[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bow general thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: pDSP1-17456799p275w.jpg (21 KB, 275x279) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-17456799p275w.jpg
21 KB, 275x279
Looking for someone who knows bows as well as guns around here. I know little about bows and want a hunting compound.

What would you say is the "Glock 19" of bows? Aka, it's not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but I won't regret buying it in 2 years.

I don't want the "hi point" or "SIG limited edition" of bows... Just something decent. What do?

Also bow general.
>>
>>27967996
Before you take anything else in, stop and watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Much of the information regarding archery is hollywood myths and spun up falsehoods from archery "clubs" that purport to teach specific ancient styles. Lars has done the grunt work for the archery community in exposing these falsehoods and myths for what they are, scouring an enormous amount of ancient texts and illustrations, digging down to the core of true archery. It's important not to let yourself get swept up by people who claim to have proper techniques, when in reality they have no video evidence of their abilities, nor do they discuss where they actually learned from.

Lars is the real deal, his videos show his skill, and he's very open with where and how he learned, the proper way, seriously I know this sounds like a bunch of playing up but look at the view count and ratings, Lars has changed the archery community.

Compound bows serve no purpose and they will limit your skill and instill bad habits, get a recurve bow, start learning to carry your arrows in your off hand, learn from the techniques discovered and shown in his videos.
>>
>>27967996
>the glock of bows
Whichever one you're most likely to shoot yourself in the leg with.
>>
File: fiberGAAAAAAAAAAA.png (340 KB, 620x455) Image search: [Google]
fiberGAAAAAAAAAAA.png
340 KB, 620x455
>>27968085
>>
>>27967996
There is no glock 19 of bows, every manufacturer makes new models every year because unlike the firearm industry, the world of archery is advancing.
Before you take anything else in, stop and ignore>>27968067.
Like seriously.
Now are you wanting a compound bow or a traditional one? Do you know the difference? What are your goals or plans?
>>
>>27968113
Holy shit how did that dude pull that off?

>>27968067
Here we go again guys.
>>
>>27968143
Nvm, you want a hunting compound, do you want to spend g19 money? So 500-570$
>>
>>27968144
Easily, arrow was too short. Used to be an issue back when bows were slow, now you have to be a super moron or a professional. Guess which one that shooter was.
>>
>>27968153
Let's say M&P or used Glock budget. $350-500. I'd like that price to included a sight and whatever else goes on the bow. That budget doesn't include anything that doesn't permanently attach to the bow.
>>
Depends on what draw length you will need. Check Diamond Edge Pro, Got it last year and very happy with it. (Think of it as an entry Glock)
>>
>>27968249
So arrows and a trigger/release aid you will have to spend another 50-100 on. For that price look at pse or diamond. Both make a good 400$ bow that comes fully equiped. My best advice is to go to your local archery shop or sporting goods store and try them out. A lot if the times they will have last year's models for a good price too.
>>
>>27968584
The infinite edge seems too low end. I was thinking more Bear Authority and up. Then again, I'm going off of perception and less reality.
>>
>>27968067
>Compound bows serve no purpose
opinion discarded
>>
>>27968067
Lars is a showman who has spent years building up an idiosyncratic trick shooting style with low-power bows.
>>
>>27967996
>What kind of bow is like this gun

fucking fuck off kid
>>
File: new bait.png (33 KB, 1138x626) Image search: [Google]
new bait.png
33 KB, 1138x626
>>27968067
>>
>>27968143
>ignore one of the most accomplished archers ever
Uhh...kay?

>>27968858
What purpose do they serve over a recurve? Nothing? Alright then.

>>27969745
Did you even watch the video? Lars went back to study ancient texts and forms of archery, used prominently in warfare. Don't think they used many low powered bows in war.

>>27969826
Call it whatever you'd like, the video and ratings and changing of the archery community speaks for itself.
>>
>>27969842
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkuNpgACH0

Yes, you surely do know oh so much just from that one video.

Come on sweetheart, we want to be corrected by you oh so much.
>>
>>27969956
No, I'm done my fair share of research beyond it, nice try though =)
>>
>>27969842
>What purpose do they serve over a recurve? Nothing? Alright then.

Ahh, I see this kid never used a bow before.

Ok, lets find an anon that's not an utter scrub.
>>
File: stop, i'll pee.jpg (8 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
stop, i'll pee.jpg
8 KB, 236x214
>>27969986
>I'm done my fair share of research beyond it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpGO2VTksIw

Yes, anon. The great scribe of our age.

This is too good.
>>
>>27969989
>Ahh, I see this kid never used a bow before.
Good refutation, you need to be 18 or older to post here.

>>27970008
Same to you =)

No arguments, easy win.
>>
File: 1397251000612.gif (892 KB, 499x231) Image search: [Google]
1397251000612.gif
892 KB, 499x231
>>27970071
You're autistic. I understand that can be difficult to come to grips with, but Please dont spend anymore time inflating your head with mistaken knowledge gained from youtube, especially that of weapon handling. All youre going to do is sperg all over everyone, and we deal with enough of that as it is. Seriously, with the extra freetime you can ne researching something much less harmful to yourself and others, i.e. go poke around your rectum, theres tons to be discovered.
>>
Bows evolve too fast. one model that stuck around for a looooong time, and has killed prob more white tail than any other model, is the PSE Nova. Very old by todays standards though.
>>
Well, if you're a productive member of society with a job and stuff and haven't already dedicated decades of your life to archery like subject in >>27968067
then get a nice $500 compound. I have a G5 Hammer which has been good to me for a few years. I have only brought it to hunt a few times (no luck), but it shoots great on the target. Good to burn some time and for hunting when I would like.
>>
>>27970177
>You're autistic
Didn't even read though, if you're gonna start any attempt at an argument with a meme you've already lost. Reformat it and come back please.

>>27970211
Compounds don't offer anything over a decent recurve.
>>
>>27967996

I haven't shot one myself, but the 2016 PSE Brute Force looks pretty nice for a $500 bow. That's a bare bow though - you'd need to buy a rest, sight, peep, stabiliser, etc yourself/see if you can find a package. Also, a Diamond Carbon Cure could be good. Really lightweight, pretty fast, in your price range. If you're set on a really adjustable bow for whatever reason (like the infinite edge some of these guys are suggesting), I'd recommend the next one up in the line, the Bowtech Fuel - does the same thing, just a bit better.

If you want a general guiding principle when you're looking at bows, I'd personally look at the specs and only consider bows with an IBO speed of at least 320 fps. That's sort of your dividing line between fast and slow and I like to err on the side of fast. If you're inexperienced with compound archery, you should get a 60 pound bow and probably get it dialled down to 50 while you learn (this is another great thing about a fast IBO - you can shoot less weight and still go pretty fast).
>>
>>27970238
>>27967996
>>27970071

Oh alright. Lets read.

>Much of the information regarding archery is hollywood myths and spun up falsehoods from archery "clubs" that purport to teach specific ancient styles

You mean those that actually hit targets and do shit? Not to mention using bows that are 35+ lbs in draw?

He used what maybe the Mongols used, which were on horses.

>Lars has done the grunt work for the archery community in exposing these falsehoods and myths for what they are, scouring an enormous amount of ancient texts and illustration

Looking at a bunch of paintings and a single book doesn't count as enormous amount of ancient texts, nor does it prove anything.

>It's important not to let yourself get swept up by people who claim to have proper techniques

Like Lars Andersen. He's a stuntman. How many of us are going to try recreate that.

I don't expect some neckbeard anon to do that.

>Compound bows serve no purpose and they will limit your skill and instill bad habits, get a recurve bow, start learning to carry your arrows in your off hand, learn from the techniques discovered and shown in his videos.

Or just use what works.

And video. Videos implies Lars made an entire educational on this.

Oh and here's the this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_bow#Technical_advantages

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/lars-andersen-archery-video-debunked/
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
>>27967996
OP, idk your skill or experience level, but im offering my helping hand the best i can, as my bow and firearm knowledge are about equal. I'm no expert, but I've got 12+ years of experience with both. And heres what i have to say, take it all with a grain of salt, and understand theyre my opinions based off of my experiences:

A good option nowadays is a bow that grows with you. The best affordable example of which would be a Bowtech Fuel. It adjusts from 14-70 lb draw weight and i beloeve 16"-30" in length. Its smooth, quiet, fast, and at 45yds i get 3" groups. (I have shaky hands, and i'm cross eye dominant if it says amything about my accuracy) dont know much more about it, wasnt mine, borrowed it from my cousin for a couple seasons. From my experiences, rate it Glock17 out of 10.

A good alternate option is a Bear Crux. It feels much better in the hand (more solid, more expensive, better balanced) than the bowtech, its a bit louder, but definitely more accurate. At the same 45yds on any given day i can manage 2" groups. Both bows shooting 406 grain arrows. Has adjustable an draw length (dont need a bow press) and the box says IBO speed of 320FPS. Not sure how accurate that is but knowing how companies operate its safe to assume that 250-275FPS is more accurate. Eother way its a heavy hitter. From my memory its 30" long. Mine came woth the ready to hunt package, which included a 4 post fiber optic sight, whisker biscuit, dart stabilizer, peep sight, wrist sling and an adjustable quiver. All for the $500 mark. So by your standards im gonna rate it CZ75 out of 10.
>>
>>27967996
Sorry OP, I meant this guy.

>>27968067
>>
>>27967996
just get a ready to hunt package in your price range and then upgrade with whatever suits your fancy from there. usually the first things to upgrade are the sights and arrow rest.

you wont know until you hold it in your hands, but if youre like me and cant get to a store to do that then just order one online with good reviews. ive bought a Bowtech Regulator for 550$ a couple months back and i love it and dont regret it one bit.
>>
File: 1446056658440.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1446056658440.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>27970612
>TL;DR
>Bowtech fuel is great for advancing in skill level. Will do good from noob in backyard to killing whitetail in woods.
>Bear Crux offers more for the money, heavy hitting, better feeling, more accurate, will kill blackbear.

>>27970238
Still a sperg.
>>
>>27970612
>>27970759
>>27967996

On IBO, that's the bow tested under conditions that optimise speed (i.e. at 70#, 30" draw, 350 grain arrow, no weight on the string and shot out of a shooting machine) - it's like a standardised measure to compare bows more than anything you'd actually get in practice.

Still, more IBO is good. You'll lose speed by shooting less weight, heavier arrows, less draw length and using a peep/kisser button, but the more speed (IBO) you started with, the more you'll have left over after all that.

If the crux and the fuel both shoot 320fps IBO, i'd reckon they'd kill a black bear pretty much identically with the same weight/construction of arrow. The crux does look nice, I have to say.

OP, important question: what are you planning to hunt and at what ranges? (Also, how tall are you?). Arrows are a big part of the equation and what kind of arrow to put together depends on what you want it to do.
>>
>>27969842
You're that same troll from /out/. I understand what you're going through, but I was less aggressive about it. I spent months on the lesbian generals pretending to be a straight guy. They ended up accepting me eventually. Can't do that with Lars Andersen towards archers.
>>
>>27967996
I'm a bow technician for gander mountain. The nicest bow that I've seen come in that won't kill your wallet was a Quest Forge. Very nice, lightweight now that was pretty fuckin easy to work on. I think it was originally a 50lb draw but was adjustable up to 70-75lb. Guy said he got it with all the bells and whistles for $400.
>>
>>27969842
You're cute. Have you ever handled a compound bow? Have even hunted with bow? I doubt it or else you wouldn't be saying the compound bow has no place.
>>
>>27971241
Hahaha, yall remember me?
>>
>>27967996
PSE makes good bows that are affordable. If you're new to bow hunting or just shooting in general they are a good place to start.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.