[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interested in AK's, I know nothing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
So I want to get a Kalashnikov patterned rifle, mainly because I'd like to be able to use TULA ammo and fire off a couple hundred rounds whenever I go to the range without spending a ton.

When looking into variants, fuck. There are so many manufacturers and so many different types that I'm a little dazed.

So, /k/. Who has an AK? What do you think about it? How much did you spend (in $$, but also in time to do any mods)? Who makes solid quality AKs that are affordable for a piss poor college student?

Image is the "AK14" by parabellum arms that has a few of their mods mounted onto it.
>>
I feel like I should add that so far I'm looking at a WASR II, and doing some sanding and filing work internally to make the action smoother and the trigger pull shorter. I figure with a budget of ~$1200, a $500 rifle gives me some wiggle room for a stock, grip, optic, etc.
>>
>>27965152
WASR-2's are gonna be the most affordable fully converted 74's on the market and they're good guns. The issue is finding reliable amounts of 5.45 in this country, its not like 7.62 or 5.56.

DDI, Century, and Arsenal are usually good to go. If you want a historically accurate build look at Atlantic Firearms.
>>
File: akguide.jpg (54 KB, 600x663) Image search: [Google]
akguide.jpg
54 KB, 600x663
Here.

Depends on what style of ak you want, either an akm or ak103 which is the modernized style
>>
As far as finding ammo goes, I've been buying from LuckyGunner for a few months (7.62x54R for my Mosin)

They have bulk 5.45 for pretty cheap, and their shipping is very fast.

So if WASR-2's are the most affordable, does that necessarily mean they're garbage? I've heard both sides of the argument made about them, from insane mag wobble to VERY sticky bolts.

http://www.luckygunner.com/russian-5-45x39mm-ammo-for-sale-5-45x3953fmjrussian-1080
>>
>>27965152
Get this one, and don't put any of your plastic shit on it. I made the mistake of buying an optic, rails, and foregrip for mine, and found out I hate all three.

>https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74-underfold-stamped-ddi

Also, is your name Madison or Daniel, by any chance?
>>
>>27965228
Not at all. It's just that quality from the factory varies, whereas with DDI it's inspected, and you can easily get a replacement (because it's a company here) compared to the WASR Romanian stuff.

Also, 5.45x39 isn't as fun as 7.62x39. Just get a 47 if you want to have fun.
>>
>>27965228
https://www.classicfirearms.com/ras47-rifle-ak-type-semi-auto-by-century-arms

found this one, too. Might be worth considering since you're bumpfiring like a faggot.
>>
>>27965244
No, I'm not Madison or Daniel. I'm looking for a 5.45, not a 7.62.
Here's what I found on that site

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ak74-bulgarian-rifle-545x39-semi-auto-by-io-inc

>>27965252
We've already got a rifle chambered in 7.62 (HK91) and I'm looking for the sort of intermediate caliber.
>>
>>27965205
>no VEPR listed
>>
>>27965263
I.O. is shit.
>>
>>27965275
(Could be completely wrong here) Isn't the VEPR single-stack only? I thought that's the only reason' it's considered 'hunting' instead of 'sporting' for the current import ban (that it's unaffected by)

>>27965291
See, these are the things I need people to tell me. Fucking clueless here.
>>
>>27965275
fucker's bumpfiring, do you really think VEPR-chan's a great option?
>>
>>27965304
>See, these are the things I need people to tell me. Fucking clueless here.
Or yet again, lurk more faggot
>>
>>27965312
I don't lurk much, and even less on /k/.

I looked for an AK thread before I posted this and didn't find much.
>>
>>27965331
It's called the /akg/ AK general. Literally right now.
>>27935201
>>
>>27965291
So what makes I.O. shit? Bad machining? Loose tolerances? Less reliable?
>>
>>27965349
Didn't see that, thanks.
>>
>>27965350
Cast shit. Shit rivet jobs. Shit barrels. Shit QC. Shit everything.
>>
>>27965349
one of the times I actually agree with sending someone to the general thread, since his post is so unspecific
>>
>>27965377
I guess that wraps it up then, thanks guys.

/thread
>>
>>27965391
yep, just copy/paste your post over
also, just lurk there and you'll learn a lot
Otherwise, I dislike generals as a whole and barely even watch /akg/ even though aks are my favorite gun to collect by far.
And DESU, your question has been answered fairly well here already.
>>
>>27965419
I don't think I'll need to copy/paste, I've already found someone asking a similar question and read the replies to it. Looks like I'm headed toward a Saiga-made 74.
>>
>>27965428
Just don't buy a shitty conversion if you're going to buy one.
>>
>>27965434

The general thread seemed to have a moderately positive opinion for this as a "babby's first ak"

>https://www.deguns.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IZ240L
>>
>>27965350
Over sized gas ports, cast parts that peen and fail, shit tolerances, poor barrels. Honestly stay away from IO.

If you are looking for 5.45, keep in mind a budget for mags. Tapco works for my build as an el cheapo, there's also tantal mags, Bulgarian surplus, and bakelite among others. Ignore A Bulgy commercial mags, they lack metal in the locking tabs and unless they are dirt cheap don't offer the price/value of crapco or the strength of surplus. Magpul will reportedly announce 5.45 mags at SHOT this year though so that could help a lot.
>>
>>27965463
Izhmash is IO? Ah. That makes more sense.
>>
>>27965152
>a budget of ~$1200
Slavshit has a sort of reverse sweet spot when it comes to price. You either want your pinko rifle to be under 5 or 6 hundred bucks, or more than $2k. At the range you're indicating, there is no benefit over the cheaper guns, despite being twice as expensive, and yet you can't afford the awesome/rare stuff either.
>>
>>27965244
Fuck Madison that bitch still owes me $20 bucks from our fieldtrip to DC.
>>
>>27965494
Izhmash is NOT IO Inc.
>>
>>27965520
>At the range you're indicating, there is no benefit over the cheaper guns, despite being twice as expensive
So a "good" folder stock and legit ak-74 style brake isn't worth anything?
please...
>>
>>27965538
>>27965494

I thought you were referring to the link I had just posted, my bad.
>>
>>27965520

That was $1200 for the rifle, mags, and any other parts I wanted to get for it, but thanks.
>>
>>27965580
IO Inc puts shit together state side. Saigas are made in Russia and then converted from a sportin configuration
>>
>>27965195
> The issue is finding reliable amounts of 5.45 in this country, its not like 7.62 or 5.56.

You can walk into any gun around here and get 5.45. Academy has its monarch brand which is repackaged Brown Bear ammo. I have had no problem finding it when i need it. Also despite what people day surplus is still highly available.
>>
>>27965610
>You can walk into any gun around here and get 5.45
This. I've never had trouble finding 545 in recent years.
Also, there's this new thing the kids are using called the internet.
>>
>>27965640
>>27965610

>http://www.luckygunner.com/russian-5-45x39mm-ammo-for-sale-5-45x3953fmjrussian-1080
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.