less accurate, that is not true, and you would be dealing with weight of the muzzle device if you were talking about accuracy in regards to mass profile.

Cooling rate versus heating up, yeah, pencil vs bull, but a gov profile doesn't really fix anything.
>>
>>28052361
It could be I'm just prejudiced against thin barrels. I'll make one last argument for short barrels before I have to get back to work: if this rifle is to be used for home defence, a shorter barrel is much easier to maneuver in tight spaces, but it still gives reasonable accuracy at range.
>>
>>28052458
Yes, I took that issue into account as well, but she mentioned that she may be getting *another* wad of money from them soon too, and said she could just get two guns, one being a home defense middy/carbine.
>>
>>28052481
"May" is not "will," and if it were me I'd spend that on ammo/mags, maybe an optic. A gun and lots of ammo is better for practice than two guns and some ammo. Ultimately, neither choice is right or wrong, and you can always just build a second upper.
>>
>>28052084
I think it's wayyyyyyy to early to start thinking about customizing components to a shooter if they've never shot before.

I would almost recommend just go buy someone else's AR on consignment for like 500 bucks (seems to be the average 'price floor' for reasonably good starters imo), have her play around with it a bit, and THEN start swapping out parts.

Also how's tribe money work? Just curious in general, is it like some stipend for native americans or something? like some kind of reparations thing? or is it only for folks living on the reservation? etc...
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.