[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
question for navyfags A friend of mine said it would be really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: 2-bob-hope.jpg (49 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
2-bob-hope.jpg
49 KB, 600x400
question for navyfags

A friend of mine said it would be really easy for someone to sneak onboard a docked boat and set off munitions stored aboard assuming he had a supply of blasting caps (the type you can buy online). He suggested that an organization like ISIS would use this sort of tactic. Any validity to this or is he just speaking out of his ass?
>>
I think he's speaking out of his ass.
But anyways:
- I don't think its going to happen on any sort of big, important ship with tons of explosives on board... which is just carriers, and anything that carriers aircraft bombs in general

- gun ships aren't in service anymore, so setting off small caliber ammo isn't going to be anywhere near threatening for the ship

- if the ship does for some reason suffer enough damage to sink... well, it's docked. Loss of life will be minimal, it'll just hit the bottom and sit there while people safely evac to the harbor.

Worst case scenario they hit some cargo ship full of ammo, but those are well guarded I'd hope - or at least, more guarded than a civilian cargo full of chemicals, which would be a much better target.

So really I don't see it happening.
>>
>>28034183

The idea would be to disable/sink the ship and destroy whatever's onboard, not necessarily killing people. His idea was that it would be some sort of transport ship and not a carrier. But you bring up a good point about civilian ships, there's at least twenty or thirty major explosions/disasters that are fertilizer ships blowing up.
>>
It's probably very easy if you had some inside knowledge & were willing to die doing it
>>
File: ayyitsthenavy.jpg (141 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ayyitsthenavy.jpg
141 KB, 1280x720
Okay, being a Navyfag I can tell you that it would be very difficult to board a U.S. Navy ship especially in a foreign port. While I can't tell you details, there are a lot of safety measures involving ordinance in particular that would prevent someone from just walking aboard and fucking with it.
>>
>>28034300

what about a domestic port/facility? I myself have trespassed (bow hunting hogs) on navy property in California without security bothering me (despite hopping fences)
>>
>>28034082
Ex Navy fag here. Half of people that stand the armed watches don't pay attention to shit when they patrol the topside of the ship. Some of the new guys do because they know no better, but the more experienced ones get lazy etc. So there is the potential to sneak on without being noticed just depends on the people guarding the ship and the time. Best time would he during watch turn over. Anyways onto destroying the explosives onboard, very unlikely because all the spaces with ordinance are locked, so unless he got the duty gunners mates keys and knew the locations and then didn't get detected by the crew onboard then it could be slightly possible.
>>
>>28034344
There's watch standers 24/7, plus intrusion alarms
>>
>>28034344
Bases stateside have very recently been taking security a whole lot more seriously due to recent events and hopping fences into a government facility is a federal offence and you would likely get shot on sight at least now-adays. 2 sailors got arrested for hopping the fence at my base after the gate closed and they are serving time...
>>
Oh and probably the biggest thing, for pretty much anyone who hasn't been in the Navy, you would likely just get lost trying to find the ordinance and end up in the galley.
>>
>>28034387

True, I really was pushing my luck. Not going to name where I was doing it at but it was a pretty "quiet" place, I think it's where the navy moves waste in and out of (they had a much better walled off "inner perimeter" compared to the "outer" fenced area I was shooting hogs in).
>>
>>28034407

>go into the galley
>shit into a pot
>nobody notices it for a week, causes black mould
>cook thinks another crew member did it
>cue everyone getting NJP'd because they "won't break the code of silence" or some shit
>$150,000 cleanup
>>
You can't just walk right up to a USN ship and set off explosives that is ridiculous.
>>
>>28034488

>>$150,000 cleanup

this is the navy, the cleanup alone would cost $1,500,000 at least and $150,000,000 worth of equipment would have to be idled during it
>>
>>28034488
>>28034514

When I was a kid my dad who was a naval officer walked me around the boat he was on, I was bored so I took a shit on someone's bunk since he had left me alone to go do something. Nobody ever found out I did it.

looking back he was probably already breaking some sort of policy bringing me onboard, it was a weekend and it was a small boat

just thought I'd share
>>
>>28034507
Specifically because of the Cole we have changed a lot of the procedures and will actually now follow through with the "Hey if you don't stop approaching the ship we will take you out with the 50cals." threat.
>>
>>28034507

>You can't just walk right up to a USN ship and set off explosives that is ridiculous.

Technically they floated right up.

So yes you still can't walk right up and set off explosives.
>>
>>28034514

>$150,000,000 worth of equipment would have to be idled

let's think about this for a moment, the following would have to happen:

1. said boat would have to be quarantined as a health hazard (muh OSHA)
2. said crew would have to be transferred somewhere else
3. another, special cleanup crew would have to come in and actually clean it up
4. said crew would have to be given special equipment for it
5. also a replacement boat and crew for whatever the original boat was supposed to be doing

this is more like $1,500,000,000 when all is said and done
>>
>>28034598

don't forget the after-action CBO report on it and the mandatory study on "toilet training and safety effectiveness for navy staff" and a new toilet-training program for all staff that can't pass a toilet utilization skills (TUS) exam
>>
>>28034624
Do I need a senior enlisted to sign my potty PQS?
>>
>>28034542
People bring their family on board all the time. You're not special.
>>
>>28034598
>$1,500,000,000
Just buy a new ship, then.
>>
>>28034642

always and they also have to have a toilet safety instructor's license and you have to get your TUS renewed every 48 months or every time you have a TUS failure (this includes off duty TUS failures, like getting so drunk you piss yourself in a jail cell)

all TUS exams must be conducted in the presence of a licensed instructor using a standard-issue uniform and standard-issue exam toilet chair. The examee's fecal matter is returned to him in a special, custom made plastic fecal containment device (FCD) that only one company in nowhere, nebraska makes. If the fecal matter cannot fit inside a single FCD then multiples can be used, with the examee being billed. Urine TUS exams are provided by an outside civilian contractor
>>
>>28034183
wasnt the Arizona docked when it went down?
>>
>>28035459

Bomb penetrated the deck and set off the ammunition below it.
>>
>>28034082
http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-pentagons-loopholes-big-enough-fly-bomber-through-14455
>>
>>28034082
It's not that easy, ISIS. Any base with ships will have a lot of armed security ie base cops. Every ship has its own armed watchstanders. The ammunition is kept in locked magazines, you would need to know where the keys are or have a cutting torch to get through, which would be retarded because explosives are stored on the other side of that steel door. Each magazine has its own key, so even if you get every single key, you would have to try each one on each lock, which would take a fuck long time, and they aren't all stored together.
>>
>>28034717
Can't wait till India tries this
>>
>>28036854
Kek
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.