[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/omrades, I have a chance to be an officer in the Marines >have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: MARINES.jpg (218 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
MARINES.jpg
218 KB, 1024x681
/k/omrades, I have a chance to be an officer in the Marines
>have 2 years of Community College
>scored a 96 on P-ASVAB
>Recruiter says I should go in as an enlisted reserve and move into OCS
Is this a good idea? I wanted to get more opinons, I've done a lot of research but I wanted the opinions of some others
>>
Go straight to OCS. There's no reason for you to enlist.
>>
>>28042161
Were you talking to an enlisted recruiting officer or an OSO (officer selection officer)? I'm currently looking at the PLC program which is OCS broken into 2 sessions over the summers between college. In my opinion I think the PLC program is better as you could possibly get screwed over with enlisted reserve and contracts.
>>
>>28042161
DO NOT GO ENLISTED. They have a delayed entry program you can do. They pay for your college and you sign a contract that as soon as you finish you go into ocs (officer candidate school)
>>
I just finished an enlistment about 8 months ago. I can tell you that that's retarded as fuck. I actually know a couple guys that were enlisted and tried to go to ocs. The instructors made it nearly impossible for them bc they were enlisted and none of them made it. Every one of them that tried was an outstanding Marine by the way.
>>
>>28042265
it was an ERC, I never spoke to the OSO.
>>
>>28042310
The Mustangs I've talked to would probably agree with that statement. The number of marines that get picked up for MECEP is ridiculously low. Like stupendously low. And the MECEP guys I've met at my college were older marines who had some experience and were Gysgts and Ssgts
>>
File: 5.56.jpg (26 KB, 403x269) Image search: [Google]
5.56.jpg
26 KB, 403x269
>>28042161

I was a recruiter for two years and an armorer to Westover Reserve Base's USMC detachment for six years.

Your recruiter is a fuckbag liar. You do NOT need to enlist. Mustanging in the marine corps is hard a fuck. Go join the army and be a Warrant Officer, they'll have you flying a UH60 in a year.

Or do ROTC, DEP, ANYTHING but enlisting. When you're enlisted you get to be a boot ass E3 because you have an associates. You will be licking the boots of guys with no college education with the prospect of MAYBE getting into OCS IF you make cutting scores, which you will get fucked over with.

Why the FUCK would a man in your position enlist if he wants to be an officer. You aren't a 17 year old from a poor abusive family, this isn't your only option.

THINK for fuck's sake, anon. Ask your vet buddies if you have any, they won't fuck you around like the man being paid to fuck you around.
>>
>>28042322
Spend some time and talk with an OSO. They don't BS you like a recruiting office would because it's a different dyanamic with vetting out indiviuals.
>>
>>28042362
Also to add on to this, being a Lance Coporal sucks massive amounts of dicks. And by dicks I mean staff sergeant's dick.
>>
>>28042368
Ok, I was guessing that he was jerking me around.
They all try to sell me whatever line so sign I sign the Contract.
>>
>>28042411

May I have his office number or email? I would like to do something about this. I can promise you that I have more stripes than this greasy shitbag, and I think it's time he went back to Fleet.
>>
>>28042440
(630) 893-9100
>>
>>28042161
Finish college then go to ocs is your best option. My CO was going to write up a package for MECEP once he found out I had 6 hours for bachelors, but I decided to get out due to family health issues.

Seriously anon finish college then ocs.
>>
>>28042440
>>28042511
This is what gives me hope for the future of the Corps.
>>
>>28042440
Captain Crunch???
>>
>>28042530
Actually it's Lance Coporal Schmuckatelli.
>>
>>28042551
We had a recruit with the last name Sergeant, di's went ballistic on him. I wish I could have seen his superiors..." private sergeant"
>>
>>28042577
My sides.
>>
>>28042528
>>28042530
>>28042551

Left him a message. Will call him tomorrow for some man to man time. This is why we keep ending up with miserable boots that want to kill themselves or get kicked out as soon as they hit the fleet.

You can. Not. Lie to these young people like this. The fucking kid wants to come aboard and do something with his life and you're trying to throw him under the bus to advance your career and get that retardedly gay golden battleaxe to hang behind your desk.

This is unacceptable and on behalf of the Unites States Marine Corps I would like to apologize for this experience. Your recruiter's job is first and foremost to help you make an educated decision about your career, whether or not you become an applicant.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 300x214) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 300x214
>>28042680
I like you. Are you sure you're not Chesty Puller reincarnated? Or actually the marine version of pop eye?
>>
Man, that's what my recruiter tried to do. If you have college and scored well on ASVAB plus if you have any work experience, don't fall for the trap. Go directly into OCS if possible, make sure your recruiter does not fuck you out of your enlistment bonuses too.
>>
>>28042715

I'm an old man that has a lot of respect for any young person that wants to do something for someone that isn't them. It's just wrong how they still get away with the same shit they were pulling when I was a teenager. You shouldn't be getting fucked before you even get your first uniform.
>>
>>28042680
Thank you anon, I'm glad for men like you.
>>
>>28042161
Recruiters Lie. Get whatever he promises in writing, or don't sign
>>
File: Gen Chesty Puller USMC.jpg (2 MB, 1600x2000) Image search: [Google]
Gen Chesty Puller USMC.jpg
2 MB, 1600x2000
>>28042715

Goodnight Chesty, Wherever you are
>>
>>28042680
I salute you.
>>
Marine Officer here.

My advice is to not go enlisted. I have a Marine that enlisted after getting his degree. He is treated no better than any other lance corporal and it's not hard to see him slowly loosing all the hopes he had to do what your recruiter is suggesting. I'll be on for the next hour if you have any questions.
>>
>>28044956
I'm looking at going PLC and then Marine Aviation.
I'm a little worried about longer term career options, as I get the impression that the MC has more limited options for officers compared to other branches. I feel like it narrowed to nearly only command options. How many cross training options within Navy are there? I'm interested in MARSOC and SOCOM, and intelligence in general.
Finally, what is the culture like? I'm dedicated and would love to be an Officer of Marines, but I certainly won't be that super-moto guy. Basically, are people chill enough for me to fit in?
Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 600x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 600x305
>>28045219
Ok. PLC is a great way to go as you get paid to try out for the job. It's mortard bullshit, but it's the job interview, not the job.

The whole MARSOC/SOCOM thing is a different beast all together. Of the dudes I know there, they are a different breed all together. If you want an idea of what those dudes are about, give Level Zero Heros a read. Additionally, they accept Matines from any MOS to act as both operators and enablers.

I am an 0203, so I did the whole Infantry thing before going through some sniper and Intel school. It's nice in that I have a extremely high retention rate past captain, but it sucks that I don't get into the field as much as I'd like. I spend 98% doing analysis of open source information and generating products (PowerPoint) for grunts who usually don't carry because they drank the "I R grunt" kool-aid too much (can be just as bad as being a motard)

As for culture, it really depends on your command, you bosses mood that day, and the time and place. I'm pretty chill with my Marines, but there is a time and place for being more uptight and a time for being a bro.
>>
>>28045378
Thanks.
If something goes wrong with my eyes or something, I would go with something related to Intel. 0203 sounds good, is there anything else I should know about? How difficult is it to be a MAGTF?
>>
>>28042161
get a real job
>>
>>28042770
You seem alright.

I'm considering enlisting in the Marines in the near future depending on how things go in the next few months. Currently 22 with no college (I know, but I didn't want to drop a shitload on something I didn't want to do) and married to a navy brat.

Any advice? I kinda want to do 03xx even though I know it's shit. Otherwise I've considered going Navy as HM and hoping for FMF. I'm currently trying to get into a nursing program but if things don't go my way I'm not sitting around another year scraping by on $10/hr. My only major concern is getting stuck in california or somewhere nogunz as fuck. Should I just consider the navy reserve as a FMF HM at this point?
>>
>>28046632
0311 Fag here, don't do it.You'll get to the fleet and waste four years of your life with mediocre training and leadership that fucks Marines over.
>>
>>28042384
True Story
>>
>>28042161
Actually good advice on /k/ tonight. Take it from a Marine who believed the lies about Mustanging. Don't enlist bro
>>
>>28042265
Yo, I'm considering PLC too - I'm a sophomore in college rn, but will probably just do it my junior year for 10 weeks as opposed to two summers for 6 weeks. It seems easier to do it all in one summer, no?
>>
>>28047842
Alright, what do you recommend then? Navy reserve corpsman and hope for FMF? Can I get FMF as a reservist? I was told y a recruiter I could but I don't exactly trust them 100%
>>
My family is split pretty evenly between officers and enlisted.
Everything from an army bird colonel to a navy E1.
They all told me the same thing when I tried to join.
DON'T ENLIST!!!

Lucky for me I'm medically ineligible for service.
>>
26 years old with currently very minimal college experience.
What're chances of me getting in when I'll have a degree at like 29 or some old ass age? Age waivers and all that.
>>
>>28050613
Oops. If it wasn't clear I mean OCS. Wondered of USAF or Army ROTC in college goes anywhere for Marines as well.
>>
>>28050613

I think you have to be under 28 at time of enlistment for OCS and under 29 at time of enlistment for enlisted. Thats what the marines website says. Maybe you could enlist when youre 27, finish college then start OCS but i dunno
>>
>>28042511
Not him, but I've had issues trying to come back in. Thanks. SSgt what's-his-nuts answered, gave me contact info for the right office.

Thanks again.
>>
>>28045671
Ground Intel officers go through the Infantry Officer Course, then Scout Sniper Unit Leader course, finishing with Intel school. All other intels go straight to the Intel schoolhouse.

Once you become a senior captain, you go back to Intel school and become a MAGTAF Intel Officer. Ground Intel makes you work harder for the same end state. It's a kick in the balls in that you learn how to do so much more than you probably ever will as an Intel guy.
>>
>>28045219
Fly helos and blow mudslimes up. Maybe. Probably not. But maybe
>>
>>28049231
I've heard that the two sessions are better in case of an injury. Also, I hear that the first of two sessions is chill because they want you to come back for the second. The 10 week one they know you're in it already so they're a bit harder on you. I'm in your same shoes, I personally would prefer to get it all over at once, and keep my other summer free. My OSO is making it seem like the two summers is the standard.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.