[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There are break, pump, lever, and semi-auto rifles and shotguns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 1393842661419.jpg (23 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
1393842661419.jpg
23 KB, 569x428
There are break, pump, lever, and semi-auto rifles and shotguns readily available in the U.S. but when you ask people what they have or what they recommend 99% of the time it's the same two answers. Semi-auto rifles and pump shotguns.

Why /k/?

What problem does a semi-auto shotgun have that a semi-auto rifle not have? If the reliability is such a plus for pump action, why do we never hear about pump/lever action rifles or lever action shotguns?
>>
>>27959063

The answer to your question is in the simple definition of the word "Technology"
>>
People usually recommending pump action shotguns are bubbas who consider "Da sound od da shotgun pumping" to be a bonus.

Also magazine-fed shotguns have the problem of the shells deforming when stored long term. A tube fed semi-auto doesn't have this problem, but if you're modern enough to get a tube fed, you're probably going to just make the jump to a rifle because 3x capacity.
>>
>>27959063
>shells and bullets are the exact same thing
>>
Also price.
>>
>>27959063
a shotgun is expected to shoot light bird shot, medium bird shot, heavy bird shot, light buck, medium buck, heavy buck, light slugs, medium slugs and finally heavy slugs.

A rifle shoots the bullets designed for the rifle.
allowing for more consistent pressure for cycling.

A shotgun doesn't have that luxury. thus a shotgun cannot compensate for the variety of ammunition it's expected to shoot.

I hope this answers your question.
>>
930spx
>>
>>27959063
People advocating pump-action shotguns are either poor, stuck in the 19th century, or some combination thereof.

There are semi-auto shotguns out there that feed reliably with anything and don't have magazines to avoid shell squish: FN SLP, Benelli M4, Remington 1100, etc.
>>
>>27959063
the main problem with semi auto shotgun are price
this is the big one

the other is capacity
semi auto isnt that helpful of a feature when youve only got 2-7 rounds and reloadings a bitch
its nice to have but not required

yeah youve got saigas with 20round drums but the drums are fuckhuge and heavy nobody's going to carry a bunch of spare saiga mags on their person
>>
>>27959107
Pretty much this. A pump shotgun will fire just about anything that will fit in the bore.
>>
>>27959107

I can load slugs and bird shot in the same magazine and fire through it all no problem.
>>
>>27959063
Personally I'm a fan of single barrel break action shotguns for fucking around because they're simple and fun to fuck around with different loads and stuff. I also find leveraction shotguns sexy as fuck but you run into a lack of selection.
>>
>>27960995
Also shout add that leveraction rifles are also pretty common. To be honest anything leveraction is sexy as fuck as long as its not some .22lr pistol or something. Fuck the "mares leg" or whatever it's called. Also some lever guns are wobbly as fuck depending on the build quality.
>>
File: 835.jpg (80 KB, 433x800) Image search: [Google]
835.jpg
80 KB, 433x800
>>27959063
>What problem does a semi-auto shotgun have that a semi-auto rifle not have

Consistency of ammunition

>>27959063
>why do we never hear about pump/lever action rifles

Because pointed bullets in a tube fed magazine is bad news bears

>>27959063
>lever action shotguns?

Because pumps are faster

Why don't we hear about bolt action shotguns?

They're a thing.
>>
>>27959063
Pump shotguns are cheap and do not require "high power" ammo to cycle like semi auto shotgun do.

Pump/lever rifles, while fun, can't typically handle the power of modern rifle ammo such as the 308 or 3006
(Yes, I know things like the BLR or that Remington Pump rifle exist. It's a generalization and industry trend).
>>
>>27961082

I run trap load through my super Vinci all the time. Just has to be 3 dram eq or more. Ive seen a few beowning maxus's that so cycle with metro Loads.

Cheap semis are a waste of money, good ones are excellent.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.