[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hunting culture outside the US
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: hunter-hog.jpg (71 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
hunter-hog.jpg
71 KB, 620x350
Are there any countries with a hunting culture similar to the US?

if you're outside the US what kind of animals do you hunt and what is the price for tags to hunt those animals?
>>
>>28043712
Hunting?

What's that?
>>
I know Straya has a pretty big duck hunting culture, took some gas worker out of Sydney on a hunt.
>>
>>28043712
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcky95pj-8

im not from germany, but they do have some good hunters over there
>>
Thinking about going to Texas for hog hunting. The whole minimal restrictions for when and what you use for hunting them gives me a boner.
>>
>>28043795
and now we can see some glorious russian hunting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SpzW_O2Ya0
>>
>>28043825
There ROFLCopter hog hunting in Texas too

http://www.helihunter.com
>>
This hunting topic just gave me an idea.

I thought about collecting the skulls of the deer that I may come across and hunt during hunting seasons and take the skull, clean it up, polish it down and put it on the shelves and get so many deer head skulls that I would use that to make a Christmas tree like stand or make a table out of deer skull or the antlers.

Keep in mind that I will still cut the meet and eat the cooked meat and turn the akin into leather and use the bones for tools or other use but what do you guy's think on that?
>>
>>28044417
I think your a creepy fuck and you need some mental help
>>
>>28044417
My aunt does stuff like that, ornamental pieces and lamps. Even sells some for a few bucks could be a fun hobby
>>
>>28044417
I think you should do it, I'll mail you my deer skulls if I get any
>>
>>28044417
Had a deer skull sitting in my snake tank as a hide until my snake outgrew it. It's not uncommon to see stuff like what you're wanting in the south.
>>
File: P1030023_zps9d8db51a.jpg (173 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1030023_zps9d8db51a.jpg
173 KB, 1024x768
basically all mammals in new zealand are introduced species, none of them have any natural predators and so breed like crazy and are thus considered pests. there's no hunting seasons or game tags, and plenty of the land is public, so if you have a hunting license then you can hunt almost whatever and whenever you want. there's several deer species (fallow, sika, white tail, reds, wapiti (american elk), sambar, rusa), feral animals (goats, pigs, sheep, turkeys, geese), tahr, wallaby, chamois, tons of rabbits. the indigenous birds are off limits and there's seasons/limits for some game birds like ducks, quails and pheasants i think.
>>
>>28043825

Best part is, lots of guys will let you shoot hogs on their land for free. If you're a really good hog killer, some ranches/farms will even pay for you to remove pork
>>
>>28043860

This is exactly the video I wanted to see when I moused over the link! Thank you for not disappointing, /k/omrade!

>>28046251

That sounds lovely!
>>
>>28043712
Here in Australia we surprisingly do have a fairly strong hunting culture once you get out of major cities and towns. Lots of people I know go hunting in some form and where I live it is 100% socially accepted, people around here would think you're a bit of a dickhead if you were against hunting.
It's waterfowl season here right now, I went out hunting yesterday but didn't get any. A permit to shoot waterfowl costs $20 per season and you can take 10 ducks and 7-10 geese per day. You have to use Cat A shotguns (no semis or pump-actions) or bows (no crossbows) and are restricted to steel shot because muh lead poisoning.
Feral pig permits cost like $5 per year and you can hunt them with any cat A/B firearm or any other weapon. My pig gun is a pump-action .223. Pig hunting is super popular, they're a pest so there's very few regulations around them and there's no bag limit.
On crown land you can also hunt: Cats, dogs, cattle, horses, pigeons, rabbits, foxes, camels, cane toads, sparrows, deer, goats, doves, donkeys and buffalo. You don't need a permit to hunt this shit (except buffalo but nobody bothers ever).

Kangaroo hunting is also popular if you can get a permit for it.
>>
>>28043795
That'd give grandpa joe one hell of a flashback.
>>
>>28043860
>>
>>28047296
I assumed this was going to be an lol funnah /pol/ meme from the filename. So glad I was wrong, that was amazing.
>>
>>28047296
This is impressive shit.

Like a weaponized version of rodeo clowns.
>>
>>28043712
Will go to sleep now so I cant answer to questions but Germanys system is fundamentally different from the American system. I will also dumb down a few parts.

Here the country has basically:
-Private hunting properties
-State hunting properties
There is no way to pay a fee so you can hunt anywhere. Any piece of land has an assigned hunter, or more. The property owners can either hunt on the land themselves, if the land is big enough and hunting is viable, or they get grouped into hunting companies who collectively appoint a hunter to hunt on their territory. The state also appoints hunters for its own parks and shit.
If you want to shoot animals you have to ask one of the private land owners, may they be corporate or not, and make an arrangement so you are allowed to hunt there. The hunters are pretty much kings in their own areas and if you get caught armed in a hunting ground you arent allowed in its punished harshly and you can say hello to prison and goodbye to guns.
Often the hunters with hunting grounds group together into voluntary regional groups so plans can be made together and we can decide on what to hunt when, where the animals are allowed to rest, etc.

Becoming a good hunter takes time and youre advised to stick to older hunters at the beginning so you can learn everything. Hunters will know that the job is 95% caring for the animals and keeping your grounds healthy and 5% shooting.

Getting your hunting license on the other hand is easy. Takes 10 days. No hunter will look at you with that kind of knowledge and everyone acknowledge your presence. Completely justified as you learn jack shit in 10 days. Some course teachers are even allowed to do the test themselves at the end so pretty much everyone there passes.

"Real" hunting courses take at least a month and can go up to six months, depending on the speed of the course. At the end you are really prepared for hunting and at least know the basic stuff. /1
>>
There isn't anything good to hunt in Chile.

Basically the only large animals here are mountain lions and huemules, both of them endangered and protected from hunting. So that leaves you to shoot birds.
>>
>>28044417
For christmas, get nine deer skeletons and one human one to use as santa and his reindeer.
>>
Canada is pretty good, dad used to work as a guide out in B.C. He had all kinds of guys come out to hunt rams and bears, even from the U.S.
White tail and mule deer in Alberta, along with some elk. Newfoundland is mostly fuckin' ducks, there are moose but tags are on a draw so... good luck. Coyotes too, but where the hell aren't they?
>>
>>28047708
A passed hunting course allows you to buy:
-Unlimited rifles of all kinds except full auto
-Two/Three hand guns
-Silencers in Bavaria because the state is still somewhat sane here

Yes, its that easy to get a gun in Germany in ten days. The reason why not everyone just gets a license so they can have some home defense lying around at home is that:
-The population is not gun crazy, with all positives and negatives coming with that
-The license costs 600-3000€

The hunting itself depends on the hunters themselves and their personalities. Hunting is an upper class thing here so you might see the snobbiest parts of society, all running around with their Blaser and Svarowski, near the big cities where they and their friends have their hunting grounds, or you might see the relaxed village people if your in the deep Franconian Switzerland (not actually in Switzerland) who wont mind if you shoot a deer if you help with fixing the farming equipment or invite you to some community hunt because they have some space left, or you might see the completely inept and insane people of the Bavarian state hunt. Ask anyone and they will tell you that the state is less capable of handling a forest than a four year old.

It all depends on the people you deal with and since the hunters are almost kings in their domains, which have to kept for several years, you have to deal with them.

Forgot to mention:
-There is a limit on how much land a person can hunt so rich people cant buy up a whole county for themselves
-Young hunters are often belittled even when they have state of the art knowledge and know more than the old. Normal in every field since the beginning of time.
-If some foreigner wants to hunt here: The most important rule is that the animal is to be respected and the pain has to be kept at a minimal level. We dont kill so we can see animals suffer. Some, especially Americans, dont understand that rule....

Good night everyone
/2
>>
>>28047925
What an elitist European approach to hunting rights. Landowners here can grant hunting permission to anyone for any sized piece of land. My favorite bow hunting property is a 3 acre patch of woods between some houses. State land is open to whoever has a license and generally an additional public land permit but it's first come first serve each day and nobody has any rights to animals or hunting spots on public land.

Most states do require a hunters safety course and bag limits are tightly enforced.

Germany's system seems like a great way to keep hunting limited to the rich and guarantee that the culture will die with time.

I taught myself how to hunt and haven't had any bad experiences or broken the law. You don't need grandpa Adolf telling you how to shoot like he learned in Poland
>>
Any South Africans on here?
>>
>>28046251
was this photo taken in NZ?
>>
>>28047296
So what, they jump on to tire out the boar? That's pretty interesting.
>>
File: PA210190.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
PA210190.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28043712
>>28046251
I fucking Love living in NZ,

Grab Enfield
Remove Goat

Pest removal is a huge part of my hunting, Usually knocking off mobs of goats with an SKS, or blasting bunnies (sometimes up to 100 a day). I usually shoot 2-3 deer a year to keep the freezer stocked up. Get the odd pig now and then too

Out of the main city centers hunting is just a way of life. So you don't get all those dick swinging mossy oak wearing HUNNERS that seem to poison the American hunting image. Also majority of deer hunting is stalking with both rifle and bow. If you set up stands in trees and bait the deer in to you, you're usually considered a fuckwit.

This place is seriously a hunters paradise. You can get massive 20 point red stags on public land, but they're extremely clever and rather rare. You can pay to go on guided hunts on private property, which usually guarantees you a huge stag at a huge cost.
But seriously, Animal management is up to the individual, If you like hunting the land, you usually take only what you need.

Pic related, my old pig hunting dog
>>
>>28043712
It's free to hunt in the UK, no license required for any animal that isn't protected. There are restrictions on what you can use to hunt some animals, like you must use a rifle with expanding ammunition that is bigger than .22 and has more than a certain amount of foot/pounds of energy to hunt deer, and you can't hunt deer on Sundays (that's just an ancient law that was never repealed). You need permission from the land owner and obviously you must be allowed to possess whatever weapon you're using.
Rabbits and birds are popular because you can hunt them with shotguns, which are a lot easier to get than rifles.
For pest control you can use whatever you want provided you have the right licenses for the weapons and permission from the land owner. I have a friend who used to shoot rats in his back garden with a SPAS-12.
>>
File: IMG_0769.jpg (653 KB, 2073x1382) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0769.jpg
653 KB, 2073x1382
>>28049495
yeah, the south island.
ARs and suppressors can be had on a basic hunting/gun license and are pretty common.
>>
>>28043712
I would not say that El Salvador has a "hunting culture," but bird-hunting is more popular than I would have thought. Due to the number of lakes, "cacería de patos" (duck hunting) is available all over the small country.

Like a lot of third-world countries, the specific letter of the law is not as important as actual practice.

Under the law, foreigners can get a 30-day hunting permit called a "temporal" for a fee. In theory, you're supposed to send in a heap of detailed information about locations and intended species to the Environment Ministry, but in practice any guide can just get your papers for a modest fee.

The only really important thing is the arms import clearance before flying into the country, because you're dealing specifically with customs people at the airport.

The whole enterprise is somewhat risky because gangs often have territories near lakes and will ambush/murder people in order to steal their firearms (happens a lot with cops and even soldiers).

Also there is a small but persistent "cetrería" (falconry) culture.
>>
>>28049733
What's the bag limit on Hobbits?
>>
Apparently wolves are such a problem in Alberta Canada that we have a season where you can hunt them from a helicopter.
>>
>>28048232
>Germany's system seems like a great way to keep hunting limited to the rich and guarantee that the culture will die with time.
Actually we get more hunters every year. A lot of good normal people from all backgrounds, including women.

>I taught myself how to hunt and haven't had any bad experiences or broken the law.
So you basically knew shit about animals at the start. Did you know how to spot botflys and see the signs for rabies or know what kind of grass to plant near roads so animals dont eat there, or knew what boar you could shoot without kicking them out of synchronization at the time you first picked up a gun? No you probably didnt and you werent fit to hunt anything. You dont teach yourself hunting while hunting but before just as you learn medicine before you first operate a patient.

>You don't need grandpa Adolf telling you how to shoot like he learned in Poland

No but mentioning hunting as your first example shows that for you hunting is the same as shooting animals. For us hunting is keeping nature healthy and using the gun as a trimmer whenever nature grows a bit out of the normal here and there.

>Most states do require a hunters safety course

Well great, a safety course. That will help people to identify the age of a boar and learn about the life of fallow deer.
>>
>>28050334
lol kid I hunt to kill animals so i can eat them
>>
File: jämt4.jpg (85 KB, 659x318) Image search: [Google]
jämt4.jpg
85 KB, 659x318
Sweden has a very big hunting culture. Almost anyone in rural places owns a hunting rifle of some sort, mostly semis and bolt actions, more often than not chambered in 6.5x55 swedish which is a very nice round imo.
About 100.000 moose are shot each year, not sure about other animals, but I know the wolf population is kept low, and that boars, deer, reindeer(if you wanna piss of sami people) and bears are also hunted sometimes.
>>
File: Knugen.jpg (32 KB, 291x464) Image search: [Google]
Knugen.jpg
32 KB, 291x464
>>28050472
Did I mention the Swedish King tends to partake in the hunt?
Interesting article on it here
http://www.nordstjernan.com/news/traditions/764/
>>
>>28043712
My Canadian friend knew a guy who hunted moose with a knife.
>>
>Are there any countries with a hunting culture similar to the US?

No

That being said, there are a few euro countries with a remaining hunting culture, such as in France, which houses the largest number of hunters in Europe. Although it's clearly not the kind of culture you would want, a bunch of 70+ years old blind/deaf retards drinking until they are almost ready to pass out before going to hunt near villages, shooting at houses, road signs, cars, and occasionnally fellow hunters or passers-by, when they don't fall into a puddle and drown themselves because they are so drunk to get up.
They are huge fudd faggots

>hurr if there is no steel and wood it's not a useful weapon!
>durr your russian weapons are shit! you need overpriced italian guns to hit anything!
>you don't need no high capacity magazine (high capacity being more than 2 rounds) to hit an animal!
>picatinny rails are ugly and useless
>military calibers are evil, you need those specific ultra over priced civilian calibers!

Best part, those faggots and their lobby (yeah, because they still somehow have a lobby even though the numbers is decreasing steadily as they all die of old age or "accidents") agree with every gun ban as long as it doesn't target their hunting weapons. They think they are safe and don't feel concerned by the EU banning semi-auto "evil looking" rifles or handguns. They think that if they agree with everything, they'll get to keep their double barreled pieces of shit.

French hunters are the cancer of the gun community.
>>
>>28047296
That's pretty damn smart. And also pretty damn rad.
>>
>>28050334
>typical European elitism

You know Americans can learn things without an authority figure tightly controlling us the entire time. I grew up on a farm and I wasn't an idiot. Any dipshit can ID botflys and age/sex deer. Not to mention how easy it is to just call the DNR and get a packet on that years recommended food plot plantings and recommended sustainable harvest per plot of land.

And boars are a pest here. We hunt them to exterminate (which is something I'd expect a German to be very familiar with) their populations.

I hate to break it to you, my nazi brother, but American hunting culture is much richer, more egalitarian, and on a far greater scale than a handful of krauts smacking boar and chamois on a piece of land the size of city block
>>
File: IMG_20151114_215934.jpg (120 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151114_215934.jpg
120 KB, 540x960
>>28047708
>>28047925

As a person of German descent, and having visited Germany, I love the culture.

But fuck your hunting culture. Part cool, practical traditions, part elitist snobbery. Cant decide if I love it or hate it.
>>
>>28050334
I'm not sure why you're criticizing. We have possibly the most extensive and successful conservation and wildlife management systems in the world.
>>
File: whwd.jpg (85 KB, 700x369) Image search: [Google]
whwd.jpg
85 KB, 700x369
>>28049733
>>
>>28049825
>hunting with pistol grip shotgun
>Terminator/10
>>
>>28050471
>lol kid I hunt to kill animals so i can eat them
And we try to protect our environment while doing so.
>>28050757
>I grew up on a farm and I wasn't an idiot.
So did I.
>Any dipshit can ID botflys and age/sex deer.
Most people cant, even if they grew up in a rural area.
>which is something I'd expect a German to be very familiar with
Yeah, and shooting them wildly is just making it worse because it distorts the balance and makes the young females getting kids like crazy. Its like Detroit in some areas with inexperienced hunters.
>I hate to break it to you, my nazi brother, but American hunting culture is much richer, more egalitarian, and on a far greater scale than a handful of krauts smacking boar and chamois on a piece of land the size of city block
Thanks. That comment really changed my mind. Only thing that tops that argument is a smug anime face.
>>28051092
The US is large and its easy to protect nature in areas where humans arent living. Germany is small, full of people and needs experienced people to preserve nature.
>>
>>28043712

Filling kangaroos with lead very slowly with a pump action .22 is heaps of fun, let's be real.
>>
>>28046270
Is this so? Please get me in contact with someone who will let me remove swine kebab for free. Most people have realized how big hog hunting is getting and have started charging folks to come hunt their pigs. Most places are 100 to 200 a night and shit like that. But no one really does it for free anymore unless it's like your uncle or father in law or good buddy. Hog hunting is a big business now
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.