[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"IT'S A MAGAZINE NOT CLIP!!!!!!11$%Z&@#%"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12
File: 308AR5rdmag.jpg (48 KB, 485x442) Image search: [Google]
308AR5rdmag.jpg
48 KB, 485x442
What started the whole aggressive corrections? It doesn't bother me when it's called a clip. Like most of you, I grew up around guns, shooting at local clubs, family, and friends with military or LE backgrounds and a lot misused the term and it's never been an issue, in fact it's not even mentioned. You don't see car guys bashing others for similar term mix-ups...

Did it start when guns in video games became more popular? Clip, Mag, doesn't make a fucking difference.
>>
>Clip, Mag, doesn't make a fucking difference.
I'll let it slide when someone refers to it in passing, but once someone starts talking in-depth about guns, or when a fucking video game oper8r whose job it is to shoot guns yells "clip", then I start to take issue.
>>
Rise in autism
>>
>>27947413
It started when assholes got on stage in front of millions of people and talked about clips, magazine clips, shoulder things that go up, ghost guns, yadda yadda. All while trying to convince us they should be banned.
>>
>>27947413
Wow is that one of those Metal spring trap stripper clip? :^)
>>
File: 1389944973795.gif (287 KB, 499x373) Image search: [Google]
1389944973795.gif
287 KB, 499x373
>>27947413

This thing happened not within the firearms community, but when we started communicating with the anti-gun community. We let these minor misconceptions slide among gun owners, but when we saw Liberal anti-gun kids saying wrong terms, we couldn't stand it. Our eyes were twitching in anger.

It's just a cheap ad hominem attack we use when we have nothing else to say. Call them stupid and say things like "DONT TALK ABOUT GUNZ IF YOU DONT EVEN KNOW A SINGLE THING ABOUT GUNS!!!1!"

That's how 60% of online gun debates end.
>>
>>27947474
so youre response to an attack on your freedoms is:

"Its not 'We need to get rid of these 30 rounds clips!' its 'We need to get rid of these 30 rounds magazines!' God get it right libtard scum!"

Way to make gun owners look like autists and make anti-gunners that much more angry.
Its like when the NRA posts articles like "Registering guns proven not to be effective at stopping gun crime" or "gun used was obtained illegally, registration pointless." Thats not helping the fucking cause! All that does is make anti-gunners go oh that does not work? Well then we will just ban all guns and try that.
Fucking stupid fucks.
>>
File: ClipE1M1.png (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ClipE1M1.png
33 KB, 640x480
I'm inclined to believe this is a major contributor. Lots of nogunz first introduction to firearms was in Doom. Now that they are "of age", generally speaking, they utilize the term as a catchall.
>>
>>27947413
Because that's literally not what it is, I don't get angry I just correct people.
>>
File: clip_or_magazine.jpg (81 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
clip_or_magazine.jpg
81 KB, 750x600
>>
>>27947546
No, dumbass, its to kill the person's credibility proposing the ban. You rip their stance apart by showing they don't know wtf they're even talking about.

"I have an Assault Rifle 15 that can shoot 1200 rounds a minute and can be equipped with deadly assault clips!"

Shit like that is said by the anti lobby all the time. So you go ask them to demonstrate it, and when they flounder, you rip them a new one.

Maybe the increase of spot corrections on here is a byproduct of people wanting pro-gun people not to sound like jamall and his glock 38 problem solver and other stupid shit we get labeled with.
>>
>>27947546
poor b8 tho.
>>
>>27947546
The mentality is less about getting is right as much as it is frustration about people trying to ban things without an understanding of how they function which is why primers like link related are handy.

http://www.assaultweapon.info
>>
>>27947579
all you do is alienate gun owners from anti-gunners. You might make whatever senator look dumb in the eye of pro-gun people, but they allready were. You think the average house mom or college activist will give a fuck about you correcting their misuse of the term clip? They dont even know the difference but at the end of the day they know either word means "high capacity bullet holder" which they are against.
>>
File: 4-M1-Garand-w-En-Bloc-Clip.jpg (31 KB, 606x327) Image search: [Google]
4-M1-Garand-w-En-Bloc-Clip.jpg
31 KB, 606x327
>>27947577
John Garand, Lord of the Clipazine.
M1:10 - And so sayeth he after the US Military was afraid of soliders losing magazines, "insert the clip into the magazine" and he saw that it was good.
>>
>>27947413
Mostly when it's the people who yammer on about it and consistently get shit wrong while thinking they're the most amazing thing ever (in essence, what >>27947445 said)
>>
Both have been used as industry terms for decades. This is not some "recent development".

http://stevespages.com/pdf/mossberg_390ka.pdf - Here's a vintage manual in PDF where Mossberg uses magazine

http://stevespages.com/pdf/new_haven_250c.pdf - Here's a vintage manual in PDF where Mossberg (under their New Haven line) uses clip and magazine

About as autistic argument as those fuckos that get pissed over the "four rules" devised by a money-hungry ex-cop who was truly the James Yeager of his era.
>>
>>27947413
I believe it came about when anti-guns started saying clips. So now its associated with no-guns and anti-gunners
Generally, I let it go even though I get an eye twitch
>>
File: 1369343752024.jpg (155 KB, 599x461) Image search: [Google]
1369343752024.jpg
155 KB, 599x461
It's bothersome because the distinction between a magazine and a clip is not only easy, it's one of the easiest bits of terminology to learn about firearms. If someone who knows little, or claims to know little about firearms makes the mistake, it's not that big of a deal. If you correct them and they begin using proper terminology from that point on, it's not a big deal.

What gets to me is when people who claim to be knowledgeable about firearms make the mistake multiple times. It's even worse when they then try to justify it. "They're the same thing, and even if they aren't, who the fuck cares?" I care, because this is an example of an utter refusal to learn proper terminology. One of the easiest bits mind you. That's when you start to get "aggressive corrections" as you call them. So many people make the same mistake over and over again, then stubbornly refuse to learn proper terminology. It's kind of like being a big fan of automobiles, then having 9/10 people call tires "rubber circles", or the gas tank a "fuel barrel". It's not something anyone actually gets angry about, it's just a pet peeve.
>>
File: 1446850345021.jpg (101 KB, 624x658) Image search: [Google]
1446850345021.jpg
101 KB, 624x658
>>27948062
>that cartoon
>>
File: tommygun_course.jpg (58 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
tommygun_course.jpg
58 KB, 500x394
The FBI called it a "clip" for years. Only autistic faggots worry about this shit.
>>
The inventor of repeating firearms, Abraham Lincoln, called them clips
>>
>>27948948
Legit governments also thought the world was flat once.
>>
>>27948948
>FBI
>any law enforcement agency for that matter, and the military too
>knowing anything better than "don't look down this end, don't pull this lever"
Damn. You know, that's just the dumbest thing i've heard all day.
>>
>>27948948
>Only autistic faggots worry about this shit.

There's that term again. I guess a knowledgeable enthusiast or professional in any field who insists on using correct terminology is an "autistic faggot" then? Wanting people to use correct terminology is not autistic, especially when it's something as simple as distinguishing between a mag and a clip.
>>
>>27949188
"Autistic faggot" isn't for people who use the correct terminology, its for people who get triggered if someone else doesn't, despite the entire world knowing what he's talking about.

Autism causes you to disrupt a conversation because someone said clip instead of magazine, and you MUST correct the person right then and there for some reason.
>>
>>27947413
SKS/Mosin/Garand fanboy faggots
>>
>>27948986
not since fucking 1800bc you jack ass.
>>
>>27947546

I would have at least a tiny modicum of respect for those people and their opinions if they would at least demonstrate that they took the time to gain some basic understanding about what they're talking about.
>>
File: 1446807637087.gif (87 KB, 209x172) Image search: [Google]
1446807637087.gif
87 KB, 209x172
>>27948986
>Legit governments also thought the world was flat once.
Go read a fucking book for once, we've known the earth is round AND how big it is since the ancient Greeks.
>>
>>27949369
This.
The 'people were fucking stupid in the middle ages' was actually 'enlightened' people in the Renaissance shitting all over the middle ages because they were the modern day equivalent of progressives.
>>
For a non /k/, what is the difference?
>>
>>27949588
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=clip+vs+magazine
>>
>>27949588
A clip holds things together. A magazine holds things together and also feeds them into something else.

For smallarms, if it has a spring, or is shaped like a box (or drum, but whatever), it's probably a magazine.

A clip is generally used to fill a magazine, but takes the operators actions to do so
>>
>>27947413
Isn't it a /k/ thing? 4chan culture is pretty abrasive towards outsiders, and so, people who are evidently not in the know, deserve to be shat on until they leave or see the error of their ways.
>>
>>27949369
are you calling pre-greek governments nonlegitimate?
>>
>>27949188

This >>27949201

Getting upset by someone's completely insignificant choice of words when referring to something, especially when you know what the fuck they're talking about, is the literal definition of autism.
>>
>>27950257
I never voted for no Babylonian godking.
>>
>>27950293
>not voting for Gil
go kill yourself
>>
>>27947413
From what I understand it had something to do with a bad batch of a stabiliser\ preservative in vaccines.
>>
>>27947531
What is the gif from?
>>
>>27949588
Clips are used to load magazines, magazines load guns. Older rifles sometimes used internal magazines that were not removable (i.e. the stock has a spring in it). Pushing a clip into the gun loads the internal magazine. Sometimes you discard the clip immediately, sometimes it stays until you empty the magazine.
>>
File: highcapacityassaultclips.jpg (129 KB, 900x601) Image search: [Google]
highcapacityassaultclips.jpg
129 KB, 900x601
>>27947413

it does make a difference.

you out a clip in an M1, you put a magazine in an M14,

if somebody says an M14, AK-47, M16, glock, etc etc etc etc etc feeds from a clip they are technically incorrect, and when you talk about guns, you need to be as correct and direct as you can be.

example-you go to the lgs and ask for a clip for your AR. they will (read; should) direct you to pic related.

its like saying 7.62s. i need some 7.62s for muh rifle, what kind of 7.62?
>>
It likely carried on in reference to ammunition holding devices since most early war fighters loaded rifles with clips. As years went by and weapons moved to magazines, sergeants probably continued to call them clips, and it has carried into present day by fudds and their children.
>>
>>27950842

>warfighter
>>
>>27950712
>autism
like those other guys said.
>>
>>27950888
just kill yourself
>>
>>27948904
It triggered me, especially because it's a mistake made by somebody who is making propaganda.
>>
>>27950712
So if you are on the range shooting a weapon that is only fed by magazine, you do not have any clips, and someone says "how many rounds do your clips hold?"
Do you:
A) Reply with the amount
B) Reply and say, without any snide or attitude "My Magazines hold (amount)"
C) Snicker like an asshole and say "I don't have any clips, these are magazines, what the fuck is wrong with you? I can't wait to post on /k/ about it!"

A is normal, B is correcting without being condescending, C is autism.
>>
magazine is a gay word its called a clip

if shakespeare can invent words I can use words how I fucking want

get fucked kiddo
>>
File: Berserker.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Berserker.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
>>27950328
Why don't you come over here and make me.
>>
>>27947413
>You don't see car guys bashing others for similar term mix-ups...

Yes we fucking do. If you call a wheel a "rim" you're likely to get socked in the face
>>
>>27947413
Welp, if someone at the range calls a magazine a clip, I immediately assume they are a fucking CoDer and will not allow them to touch my firearms in any way, because they are retarded and are more than likely capable of blowing their own brains out with an unloaded weapon.

I'll be polite and such, but get the fuck away from my goddamn Gewehr you fucking retarded pleb. No, you cannot hold it, go change your diapers.
>>
>>27955047
>This
If you're playing in the sand box with people that know what the fuck they are talking about you had better be on their level.

>>27951540
>B) It's a 'X' round magazine.
But I instantly assume they know jack&shit about guns.

People that call magazines 'Clips' are the same people that call all hand guns 'Glocks' (Figuratively speaking)

It just denotes a lack of education on the subject.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.