[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Antique firearms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: antique.jpg (60 KB, 1300x825) Image search: [Google]
antique.jpg
60 KB, 1300x825
What are some affordable pre-1898 guns and non-cartridge ammunition that /k/ recommends for self defense?
>>
Damn. Someone beat me to it. All are already listed.
>>
File: piettaconfederatenavy1851.png (111 KB, 786x574) Image search: [Google]
piettaconfederatenavy1851.png
111 KB, 786x574
>>28040967

>>28041261
0/10
>>
>>28041293
>brass frame
>no

But I did just shoot my 1860 replica this weekend. Really fun. Definately could kill someone.
>>
>>28040967
1. Are you a canadian who is too lazy to get their PAL or RPAL?

2. If so, you're either looking to buy A) guns so cheap they are dangerous to fire, or B) actual valuable antiques. SO yo uhave to choose between potentially blowing your hand off or dropping at least 1000$ on a firearm.

3. Antique firearms can potentially have obsolete ammunition that is either hard to find or impossible to find. An example would be pinfire rounds, which require a 200$ reloading set.

4. It'd probably be easier to just get your PAL so you can either buy a 300$ 29 inch SxS shotgun, or legally personally manufacture a firearm that is at least 26 inches in length. Or buying an old shotgun and trimming the barrel down to 18-18.5 inches, while making sure the overall length is greater than 26 inches.
>>
>>28041911
Additionally, flare guns are only considered firearms when used in the commission of a crime.

I just ordered an old slav surplus one, and when it arrives, I am going to measure the chamber length, barrel thickness with aluminium 12 gauge insert, and break action catch sturdiness to see if it can feasible be used as a single shot shotshell pistol.

From the RCMP
>Flare guns and other devices designed exclusively for signalling or notifying of distress, and intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person in possession of it, are not classified as firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act. A licence is not required to possess one, and it does not have to be registered. These devices are classified as firearms for purposes of the Criminal Code if they are used to commit a crime.

Now, that is a weird thought. You have a flare pistol with a 12 gauge insert in one pocket, and a 12 gauge shotshell in the other. No crime, this is not illegal in any way.

You're at the bank or some shit, and a firearmed gunman takes you all hostage. You secret load the shotshell and shoot the guy, in self defence fearing for your life. You only carried the falre pistol because you fear getting lost, a paranoid thing, talk to my family, and I just happened to have the shotshell. I never INTENDED for this to happen, it is just the way the scenario played out. Was a crime commited officer, or can I still have my intended to be used as a signalling device but just so happened to be used in another manner that was not technically a crime, officer?
>>
>>28041293
This
>>
>>28041995
>just happened to have the shotshell

yeah I don't think so
>>
>>28041712
Yeah I wouldn't recommend the brass frame either. I posted this since it's $150 since OP was asking for affordable. Still highly usable though, you just have to do a much lower powder load.

Also I got the 1860 myself last week. Can't wait to take this thing out, can't help but feel like I should have got an 1858 with a 4.5" barrel though.
>>
>>28042088
PROVE IT PIG

MY DAD GAVE ME THAT SHELL WHEN HE DIED SAYING IT HAD MY NAME ON IT AND AS LONG AS I HAD IT ON ME I COULDN'T BE KILLED.
>>
>>28042143
I had a blast shooting it. Loading it was a lot of fun as well. Cleaning wasn't so bad. Overall happy and fun. They have no crack like modern supersonic ammo, really cool sound when it fires. And you kinda feel like a gunslinger. 10/10
>>
>>28041293
I bought one, it's pretty good. I'm gonna try some paper cartridges soon. You get what you pay for though. The trips on mine are a bit bigger than they should be and there is some excess metal (burrs) left over from the machining. It takes an a couple of hours to fix. I got mine for $109 on black Friday. Solid 8.5/10
>>
File: DSC_0273.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0273.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Snider
>>
>>28040967
>affordable pre 1898
you're looking at a lot of 32s&w and 38s&w revolvers, some good and most fucking dogshit terrible to begin with then subjected to the last 117+ years with an electrical tape grip nestled next to some niggers dick. expect timing issues, major finish loss, potential for broken parts, pitted bores, and expensive ammo

also a fuckton of pinfire and large caliber rimfire firearms. .32rf was a common small revolver caliber here and in europe. many french and other continental "bicycle guns" are in a defunct centerfire .22 caliber chambering, if not a pinfire caliber.

they run from dirt cheap (pawn shop quick sale price) to le happy merchants on gunbroker who are trying to sell to tinfoils and criminals who know about pre 1898 nonfirearms.

the advantage to ^ is self enclosed ammunition. if you have the cash, there are plenty of early s&w and colt designs in calibers like .38s&w, .44russian, .22L, etc. that are in operable condition and are serviceable, impeccably made revolvers.

or you can buy bp.
remington 1858>coltshit
>quick change cylinders
>solid frame with topstrap
>cylinder notches so you can carry it hammer down on 6 loaded and capped chambers
>better at dealing with caps in the mechanism
>easy to disassemble and clean- breaks down into 3 pieces in under a minute with one skrewdriver to get the grips and loading level off the frame.
>>
>>28041712
>>28042143
Black powder noob here, what's wrong with the brass frame?
>>
>>28042461
Can't handle as much powder in the load, and from an aesthetics standpoint it will never clean up to the point where it's looking new again.
>>
should I buy a "zulu" shotgun guys? 12ga 2.75" chamber but little gamey looking. it isn't a rare one with the brass snider action, but I think it has a barrel band.

any problem firing it with normal loads or should it be treated as blackpowder cowboy loads only? what about making cowboy load slugs and such?
>>
>>28042459

You are correct except for these two points
>cylinder notches
Modern colt repros have cylinder notches as well.

>easy to disassemble and clean
Just as easy with the colt

Everything else you are correct, though there are some modifications you can do to keep caps from falling into the action.
>>
>>28042514
dropping the loading lever and tugging the basepin is a lot quicker than tapping out a crossblock, removing the barrel, and removing the cylinder. with a good repro and enough cylinders you can get quite a rate of fire going with one 1858. Best thing about pietta pistols is that replacement cylinders cost a whopping $60. it's mag cheap.
>>
>>28042514
What modifications? Wouldn't mind doing them to my 1860 if they don't change the look too much.
>>
>>28042559
You don't even have to tap out the arbor wedge once it's worn in. You just push on it with your thumb and pull it out.

Having a full frame and a cylinder pin would be easier and being able to swap out cylinders without juggling the barrel, arbor, and the empty cylinder is definitely a benefit though.

Trust me I'd take the 1858 any day, but there really isn't any difference in how easy it is to dissasemble, just reloading.
>>
>>28042567
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrM7TE9eJI

You'll need to take it to a gunsmith, but this is probably the easiest one.
>>
>>28042483
Ah right, thanks.
>>
>>28042638
And they never used brass revolvers during that time period except for a very small amount. So buying a brass revolver cause "that's how they done it back then" is factually incorrect. Looks pretty though!
>>
>>28041293
Get the Remington 1858. Top strap, safety notches, cylinder change out is easy. It's just a better gun.
>>
Why doesn't anyone make pepperbox reproductions? Pepperbox pistols were double action and fairly small. They'd still be decent "non firearm" carry pieces today.
>>
>>28042662
Also it's chambered in .44 cal which it was actually chambered in .36 cal.
>>
>>28042628
Thanks for the video. But I probably won't shoot enough to do that.
>>
File: 8648652_2.jpg (48 KB, 800x464) Image search: [Google]
8648652_2.jpg
48 KB, 800x464
>>28042662
historically there were quite a few brass revolvers made.
>>
>>28042681
because they fucking sucked and were inferior in every way to colt and remington patents.

the better question to ask is "why aren't there common reproductions of DA/SA and cocking assisted percussion revolvers" I want a DA starr revolver and a .36cal cooper pocket doubleaction at the $250-500 price point of an 1890 or 1858

>>28042713
not .36 or .44 caliber full frame revolvers. 22short derringers with brass frames are a different time and different build requirements
>>
>>28042757
Pepperboxes didn't really suck. They weren't terribly accurate, but they were certainly lethal at close range and easy to use.
>>
File: BP_Rem_part.jpg (342 KB, 1072x712) Image search: [Google]
BP_Rem_part.jpg
342 KB, 1072x712
I have both a Colt 1851 "Navy" and a Remington 1858 repros (Pietta) in .36
I prefer the 1858 for personal reasons :
faster to clean, I just pour hot water in the barrel and the frame, then put it in a pan with dish washing liquid, make it boil for 10 min.
main spring is easy to take apart, on the 1851 this bitch is always under tension, on the 1858 there is a screw to relieve tension
1858 is more precise but the finish is better (pricer than the 1851)
it's very easy to get the cylinder out to load it, I use a small press to get consistent reloading.
>>
>>28042662
The CSA used them but only because they were poorfags.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.