[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /k/ I've shot a number of guns before, mostly different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: pewpew.jpg (212 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
pewpew.jpg
212 KB, 300x449
Hello /k/

I've shot a number of guns before, mostly different calibers of pistols, but I've been very interested in bows for a long time now, and I'm planning on getting one within the next 2 or 3 months. However, I've never shot one, or even seen someone shoot one (in person).

Where do I begin? What should I look for in a bow and training as a complete beginner?
>>
What kind of bow we talking here op?
>>
Start off with a recurve bow. Get a half dozen arrows, a finger tab, and a bale of hay to shoot in the back yard

Learn with recurve

then ask your Local Pro Archery Shop about getting a Compound bow. That is something that absolutely has to be sized to fit you.
>>
in my experience mathews is a fucking great bow company. bear archery makes good bows too.
>>
File: 6185504922_c1aa5b464a_z.jpg (259 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
6185504922_c1aa5b464a_z.jpg
259 KB, 640x427
>>28034708
Buy a good entry level bow (PSE is my recommendation) with the ready to shoot kit. You can find them everywhere from amazon to cabelas. Most kits come with a three pin sight, so you'll want to adjust your pins to probably 10, 20, and 30 yards. Start at ten and shoot till you're getting good groupings, then move to 20. Keep practicing until shooting is second nature. There is a formula for your draw length that I can't remember off the top of my head. Do a quick google because most places will adjust it before shipping. Draw weight is ideally between 65-70 lbs, but depending on your body type you may need to go 60 lbs.

In addition to the bow, you'll also need a mechanical release. Don't cheap out on this, get a good one. It will provide a smooth trigger pull as well reduce the likelihood of accidents.

You'll need to get arrows. Buy a good set for hunting and another cheaper set for target. Carbon fiber are best, don't buy aluminum. Make sure your good arrows and practice arrows are of equal grain. Also keep in mind that they do not usually come pre-cut. DO NOT TRY TO CUT THEM YOURSELF. Take it to a sporting goods store and they'll cut them for you for cheap. You need a special saw to carbon fiber arrows without shattering it sending shrapnel everywhere. You'll also have to glue your tips in, most two-part epoxies work well.

Finally you'll need target points and broadheads. Like your arrows, make sure they are of equal grain.
>>
File: DSC_0034.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0034.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
My recommendation is the diamond infinite edge pro. Good bow and more accurate then me for now.
>>
>>28034898
I was thinking a compound, but again, I have no experience with any, so if recurve is better then that is good too
>>
>>28035067
You don't want a recurve bow, especially being new to bows. There is a reason compound bows are extremely popular.
>>
>>28034959
Are there any reliable ones for under 300? I know that quality and price increase together, I've just been curious about this.

Do arrows get dull after a while? Should I buy multiple sets to begin with, or just stick with just one or two sets?

What targets do you prefer? A close friend of mine has a ranch that I can shoot on, so other than losing the arrows in the woods surrounding it (if I really mess up my aim), there's nothing that will be around me - I just don't want to pay to go to a range
>>
>>28034959
>you'll also need a mechanical release
if you're a huge faggot, yeah.
if your bow has a fucking trigger, you're doing it wrong.
>>28035067
for fun, I like recurve the best.
for accuracy or hunting, compound is generally better. But when you start getting to overly complicated shit, I feel like it really takes away from what a lot of people who shoot bows are looking for, and you might as well just use a gun.
>>
>>28035126
What's wrong with using recurve if you're new to bows?
>>
>>28035151
Compound bows are designed to be fired with a mechanical release. It provides an infinitely smoother release. You're the recurvefag, I get it. You're the fucking hipsters of the archery world.
>>
>>28035208
you drive automatic too, right?
>>
>>28035146
>Are there any reliable ones for under 300? I know that quality and price increase together, I've just been curious about this.

If you're going to buy a good bow, even at entry level, expect to spend a minimum of $600 after you buy everything you need. PSE makes good entry bows and as >>28035041 said, Diamond does as well. High end bows like Mathews can run $900-1000 barebones.

>Do arrows get dull after a while? Should I buy multiple sets to begin with, or just stick with just one or two sets?

Your target points will dull somewhat but that doesn't really matter since you'll be shooting at foam. Broadheads will also dull if used a lot but most can either be resharpened or new blades can be bought. If you buy online, arrows are generally sold in 6 and 12 packs. I would buy six good ones for hunting and six decent ones for practice. Don't just buy two or three arrows for practice because you'll spend more time retrieving arrows than actually shooting.

>What targets do you prefer? A close friend of mine has a ranch that I can shoot on, so other than losing the arrows in the woods surrounding it (if I really mess up my aim), there's nothing that will be around me - I just don't want to pay to go to a range

Any foam block target is all you need. Most have different sized targets on each side.
>>
>>28035230
No, I have a 5-speed Tacoma. Regardless of your opinion, mechanical releases are far superior to finger shooting. Fact.
>>
>>28035166
It takes significantly longer to master while providing no advantages in comparison to a compound bow.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.