[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bow advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: recurve_Mongol_Khan_bow2.jpg (18 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
recurve_Mongol_Khan_bow2.jpg
18 KB, 800x532
Newfag, here,

I want to buy a bow as a gift for a buddy of mine and I need some advice.

I'd like it to be a 100lb bow, I know, I know, that's fucked up, thanks for your concern, but I am dead determined to be a 100lb bow, since I'd like it to be a surprise and neither me nor him understand too much about bows and their important properties, I thought I could ask you guys (inb4 buying that not being a good idea - I know, yet I am going to do it, anyway).

I want it to be an old-fashioned, preferably recursive, bow, so no pulleys, no recoil compensators and no targeting scopes or whatever. So, what should I look for when buying a bow and what makes a good bow? Apart from its strength, there are probably a ton of other stuff like arc radius, curvature, etc.

And if you guys know a place that sells decent bows at a reasonable price (eurofag, here) id appreciate it
>>
>>28042181
Dude nobody needs a 100lb bow to start off with. 50lb at the most. Get him a nice longbow or maybe a recurve horsebow. Youtube is your friend.
>>
>>28042208
Thank you for the input, but like I said - I am dead centered on a 100lb, despite it not being practical or whatever - my funeral.

I'd like to see if I can get experience advice from people, who understand the practice of shoting with a bow, so I can choose the most suitable one, as I've heard a person should choose a bow that is comfortable to him, by watching for certain aspects.
>>
>>28042181
>despite it not being practical or whatever - my funeral.
>100 lbs bow
so you WANT to hurt yourselves and fuck up your shoulders and back? This isn't a probable, this is a guarantee.
And not only will you guys laugh about it
>looool, wow man, this bow is tough, can't even pull it, LOL, you absolute madman!
But you either:
-hurt yourselves trying to pull that thing because unless the two of you guys row or know how to utilize your core into pulling a 100lb bow, you WILL hurt yourselves.

-Have 30 minutes of fun and never touch that 100lbs bow ever again because you will not be able to do anything with it.

So I guess it is your funeral, considering a 100lbs bow ain't cheap either.
>>
>>28042554
and also, f you ask any pro shooter or even hobby archers, they're all going to advice against you guys using a 100lbs as beginners bow.

This isn't a gun, you actually have to fully utilize muscle groups and form affects things much more than firearm shooting. Wrong form or incorrect usage will fuck up your body.
>>
Just buy him a 50lb bow and tell him it's a 100lb bow, how the fuck is he going to know the difference. Don't get your friend hurt dude. On that point, where's a good place to get a 50lb recurve bow?
>>
So... you want advice so you can ignore it? The advice is don't get a 100lb bow. If you're not going to listen to the advice given don't ask for it in the first place. What next.. gonna go over to /fit/ and ask how to squat 350lbs without messing with anything below 350 first? Can you do a 100lb single-arm row? That's going to recruit some of the same muscles, but in a different direction of motion.

Go to a shop and ask to draw the heaviest bow they have, THEN see what you think. Hell, most compounds top out at 70#, some 80#, and those are actually designed to be easier to draw than traditionals.

>>I've heard a person should choose a bow that is comfortable to him
100# isn't going to be comfortable for most people, let alone beginners.
>>
My first bow was ~80Lbs at 5feet 6ish inches long and about 30 inch draw. I had made it myself out of pvc and a heat gun. I had a buddy do the same but he made a thinner and easier bow. It was probably close to 45 or 50 lbs draw weight.
It was tough pulling mine but i kept doing it and gained the muscles needed to do it fast, reliably, and smoothly. Now I can use heavier bows and will being looking into what ever 100lb bow op finds for my own personal collection.
Fuck you "100lbs is too much you'll hurt yourself" faggots
>>
>>28042181
Finally, a thread where I can trip.

1) Why the -fuck- are you going for 100#? Most 100# bows are going to have to be custom ordered because that's just a fucking absurd amount of draw weight for any practical use of the bow.

Old fashioned? You mean traditional. Or maybe you mean primitive.

Compound: Cables, cams, aluminum or carbon arrows.

Traditional: Recurve, longbow, shortbow.

Primitive: Handmade, generally longbow or recurve.

I'm like 95% sure this is a troll, and 5% sure this is underage b& so...

>>28042838
3rivers is a great place to get traditional bows. If it's your first bow, I highly suggest a Samick Sage. Can't go wrong for the price.

>>28042890
Just a point here, not that your advice is wrong, but the draw on a compound is about the same as the draw on a traditional, but compounds have a weight release at full draw that makes holding it a fucking hell of a lot easier. But yeah no, this guy is a tard.
>>
>>28042924
Right, I'm so sure you made a bow out of just pvc and at 80# too! Totally not bullshit or anything. I bet you made your own arrows too, and were the best marksman in the world, got a deer your first time out bowhunting and with only a week of practice.
>>
>>28042181
>Newfag, here,
Kill yourself
>I want to buy a bow as a gift for a buddy of mine and I need some advice.
Ok
>I'd like it to be a 100lb bow
Kill yourself
>I know, I know, that's fucked up, thanks for your concern, but I am dead determined to be a 100lb bow, since I'd like it to be a surprise and neither me nor him understand too much about bows and their important properties, I thought I could ask you guys (inb4 buying that not being a good idea - I know, yet I am going to do it, anyway).
Kill yourself
>I want it to be an old-fashioned, preferably recursive, bow, so no pulleys, no recoil compensators and no targeting scopes or whatever. So, what should I look for when buying a bow and what makes a good bow? Apart from its strength, there are probably a ton of other stuff like arc radius, curvature, etc.
Google is your friend
>And if you guys know a place that sells decent bows at a reasonable price (eurofag, here) id appreciate it
Nope.
Fuck off.
>>
>>28042181
Google it. But really why do you need a 100# bow please tell us.
>>
>>28042181
>targeting scopes
>>
>>28042924
What arrows did you use for them 80# pvc bow you had? Pics?
>>
>>28042959
This is the guide I followed to make my 80lb pvc bow. I never hunter with it because I lived in a city. I was the better shot between me and my friend who also did archery. Having a trip doesn't make you cool, nor right all the time.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKqV9reA1M
>>
>>28043074
PVC bows are garbage, assuming you even did make it. And no, a trip doesn't make me right all the time, but years of experience in archery gives me an edge here.
>>
>>28043035
We just uses some cheap aluminum arrows from dicks or WalMart. The fletchings came off pretty quick.
Sorry never took pictures.
>>
>>28043103
The problem is that first you claimed I did not make a bow, regardless of quality. Then attempted to further discredit my statement by trying to make claims for me that I never said. It doesn't matter how many years of experience you have in archery it does not mean others can't do things you disagree with or have not done your self.

You are the fudd of archery.
>>
>>28043224
>making PVC abominations doesn't make you the fudd of archery
You sure about that?
>>
>>28043274
Lets take a look at what a fudd is...
Someone who only wants a bolt action for hunting.
Someone who despises people who try to do something that isn't what they do.

Making a bow out of PVC is the equivalent to making a pipe gun.
Fudds don't do that.
>>
But, like, why?
>>
>>28043467
At the time I was still only 19 and poor. The guide video I followed told me I could make a bow for less then $20. It was fun to make something even if it was low quality compared to other bows.
>>
>>28043514
Not you, you attention whoring fagotron.
>>
File: fit.jpg (508 KB, 1677x2550) Image search: [Google]
fit.jpg
508 KB, 1677x2550
>>28042890
>>
>>28042181

You're a dumb shit.

There are 100# recurves around, so on the off chance you find out where and still decide to blow the money on one, you should know a couple of things (for harm minimisation).

Don't draw it without an arrow in it. I have my doubts that you or your friend are able to hold a 100# bow for any amount of time during most of the draw cycle. If you let the string go without an arrow nocked, the bow will be likely destroyed and may very well fuck up whoever's holding it.

The other point is the arrows. If you go through with this, do not get shit arrows. Do not use wood arrows. DO get good quality carbon arrows with a minimum 300 spine, maybe even a 250 or 200. Arrows like this should at least not break when you try to shoot them. Fucking up on spine with a 100# bow could wind up putting half a splintered arrow through your hand.
>>
>>28042554
The problem is such a bow is going to be a specialty item it will be somewhat expensive. http://www.whitewolfarchery.com/ can do it as a custom order.

A longbow is my suggestion, they look nice on display.

I don't know why everyone is telling you not to buy a 100# bow, but I also don't know what the fuck arc radius and curvature are supposed to mean.
>>
>>28044710
He could mean length and degree of reflex/deflex/recurve? That's my best guess anyway.

As to why OP shouldn't buy an 100# bow, in no particular order: he might not even be able to string it or draw it (no experience/archery muscles), it'd be a vast waste of money, there are potential horrendous consequences if OP decides to go grab some cheap wooden arrows (especially if they're stock 32" or so and probably 400 spine or less), the risk of dry fire and potential injury, physical injury from trying to draw too much weight and OP and his friend will pretty much just develop bad form and not really get anywhere in archery.
>>
I'm a complete beginner at archery, am I supposed to take the bow string off when i'm not using it? Also any other tips for bow maintenence?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.