[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noob
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1911.jpg (598 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1911.jpg
598 KB, 800x533
Hello /k/, random eurofag here,

I want to buy a handgun for recreational purposes (I'd like to ride down to a shooting range and fire some rounds just for keks).
What would be a good handgun to start with?

I'm currently drawn towards the iconic 1911-style and the Walther PP style pistols.
Or should I go for a revolver because they're supposed to be easier and more "reliable"?

Also any advice?

PS. I never shot a gun before. I'm currently enrolled in the necessary procedures.
>>
see if any ranges rent guns out, also i would go with someone who has experience with guns as well or take a class or something
>>
File: 1441587493072.jpg (67 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1441587493072.jpg
67 KB, 1024x768
Get whatever is appealing for you
If it's just for fun, do it for fun
Try to test a few guns is you can first
What country ?
>>
>>28023075
I have an ex-military bud.
He'd teach me a few things but I'll take an initiation workshop first.
I'm pretty sure "renting" weapons is not allowed over here.
>>28023093
Belgium
Is there much difference in caliber size? Obviously I would take something popular but does it pay off the buy (for example) a .22 design for cheaper cartridges?
>>
>>28023064
A .22 or a 9mm will be cheaper to feed. If you think you may ever use it for defense then go with 9mm.

.357 is the best all-around if you ask me because you can shoot very low pressure 38 special or full power .357magnum. Thus is good for plinking, learning, hunting and defense.
>>
>>28023064
OP here.
I do have semi-weak arms. Is recoil/pushback connected to caliber size?
Would a .22 be easier to fire than a 9mm?
>>
Chose a gun that fits your style of shooting ex. don't buy a .44 if you're scared of recoil

Other than that, I would personally recommend a smaller caliber like .380 or 9mm because ammo is relatively cheap and easy to find, the recoil is generally pretty easy on your wrists, and there are a lot of choices in models such as 1911 styles, Walther ppk, etc.
>>
>>28023212
There is no strength requirements. My 8 year old was shooting my .357.
>>
>>28023212
.22 has no recoil, 9mm has some pop

9mm recoil isn't bad though, I am a hungry dr. skellington w/toothpick arms and i shoot 9mm just fine

if the range will let you rent guns, get a 9mm, .40sw and .45 acp and try them out in that order.
>>
>>28023276
Educate them while they're young I guess.
>>28023308
>>28023226
>>28023182
>>28023093
>>28023075
Thanks guys.

I did not expect /k/ to be this friendly
>>
>>28023212
Hey OP, I wouldn't necessarily say recoil is relative to bullet size, it more about how the rounds are loaded pressure-wise. Higher pressure means higher recoil in most cases. Either way, .22 recoil is next to nonexistent and 9mm recoil is easily manageable. My 65 year old aunt can shoot 9mm all day and not have any hand pain afterwards
>>
>>28023343
Could you explain/link this pressure thing?
I assume different 9mm's still have slightly different recoils?
>>
>>28023343
true

the weight of the gun also makes a big difference in the recoil. A heavy all-metal piece like a beretta 92fs will have less recoil than a lighter polymer piece like a glock 17, even though they are both full-size service pistols.

automatics will usually have less recoil than revolvers, because the slide can absorb some of the energy.
>>
>>28023448
when choosing ammo, some will be hot-loaded (lots of powder) and others will be soft-loaded (less powder).

the range will probably give you plain winchester or federal fmj, so don't worry about powder until you start buying your own ammo
>>
>>28023448
http://www.massreloading.com/reading_pressure_signs.html

Like the article says, bullet weight is a bigger factor than pressure, but pressure is still a relevant factor in recoil. If you shoot a normal .38sp round you'll find that it has less recoil than a +P over pressure round
>>
>>28023448
See
>>28023483
>>
>muh 1911
>muh 357

Get a standard 9mm in compact, stop acting like your some kind of special snowflake needing a meme gun.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.