[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cold Steel SRK, VG1 vs San Mai iii
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12
File: 38CKJ1_m.jpg (20 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
38CKJ1_m.jpg
20 KB, 500x333
Tldr: Which should I get, VG1 or San Mai iii CS SRK? Any other suggestions on mid-sized "jack of all trades" knives?

I've been looking for a knaifu, in other words a knife that will be with me at all times and a companion of sorts through any ordeal. After much searching, I found the Cold Steel SRK and have decided to get one. I can't seem to decide on the full VG1 blade or the San Mai iii version. Here are my thoughts so far:

VG1:
Pros-
Black finish is sexy AF, even after it starts to wear away.
Has a saber grind which means there is a lesser chance of edge damage during heavy-duty tasks

Cons-
The blade is made entirely out of VG1, making it more likely to snap than the San Mai iii laminate.

San Mai ii:
Pros-
The laminate of tougher stainless on the outside makes the knife less likely to snap under high stress.

Cons-
The hollow-ground blade is more likely to take damage.

My primary goal is to get suggestions on which version of the knife is better and why.

If anyone has any suggestions on alternate knaifus, my goal is a knife that can always be on my hip or in my bag without any major inconvenience, so it can be used for self defense, basic utility, and potential survival situations at all times. As such, it needs to be medium size (5-7 inches, maybe more but diffidently not less), be strong enough for me to stake my life on in a survival situation and generally have the crap beaten out of it. Be able to perform finer tasks such as carving fairly well (once again, some super thick awkward blade would not be ideal). Finally, it should have some variety of clip point to allow it to work well as a staber in a tactical situation.

Any info or suggestions are welcome.
>>
Oh, one more thing, I'm looking for a knife that's under $150 or so, maybe just a little over. The San Mai iii is $100, and the VG1 is even less.
>>
>>27962317

>not getting an ESEE knife

Do you even operate though?
>>
>>27962392
The only one that comes close to what I want is the ESEE-CM6, and I can't find many reviews, demonstrations, or hard use/destructive testing videos.
>>
>>27962484

Any ESEE is going to be light years ahead of CS for general innawoods purposes.
>>
>>27962508
While It does seem like ESEE blades are designed more for bushcrafting, I'm not looking for an exclusively survival blade. I'm looking for something that will be able to carry out survival tasks fairly well without breaking, but will also be convenient for everyday carry/use. Considering that only one of their knives has a tip that comes close to the SRK's clip point, and that knife has very few reviews/tests (as well as the fact that the SRK has over 20 years of history as a solid knife and is used by Navy Seals during training), the SRK seems to be the stronger candidate.
>>
>>27962508
Oh, one other thing, ESEE knives also rust. Although I don't care too much about it being stainless, without some sort of major failure in the SRK or absolutely amazing performance and consistency in an ESEE knife, I don't think it's worth it to switch to a blade that can rust.
>>
>>27962618
>>27962723
Knives dont rust as long as you take care of them.i really dont get "muh rust" i live in a humid area and all you need to do it keep the blade dry or apply mineral oil.im gonna say esee.the warranty is amazing enough for me to buy it.also aus8 a shit.
>>
>>27963077
I've never had much of a problem with my carbon steel blades either, but in a theoretical survival situation, you may not be able to keep your knife from rusting. Also, Cold Steel has a decent warranty, and their knives (at least the SRK) don't tend to break. Oh, and the SRK is made from VG1, not aus8a anymore, and it was the heat treating that CS used on the aus8a that made their knives stand up well even when using crap steel.
>>
>>27963173
hi i am a hobo with carbon steel knives
i ride freight trains around the country and live in the woods
this is my reminder that your knives only rust if you're a retarded failure
so unless you're dumber than an alcoholic, train hopping, busking serial camper you will be fine and can't use that argument as a con
>>
>>27962317
Would recommend anything from Buck Knives in their 420HC, they have a fair number of good fixed blade knives right around $100.

I've never had a Buck knife rust, and they are probably some of the most durable out there. I've constantly used mine as beater knives, and have only had the tip break off on one due to sticking it in between two drawers and whacking it when i was drunk
>>
File: buck nighthawk.jpg (131 KB, 600x427) Image search: [Google]
buck nighthawk.jpg
131 KB, 600x427
>>27962317
>>27963323
The full size Nighthawk (pic) is pretty great for what you are describing, the Brahma is also good and more of a sturdier KA-BAR style if thats what you're going for.
>>
File: buck 120.jpg (65 KB, 750x484) Image search: [Google]
buck 120.jpg
65 KB, 750x484
>>27962317
>>27963323
The Buck 120 is also goddamn sexy, and measures in at 7.5", guaranteeing you a dick extension. However I personally prefer a more textured/ergonomic grip, but that depends on your taste.
>>
>>27962317
Get the San Mai, it kicks fuckin' ass and is a wicked value for laminated steel. Once you hold it in your hand you'll understand.

CS San Mai knives are considered limited edition now, too, so you better just buy it if you want it

>>27962508
I own both, calling bullshit on that. ESEE is good but cold steel is better
>>
>>27962317
I naught my SRK from the PX at Camp Victory in 2004. I still have it and I abuse it like a thick Asian hooker.

Mine is the aus8 steel and I've had no problems with it. I have split wood for kindling when I was stupid and didn't bring an axe, I have pried open hasps on locked barn doors, and I even put down an injured dog with it when I didn't have a gun (not my favorite thing to do, I really like dogs but the owner was too poor to send him to a vet and he was in real pain.)

In short, it has been there for me several times when I couldn't access the right tool for the job and had to make do. I definitely do not regret buying it.
>>
>>27963631
how did you put down the injured dog?
>>
>>27963438
I have this exact knife, the only complaint I have is that the grip is a bit small for those with large hands, but incredibly well made overall.
>>
>>27963438
I have a 119

really like it but the handle ergos are weird to me. i prefer the srk honestly
>>
>>27963637
He used the blade to cut off all its hair and it died of exposure. How the fugg do you think he put it down??? He would have slit its throat! Fuckwit
>>
>>27962317
Thats a very nice looking fallkniven s1 you got there bro
>>
>>27963077
>>27963173
>Aus8 is shit

Confirmed for knowing nothing
>>
>>27963747
Aus8 a shit. Compare it to good knife steel, and youd know that its too soft. Which is particularly bad if you're not a person who regularly sharpens your knives.
>>
>>27963760
>Its been 455 days since I left the armchair
>>
>>27963779
Tbh its probably 455 days since i left the chairforce
>>
File: download (4).jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
14 KB, 259x194
Honestly if you want a real "be there at all times" kind of knife, I'd recommend any of the Fallkniven lineup. I only mention them because Cold Steels design is "inspired" by them but of lower quality. The fallkniven's steels and grinds are far superior for a do all knife and have even been issued to military forces (albeit an airforce)

Tl:dr get a fallkniven it's higher quality blade in every way and cold steel is a cheap knockoff by comparison.

Low quality pic related A1 on the left and SRK on the right
>>
>>27963747
Aus8 isn't too bad but most modern steel isn't as long as it's heat treated well, aus8 is comparable to 440b or 8crmov, they are ok but not as good as basic carbon steels or nice high quality steel
>>
>>27963791
Its been 5 years since the apocalypse. The USA is littered with discarded A1s because nobody has the tools with them to sharpen a 6mm convex blade. The world is now run by those with pedal powered belt sanders and hollow ground Aus 8 knives. I remember having to sell my wife for a re-grind on my A1. The shame. The waterstones I had did nothing. No-one told me it needed to go back to the factory man, no-one fucking told us..
>>
>>27963791
If you mean the swedish air force (pilots) using them as survival knives, theyve also been issued to their SERE school and ranger units (swedish ranger units are more SF oriented than army rangers if thats worth anything to you). Since they also have a discount deal with their armed forces, its a very common knife (barring that wonderful Mora knife).

If youre a bit hesitant on dropping that money on a knife, that would definitively be my other recommendation. Moras are more expensive outside of sweden, but they are still remarkably high value. If you're looking for bang for your buck, thats what you want to look for.
>>
>>27962317

SRK

You will not cry about pounding on it or abusing it. The finish does come off, but that's to be expected.

The only thing I don't like is that the sheath rubs away a little bit of the handle each time where it holds it in place. It eventually wears to a point where you can see a divot in that part.

The SRK I've had for years
>>
>>27963791
lol it looks like you used either of those knives exactly one time, if even that
>>
>>27963801
aus8 is better than those steels.also cs does a top tier heat treat
>>
lel this fucking thread.

Anyone who tells you AUS8 is shit doesn't use their knives.

>>27963791
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc92oOGEc44
dumbass
>>
>>27963961
>cold steel shill
>nutnfancy

Confirmed for mall ninja. Please do link a video of an obese man cutting ham with it to prove me wrong.
>>
>>27963971
lol he shows pics and video of himself using the knives, unlike you, armchair faggot
>>
File: 20141119_193334.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20141119_193334.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>27962392
ESEE. Accept ni substitute
>>
>>27962723
>Muh rust

Even stainless steels rust if you don't take care of them. You'd likely have to intentionally not take care of an ESEE for rust to become a factor. Rust is generally not something to worry about.

That being said, if you want the SRK then get one. I'll throw in a vote for VG1, CS's san mai stuff always seemed gimmicky to me.
>>
>>27963906
It's extremely similar in composition to those steels and cs has ALWAYS had shitty quality control and questionable heat treatments
>>
>>27964700
I dunno man, I EDC one of their aus8 knives and it's always done everything I've asked it to do with no bullshit
Which cold steels have you used?
>>
>>27964706
Carbon v srk, recon tanto, and uwk, bushmen from various years, two clip point voyagers on of them was the early handle, a bunch of their hawks, a paradox, American lawman, ak47

Quality control between the models always varies, go into a store that carries a lot and look them over real close, I had a desperado that was so soft the serrations would fold under use on cardboard

Cs has interesting designs, some that are even close to worth the money when you get a good one but in general they use the least expensive steel they can get away with and they subcontract to cheap factories that don't focuson quality control, their warranty is shit and their customer service will either be good or complete shit depending on who you end up getting

I've never owned a cheap buck that had a bad heat treat but I've seen a lot of Sog and cold steel that do, and bucks cheap 420hc performs pretty similar to aus8 too, especially with a guaranteed good heat treatment and warranty
>>
File: Fallkniven-A11.jpg (516 KB, 2300x650) Image search: [Google]
Fallkniven-A11.jpg
516 KB, 2300x650
>>27962317

Fällkniven A1 or S1

Forget about the SRK, it has long been outclassed
>>
>>27964993
Just pick the F1.

Just pick the F1, man.
>>
>>27963791

It's actually Fällkniven that copied and improved the SRK design,

Fällkniven was just a distributor of Cold Steel knives in Sweden, then they decided to make their own knives.

Both Fällkniven fixed blades and Cold Steel San Mai blades are made in japan by Hattori in Japan, so other than the difference in design they are identical in quality

I still prefer Fällkniven though.
>>
>>27963810

You're a massive retard. Convex edges are extremely easy to sharp, and the A1's geometry doesnt hinder sharpening.

You can even do it with sandpaper or a leather belt.
>>
>>27963961

Are you seriously believing nutnfancy? he is a confirmed Cold Steel shill.

San Mai SRK is equal to Fällkniven in quality of materials because they are both made by Hattori in Japan, but Fällkniven's designs are miles better.
>>
>>27962341
Fallkniven S1. It's the better version of that knife.
>>
>>27965005

Why?

I have an A1 and a WM1.

How is the F1 better at anything than any of those?

I'd have bought an S1 if it wasnt short as fuck
>>
>>27965017
From Fallknivens website "After some years active use, the edge finally becomes so thick that the blade needs to be re-ground, that is, slimmed down so that you can continue to use a whetstone or steel on your knife." Looks like you are the massive fucking retard.
>>
>>27965112

You stupid cunt, you'll never get to that point with vg10 with normal use, nor do you need to remove as much material as with other steels.

And that regrinding applies to all knives that are thicker than a kitchen knife, Fällkniven is just honest about it.
>>
>>27965134
Normal use for you is probably cutting newsprint once a year whilst cleaning your collection of factory edges.

>applies to all knives
>what is hollow grind
>what is scandi grind

Ignorant fuck
>>
>>27965167

Hollow grind needs regrinding eventually, and if you think taking a scandi to your apocalypse wife-selling roleplay fantasy is a good choice then I can't argue past that level of ignorance.

Also if you have to rely on speculating what normal use is for me then you have nothing more to say

CUNT
>>
>>27965185
Stay mad faggot
>>
File: 035465385.jpg (199 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
035465385.jpg
199 KB, 640x480
Since I don't want to start a new thread just yet and this post, >>27963791, got me thinking about one of my potential all rounders as well.

Anyone have any experience or have heard any information regarding these knives:
https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/7878/knives-and-folding-knives/knives/j-p-peltonen-m07-ranger-knife-kydex#

If they are anything like what the Finnish made during WWII, I figure this would be a good all rounder. That being said I can find only a small amount of information on them.
>>
>>27963760
Oh, there is a single universal heat treatment used for AUS-8 by all companies? No one told me that.
>>
>>27963810
>he doesn't know how to sharpen convex edges
>be thinks you need a belt sander to sharpen

Typical know nothing /k/lown talking about knives when he doesn't even know how to sharpen. Be quiet, you're just embarrassing yourself.
>>
File: The-Power-of-Laughter.jpg (51 KB, 708x404) Image search: [Google]
The-Power-of-Laughter.jpg
51 KB, 708x404
>>27963961

You're surprised by this? Knife threads on /k/ are usually just collections of factory edges and opinions being spouted by faggots who think their 6 month old factory edge is still sharp.
>>
File: 1446489932413.gif (1 MB, 264x264) Image search: [Google]
1446489932413.gif
1 MB, 264x264
>>27965112

Stop posting. You are so ignorant about knives that you aren't even aware that all knife grinds except a pure Scandi grind will begin to thicken behind the edge after repeated sharpening.

As people on kitchen knife forums (who actually use and sharpen their knives regularly, unlike you faggots) will tell you, you will eventually have to grind the primary blade bevel of any non-scandi ground blade to restore the factory thinness behind the edge.
>>
File: 1444260348483.gif (456 KB, 160x159) Image search: [Google]
1444260348483.gif
456 KB, 160x159
>>27965167

>Thinking this doesn't happen to hollow grinds

Ayy lmao
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.