[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun noob here. Just wondering. How come a bolt action rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: lbtact01large.png (245 KB, 1200x435) Image search: [Google]
lbtact01large.png
245 KB, 1200x435
Gun noob here.

Just wondering. How come a bolt action rifle tends to be more accurate than a semi automatic?
>>
Less moving parts
>>
>>27942065
Placebo
>>
No gas is vented towards cycling the action, making it a non-variable and high velocity compared to rounds from semi-auto. That's about the only thing which by design sets them apart. Not to say that semi-autos can't be highly accurate; I think the M110 was something like .25MOA in testing.

Also, bolt actions which are tuned for accuracy tend to have really ideal triggers, barrels, optics, etc, etc which makes it seem like the average bolt action is inherently more accurate, when that's all stuff that *could* go on semi-autos, but semi auto rifles (especially military ones) usually make accuracy concessions in the name of durability, maneuverability, or lower cost.
>>
>>27942065
Simple answer.
It's easier to build an accurate bolt action because there is less going on. No gas systems hanging off the barrel and whatnot.

A semi can be built to be as accurate, but more complicated means more expensive.
>>
>>27942065
>Tends to be more accurate.

Not without weighting down everything.
>>
>>27942082
Fair amount of that as well, your average duhr gun and your average AR will both probably be 1.5 to 2moa guns when you find the right ammo and don't suck at shooting.
>>
>>27942105
This, but I'll translate it:
Basically when the trigger is pulled all of the explosion pushes down the barrel (making the lead move fast). Nothing else moves.
In a semi-auto the gas is recycled back into the action just prior to the round leaving the barrel. This stsrts the bolt moving to put the next round in. The effect is very slight, but even a slight movement is seen when you are shooting out past 1000meters.
To say bolt action is "more accurate" is true, but its like sayingn arc welder gets hotter than a TIG welder. It only matters if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>27942174
>its like sayingn arc welder gets hotter than a TIG welder
But a TIG welder is an arc welder.
I guess you mean stick welder or something.
>>
>>27942219
No, an arc welder generally refers to SMAW.
>>
>>27942268
TIG is GTAW (gas tungsten arc welder). Unless you're referring to old school shit almost nobody uses anymore like oxyacetylene welding pretty much every process in the industry is a type of arc welding.
Maybe it's a common way to call it in general though, I'm in welding school so we tend to get autismal about the terminology.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.