[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UAV general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: reaper_landing.jpg (169 KB, 800x383) Image search: [Google]
reaper_landing.jpg
169 KB, 800x383
What are the pros and cons of drones vs manned aircraft? Is the Reaper currently the "top dog" of killer drones, given that Australia is buying them? Are there any jobs which can NEVER be done by drones? Also, the USA seems to be the biggest user of military drones, by far. Have Russia/China had any success in building similar aircraft?
>>
File: asfe.png (84 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
asfe.png
84 KB, 5000x5000
Check the image for my opinion
>>
Pros
>Nobody dies or gets captured if it crashes
>Operators can get up to eat or take a piss or even rotate with another crew, meaning longer missions are possible
>(if satlink == true), streamlined kill chain since command can just look at the screens themselves
>(if satlink == true), operators get to go home at night
Cons
>Cost (vs. actually comparable aircraft)
>Situational awareness for the crew themselves (not to commanders, obviously)
>Vulnerable to electronic attack (usually)
>Unreliable as shit
>Pilots don't really get the glory they joined the Chairforce for
>>
Slightly off topic, but I've seen a RC reaper drone on sale. very tempted to buy one, then circle it over a place occupied by Allah's own. To see the reaction, pretty sure I'd get arrested though.
>>
>>28028892
The Future is Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930HcUeUCrU
>>
So, MQ-1C operator here. Also RQ-7B qualified. Ask me stuff, I guess. I'll do my best to answer.
>>
>>28030269
How salty is liberal tears?
>>
>>28028892
Yes, reaper drones are currently the worlds top dog for a general purpose ucav.

>Are there any jobs which can NEVER be done by drones?

Currently? Yes, of course. Air superiority, CAPs, etc.

>Have Russia/China had any success in building similar aircraft?

Russia, basically no. Same with china (exception below). Both airforce's doctrines are behind the times, to be frank.

The exception with china is they export more capable UCAVs than they employ. Why? I have no idea. Their drones are still much worse than western drones.

>>28028925
Costs for drones, both maintance and personal, is cheaper.
>>
>>28030320

Funny thing, we had a bunch of congressional people come look over our program. We engaged a mock SCUD for them and they were all pretty impressed except one chick that was like, "How do you know there weren't children playing on that?!"

Uh... Because it's on a range and we put it there. And if it was real life, that's what kids get for playing on a SCUD? How is it any different than having an Apache shoot it? Idgi
>>
>>28030379
Should have pointed at the feed and said "do you see any children playing on the 4 ton russian military vehicle?"
>>
>>28030350
Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but drones with comparable capabilities to fixed wing aircraft are ridiculously expensive. The RQ-4 for example costs 224 million flyaway.

Additionally they won't perform too well in a contested aerial environment.

General fun fact for the thread: the last dogfight the US took part in was between an RQ-1 and an Iraqi MiG-25. The Predator fired a stinger at the MiG, before being quickly blatted by an R-40.
>>
>>28030379
Do operators frequently get a higher killcount than America's greatest hero, Chris Kyle?
>>
>>28030379
Do you guys interact with air force UAV guys?
>>
>>28030405
Arguing with stupidity is an exercise in futility.

>>28030428
No. Though most operators will get an engagement or two during a rotation. It totally depends on where your AO is.
>>
>>28030436

Not so much. Only really in the airport environment or when you're in the stack for a JTAC or something. They're really pushing for teaming with Apaches now though. Lasing for them or vice versa. Basically replacing the Kiowa.
>>
>>28028892
Pros: no pilot onboard
Cons: no pilot onboard
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.