[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /k/s opinion on mercenaries? If you were to join a merc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 500px-Il_Condottiere.jpg (109 KB, 500x692) Image search: [Google]
500px-Il_Condottiere.jpg
109 KB, 500x692
What is /k/s opinion on mercenaries? If you were to join a merc group (preferably american or at the least english speaking) which group and for what reasons?
>>
Oh! And which one would be most likely to send you to the sandbox?
Would joining a US Mikitary group be better for sandbox ops?
>>
Triple Canopy
G4S
Erinys
Dyncorp
Aegis Defence Services
Academi
>>
Nothing at all? I thought /k/ would have some good info to share or at least an opinion. If theres nothing to be said i'll go elswhere.
>>
>>27946760
Halliburton/KBR for the reason I go past their HQ every day.
>>
Los Zetas(in it's youth with the defected special operators)
Blackwater//Academi
Executive Outcomes
>>
>>27946707

Merc life is hard and not romantic at all. The one and only attractive over the rest is the money you make.

Lots of fucked up shit you cannot even imagine. Worse things than death.

Also merc work can range from security anywhere to operator-tier jobs such as assassination or hostage rescue.

Anyone who wants to live the "warrior" life is better off serving in their respective armies and aiming for their respective special forces branch.
>>
File: rsz_avatar2.jpg (3 KB, 90x90) Image search: [Google]
rsz_avatar2.jpg
3 KB, 90x90
>>27946818
>Los Zetas
Only a handful defected and had intended to from the start of their training, get your info from a wetback instead of from wikipedia. It's all hype and propaganda.
>>
>>27946831
So special forces or just military (army specifically or any branch) would be a more achievable/opportunistic goal to operate inna sandbox than merc work?

I figured as a merc youd have more personal freedoms than you would in the military.
>>
>>27946910
south African here I know a few old boys who were merc and did jobs in Africa . lots of theyre time was spent training locals or security , the times they did go fight they had a hard time getting everything they needed to do the jobs . as fare as I was told the guys who did go to Iraq had the same shit in the 80s/90s , they mostly stayed on base
>>
>>27946910

Not only more achievable (because respectable/reputed pmc companies only recruit from ex sf and rough units) but also with better securities, both in and out of your job.

Literally the only thing better in a pmc is the copious amount of money you get payed. Everything else works against you in a personal security level (that is, getting your ass killed or worse).

Also, it's a very Hollywood assumption that mercs work with no rules or that their rules are any less strict. In a pmc company you have to do whatever the company demands, which can be more lax in some aspects but stricter in others.

Dont think you dont have to follow retarded rules in a private company.
>>
Is it possible to just be a gun for hire? Travle to specific war riddled land and just join the fight? I'm sure its a possibility but i have no idea how you would even start doing something like that. The machinegun preacher is a good example of that but life isnt a movie and im sure there would be more shit to deal with.
>>
>>27946997

Wow, Jesus, just no. How old are you? How down to earth are you? Is that a serious question?

That's what militias are. That's suicide in a very retarded way.

Militias dont train you for shit and you die to a slav or a sandnigger or a boko or worse.

Why the fuck would you want to go to war as a civie?

You get more training and less danger enlisting.
>>
>>27946992
I don't know all the ins and outs of pmc, thats why i came to you guys. I figured there would be some good info here on the subject and even if there wasn't i'd still get some opinions. Honestly i havn't found a whole lot of good info on the subject, most sites don't have good coverage on what any of the pmcs are actually doing and im well aware that any media (tv, movies, games) are glamorized and not a good resouce for what its like.
>>
>>27946707
The last true merc group died with Executive Outcomes
>>
>>27946992
Which branch would be the best to join assuming i can't make it into any sf?

Which sf would be the best to join assuming im at the top of my game?
>>
>>27947074
Why do you say that?
>>
Let me rephrase OPs question. Ahem,
How can i get paid to fight in a war while retaining the most freedom possible.

Side question: What is /k/s dream?
>>
Pmc work cannot be complete garbage if people are working for them instead of the military. Sure theres a portion that would do it soley for the money but theres no way every single employee is like that. Fuck, G4S is the second largest private employer. So, if you absolutly had to join a pmc who would you pick and why?
>>
>>27946707
You better enjoy third world shitholes, because that's where you're staying for until that gay U.N. resolution is dropped.
>>
>>27946794
>If theres nothing to be said i'll go elswhere.
Is that a threat, or a promise?
>>
>>27946707
>If you were to join a merc group (preferably american or at the least english speaking)
>PMC's
>Mercenaries
Fun Fact: you're just a glorified security guard if you join a modern security consultancy firm. The days of Executive Outcomes are long over.

Yes, your company is called LE MERCENARY COMPANY by the media but really, you aren't. You can't into offensive to begin with and your entire job would be to guard some oil rig/boat/celeb in some unstable third world region.

Real mercenaries are pretty much criminals hired by tinpot dictators to train their armies/fly their aircraft.
>>
>>27947106

What country are you in?

You can join from other places, but they have to have a reputation for being good from a military perspective, and by good I mean extra tough and competent.

For exaple if you are a successful Legionnaire from 2e REP you might also have a chance.

If you're in the USA any branch that is considered special or superior does well.

Bear in mind there is no universal standard, but you should never underachieve. There's no saying if by being basic infantry you'll be accepted by a company, but chances are you won't or that you will get a shit job. Think from a businessman's perspective: You want the best you gan get, not some grunt.

Also please bear in mind being a merc is NOT a goal, it is something circumstantial. Forget about it. That's not the mindset at all, and it should always be something that comes with time (or not) if you're needy of cash or adventure (or whatever the fuck).

Your goal should never be becoming a merc, instead you should enlist and hope to be the best soldier you possibly can. Life will work it out in the end.

>>27947286

The pay is way better and some companies may admit people that would not be accepted by the military, which again, doesnt mean it is any less strict.

Also, your perception of it all is all wrong. It's not "If you absolutely had to join a pmc" You will never "absolutely have" to join, in fact you will have a very fucking hard time getting hired at all.

Pmc companies dont want you, it is YOU that must want to join and plan/do accordingly.
>>
>>27947111
Because these Private Military Companies all do security ops and odd jobs that real armies won't do, EO used to go in wiping out rebel villages in Hinds
>>
>>27946831
>>27946831
This
>>27946910
You do, you also dont have things like casualty evac, or a government that will go to great lengths to get you back if captured, and no incentive for your captors to treat you like anything except the evenings entertainment. Its kind of a non-issue anyways. There arent hollywood style groups where you just show up with a gun and get in.

After 15 years of war the market for hiring is crawling with bored former operators who get snapped up by the big contracting groups, and run of the mill grunt combat vets clogging up the grey and black market gigs.
On top of that the market was already saturated with all of the stazi, NKVD, KGB, and assorted other soviet bloc secret police types who suddenly found themselves unemployed in the 90's.

Besides, anything other than a contractor job for the government (which only typically hire retired staff NCOs, officers, and operators anyways) is just gonna be hired muscle for some dictator or crime syndicate. And once you do that say goodbye to ever getting back in to the US or seeing your family again.

To be a merc you really need to have no life except the job.
>>
>>27946997
>Is it possible to just be a gun for hire?
Not really.

Sure, you can travel to war zones and fight, but don't expect to get paid when the locals are doing it for nothing or almost nothing just to protect their communities.

And don't expect the locals to welcome you with open arms and treat you like some sort of Lawrence of Arabia character. At best they'd see you as an edgy tourist. At worst, they may suspect you of being a Western intelligence operative trying to infiltrate them. There's a decent chance they'd just kill you and take your gear.
>>
I appreciate all the feedback, its all very eye opening. I understand i have a very warped view of all this.
>>27947485
If im being too retarded i'll sit in the corner and keep my mouth shut.
>>
>>27948383
I think the biggest mistake you are making is the pretty common one, and that is thinking being a merc or a contractor is an alternative to joining the military. In reality such groups arent gonna even consider hiring you if you arent atleast a legit combat vet.
Technical jobs too. The GBOSS and camera guy who got paid 6 figures a year to maintain our base security camera system and train new operators? Former marine 1st sgt. His boss who oversees 20 guys who do that job? Former army major.
The guys who bomb around in land rovers with beards and tatoos outside the wire? All formerly Seals, delta, green berets.

The illegal jobs
A) dont pay nearly that good.
B) hire dipshits, its not gonna be a tight knit lovable crew of mavericks. Its gonna be a bunch of guys too fucked up to be civvies, and too stupid or inexpierienced to be legally hired contractors.

Got a buddy who does legal maritime security work, and his first outfit was sketchy as fuck and got posted on a floating armory off the coast of somalia for 6 months. Talked with him about it, heres what he said:
Crew:
3 ex singapore coast guard
2 russian guys of indterminate military background
2 army guys
2 marine grunts
1 former french legionaire

The russian guys shot steroids all day, the singaporans had gay threesomes every night, the army and marines each paired up (1 army, 1 marine) in hating eachother, the singaporans got into a lover quarrel and one "just went missing" 2 singapore guys said other singapore guys "left." Ya know, off the coast of somalia, without collecting pay. Probably got murdered and tossed overboard.

And this was a legal operation (albeit a very poorly managed one.)
He got off that job and managed to get on with a more professional outfit. But yeah, my buddy was one of our scout snipers in afghan and iraq, he was tough as fuck and I never once saw him wig out, but when he came back from that job he was really fuckin pissed.
>>
>>27946707
>merc
>Being 15
>>
>>27946818
>Executive Outcomes

I thought they disbanded?
>>
>Posting in a retard thread.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.