[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rotating vs Tilting Bolt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 849x623) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 849x623
Hello /k/, nogunz /his/torian here. Could you please tell me the main differences between the two guns' bolts (tilting vs rotating)? I heard that the AK 47's rotating bolt was very similar to that of the Garand? How did this affect the guns characteristics? Which one was better?
>>
Nobody?
>>
>>28020633
titing bolt gun vibrate uncontrolable in fullauto because the lock and unlock action
because of this the MP-44 shoot a under power round

rotaing bolt have a much more smooth unlock antion

Garand use a two locking lug bolt, with bigger bolt face, first Kalashnikov use a two locking lug bolt with small bolt face, AK-46 and AK47 use a two locking lug bolt, with bigger bolt face. yes the AK bolt is similar to Garand

>Which one was better
rotating bolt, every modern rifle use rotating bolt
>>
File: 1397973470011.gif (3 MB, 400x177) Image search: [Google]
1397973470011.gif
3 MB, 400x177
>>28020737
>>28020633
Albeit similar to a garand the actions were and are still unique from eachother.
>>
>>28020633
Rotating bolts have lugs that ride in journals. As the bolt closes the journals force the bolt to turn until the bolt and bolt carrier are fully seated. Tilting bolts, like an SKS's, have lugs that drop down into recesses cut into the receiver.
I dont think that one would perform much better than the other, but im no expert. The only difference I can imagine is that tilting bolts are easier to clean as there are less hard-to-reach places compared to a rotating bolt.
>>
>>28020784
Journals?
>>
File: 1419325263540.gif (1 MB, 280x212) Image search: [Google]
1419325263540.gif
1 MB, 280x212
>>28020633
>>28020737
>>28020779

Also check out this video it goes in depth with the stg44 https://youtu.be/Ob6Odw9PNMs
>>
>>28020799
You know, I'm not exactly sure why journal was the first word to come to mind. Does channel sound better?
>>
Thank you everyone. Yesterday there was an Stg 44 thread and some anon said you could legally by one full auto for around 20,000. Is this true? Where can you get one?
>>
>>28020737
SKS and FAL do just fine and they use tilting bolts. The real reason tilting bolts fell out of fashion is because they're expensive and time consuming to machine compared to rotating bolts and I've heard they have issues with modern "fast 5mm" intermediate calibers. FNH ran into them with the early CAL prototypes which they never could get to work reliably. (That said, NORINCO made a 5.56 SKS that arrived just a bit too late to beat the bans. No word on how well it worked though)
The only benefit they offer is being subjectively easier to clean.
>>
>>28020737
>every modern rifle use rotating bolt
Not every rifle, my RFB is a tilting bolt because forward ejection
>>
>>28020932
No journal souded good to me, but I deal with engines a lot so I got where you were going.
>>
>>28020983
If you live in the usa, there is a registry of civilian legal full auto guns. The problem is the registry was closed in 1986, so no new full autos can be added. The ones on the list can still be sold and traded. They are very expensive, and require extra paperwork to own. Also, not all states allow them.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.